Tech Terrors!

Barnum

“Okay, I’m ready to go!†Velocity replied, agreeing to Emissary’s suggestion. She zipped over next to Hybrid, holding out her hands to take the device so she could get it back to Freedom Hall in a few seconds.

Hybrid handed over the device. "Here you go. Careful its heavier then it looks."

He then looked to the others and shrugged before becoming airborne. "To Freedom Hall then?"

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Okay, I’m ready to go!†Velocity replied, agreeing to Emissary’s suggestion. She zipped over next to Hybrid, holding out her hands to take the device so she could get it back to Freedom Hall in a few seconds.

Hybrid handed over the device. "Here you go. Careful its heavier then it looks."

He then looked to the others and shrugged before becoming airborne. "To Freedom Hall then?"

Taking the device, Velocity was then gone in a blur, rushing down the side of the building and then, once she was out in the open street, really pouring on the speed. There was a faint *CRACK* that echoed as she broke the sound barrier.

A few seconds later she had arrived at Freedom Hall.

Taking the device, Velocity was then gone in a blur, rushing down the side of the building and then, once she was out in the open street, really pouring on the speed. There was a faint *CRACK* that echoed as she broke the sound barrier.

"I'll remain to see if there's anything more to uncover here. Call me over on the communicator though if the source of all this is determined."

"I'll remain to see if there's anything more to uncover here. Call me over on the communicator though if the source of all this is determined."

Velocity made it back to Freedom Hall in seconds. The others arrived soon after.

"Good work!," Daedalus said, taking the box from Velocity. "I have no idea how long this will take. Feel free to relax here or go home. I'll call you when I have something."

With that, Daedalus took the device and locked himself away in his workshop to try to solve the technological mystery.

The Emissary remained behind to see what he could see. Other than the emergency workers and ASTRO Labs employees who quickly showed up to clean up the mess made by the falling bats, there was nothing to report. He couldn't find any trace of the tell-tale red glow, and no more "monsters" showed up to cause trouble.

After a few hours, Daedalus contacted the heroes to let them know of his progress.

"I have isolated the carrier wave for the transport beam and have begun jamming it. If my calculations are correct, Freedom City should no longer be plagued by teleporting monsters. I'm working now to analyze my previous scans, trying to isolate the source of the beams, but this could take some time. I'll be in touch."

In the days following, Daedalus' calculations proved to be correct. Freedom City was, i deed, monster free . . . for the time being.

Velocity made it back to Freedom Hall in seconds. The others arrived soon after.

"Good work!," Daedalus said, taking the box from Velocity. "I have no idea how long this will take. Feel free to relax here or go home. I'll call you when I have something."

With that, Daedalus took the device and locked himself away in his workshop to try to solve the technological mystery.

The Emissary remained behind to see what he could see. Other than the emergency workers and ASTRO Labs employees who quickly showed up to clean up the mess made by the falling bats, there was nothing to report. He couldn't find any trace of the tell-tale red glow, and no more "monsters" showed up to cause trouble.

After a few hours, Daedalus contacted the heroes to let them know of his progress.

"I have isolated the carrier wave for the transport beam and have begun jamming it. If my calculations are correct, Freedom City should no longer be plagued by teleporting monsters. I'm working now to analyze my previous scans, trying to isolate the source of the beams, but this could take some time. I'll be in touch."

In the days following, Daedalus' calculations proved to be correct. Freedom City was, i deed, monster free . . . for the time being.

While the other heroes headed to Freedom Hall to report back to Daedalus . . .

It only took a few minutes before the well-oiled ASTRO Labs security machine launched into action. Serious looking young men and women with body armor and high-tech weaponry fanned out in the parking lot and swarmed the rooftop, sealing off the area and beginning the recovery and clean-up process.

With a little bit of coaxing and flashing his Freedom League-issued comm badge, the Emissary got the attention of ASTRO Labs security chief. She was an attractive but stern middle-aged woman dressed all in black with her hair in a very business-like bun. She addressed the Emissary's requests directly.

