Combat Question

Hellbound

I have some confusion going on regarding a few aspects of M&M combat. After taking a moment to get over the image of two pieces of candy in Roman gladiator garb, please let me know how the following three concepts work if you have the time/understanding:

Total Defense

Dodging

Defensive Stance

Okay...page 159 of the core rules describes the Total Defense combat action as sacrificing your attack in exchange for a +4 to your Dodge Bonus. Okay, that makes sense. I decide to spend my time getting out of harms way so I see a nice return on my leaping about like a frightened bunny. Got it.

However, page 161 displays a chart of Defense Modifiers which lists something called Dodging. Is that a reference to taking the Total Defense action, is is there listed an actual Dodge that a character can perform on top of that? I'm not sure why they would have listed Total Defense as Dodging, but the game doesn't seem to be 100% consistant in its terminology in all cases.

Further, there is the Defensive Stance modifier that can grant up to an additonal +1 dodge bonus for each -2 Attack (up to a total dodge bonus of +2), that a player declares. Can this be stacked on top of Dodge/Total Defense? I'd have to guess that... no, don't be stupid, you can't do that... but I'm not seeing clarity in the rules at the moment.

Further, when can all of this be declared and/or swapped around? Can a player declare a defensive stance on his opponents turn and then switch to an aggressive stance on his own? I'm not entirely sure of the timing as to when declarations have to be declared.

Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Okay...page 159 of the core rules describes the Total Defense combat action as sacrificing your attack in exchange for a +4 to your Dodge Bonus. Okay, that makes sense. I decide to spend my time getting out of harms way so I see a nice return on my leaping about like a frightened bunny. Got it.

However, page 161 displays a chart of Defense Modifiers which lists something called Dodging. Is that a reference to taking the Total Defense action, is is there listed an actual Dodge that a character can perform on top of that? I'm not sure why they would have listed Total Defense as Dodging, but the game doesn't seem to be 100% consistant in its terminology in all cases.

Since the bonuses are the same (+4 dodge bonus to Defense), I'd say that, yes, they are the same.

Further, there is the Defensive Stance modifier that can grant up to an additonal +1 dodge bonus for each -2 Attack (up to a total dodge bonus of +2), that a player declares. Can this be stacked on top of Dodge/Total Defense? I'd have to guess that... no, don't be stupid, you can't do that... but I'm not seeing clarity in the rules at the moment.

I'd say you're on the money. ;) Taking a penalty on an attack you won't make isn't really a penalty.

Further, when can all of this be declared and/or swapped around? Can a player declare a defensive stance on his opponents turn and then switch to an aggressive stance on his own? I'm not entirely sure of the timing as to when declarations have to be declared.

I'd say that, like the use of feats such as All-Out Attack or Power Attack, you declare them on your action in a round, and you're stuck with what you chose until your action on the following round.

Okay, 'nudder combat question has come up. What's the most amount of damage that a character can take without actually feeling it or being moved by it?

Hellbound has an Imipervious Toughness of +10. Would he even feel something that did 10 or less damage, or does it all depend on what he throws on the save?

And since you have to fail a Toughness save by at least 5 (Stunned or worse) to suffer knockback, attacks with a damage bonus of +9 or less won't even move him. So no, a .45 slug or a shotgun blast wouldn't knock him off his feet.

Note that this doesn't apply to dedicated Trip or Rush attempts. Or lifting and throwing him in a Grapple - that would depend on the Strength of the grappler and Hellbound's (considerable) weight.

To expand on what Ecalsneerg said: It's up to you whether your Impervious ranks mean that a bullet just bounces off your skin, or if it punches through but the wound heals up instantly behind it, or if it punches through and leaves a hole but you just don't seem to notice or suffer for it.