Water Water Everywhere But Not A Drop To Drink

Sandman XI

It begins to drizzle on a cold and lonely Saturday night in Liberty Park. Darian looks toward the sky from the safety of a covered picnic table. He smiles, "Just as planned." He dons his bright yellow rain coat, rain hat, and rain boots before walking out in the wet weather. From his messenger bag, he pulls a small round disk made of metal. Setting it on the ground he pulls out his Quark Tech PDA from his rain coat, pushes a few button, and the small metal disk grows in to a large bowl-like brazier. "Mother always said, if you cannot find it, let it find you," he chuckles as the brazier slowly begins to fill up with water.

I HATE it when my fur gets wet... Kerrik grumbled as it started to drizzle. From his vantage point high above the city he began looking for someplace where he could get out of the rain. His first thought was to try the water tower on top of a building a few roofs away. To his utter dissatisfaction, he found it entirely too leaky. His next stop was street level, where he found an awning to take shelter from the rain in. For once, Kerrik actually was thankful for the rain, because it meant there wouldn't be too many people around to bother him. I hate the nosy people in this town almost as much as i hate the rain he mused. All of a sudden there was a creaking sound from above. the awning could no longer hold the weight of all the water it was holding up. ... oh crap ... kerrik said as he looked up to see the awning split open and shower him with rainwater.

Soaked and utterly miserable Kerrik decided he would head for home. In no mood to climb back up to the roofs, he decided to hoof it. A few minutes later, he found himself near Liberty Park and it's luscious, beautiful, life-saving covered picnic areas. He dashed over to one of them and hopped up on a table. Utterly oblivious of the other figure in a raincoat, Kerrik began wringing out his tail.

I HATE the rain. Kerrik grumbled quite audibly.

Darian turns around to see a bedraggled and wet figure standing under the picnic table. He quickly looks back to the brazier. It hasn't even began to fill yet. Just as quickly, he looks back to the visitor. "Good evening," he calls out to the figure. As he walks back to the table he sees that this is no regular visitor. Red skin, six arms, a tail, and is that fur? Darian had studied demons before, and this one doesn't look like a regular species. Maybe a mutant, he thinks to himself, or a mutant demon? He extends his hand out to Kerrik, "What brings you out this late?"

Kerrik folds his top four arms, and shakes Darian's hand with his third arm on the right side.

Kerrik. And, well, i WAS patrolling. That is before this god awful rain soaked me to the bone. retracting his hand, Kerrik folded his last two arms, walked over to a nearby picnic table, sat down on top of it and began wringing out his tail.

Yea i know... Kerrik began, noticing Darian's strange looks, I'm ugly. But get used to it, 'cuz i ain't goin' away. Least ways not until this rain cuts out. After ringing out his tail, Kerrik hopped up again and began pacing back and forth between tables.

How come you're out here? And whats that toy you been playin' with? Kerrik japed eying the brazier.

"Oh," Darian pauses, "You are not ugly. Just different." He laughs, "Believe me, I have seen ugly before and you are nowhere near that." Sitting down he looked back to the brazier, "Well, I never have had not guests actually watching an experiment in a while, but you are fine if you wish to stay." He points to the brazier slowly filling with rain water, "That, to put it in simple terms, will be a summoning portal. I just needed natural water and a connection current." The sky rumbles a bit and Darian smiles, "That will be my connection current. It is a bit old school for modern scientific methods, but then again sometimes Occam's Razor cuts too deep." He looks to Kerrik, "Excuse me, I am rambling. Did you say you were patrolling? I never knew a demon hero before. Then again, I have not known many demons."

If I am a demon, that would be news to me. Kerrik looks down at the floor and speaks softly. I really don't know what i am.

Kerrik hops off the table and walks to the edge of the enclosure. Careful not to get his fur wet again. Placing an arm on a support beam and leaning he sighs. A sad look crosses his face. A look that says he wants to know more, but isn't sure of what it would mean for him.

Suddenly, his harder tone snaps right back into place. Summoning portal, huh? You some kind of magician? And who the hell is this Occam guy?

"I am sorry for insinuating that you were a demon," Darian chuckles nervously. Watching Kerrik walk to the edge of the rain, he is interested in knowing more about the stranger. Unfortunately, Kerrik changes the subject before he can expound on it. Maybe he does not want to dwell on it, he thinks to himself. With the new line of questioning, he takes a more upbeat tone, "Well, yes. I am a magician of sorts. A more learned magician. While some people think magic is unknowable, but I actually get into the mechanics of it. As for Occam's Razor," he clears his throat and recites it textbook style, "'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem' or 'Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity'." He shrugs, "Well, some things need more than just a simple answer."

I take it that answer'd be a long, drawn out, n' boring one? Don't bore me, dude. I dropped outta' school 'cuz I hate that kinda' stuff. 'Sides... "entities should not be..." Ya' let some' 'un ya read about inna' textbook tell ya what ta do?

Kerrik threw a punch at the rain just outside the edge of the enclosure. Splitting a raindrop into many pieces.

'Sides...I dunno any problems in'nis that can't be solved by smackin' 'em upside the head a few times.

Kerrik turns halfway around leans up against the pillar. He fixes Darian with a look. He is not threatening, but he is nonplussed.

Darian nods to his rightfully confused guest, "Yes, sometimes a simple answer is warranted. Though it is not always correct. Think about it, a little over 500 years ago the simple answer was the world was flat. If everyone continued to accept that answer, would there have been any thing here today?" He notes the irony of using a simple answer to make an arguement against simple answers.