"My name is Lauren Loafman. I'm head of security here. Thank you for your help. We have very sensitive detection equipment on the roofs of all our buildings but no video cameras. It seems impossible that someone could attach a device to our dish by any conventional means without setting off an alarm. We are checking satellite feeds now and contacting the military . . . on the off chance that someone got a picture of our rooftop during the incident."

She paused, putting her finger to her ear. Someone was talking into her nearly invisible ear piece. "I'm on my way," she said in response.

"Come with me, and we will see what the sensor logs have to say."

The woman began making her way across the parking lot back toward the main ASTRO Labs building. They had to take a circuitous route to avoid the giant bat carcases and other debris.

It only took a few minutes before the well-oiled ASTRO Labs security machine launched into action. Serious looking young men and women with body armor and high-tech weaponry fanned out in the parking lot and swarmed the rooftop, sealing off the area and beginning the recovery and clean-up process.

With a little bit of coaxing and flashing his Freedom League-issued comm badge, the Emissary got the attention of ASTRO Labs security chief. She was an attractive but stern middle-aged woman dressed all in black with her hair in a very business-like bun. She addressed the Emissary's requests directly.

"My name is Lauren Loafman. I'm head of security here. Thank you for your help. We have very sensitive detection equipment on the roofs of all our buildings but no video cameras. It seems impossible that someone could attach a device to our dish by any conventional means without setting off an alarm. We are checking satellite feeds now and contacting the military . . . on the off chance that someone got a picture of our rooftop during the incident."

She paused, putting her finger to her ear. Someone was talking into her nearly invisible ear piece. "I'm on my way," she said in response.

The woman began making her way across the parking lot back toward the main ASTRO Labs building. They had to take a circuitous route to avoid the giant bat carcases and other debris.

He nods to her and follows along.

"I would suppose that it is possible that the device was affixed via teleportation, and.. well, it may show up as some sort of recorded flux of energies or the like. When was the last instance when your maintenance staff were up there? If recently and they had not noticed anything, it would at least provide a time frame for how early this could have been done."

"I would suppose that it is possible that the device was affixed via teleportation, and.. well, it may show up as some sort of recorded flux of energies or the like. When was the last instance when your maintenance staff were up there? If recently and they had not noticed anything, it would at least provide a time frame for how early this could have been done."

The woman didn't answer until they were inside the building and in the elevator.

"Our security detail is vetting the personnel and maintenance records now. They should have report about activity on the roof within the hour. And if something teleported onto the roof, our sensors should have recorded it." She paused for a moment as if thinking. "That would be a disturbingly precise teleport, indeed. How was the device affixed to the dish?"

The woman didn't answer until they were inside the building and in the elevator.

"Our security detail is vetting the personnel and maintenance records now. They should have report about activity on the roof within the hour. And if something teleported onto the roof, our sensors should have recorded it." She paused for a moment as if thinking. "That would be a disturbingly precise teleport, indeed. How was the device affixed to the dish?"

The Emissary, walking along with her, describes how it was affixed.

"Though I would imagine it could have also been done mundanely, it just lingers as a possibility."

(OOC: His player can't exactly recall the details of how it was affixed *cough*)

"Though I would imagine it could have also been done mundanely, it just lingers as a possibility."

(OOC: His player can't exactly recall the details of how it was affixed *cough*)

Ms. Loafman rubbed her temples. "I'm not sure which I find more disturbing, that our attacker has the ability to make teleports so precise that he can install equipment with them, or that our attacker can manually install equipment in our facilities without our detecting him. Neither is a very pleasing prospect."

The elevator stopped on the 8th floor, but the door didn't open.

"Excuse me."

Ms. Loafman leaned over in front of the Emissary and put her thumb on the innocuous-looking black plate just below the "emergency stop" button. The panel flashed for a second and then the doors opened. The Ms. Loafman stepped off the elevator into a very busy control room. ASTRO Lab techs were working frantically, trying to analyze every piece of data they had collected.

"Where's my report?" Loafman barked.

A man with long sideburns and a thin face looked up over his computer screen. "Five minutes," he said.

Loafman looked for a moment like she might jump across the bank of computers and rip his head off with her bare hands, but the look quickly passed and she turned to the Emissary. "You drink coffee?"