The Amazonian Technology

nareik123

Lullaby nods shyly as she reluctantly let Dr Archville take away the Dress. She couldn't resist looking it at it, it was too beautiful and it was her life. Without it, Lullaby would probably meet a life of starvation and death in quick succession. She sighed as she smiled weakly.

"Please, after you Doctor" Lullaby offered, curtsying with a graceful sweep of an arm.

Ah, she avoided our question: she knows she's makin' this all up, and she's starting to realize it can't hold up!

You're not going to give her even one inch, are you?

Archeville proceeded down the 'secret' corridor. It was a tad on the narrow side, big enough to comfortably walk down in single file but just a hair too narrow for them to walk side by side. Unlike the wood paneled hallway she'd been lead down earlier by he robo-gorilla-butler, Zallaro noted that this one was brushed steel. "You know, it's not dat often I get visitors. Which is a shame, since I love showing off mein home!"

Zallaro got the feeling again that she as being watched.

Heh heh heh.

Cut it out.

Archeville turned so he was facing Lullaby, though continued walking down the corridor, backwards. "De kameraratte does contain monitoring equipment in it, ja, cameras und listening devices, relayed to de house's central monitoring system. Und mit dem -- und de others -- scurrying all about, I don't need any stationary, vall-mounted cameras."

Good. Goood.

Yeeah, you just stay there in your corner and stop talking.

Archeville turned back so he was no longer walking backwards, "heh, jah, I suppose de Freedom League's headquarters und de Atom Family's home has few problems mit thieves, too. Dough, on de other hand, dey have to contend mit super-villains. Fortunately, it seems I haff not yet made any major enemies here, nor haff any of de vons from Europe followed me here."

At last they reached the end of the metal corridor, at what looked like a simple door with no knob. The super-scientist placed his right palm on it, and a light blue outline appeared around his hand. "Vell, here ve are, mein main laboratory und vorkshop."

The door slid open, revealing a series of laboratories and workstations which stretched out for hundreds of yards. While tidy, they were not gleaming or pristine, and looked like they'd seen a lot of use. The place had a weird smell, a mixture of antiseptic chemicals, oil, and ozone. The center was dominated by a massive pillar, covered in monitor screens, though from this distance it was impossible to see what was on them.

"Dis vay, please," he sad as he lead her in, through the maze of tables. Most held either electronic components or flasks of chemicals, though two held assorted plant samples and one held what looked like an assortment of plastic waterguns of various shapes and sizes along with a few chemical testing paraphernalia. Tiny robots, now in full view, scurried about here and there, like ants attending their duties; most were in assorted insectoid shapes, though a few had humanoid shapes.

Lullagy gasped in awe as she walked into Archvilles lab. She looked around in amazement and could completely understand why Herr Archville is recognized as one of the top scientists in Freedom City. The lab alone was astounding, let alone his unorthodox security measures, which still unnerved the songstress. She was behind Archville now, immobilized due to utter amazement. She looked around and broke out of her awe struck state, catching up with Archville.

"I must say Doctor Archville, your lab is amazing!" Lullaby nodded.

"I'm just a little bit....not so sure about the humanoid things, but it doesn't matter."

Muah hah hah hah hah!!!

See, this is why we don't have more people over.

"Scary? Oh, my dear Zallaro, dey're nothing of de sort!" he said with a smile as he walked in amongst the maze of workbenches. "Dey take some getting used to, ja, I admit, but after de initial adjustment you'll vonder how you got along mitout dem!"

After a bit of bobbing and weaving around the workspaces, the two reached what appeared to be a tailor's work area... if the tailor were from the 31st century. "Alright, dese tools here should be vhat ve need to do some preliminary examinations." He tapped a section of the floor, and a section slid away as a mannequin rose up. He looked back and forth between the mannequin and Zallaro, altering its dimensions to match hers, then he placed the dress on it.

"Careful Doctor!" Zallora warned, "Gabriellor's suit take over you if you lay a single bit of flesh, use gloves or something to make sure you're not touching the dancing dress. Trust me, it's not pleasant the first time she controls your body, and I doubt it'll be even more pleasant if she changes your gender!" Lullaby added. She quickly slipped on a black latex glove, helping Dr Archville to place the suit on the manikin but leaving the heels inside the bag.

Then, she spent about five minutes gaping at the technology around her.

"I must get some of this equipment to furnish High Price, if Michael lets me" Lullaby murmurs to herself.

Hunh? What the heck's she talking about now?

Well, that is one reason we're doing these tests, to-

Hello, boys. A bit crowded in here, isn't it?

What the-?!

Wha?!

Oh, relax, boys. I've not interest in taking over; I'm actually interested in seeing what you all can find.

A perplexed look crossed Archeville's face at Zalloro's warning, then holds up his hands. "Miss Zallaro, I haff been handling dis dress mit mein un-gloved hands all morning. If anyzhing vere to happen to me, it vould haff done so by now, ja?"

After a bit more adjusting, the manikin filled out the dress as well as Zalloro herself did. "Alright, now to run a few basic tests to see just vhat dis is made of..."

• 3 weeks later...

Archeville let go of the dress and retrieved a small device form one of the workbenches. It looked not unlike a Geiger counter.

Who the frak was that?

How should I know?!

He then stepped on a few specific tiles in the floor -- upon closer look, Lullaby saw they were recessed buttons, each about as big as the tip of the doktor's rubber-soled black boots -- and a multi-armed metallic spidery thing descended from the ceiling. It picked up bits of pieces of the dress, running lights and other sensors over it, while Archeville made some closer examinations with his handheld machine.

After a few moments, he stopped, and turned to look at his guest. "Madame, dis dress is nutzing but silk. Exotic silks, from many different places -- de red silk of de bow tie is from a species of moth native to India, de waistcoat primarily from silks from caterpillars native to Africa, und de gloves actually contain spider's silk -- but dat is it."

Lullaby frowned as the good Doctor made his analysis and report to her. Nothing unusual? Surely something must be up.

"Lully, I have survived a long time inside this dress. I think I can hide my presence from those who are not pure hearted. Luckily for me Lully, you are pure hearted. And Luckily for you too, by the way things are progressing" Gabiellor giggled in her mind.

"Very secretive, aren't you?" Lullaby giggled back in her mind.

"Can you blame me?" Gabriellor asked back, mentally.

Lullaby smiled at Archville.

"Thank you Doctor. I suppose your equipment is the best in Freedom cities, doubt I will find out anything else. Anyways, thank you very much for your time. Need me for a sing song? Maybe a sing along? Please give me a letter in the "High Price"" Lullaby giggled lightly, dropping a small business card.

She needs to go. Now.

I... can't say I disagree. Though, on the other hand, she did come to us for help. Maybe she really is some sort of Mutant and the dress is a psychological crutch.

No. Now.

Archeville tapped on the floor again, and the large spider-thing retracted back into the ceiling. Which, looking up, seemed far too high based on the outer dimensions of the house. He then stepped back from the mannequin and nodded to the dress, indicating Zallaro could take it back.

Before she touched it, though, he spoke. "You need to leave. Now. I just remembered something crucial I must do vhich cannot vait, and vhich vill take a great deal of time und concentration."