SCC & Star Island

Quark's underpressure thinking was getting the worst of him. Being shot at means they plan to do worse! "Hold still," the boy shrieks at Dark Star before taking another shot. The white beam strikes Dark Star and engulfs his whole body, covering him in a luminescent sheen. "Insufficient data analysis," the suit relays to its owner. If they could see Quark's face they would know it was whiter than the beam that just shot from him.

The thugs in front of Dark Star and Quark were pinned to the ground, immobile, as he landed in front of them. Despite their struggles, they were pinned and very stuck. The ones who had been working on the device that the Doctor just appropriated turned in shock, curses leaving their lips. And the other group of three working on a similar device, even though they weren't looking at anything but their device, started swearing as well. They turned as one and drew their weapons heading immediately for the two supers in front of the doors. The larger group charged forward, but their shots went wide. The first four entered Dark Star's gravity field and were immediately slammed into the floor. The rest managed to stop their forward momentum. They were going to take aim next time...

Both the Doctor and Dark Star noticed that as the Doctor flew further and further away from his original position, the device started beeping insistently and faster, the strange character moving fast and faster as well. But the real thing they noticed was that both the device the Doctor was carrying AND the other were doing the exact same thing simulataniously...

That's odd: this thing seems to be beeping and cycling faster and faster the further we get from the hangar.

Bah! I'm sure it's just doing so because we jostled it. Best start trying to defuse it now so we can be hailed as-

No, we need to test something first.

What? No, wait, stop!

Archeville turned and flew back to the hangar. "Do you vant to go back to your brother?," he cooed to the device. "Of course you do."

He makes a beeline for the other device -- though careful to go around what appears to be an increased region of gravity -- and zips past the recently-abandoned device up as he goes by.

Dark Star frown as the others managed to pull back from the gravity field in time. He couldn't keep one set pinned in the field and target a second group at the same time...BUT he could just create a new field! Dark Star extended his hands and created a new field encompassing both the groups. There was a brief abatement of the pinning gravity before it came down once more. Only the two smaller groups were still free but there was nothing he could do about that currently.

As the Doctor attempted to grab the second device, he became aware of a few things. One, the 'bomb' was quite heavy; the materials were some kind of advanced metal polymer (not exactly common level of production on Earth)and he was certain by now that it was a bomb. And it was now very, very active. Another is that he was certain that the bombs were linked somehow given that their blinking and beeping was perfectly insequence. Likely the two bombs are designed to arm and explode depending on being moved or seperated, and consequently would need to be disarmed simulataniously. Given the rate of occurrence on the characters changing or the beeping, it was likely that they were going to blow relatively soon. And lastly, given the strange but rather advanced designed and the size of it, the explosion would probably not be minor....

• 2 weeks later...

Quark assesses the situation, "Floating bombs, pinned down thugs, thugs trying to get floating bombs. I have already already used two of the 5 charges on the duplicator ray. Dark Star seems highly resistant to it. Seeing as that did not work, I must try to get the away from the bombs!" Quark issues a command that slowly turns the silver substance coverin into a pair of bronze clockwork gauntlets.

The three attackers by the bomb raised their weapons and fired randomly above, trying to shoot whoever was trying to move them. All their shots went wide, none coming close. One of the blasters suddenly heated up and started sparking, falling to the ground useless and melting.

The group just outside of the gravity field shot through it at Dark Star and Quark but the gravity caused the shots to ground out too soon. The 4 from the first bomb charged forward, their weapons blazing away, two shooting at Quark and two at Dark Star. And while two of those shots managed to hit, neither of the heroes were injured.

I just realized, this thing's really heavy. Really heavy.

What? It can't be that heavy. And if it is... well, I'm sure some of it was countered by our extreme forward momentum.

I... I don't think that-

Silence! I've just figured out an impressive way for us to save the day (and the space plane for our later examination)!

