GM

July 4th, 2023, 6.37PM

Pacific Ocean, 50 nautical miles from the Oregon coast

Blackstaff

The conclusion was as inescapable as it was impossible to accept: under the cold, leaden weight of the Peaceful Ocean, far below the light of the life-giving Sun, the machinations of equally antipyrated hearts had created a dark edifice, a visage, a mask of stone through which eyes alien and incorporeal could peer into the brimming, oblivious swarms of life, and decide their fate by measures impossible for any brain thwarted by a linear existence to comprehend. And now its worshippers gathered, to pledge a fealty as mad as it was undying, to defend it against the feeble struggles of the pale things which sought to avoid their inevitable fate.

On the other hand, the PanStar representative had been very eager to make clear that the Deep Ones needn't necessarily be killed, and a diplomatic resolution that allowed them to move their camoflagued underwater surveillance module away from the temple-reef sonar pulses had uncovered would be more than acceptable.

And now here he was, on a small, fast boat equipped with diving gear, heading for the locus of unearthly phenomena with only his thoughts, two stolidly uniformed representatives from the Brande Management Security Company, a three-man crew, and a captain constantly dropping by to check how he was doing to fill the anxious hour.

Captain Cosmos

"We can't thank you enough, Captain Cosmos!" the co-pilot of Singapore Airlines flight 56SO shook the hero's hand fervently, still panting a little from the exhilaration of the last few minutes. Behind him, the plane windows opened on the beautiful sight of the Oregon and Washington coasts, the cloud-strewn Atlas Mountains, the Emerald Cities nestled beneath the peaks on the banks of a wide, slow Columbia River. "I know I can't, they're likely gone forever, but I'd still like to thank Science Communicator Buddy and Labour Activist Buddy for all they did to help us with that bomb, and that near-riot on the second floor."

"Approaching the site of the distress call," announced Captain Sen, looking much better without the tape the now-unconscious Overthrow agent had swathed him in, "I believe this is your stop, Captain Cosmos. I took the liberty of contacting the local Coast Guard, in case they need more help than we did." He couldn't help but smirk, though he did a good job hiding it. "Best of luck to you, Captain. If you're ever in Changi, look me up, Jai Sen!"

Captain Cosmos

Buddy, Buddy... thanks the fates my name is Buddy...

When Captain Cosmos summoned his alternate multiverse counterparts, it was fortunate they were called Buddy. He could pass them off as his "Buddies" from other dimensions.

He shook Captain Sen's hand, grateful for the gratitude. 

"Just doing my job, sir..." he said with a warm smile. 

As always, no matter how heroic he was, or had been, he had a little devil on his shoulder saying he could have done better. Maybe he could have got their faster. Maybe he could have defused the bomb more quickly. Maybe he could have grappled the plane with a steadier hand. Maybe he could have smiled more smilier. 

He shook his head. He had learned to live with the little devil, but the little devil was still there. And he knew why. His father, for whom no amount of success was ever enough. That meant Buddy Brand was locked into a Sisyphean task; always striving to feel worthwhile, never achieving it. 

"..and I'm grateful for your help. The world's a better place when we all look out for our fellow man."

With the plane approaching the distress call, he decided it was best to bail. 

"Thanks for the lift. I'll take it from here..."

Time to leap from the plane, into the sky, and down to the ship. No need for a parachute... for Captain Comsos could fly!

Blackstaff 

The small vessel bounced over the waves. Water splashed back on Christopher’s duster as he watched the waves roll by. There were seven people on board the boat, it was a favorable number at least he thought.

The captain stopped as he passed to check on him again and Christopher once again assured the man he was fine. He could understand the man’s anxiety. They were purposely moving into dangerous waters. His eyes scanned the horizon line was it bobbed in time with the ship’s travel. As he stared out over water his mind wandered for a moment.

The Day Before-

“I’m sorry Lark, I can’t take you with me this time.”

