SCC & Star Island - OOC

Cyroa

The pistols are devices (Blast 5). The rifles are blast 8.

But Insub 3 doesn't protect me from like energy guns though I thought? What does a crit normally do? (DS is immune to crit hits I believe so don't think it matters.) The pistols don't bother him as he has Impen 6.

How do you know they miss or hit? Still learning all this. Gotta understand the bruised and HP stuff too.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pistols are devices (Blast 5). The rifles are blast 8.

Ah, that's a bit different. Though since Quark was hit by a pistol, and his Impervious is > the damage rank of the pistol, he still doesn't need to make a Toughness save.

But Insub 3 doesn't protect me from like energy guns though I thought? What does a crit normally do? (DS is immune to crit hits I believe so don't think it matters.) The pistols don't bother him as he has Impen 6.

Ah, you're right, I was mis-remembering how Insub worked. Yes, the energy blasts can damage you (unless they're Gravity Blasts); physical attacks (like regular bullets) can't (unless they're Affects Insubstantial bullets). Well, the energy pistol blasts can't, either, though that's due to your Impervious. The rifle ones can damage you.

DS needs to make a Tougnhess save, DC 23 (15 + damage rank). Fail by less than 5 (i.e., get a 19-22), he's bruised. Fail by 5 or more, but less than 10 (i.e, get a 14-18), he's bruised & stunned for a round. Fail by 10 or more, but less than 15 (i.e,, get a 9-13), he's stunned & staggered. Fail by 15 or more and... well, DS actually can't fail that badly, not at this time against that attack, since the minimum he can get on this Toughness save is 11.

You're right, DS is immune to crits. (They normally add +5 to the damage rank; immunity to crits means they don't get that +5.)

How do you know they miss or hit? Still learning all this. Gotta understand the bruised and HP stuff too.

Like I said at the beginning:

If the result of that attack roll equals or is more than (Target's Defense +10), it hits.

If the die roll for the attack is a natural 20, that's an automatic hit, regardless of how high the target's Defense is. If the total result of the attack roll would have been enough to hit anyway, that's also a crit.

Ah, cool! Thanks again DA!

Dark Star resist the attack: 1d20+10=27 (I'm at work and can't recall my password for the site ;) )

editting the post shortly

wasn't sure if I should put this in the IC or not since you haven't gone yet but here's the info:

DA: With the Doctor's extensive knowledge, it looks like the group he is hovering over is working on some kind of bomb or explosive device. A strange design, not looking like exactly like a standard explosive but it definitely has that "I'm a bomb" kind of feel to it. It looks like they just finished loading something into the case and are now sealing it up. One of them reaches over an activates the device, causing strange symbols to appear (not a language you know or are familiar with) and lights light up.

Okay, one more question: how big is the "bomb"? Small enough for one man to carry? Or so big as to require two or more folks to carry?

Doc's going to move the device. If it's small enough, he can swoop in (Move By Action) to try and grab it now. If it's too big for him to do that, he'll have to use his Electromagnetic Screwdriver for some Magnetic Control effect, but reconfiguring his Gadget is a standard action, and he's already used a move action, so he wouldn't be able to try and move it until next round (unless he surges this round).

It is approximately 4 feet long and maybe a foot and a half in diameter. Looks like it had been 4 seperate pieces before assembled. It is currently sitting on the workbench, surrounded by the 4 figures. Obviously, you won't know any weights. But it _is_ armed by your action.

Alright, that sounds like it's Small, so its Defense should be 6 (5 + Size modifier for non-held, non-carried, immobile objects).

His Flight lets him move 2,500 feet, so he can carry this thing well outside the hangar. And his Move-By Action feat lets him move, do a standard action (like grab the bomb), and move again, as long as his total amount of movement doesn't exceed what he can normally move in one move action. (In other words, he can take part of a move action to move, then a standard action, then the rest of the move action to move again.)

Unfortunately, we realized nothing happens: Dark Star's Impervious Toughness (rank 8) is greater than Quark's Alt Save/Toughness Resisted Mimic (rank 6), so he cannot Mimic anything from Dark Star.

If not for that Impervious Toughness, though, DS would need to make a Toughness save (DC 16). If that failed, Quark would then Mimic 30pp worth of stuff from DS.

See, this is why I'm not entirely comfortable with letting players spend pps while a character is actively in a thread :P

In that case, yes, it could work.

I thought you could voluntarily fail any save, but the books say you cannot voluntarily fail a Toughness save. I'd say that you can, as long as the Toughness isn't coming from Protection (which is Permanent); you can choose to not add the bonus to Toughness from Constitution or Force Field, and just make a Toughness save based on your Protection.

Which, I believe, would work out to a Toughness of +6 for DS.

As for whether or not he would: would he, seeing as he knows squat about Quark and that weird beam he's firing? ;)

I keep track of when those points get added, timeline/story wise. so I know which thread I get them. otherwise, it doesn't seem fair to me.

Normally, I 'd say no and that my chars would of course resist. But I did state in the char write-up that DS is rather naive/trusting towards heroes... I leave it in the Ref's hands. roll a die or something (that's what I'd do if I was GMing a tabletop) and let me know! :)

So he misses...

Quesiton: It seems to me that the Doctor, despite language differences and different technologies, should be able to make something out of the dangerous devices. Some assumptions, ideas or basic clues. But have no idea if that is true or even what skill it shold be based off of...

Dark Star frown as the others managed to pull back from the gravity field in time. He couldn't keep one set pinned in the field and target a second group at the same time...BUT he could just create a new field! Dark Star extended his hands and created a new field encompassing both the groups. There was a brief abatement of the pinning gravity before it came down once more. Only the two smaller groups were still free but there was nothing he could do about that currently.

I don't think he can do that, not without Split Attack.

Not doing 2 seperate attacks. stopping the first and 'attacking' again. since I can't move the area or anything, have to start over. He has a 50' radius, so that's 100' diameter. Should be easily enough to get them (or at least the one who are attacking near the door), but since the initial area is set, he has to target a new area.

Or am I totally wrong in this?