The levitating device drifted down until it lay next to its brother. A moment later, Doktor Archeville appeared, though not before he had made some adjustments to his Electromagnetic Screwdriver -- adjustments which would enhance certain aspects of his Gravimetric Belt -- and clipped the two devices together.

"Good day, gentlemen. You vouldn't be interested in telling me vhat dese large beeping, flashing devices are, vould you? I dink dey are, very soon, going to do vhatever it is dey are going to do."

Dark Star reversed the field, sending those pinned rocketing upwards. He turned to Quark, "Uh, not sure if you can handle those 4 or not. If not, duck back outside and I'll figure something out! Or, if yer better at that sort of thing, you could help the Doctor with those devices." He really had no idea what the young man could do. All that had happened so far was that Quark had tried to shoot him. Twice! He looked up as the attackers reached the peak of his area. He nodded to himself and canceled the field, letting them crash back down. Hopefully it'd knock a few of them out so he could stop having to pin them.

• 2 weeks later...

"I can handle myself, sir," Darian says pointing the overly mechanical gauntlets at one of the standing thugs. The thug is slowly lifted in to the air a only few feet and dropped, then quickly picked up again and slammed into the ground again. And again. And again. And again.

• 2 weeks later...

As one of the attackers was battered into unconsciousness, the other 3 opened fire at the two heroes. However, their rapidly shrinking numbers must have unnerved them give how poor their shots were; one even fumbled and dropped his weapon!

By Doc, the thugs seemed to focus in on the the fact that the bomb(s) were active and 'counting' faster... Like good, logical minions everywhere, they immediately yelled in horror and turned to run as if they could escape the blast zone in moments. Highly unlikely but the fear on their faces (before showing the Doctor their backsides) showed they weren't thinking logically.

Are you sure this is going to work? I'm a bit uneasy on some of those calcula-

Of course it will work! We are a genius! And once we save the Space Plane -- not to mention the entire SCC -- we'll be hailed as heroes!

Yes, but it's what you'll want to do afterwards the concern- waitasecond.

What now!

Is that what I think it is?

Since you're the inferior part, I doubt it- oh. Oh my.

Archeville looked on as the men freaked and ran, "tsk, tsk, tsk. Criminals dese days: so jumpy, so anxious! One vonders vhy von vould ever enter into such a high-stress field mit such little revard."

Then he looked down at the two synchronically-beeping devices, then did a double-take when he noticed one section of paneling had slipped a bit and he glimpsed something which made him pale®. "Oh, my, my, my -- you vere keeping secrets from me! Come, tell me everyding," he said as he gently removed the panel and began poking around, "confession is good, und prevents blow-ups. Und ve definitely do not vant you blowing up, not mit dat antimatter payload."

• 3 weeks later...

Dark Star nodded. "Apologies. I had no idea of your capabilities." He gestured and the remain three thugs shooting at them went flying up towards the ceiling before falling back to earth with a thud.

As the Doctor probed the device and began shutting the machine down, a few things became obvious. One, the other device was linked and would need to be shut down simultaniously, at least according to the design. The other was that despite the majority of it's advanced components, some of the internal piece used to assemble it were of good old fashion materials he was easily familiar with. Someone had probably assembled it, poorly, using whatever pieces they had. It was still rather deadly but the curious nature of the device was even more confusing now.

Dark Star gestured, sending those last few fleeing thugs to the floor with a thud. As soon as they were down, he started reaching out and pulling the various unconscious thugs closer together, looking for something to bind them with.

We don't need his help!

Yes, we do!

No, we don't!

Yes, we do!

No, we don't!

Yes, we do!

Archeville continued working, which had in truth consisted mostly of exploring the workings of the device. "Remove de access panel, ten centimeters below de bottom right edge of de timer, den carefully slide de quaternary trigger svitch back, being careful not to let it touch de sides. See de bundle of vires below? Dey vill need to be cut in de following order...."

The two geniuses made short work of the strange bombs despite the anti-tampering circuits. Within moments, the control panels and lights dimmed simultaniously, turning the bombs into oversized paperwieghts. They were, relatively speaking, safe.

