Reverse Recruiting

N/A

Before I go starting any new threads, I thought I'd check to see if any existing ones were open.

After scouring the forum, checking in on every thread that's updated within the last two months, it seems like they're all either officially closed, or are officially "open" but already packed with 5-6 heroes.

So if there are any existing threads that need/want/wouldn't mind adding another hero to the mix, please feel free to sound off here!

One of the adventures I'm running seems to have come to a standstill due to the players dropping off the face of the board, but I'd be willing to reboot it with some new players.

Thing is, it's not something that'd appeal to everyone. And for some that it would appeal to, I have trouble in figuring out how to make it any sort of a challenge.

The adventure would start when a PC sees this news article:

Family Slain!

Riverside - A gruesome scene greeted police officers responding to a 911 call for assistance for a home invasion. A teenager, his mother, and his grandfather were found brutally mutilated.

Investigators have not determined a motive for the killings, Sheriff's spokeswoman Grace Morales said.

The coroner's office identified the victims as 61-year-old Maury George Dickson; his 39-year-old daughter, Joan 'Jett' Mary Dickson; and her 16-year-old son, Richard Timothy Dickson.

Neighbors say the family seemed close, that they were never heard arguing and that they would often pile into a minivan to run errands together. But Richard's classmates reported him to be shy and withdrawn, and his teachers reported a recent slump in his grades.

The investigation is ongoing.

I doubt it's something Shinken would bother getting involved in.

Not sure if Slamdance'd be into it.

I could see Avenger or Scarab II getting involved. Problem with Scarab II, though, is the same problem any murder mystery writer has when dealing with an investigator who possess phenomenal psychic powers, chief amongst them postcognition and telepathy/mind reading: there needs to be a way for the psychic to not immediately solve it and thus end the story before the first page.

Thing is, it's not something that'd appeal to everyone. And for some that it would appeal to, I have trouble in figuring out how to make it any sort of a challenge.

I could see Avenger or Scarab II getting involved. Problem with Scarab II, though, is the same problem any murder mystery writer has when dealing with an investigator who possess phenomenal psychic powers, chief amongst them postcognition and telepathy/mind reading: there needs to be a way for the psychic to not immediately solve it and thus end the story before the first page.

There are ways around this. Off the top of my head:

Precognition and Postcognition don't have to reveal everything. They can reveal as little or as much information as the GM wants. They can reveal just enough to get and keep the plot moving. "I'm getting a vision...it's a little hazy...the victim didn't know his attacker...there's no emotional resonance there...I can't make out the killer's face...but he's wearing a signet ring. Here's what the symbol looked like. Research this."

Mind Reading isn't automatic, and can only rip information out of the heads of people who actually know that information. Either I don't cross paths with people who know something you don't want me to know, or I do, and they have a decent Will save.

I also think this was part of the reason they made Mind Reading a contested roll - so it'd be easier for the GM to fudge the results.

I think part of the whole point of having extrasensory powers like this is so that the character can aid an investigation that has come to a standstill because traditional methods are insufficient. Situations where the physical evidence is so inadequate that psychic powers are necessary to move the investigation forward at all.

Excellent points...

Thank you.

I have realized that there are some... interesting consequences if Scarab does manage to catch who did it, things which could be either Very Good or Very Bad (or both) for all parties involved.

You had me at "interesting consequences." I'm sold.

Hmmm...

the only way I see for incorporating Slam Dance is since he operates on the other side of the river is:

1)Since Sandro and Richard are the same age, either they ran in the same circles/friends.

2)Possibly Sandro and Richard helped out the same shelters?

Other than that it doesn't seem like this would draw his attention.

Let me know what you think.

-Razorback

I think that's a massive understatement :twisted:

Alright, three seems a good number to me. I'll try and get something up tonight.

Toptom, I've not forsaken you, I do have an idea or two for Shinken. It's not much in the way of action, at least not to start off, but it should be an excellent chance for some roleplaying & character development. :) I'll PM you some details.

I'm sold, this is definitely the sort of thing Avenger would get involved in. He and Scarab would make an interesting pair of comrades.

Jack knew to stay away from crazy; you never knew when 'crazy' meant 'psychic.' And encountering a psychic, especially tonight, would be bad.

Heehee. 8-)

:shock:

You guys are a couple of pretty dark protectors of the night... I hope you don't give Slam Dance nightmares!

"Dark Avenger of The Night" is Avenger's whole schtick, yeah.

But I'm playing a Silver Age legacy. I'm as wholesome as the lovechild of a baseball and an apple pie, born in wedlock!

Unless it's that whole "I can read your mind" part that scares you.

Avenger is indeed a dark, gritty vigilante, a fierce predator of the urban jungle who preys on the criminal element. Mwahaha! :bat:

HE is the terror...who FLAPS IN THE NIGHT!

HE is the batteries...that ARE NOT INCLUDED!

HE is the wrong number...who WAKES YOU UP at 3AM!

HE is the low ratings...that CANCEL YOUR PROGRAM!

HE is...THE AVENGER!!!

There looks to be a lot of people interested in joining threads. That's a good sign!

However, don't forget that here on the site, any character can start a thread. If you find a few people that are willing to play together, start a thread. Have each other meet and get to know one another. When you're ready for some combat, then PM a Ref to help out. Or you can share the responsibility of running the NPCs.

The more active you are, the more fun you're going to have.

With that said, there is still the street level threadthat I've started. If you're interested, drop a line there and let me know.

Also, keep your eyes open for other stories that refs as well as players will suggest.