Triple Murder in Riderside, Rebooted [OOC]

Dr Archeville

Sorry, Doc. That was too cool an interaction to pass up, especially once I rolled "19" on the Mind Reading check.

And thus, the foundation is laid for Doc Ark to join The Outsiders, rather than begging for scraps at the Freedom League's table. :D

Doc's need a 21 to oppose that result, so I won't even bother rolling. That, and, yeah, it was cool ;)

And now Scarab knows Doc's dark secret -- well, one of his dark secrets -- that he's got low-grade (for now) dissociative identity disorder (previously known as multiple personality disorder).

(If you'd gotten a 20 on the Mind Reading, I'd provide hints on his other dark secret ;) )

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably carrying him would be the most effiecient way... of course, he is still a teenage boy with raging hormones, so... :oops:

The Affects Others Concealment is Touch-Range. And I don't think I could carry him very quickly with a Strength of 8. So just take my hand, suck it up, and get your skate on. : P

As far as I know, once we're in The Lair, one of us is taking 20 on Computer checks to crack open the boy's hard drive, and on Knowledge checks relevant to our investigation. I believe that includes Arcane Lore, History, Life Sciences, Pop Culture, and Theology/Philosophy. Razorback, feel free to add any I missed. And the other (presumably whoever has the lower bonus) is taking 20 to assist. I've got a default INT bonus of +4, and Jack of All Trades (so I don't count as "untrained").

As far as I know, once we're in The Lair, one of us is taking 20 on Computer checks to crack open the boy's hard drive, and on Knowledge checks relevant to our investigation. I believe that includes Arcane Lore, History, Life Sciences, Pop Culture, and Theology/Philosophy. Razorback, feel free to add any I missed. And the other (presumably whoever has the lower bonus) is taking 20 to assist. I've got a default INT bonus of +4, and Jack of All Trades (so I don't count as "untrained").

Agreed.

Slamdance can take 20 on Pop Culture and Computer, 24 each, and Current Events for a 22. For the rest he is not help out all.

I imagine it will take most, if not all, of the night to get through all this.

Razorback, that was a massive wall of text, so feel free to break it up into bite-sized chunks when writing your replies.

It's gonna be a long night/day of reading. If Slamdance wants to go exploring, The Scarab won't stop him. He's got enough Leaping and Acrobatics to get around in The Lair just fine. Feel free to look at the maps on my character sheet. Let me know, and I can describe any of the other areas. Or you can drop $5 and just buy the .pdf. :D

Just to make sure everyone's clear regarding the whole issue of The Scarab's public legacy: A quick stroll through Heroes Knoll / Liberty Park will reveal his life-sized memorial statue. And a re-run of the Freedom Friends cartoon can also quickly answer the "Who was The Scarab?" question. He died before most of the active characters were born, but he's probably still a household name with anyone over the age of 40. Information on him isn't difficult to find.

Kill them! Kill them all, drink their blood, and gain their power! You are a wolf among cattle, but drinking in the eternal power of the Scarab shall make you a god among wolves!

*ahem*

Avenger may want to check out some of the other demonic activity he heard of, such as the hellhounds in the Fens (Paris Hilton carried a tiny poodle around in a handbag, maybe Demon-Women carry hellhounds, and the Fens aren't that far from Riverside), or the demonic activity among the gangs of Lincoln (which is further away, but who's to say one of the demons didn't slip out for a snack one evening? Especially since some of the signs used in the wall decorations are also used by some of the gangs working in FC). And if the people behind those activities aren't the ones behind this attack, they may at least have some clues as to who was behind it.

OK, the gloves are coming off. Once Razorback gets a chance to chime in, I'm popping Precognition, focusing on our killer (where she'll be and what she'll be doing next). Take 10 on any necessary Notice or Search checks (25).

A perfectly logical move... but here's my problem: the killer's next big move is two weeks from now, though at no point does the killer use that same female form. (Actually, one week before that --one week from now -- the killer does something else that'd attract Scarab's precognition... something that'd attract it more than the Pier activity, due to where it's happening, but it's not something that has its own thread.)

But in ether case, if Scarab sees that, she'll know what the killer looks like... and so wouldn't mistake him for a simple college professor four months later.

A perfectly logical move... but here's my problem: the killer's next big move is two weeks from now, though at no point does the killer use that same female form. (Actually, one week before that --one week from now -- the killer does something else that'd attract Scarab's precognition... something that'd attract it more than the Pier activity, due to where it's happening, but it's not something that has its own thread.)

OK. Revision time.

Go ahead and just trigger Scarab's Precognition whenever you want to. "Save it up," as it were. For now, she just gets nothing (partially because she's looking for the "wrong" person).

Instead, she'll conduct an extended search of the entire city, looking for our killer. She'll take 20 (35). With Rapid 3, it'll take just shy of 29 minutes.

But in either case, if Scarab sees that, she'll know what the killer looks like... and so wouldn't mistake him for a simple college professor four months later.

:shock: ...Whoa.

Razorback, we seem to have left you in the dust a little as far as posting goes. Again, feel free to break up my walls of text and respond to each section as you see fit. It'll all come together eventually. I just don't want you to feel shut out.