Christopher said for the half-dozenth time. He was really was sorry he couldn’t, but the PanStar representative had been quite clear. They wanted as few people involved as possible.

The blonde college girl huffed and leaned in office’s doorframe with a mock pout.

“But I promise, no wolfing out this time.”

“That isn’t the problem.”

He reassured her.

“It’s not a day trip on a party boat. The client was very clear on this. Besides, you should spend some time with your human friends.”

Christopher came from around his desk and placed a hand on her shoulder.

“I’m sure this will be very boring. I’m going to ride out, talk to some fish people, and be back before you know it.”

Lark gave him a look that spoke volumes to her belief it would be so simple.

“Don’t give me that look.”

He said returning to his desk.

“You’re lucky I’m not asking you to finish filing the receipts for the Thurman case while I’m gone. Or help Marrowind organize the research library.”

He chuckled knowing his part-time secretary was sticking her tongue out at his back before she returned to her own desk up front. He looked over a few of the items he wanted to make sure he took on this case. Some colored string, a couple waterproof markers, and few other odds and ends that would find a home in his coat pockets. Once again his eyes drifted to the staff of blackened wood in the corner of his office.

Present time-

Christopher gripped the smooth black wooden staff as he leaned against the rail. He exhaled and glanced up at the sky. They still had two hours or so of light left. With luck, they’d reach the spot before sunset. Suddenly, he spotted something in the distance. It was another ship, and not a small one like theirs.

Pushing off the railing he headed for the bridge.

“Captain, there’s another boat. I thought this was a minimal travel area? We should intercept them and warn them to change course. It could complicate matters.”

• 4 weeks later...

GM

Blackstaff

Checking through the binoculars, the captain nodded as he caught sight of what Christopher had seen. "Ah! The Shadowcaster, our local superyacht. Sorry, Mr. Daye!" All smiles, the clean-shaven young man was at least apologetic, "We're on the clock, and according to the radio it's already gotten the attention of the Coast Guard."

His smile soured, just a little, "No need for us to get involved, and especially not for you to meet the rotten little twerps the Shadowcaster hauls around." The venom in his voice all but said that he had, and he regretted the experience.

His earlier cheer soon returned, however, and as the 3QH rocketed towards the dive site he regaled Blackstaff with stories of other, much less hateful encounters with pleasure ships at sea.

All too soon they arrived, and Christopher was being expertly fitted into the impressively sleek and autonomous diving suit prepared for the operation. "Agents Mariner and Torch will wait up here," the captain said, indicating the towering, glowering hulk of a man in a blue uniform with sharp teeth and gills, and a stout woman in a red uniform with glowing red veins and eyes like the heart of the Sun, "they're security in case the negotiations go wrong. Press that button on your left wrist if they do, and we'll haul you to the surface and send the Agents to make sure nothing survives to follow you. The temple should be directly below us, according to the sonar, but it's quiet. Be ready for anything. Good luck, Mr. Daye!"

Those words, a tip over the side, and Christopher was falling into darkness and cold...

Captain Cosmos

Descending from the cold of the upper air, Captain Cosmos was soon faced with the black-hulled and imposing grandeur of the good ship Shadowcaster, its signal flares burning and pluming merrily away. The decks were milling with loud, angry teenagers in various genres of summer clothes arguing furiously with each other, though few were bothered enough to move from the deck chairs or pools or where they'd leaned against the gunwales (the wall things surrounding the decks). Even the arrival of the mighty Captain Cosmos was barely enough to catch anyone's attention, most of the passengers content to glance at him sullenly. The harried and nervous crew, for their part, seemed to scarcely dare turn away from their constant work cleaning up spills, broken things and hurrying to and fro with drinks.

Fortunately, one of them shouted "Hey, CHUCK! There's a cape here!" at the stairs leading down into the ship's lower decks, drawing out a smooth and polished valet of some unguessable age and origin, who pierced Buddy Brand with a gimlet grey eye and swiftly brought the dauntless dimensional deliverer up to speed.