Dark Star quickly gathered the lots of the thugs together and kept them pressed to the floor as he headed over to the other two heroes. "Nicely done!" He took his first look at the devices and paused. "Hey, those are Grue weapons! But they look a little wierd. Wonder where the heck they got those things," he mused outloud.

See, we did need his help!

Eh, more like he needed ours.

... anyway, now to find out whee these fellows got a hold of such unusual equipment.

Oooh, interrogation time!

Archeville stood, smiled and winked at Quark, then began walking over to the pinned crooks. As he did, he adjusted his E.S., and several nasty spikes and crackling energy probes and other very nasty-looking things slid in and out. "An excellent qvestion, Herr Star. I suggest ve examine de frontal und parietal lobes of deir brains for de answers...."

Quark grins wickedly at the doctor's gesture. He tries to look shocked and sound suprised, but it sounds more like it's being read dryly from a script, "But doctor, where would we find the anesthesia out here. You are not pondering what I think you are are pondering, are you doctor. No, do not do it." Quark quickly floats toward Doctor Archeville and puts his hand on his shoulder, feebly trying pull him away.

It was easy to wake up a number of the restrained thugs. They could barely even squirm given how firmly they were held down. The disgust and hatred on their faces was plain as day.

Dark Star looked a little confused. And not just because of the Doctor's thick accent. "Uh, shouldn't we let the authorities take them into custody? I'm certain they could interrogate these people to find out who's behind this." The idea of actually torturing some was incredibly foreign and very wrong to him. "We can't hurt these people. Despite their crimes, we are heroes and we don't do such things."

The criminals however, seemed a little unnerved. "The Overshadow will rule! You'll never stop him! You've already lost! Just because this pathetic place wasn't destroyed, his agent still acquired the information! You'll never find the supply planetoid that he has acquired through his greatness! All will bow to the Overshadow!"

With the technical personnel, an unnamed and plain looking figure dressed as a scientist detached himself from the crowd and slipped away, a small disk containing vital information hidden on his person...

Overshadow?!

Alright, the Big Leagues!

Archeville pressed one of the larger buttons on his Electromagnetic Screwdriver, and all blades, probes, drills, et cetera retracted into the handle. "You are qvite right, Herr Star, de authorities should be notified. Can you do so vhile maintaning your hold on dem? If not, I can call dem in."

Archeville then turned and looked for Dr. Andel.

Dark Star nodded. "Sure, shouldnt be too hard. They aren't that strong. If you could call for the police, that'd be good. Still working on the whole radio emission thing."

Beyond the three heroes, and the small horde of thugs, the large building was empty. Just two large and advanced explosives and one space plane. All the soldiers and SCC personnel were likely still running...

Bah! We must do everything ourselves!

... yes, because we subdued all those assailants and defused both devices all by ourself.

Archeville reconfigured his Electromagnetic Screwdriver into something resembling a very large cell phone, and dialed 911. "Ja, hello, dis is Doktor Archeville. I am at de Star Island Space Control Center, vhere dere vas an attempted terrorist attack. Several men tried to set up two very large bombs here, but I und some associates stopped dem. De devices haff been defused, und de criminals are being held. Can you send somevon over, please? ........ Ja, ja, I vill hold."

He faced the fleeing scientists and personnel and waved to them, in a half-hearted attempt to indicate that everything was alright.

It took a little while for the hero to get through the flustered 911 operator and request for support/an arrest team. Meanwhile with the cessation of violence and the arrival of the military, the several scientist & SCC personnel, slowly filtered back into the warehouse. Their greetings and thanks to their saviors was surprising brief as they quickly scurried in to assess the damage done to their precious projects.

It took another few minutes after that for Doctor Andel to arrival, looking rather winded. He simple glanced at the various terrorists that the military was rounding up and turned back to the heroes. "Thank goodness for your arrival! I shudder to image the consequences if you hadn't been here. You are all unhurt?"