Funny. For someun' who believes n' magic, you're surprisin'ly willin' ta accept answers gen'rated from science. Kerrik raised an eyebrow as he spoke. Ya do realize that mosta science's popula' avenues claim 'dat this kinda stuff, an over the shoulder gesture to the water basin followed is entirally anathema.

Kerrik walked to a picnic table, upended himself and begain walking on two of his hands down the length of the table.

Keep talkin', i'm listenin'.

The rain started to pick up as Kerrik walks toward Darian, pushing in towards he are that covers them. Darian scoots from the table bench to sitting on the table itself. He is glad that Kerrik is interested or at least curious about his studies. "Well, there is a tried-and-true adage. 'Any sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic' and vice versa. Think about it. What was anathema a few hundred years ago is part of our daily lives. What was a cultural norm one century is condemned in the next. Yes, I accept the views of magic and science because they are one in the same. It is just two ways of doing the same thing."

Tha's very true. Ya' make some very good points. Man, if'n school'd been like this i might'a stuck around.

Kerrik lifted one of the two arms he was using to balance himself upside down off of the table. Now using only one arm to support all of his weight, he spread his other arms out in all directions to balance himself.

I might be a dropout, but i ain't stupid. Kerrik said with a smile. Now how long is this doohickey ah' your's gonna take ta' heat up? I wanna' see it in action!

Darian hops off the table and gets close the rain to observe the slowly filling brazier, "Well, it needs to fill to exactly 0.32514ths full. When it does so, this program will alert me," he shows Kerrik the interface of the PDA. It shows the bowl slowing filling up with water. Arcane symbols and scientific numbers are digitized around the screen. "After that, I summon the current to open the portal." He looks wistfully back to the brazier, "And then we will have a guest."

Tha' program seems well and dandy... But how'ya gonna stop the rain from fillin' it after it gets ta the level needed?

Kerrik rights himself and hops down off the table. Strolling to where Darian is, he looks over his shoulder. Kerrik looks bemused by all the of the symbols on the screen flying back and forth. The numbers he knows, but there are things on the device that he has never seen before.

Heh, what kinda' language pack do ya need ta' get tha' stuff ta' display on one'ah them? don't think that software comes standard! Kerrik jokes, nudging Darian with his second left arm.

Darian keeps his eyes on the screen as he dotes on the machine, "Yes. It is a bit of a cypher program that I have written. They used to write these languages down on paper. The nature of the universe does not care where you write, just how the procedure is done. If we were in a more primitive age, this would be called a 'spellbook'." He looks to the brazier and then back to the screen as the rain picks up to a sudden downpour, "As for the accuracy needed for the water content, I have that covered also. Once the brazier has met it's capacity, a monofilament cover will materialize over the needed portion. The program on the screen will switch over to the prgram needed to bring the current. And then," he pauses as the PDA beep and shows a view of the sky above, "Well it looks like you will get a first hand account of what will happen." The clouds on the screen open and the rain over the area stops. For a short second there is quietness, the quietness end with the brazier being struck by lightning, consuming the object whole. A blob of dark purple light stands where the brazier used to be. Darian looks proudly to Kerrik as he walks toward the spectacle, beckoning him to come and observe.

Stepping foward toward the edge of the enclosure, Kerrik gazes towards this sky. His fur still wet, he longs to not make the problem any worse. Is it safe? He asks, referring to the possibility that more rain could fall. Assuming there would be no second downpour, Kerrik follows Darian outside.

Gazing down at the amorphous blob at his feet, Kerrik find himself dumbfounded.

The hell issit?

"This is a portal seed," Darian grins from ear to ear while looking to his confused guest, "In a matter of seconds this will grow into a doorway to a dimension of infinite water. Once it reaches it's full size, a denizen from that dimension will step through. Then we will get our first contact with such a being." The blob of purple light grows as Darian speaks, "I have a few things to do the creature with it gets here, I would suggest you stick around as it will get interesting then." The blob of purple light stops growing the split second Darian stops talking. It stabilizes and turns into a large rip in reality. Water comes pouring through as a blue humanoid figure comes though. The figure looks at Darian and Kerrik disdainfully. With a sigh for the figure bot Kerrik and Darian hear in their head, "Why have you summoned me?" Darian tries to answer, but before he can say a word the voice in their heads interrupts them, "Save your monkey speech for other monkeys. I know why I am here. Do you think it will be that easy?" Darian looks to Kerrik with a worried shrug. "No matter whether you know or you don't know. I am here. The rules are simple. You best me in combat, you get one wish. Now, are we clear?"

• 2 weeks later...

Could the blue being breathe, it would be out of breath from laughter. "You apes think everything is so cut and dry." It points to Darian, "I know why you have summoned me. If you even think of using that pea shooter at me again, I will be much less forgiving." It points to Kerrik, "You though, are in luck. I am granting you a reprieve. I'm going to put this little incident out of your mind, since it taught you nothing but the ramblings of a mad scientist. In fact, you think of somewhere else you'd rather be than this wet area. This can be anywhere in the world your heart desires." Kerrik disappears. Darian's eyes grow wide, "W-what did you do to him?" "Didn't you hear me," the being questions with disgust, "He's safely where he wants to be. If you must know, he likes to climb." It nonchalantly opens a portal of it's own, "Just heed my warning: don't EVER let this happen again." Darian looks around, a bit fearful for the fate of the random passerby and for the threats of a powerful being.