On a whirlwind tour, Buddy found that the engine was shockingly busted, apparently from some juvenile prank, and that hours before that some of the teens had tipped the emergency helicopter into the ocean. They had steering, communication, everything but the power to move against the waves. A rescue tug was headed their way, but what was really needed was someone who could head off further damage, and keep some kind of order among the passengers. "The parents of my young masters have expressly forbidden me from interfering with them," he said crisply, "but I'm unaware of any agreement on your part against laying hands on these priceless treasures." 

A scuffle and thud of feet overhead drew a slow, weary look from Charles' face, a calm "Ah, another bare-knuckle brawl," and as the noises grew louder he looked at Captain Cosmos in silent, but desperate appeal... 

Blackstaff

Christopher nodded as the captain brought up the Coast Guard. That could complicate matter as well. He supposed the sooner they got this over with, the better for everyone. He eyed the Shadowcaster in the distance,something about it rose hairs on his neck but he dismissed it and turned his attention back to the captain as he regaled him with sea stories.

It wasn’t long before they reached their destination and he found himself being suited up. The wetsuit left little to the imagination and he was glad Lark wasn’t around to tease him. He didn’t like leaving his coat, but he managed to transfer a few things to external pockets on the dive suit and his shield bracelet was snug under a sleeve.

He listened to the captain’s instructions and glanced at the indicated button. He didn’t like the idea of a cleanup crew, but he understood the precaution. These were dangerous beings after all.

“Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.”

And like that… he was in the water. The dying threads of daylight fading quickly as he sank into the blackness.

Blackstaff had decided that an upfront approach would be best. They might see a sneaky approach as a threat. He switched on the suits light and looked around as he sank, sea life scattered around under the LED beam. It wasn’t long before the light started to play off the strange architecture of the sunken temple and there was no turning back. The locals knew he was there.

Edited by Spacefurry

The amazing Captain Cosmos

The sight of the sloshing sea did not feel good. Captain Cosmos couldn't drown if he wanted to. But going underwater sent his skin into a cold dread-childhood memories, and not good ones. 

What did one say in this situation? He wondered. Halt Evildoers was not only cliche, but inappropriate. 

"Hey their, sailors" he started, addressing the rapscallions (aka teenagers). "No need to punch each others lights out. Try a food fight, if you really want to take it out on each other. I'll buy you all a custard pie if you stop it!"

He hovered a few feet above the deck, hands on hip, smiling. 

"Or you can just tell me what's kicking off and I can try to fix it. Looks like this ship's been busted up pretty bad. Don't want to see you all drown. Those sneakers look too expensive to get ruined by seawater...."

Edited by Supercape

GM

Blackstaff

After the brief, warm respite of the surface water, cool grey in the light of the Sun, for a long while there was nothing to see by the light of the diving suit's headlamps, merely the detritus of the ocean and the occasional passing fish.

However, first as darker shadows in the black depths, then as solid stone, jutting towers and edifices of rock came into view. Soon they loomed above and around Christopher, towers hewn and polished by inhuman hands. Fragments of Deep One civilization sometimes came to the surface, or their ruins were discovered by divers, but too often such relics were just water-eroded rocks mistaken for something shaped on purpose.

The giant fish-like faces and ornate hieroglyphs all around him, however, couldn't be anything but art.

Another intent was picked up by the magical investigator. Something was watching him, angry and fearful.

Turning a corner, he saw the cause: many-armed and with gaping jaws, the mighty god Dagon reared and beckoned His children to an open-roofed temple. Half of His arms and one of His heads lay in its ruins, along with the wreckage of a black helicopter.

A moment later, the Deep Ones appeared. Hissing and croaking, hundreds of piscene eyes and thousands of sharp teeth flashed in the lamplight, and the water swarmed with powerful legs and long claws. An especially large one, with a red crest and stingeréd tail, drifted smoothly in front of Blackstaff. The rest swam around in circles, eyes fixed on the pair.

