Create Object

Moira Morley

Permanent: Would I have to destroy the current object before I use it again?

Precise: What's the ruling on it here? That is, how complex can I get with it?

I'm trying to mimic how a god(dess) can make anything,but on a lesser scale (since my character is not a full-blown goddess). What I have so far is:

Create Object 8 (Extra: Duration/Continuous; Flaw: Permanent, Range/Touch; Power Feats: Precise, Subtle)

Permanent: Would I have to destroy the current object before I use it again?

Sorta. Kenson indicates that you can use Create Object to have multiple created objects in effect, creating one per round, with the total amount of stuff being limited by the total volume you can create. Create Object 8 lets you create up to 8 5-foot cubes, so you could make one 40 x 5 x 5 foot wall, or a 20 x 10 x 5 foot wall, or a 10 x 10 x 10 foot "megacube," or eight 5x5x5 foot chairs (creating one chair per round). If you run out of volume -- if you have seven chairs, but also want to make a 5x5x10 table -- you'll need to destroy one of the chairs in order to "free up" the necessary volume.

(I'd also say that at most you can have a number of objects created equal to your Create Object rank, so you could at most create eight ordinary-sized pencils even though their total volume is far less than one 5-foot cube.)

Precise: What's the ruling on it here? That is, how complex can I get with it?

As precise as anything a Green Lantern can make. (Hopefully this is a helpful answer.)

Be aware that the Refs have not yet decided on whether or not to allow the optional rule -- optional in the senses that it's in Ultimate Power and not a default core thing -- in the sidebar for Create Object regarding exactly what a Created Object can do (i.e., can you create an actual working car, or just something that looks like a car?)

Barring any RefTeam rulings to the contrary, if you want to create "real" stuff, you'll want an either Continuous or Permanent duration, with the Innate and Subtle feats. That way, your Created objects are indistinguishable from "the real thing," and can't be Nullified out of existence. Also note that, with a Permanent duration, you can't just will them out of existence. Once they're Created, they have to be destroyed The Old Fashioned Way. They can still be Nullified away without Innate, though. You also can't use the power on them again to repair them the way you can with Sustained or Continuous objects.

I haven't been able to find an "official" ruling on whether or not Permanent Created objects are just fire-and-forget or if they count against your limit. It would really, really suck if they did, as that would basically apply the Fades flaw to the power for no point break (since they cost the same as Sustained objects).

I've been reading up on Green Lantern, and it depends on the ring wearer. One of them just made beams and bubbles (a bubble with functional air that allowed for space travel, but still a bubble). Others have made working vehicles, comicly huge guns, and kryptonite. As for the sidebar, that would be cool, but either works. Shaen mentioned a feat I missed. Innate is what I want, not Permanent. So what I have now is:

Create Object 3 (Extra: Duration/Continuous; Flaw: Range/Touch; Power Feats: Precise, Subtle, Innate, Progression)

This allows me to make three 10x10x10 cubes (with 15 or 45 points of features if the refs allow)

It's also worth remembering that Continuous and Permanent Create Object are exceptions to the Array rules. The created objects do not disappear if you switch to an Alternate Power (they're effectively Lasting).

Some of GL's creations can be modeled with Create Object. Others are better depicted with Summon, or with effects that mimic the functions of Summoned creatures (Obscure, Environment Control, etc.).

The cubes are 10x10x10, but can they be smaller and does whole cube have to be connected? Say that I wanted to make a table and chairs out of one cube, would that be doable?

Only if the chairs are physically connected to/part of the table.

Also, I'd like to know if the sidebar variant is doable or not.

We'll let you know when we make the decision. If it's allowed, it'd most likely be the 5-points-per-rank version.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd think you'd have to destroy them, otherwise it wouldn't be much of a Flaw.

The more I think about this, the more I disagree.

Does Iceman really have to bust up the objects he's created in order to make new ones?

The difference between a Permanent and Continuous Created Object is that the creator can choose to dismiss the Continuous objects at any time. She snaps her fingers, and they vanish into thin air. Permanent Created Objects just hang around, whether you want them to or not. If they're made out of something like, for example, ice, you just have to wait for them to melt.

From what I understood...

Innate makes an object real, and you can "Fire and Forget" but you can still Will the object out of existence or repair it with your create object power. Because this item is real, it doesn't count against your "created object total."

Permanent makes an object real, but you no longer have any control over the object (unless you have Extras like Tether). I think, maybe, as Permanent is a Flaw and not an Extra that it could be interpreted to say that it still counts against your total created objects.

I think that making an object both Innate and Permanent is the way to go, letting you create objects that don't count against your totals, but you also don't have any control over the object.

Innate makes the object "real" in that it can't be made to vanish into thin air if it's targeted with a Nullify effect. It has nothing to do with the duration. A sustained-duration Innate Created Object will still vanish as soon as the caster stops maintaining it.