How Long....

hero4hire

PbP is notoriously slow and made even slower if a player is not participating. I would suggest it depends on the posting rates of the other players. However, if one player is delaying the action, give him three days. If there is still no posting, then you should run him as an NPC for a turn and let things move on. If that happens on more than one turn (so no posts in a week or more, in a fast paced game) then you may want to consider replacing him.

PbP is notoriously slow and made even slower if a player is not participating. I would suggest it depends on the posting rates of the other players. However, if one player is delaying the action, give him three days. If there is still no posting, then you should run him as an NPC for a turn and let things move on. If that happens on more than one turn (so no posts in a week or more, in a fast paced game) then you may want to consider replacing him.

When you start a thread (players and Refs), it might be a good idea state a posting rate, so slower posters can avoid the faster moving threads and vise versa. Once a thread is in full-swing, then I agree with Companyman, it depends on the posting rate up to this point and what's going on in the thread. In a fast moving thread, during a combat, I would think that waiting three full days, though generous, would be excessive, though I also think that forcing player to post more than every other day is very unrealistic. So . . .

1. After a day or two go by (depending on the thread's speed), send the player a PM/email, to remind them to post.

2. After another day or so (again, depending on the thread's speed), PM a Ref and ask them to NPC the player if necessary or move on without them. In some types of threads (e.g. Combat), a post from every player is essential. NPCing the player would be the right thing to do. Also, in some types of social interaction threads, the story can't move on without both players posting (e.g. two players out on a date). In some threads, however, the simple thing to do is to write around the missing player until they return. If you introduce yourself to a player at a party, and they don't respond, excuse your character politely and move on. Do, however, try to be considerate of those who are just a bit slower than you. It is always a bad idea for the faster players to continually skip the slower players even if only a day or so of real time has elapsed. The point of NPCing/being skipped isn't to punish slow/missing players. It is so that the other players can keep the story moving.

3. If significant time passes (weeks?), the Refs may need to write missing players/characters out of some stories entirely. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

When you start a thread (players and Refs), it might be a good idea state a posting rate, so slower posters can avoid the faster moving threads and vise versa. Once a thread is in full-swing, then I agree with Companyman, it depends on the posting rate up to this point and what's going on in the thread. In a fast moving thread, during a combat, I would think that waiting three full days, though generous, would be excessive, though I also think that forcing player to post more than every other day is very unrealistic. So . . .

1. After a day or two go by (depending on the thread's speed), send the player a PM/email, to remind them to post.

2. After another day or so (again, depending on the thread's speed), PM a Ref and ask them to NPC the player if necessary or move on without them. In some types of threads (e.g. Combat), a post from every player is essential. NPCing the player would be the right thing to do. Also, in some types of social interaction threads, the story can't move on without both players posting (e.g. two players out on a date). In some threads, however, the simple thing to do is to write around the missing player until they return. If you introduce yourself to a player at a party, and they don't respond, excuse your character politely and move on. Do, however, try to be considerate of those who are just a bit slower than you. It is always a bad idea for the faster players to continually skip the slower players even if only a day or so of real time has elapsed. The point of NPCing/being skipped isn't to punish slow/missing players. It is so that the other players can keep the story moving.

3. If significant time passes (weeks?), the Refs may need to write missing players/characters out of some stories entirely. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.