Triple Murder in Riderside, Rebooted [OOC]

Dr Archeville

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As noted in the IC thread, Slamdance is going to catch a ride with Scarab, taking the blindfold option.

He got a 15 on his computer use...hopefully he gets a bonus from either Aid Another from Scarab and/or the sooper dooper fancy Daedalus compooter.

Let me know if I need anything else before Scarab resonds please.

Heh, alrighty.

Razorback, Shaen, are Slamdance or Scarab the types who'd keep an ear out for someone asking about their costumed identities? If so (and unless Avenger chooses to take a -20), you know Avenger's asking about you.

Slamdance would be no. He's fairly new to the hero scene, and being a teenager in high school, is still figuring out regular life along with everything associated with being a hero. So far, it hasn't been a part of his education, although he has tried to be cautious and discreet when possible.

Razorback, Shaen, are Slamdance or Scarab the types who'd keep an ear out for someone asking about their costumed identities? If so (and unless Avenger chooses to take a -20), you know Avenger's asking about you.

I'd have to say "No." Scarab's street contacts are about 30 years out of date, and she hasn't put any time toward renewing them. She doesn't have her finger on the pulse yet.

When we get to Dr. Archeville's place, I plan to ask for his help analyzing the hair evidence. If Diplomacy is required, I get a 6 (ugh).

Once we're done with Archeville, I blindfold Slamdance and use Telekinesis to carry him along as I fly home. Once we get close to the entrance, I switch over to Concealment and screen us both from outside observation.

And yes, once we're back at my place, I plan to assist Slamdance with the hard drive. I get a 20. I'll also be using my library to take 20 (24) on Knowledge (Arcane), Knowledge (History), and Knowledge (Theology) checks regarding our mysterious killer (her name and nature), and the symbols (both the ones that summoned her and the ones she left behind).

Shaen, quick question: Is Scarab obviously female?

If not, Slamdance gets an 11 check out.

She isn't going to any great lengths to hide her gender, no. But her speaking voice is slightly altered while in-costume, in the same way that Kevin Conroy used slightly different voices for Bruce Wayne and Batman in the DCAU. But she take it anywhere near as far as, say...Avenger.

And said costume, while form-fitting, isn't ridiculously so. It doesn't look painted-on. It downplays her curves somewhat. And the chest pieces create something of a "sports bra effect," scooping around and pushing down, rather than lovingly sculpting around every contour of each individual breast like most comic book "armor." Her chestplate doesn't have cleavage. So, given female superhero fashion trends, you'd probably think she was male at first glance. But no, it isn't difficult to figure out her gender.

Shaen, I was just curious. I'd like to make the references IC as 'she' or 'her', if it's ok with you, instead of "The Scarab walked down the street" .

Yeah, that's fine with me. :D I'm surprised the whole gender-confusion thing lasted as long as it did.

And here we hit a bit of a snag.

Properly collecting a clue for later analysis requires an Investigate check & an evidence kit. Scarab could make the check thanks to being a Jill of All Trades, and GMs are to generally assume the characters have any needed tools to use skills which require them... except Scarab II doesn't actually have any ranks in Investigate (and as such probably doesn't have an evidence gathering kit on her, though I could be wrong), and you wrote the gathering as using stuff from around the house. So I'm imposing a -2 penalty for not using actual tools.

DC is 15. If you fail, Doc has a -5 on his Investigate roll to analyze the clue. If you fail by 5 or more, it's too contaminated to use at all.

And here we hit a bit of a snag.

Properly collecting a clue for later analysis requires an Investigate check & an evidence kit. Scarab could make the check thanks to being a Jill of All Trades, and GMs are to generally assume the characters have any needed tools to use skills which require them... except Scarab II doesn't actually have any ranks in Investigate (and as such probably doesn't have an evidence gathering kit on her, though I could be wrong), and you wrote the gathering as using stuff from around the house. So I'm imposing a -2 penalty for not using actual tools.

DC is 15. If you fail, Doc has a -5 on his Investigate roll to analyze the clue. If you fail by 5 or more, it's too contaminated to use at all.

The Scarab will pop her lone Hero Point for 5 temporary ranks of Investigate, putting her at +9. Whew! She got a 16.

Sorry, Doc. That was too cool an interaction to pass up, especially once I rolled "19" on the Mind Reading check.

And thus, the foundation is laid for Doc Ark to join The Outsiders, rather than begging for scraps at the Freedom League's table. :D

Once everyone else has their chance to speak up, Scarab flies back to her HQ, Slamdance in tow. She can fly, he can run/skate, and they can hold hands. After he's blindfolded, she'll use her Affects Others Concealment to screen them both from prying eyes, and take him to the secret entrance to The Lair, where the homework begins.