The Heist

Heridfel

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magpie - yet another piece of information that meant relatively little to Nanowire. He assumed it had something to do with the card Heavy had shown him earlier. "I'll give it a try," Nanowire replied, and went after the cameras themselves. This time, however, there was some sort of weird interference in the system that made Nanowire nervous. It was like somebody else was already working on it.

"I think I did it... we should be careful, though."

Magpie - yet another piece of information that meant relatively little to Nanowire. He assumed it had something to do with the card Heavy had shown him earlier. "I'll give it a try," Nanowire replied, and went after the cameras themselves. This time, however, there was some sort of weird interference in the system that made Nanowire nervous. It was like somebody else was already working on it.

Heavy grunts and nods, moving more quickly now towards the display. The museum isn't that large, and the two of them are soon in front of a glass display case with an ancient looking book in it. Unlike most of the other books in the museum, this one is closed, rather than open to some pages in the center of the book.

"That's it," Heavy says. "I figure they keep it close so no one can read even a little bit. I don't know what they got protecting it, exactly, but I think I heard something about lasers and whatnot."

Heavy grunts and nods, moving more quickly now towards the display. The museum isn't that large, and the two of them are soon in front of a glass display case with an ancient looking book in it. Unlike most of the other books in the museum, this one is closed, rather than open to some pages in the center of the book.

"That's it," Heavy says. "I figure they keep it close so no one can read even a little bit. I don't know what they got protecting it, exactly, but I think I heard something about lasers and whatnot."

Nanowire nodded and looked about the room. Laser tripwires would be hard to spot, and not for the first time, he regreted not having a way to detect them. Thermographics would be so helpful right now, he lemented silently.

"Give me a minute to scan the security system again, see if I can do something about that." Once again, Nanowire dove into millions of lines of code, looking for just the right ones. The laser grid wasn't too difficult to find here, but it was giving him some problems. Nanowire nearly ground his teeth together as it appeared the system just wasn't going to cooperate with him.

"Chikusho!" Nanowire cursed in Japanese, then shook his head. "It's a no-go. I'm going to need to interface with the grid directly, which means this op is about to get messy. What I need to do is find the physical location of the lasers so I can manually toggle them. Think you can help?"

Nanowire nodded and looked about the room. Laser tripwires would be hard to spot, and not for the first time, he regreted not having a way to detect them. Thermographics would be so helpful right now, he lemented silently.

"Give me a minute to scan the security system again, see if I can do something about that." Once again, Nanowire dove into millions of lines of code, looking for just the right ones. The laser grid wasn't too difficult to find here, but it was giving him some problems. Nanowire nearly ground his teeth together as it appeared the system just wasn't going to cooperate with him.

"Chikusho!" Nanowire cursed in Japanese, then shook his head. "It's a no-go. I'm going to need to interface with the grid directly, which means this op is about to get messy. What I need to do is find the physical location of the lasers so I can manually toggle them. Think you can help?"

"I was doing pretty good with the camera suggestion. I'm not too big on this whole technology thing, really. They didn't have this when I was growing up," Heavy sighs. "I've got radar here, and some sort of night vision goggles, but I don't think they'd help."

"I'd guess they'd be on the floor, or the ceiling, near the case. They aren't going to wire up the whole place for the book - I mean, people do come and look at it, so the main alarms have to be close. Heck, I am not even sure if they're around. I was just guessing. Or did you find them through whatever it is you just did?" he asks. Behind his mask, Sean frowns. They're taking too long.

"I was doing pretty good with the camera suggestion. I'm not too big on this whole technology thing, really. They didn't have this when I was growing up," Heavy sighs. "I've got radar here, and some sort of night vision goggles, but I don't think they'd help."

"I'd guess they'd be on the floor, or the ceiling, near the case. They aren't going to wire up the whole place for the book - I mean, people do come and look at it, so the main alarms have to be close. Heck, I am not even sure if they're around. I was just guessing. Or did you find them through whatever it is you just did?" he asks. Behind his mask, Sean frowns. They're taking too long.

Randy turned to Megan, a big goofy grin plastered across his face. He was dying to hear what she'd say. Would she play along? Or would she play it straight?

“I think I can call a cab.†Megan said with a smile. “Besides, I don’t use just any cab company.†She added as she pulled out her cellphone to call up the cab company she had in memory.

Randy turned to Megan, a big goofy grin plastered across his face. He was dying to hear what she'd say. Would she play along? Or would she play it straight?

“I think I can call a cab.†Megan said with a smile. “Besides, I don’t use just any cab company.†She added as she pulled out her cellphone to call up the cab company she had in memory.

Randy waited outside the building with Megan until the cab arrived. He gave her another little kiss goodnight and then headed back to his dorm.

Randy waited outside the building with Megan until the cab arrived. He gave her another little kiss goodnight and then headed back to his dorm.

"I can't detect things with my Subversion Override Protocols, only control them," Nanowire responded tersely. "And physical location is different than server location." Unbelievable. His first time out and he was being stymied by simple defenses like these! If he was so inclined, he could just tear the book out of the case and be done with it, but how was that in any way intelligent? This was stupid - they should have waited for it to be transported or something so he could just...

Nanowire's self-recriminations trailed off as a sudden burst of inspiration hit him. "Hang here for a sec. I have a plan." He strode over to the nearest window, looking outside for just the right thing. "There..." he mumbled to himself. Out in the parking lot, a Ford Expedition roared to life and started making towards the front entrance. It soon passed out of line of sight from his position by the window, but he knew he'd aimed it correctly from the rhythmic thumping as it made it's way up the front stairs of the Museum.

"We're good to go now," Nanowire said as he moved away from the window. Before Heavy could ask what he'd done, a huge crash echoed through the halls of the building and every alarm went off at once. "We just have to move a little faster than you'd planned."

"I can't detect things with my Subversion Override Protocols, only control them," Nanowire responded tersely. "And physical location is different than server location." Unbelievable. His first time out and he was being stymied by simple defenses like these! If he was so inclined, he could just tear the book out of the case and be done with it, but how was that in any way intelligent? This was stupid - they should have waited for it to be transported or something so he could just...

Nanowire's self-recriminations trailed off as a sudden burst of inspiration hit him. "Hang here for a sec. I have a plan." He strode over to the nearest window, looking outside for just the right thing. "There..." he mumbled to himself. Out in the parking lot, a Ford Expedition roared to life and started making towards the front entrance. It soon passed out of line of sight from his position by the window, but he knew he'd aimed it correctly from the rhythmic thumping as it made it's way up the front stairs of the Museum.

"We're good to go now," Nanowire said as he moved away from the window. Before Heavy could ask what he'd done, a huge crash echoed through the halls of the building and every alarm went off at once. "We just have to move a little faster than you'd planned."

“Night.†Megan said as she returned Randy’s goodnight kiss before betting into the back of the Lexis towncar that had come to pick her up. They had only gotten a few blocks when she saw a car drive across the middle of the street, up onto the sidewalk and then up the stairs and into the front doors of the Hunter Museum of Natural History.

“What the?†She muttered. “Stop!†She said to the driver. “Here, I’ll get out here. Here’s the full fair.†She gave the diver the full fare plus a generous tip and got out of the car and looked back over at the scene at the museum, the sounds of alarms clear now.