"<Your kind is known to us, Lost One,>" said Red Crest in perfect Atlantean, his voice rolling like thunder among the towers, "<you speak for the gods, so by my orders we won't eat you, but we will have justice. Two of us were killed when that Ouranic machine fell on our temple, trash and filth have rained down from its host and the cacophany of your young has frightened away fish for miles around.>"

Angry growls and clacking from the others rose, until Red Crest raised his claw to silence them. "<I am merciful, so I will ask for only two of your kind, whose death will memorialize our slain. Their blood and flesh will reconsecrate our temple, and their bones will become tools for us and toys for the children. As a master of the hidden arts, arranging this should pose no difficulty.>"

From their cold stares, Christopher's agreement was expected. From the tension in their muscles, his refusal would be dangerous...

Captain Cosmos

The two grappling women paused, them and the circle of other teens yelling "Fight, fight!" looking with incomprehension at Cosmos. The shorter one of the pair, a brunette, shoved her opponent away. "He's right!" she said, looking around at the others, "if we get back home looking like #&@$ we'll never live it down."

"Only we won't Bella," groused her foe (another brunette) with a sour sidelong look, "you can buy as many friends as you want."

"Yeah, that's true," said Bella. To Cosmos she added "That was kind of the whole thing, Viola was mad that my dad's richer than her dad, and then it got all personal, and then she tried to stab me. But that was just the heat of the moment, I know you didn't mean it." She smiled warmly at her former enemy and offered a hand, but Viola rolled her eyes and pushed her way out of the crowd.

"Hey magic man!" yelled another of the passengers "what's wrong with the boat? That butler won't let us down there, and nobody will admit they did anything. I bet it was Mike! That Mike!" he added, pointing at one of the two bewildered young men the other teens were looking at. Immediately the other Mike was on the offensive, accusing the accused of sabotaging the ship, poisoning the water supply, and trying to steal his look! The other teens repositioned, pumping their fists in the air and yelling "Fight, fight!"

Buddy had put out one fire, but it seemed there was a deeper inferno to quench...

Captain Cosmos

Fight, Fight...! What is this? A schoolyard?

The difference between a schoolyard and a ship was, he reflected, that a schoolyard wouldn't sink to the watery depths drowning everyone. 

The flavour of the brawl reminded Buddy of a an old, classic song, although he was pretty sure none of the bitchers would have heard it. Shame

"Look, ladies...."

Oh, I haven't got time for this...

Extending his psychic hand across the multiverse, he felt out the ripples of himself in various realities. It was not a precise science, by any means, more like a fumble in the dark, but...

There!

A version of himself in another reality, who had decided to spend his time educating and councilling young adults in current events and citizenship. Like most versions of Buddy, it was the same broad intention. Media, reporting, politics, truth. That version would do. 

With a frown of concentration, and a slight pang of guilt, he pulled Buddy Brand into his own universe. By nature, Buddy was a helpful soul, and most versions of himself were pretty happy to give help. 

But there was always a moment of discombulation. 

"What?"

"Sorry, me..." started Buddy. "Need your help. Multiverse. Brawling kids. Sinking ship. Totally safe, but these young folk need your expertise..."

He felt a bit sorry for Camp Counsillor Buddy, but the kids were already giving Captain Cosmos a headache. And right now, he needed to check the ship wasn't punctured, or exploding. 

He steeled himself, and flew into the water...

...You idiot boy! I'm gonna....

The flashback of his father came, like always, but he shook his head free of it. The effort sent a shudder through his shoulders and bile to his throat. Underwater, he had take a moment to buttress his head from the fear. Then he continued his underwater flight, examining the hull of the ship....

Blackstaff

Blackstaff was able to take a moment to admire the worked stone with an academic mind. Not many got this close of a look to it and lived to record it. He almost wished he could take some time to investigate the ruins, but something made the hairs on his neck want to rise.

Eyes, inhuman, watching him. He could feel them as he moved deeper. And that was when he saw the damage. The black metal wreckage amongst the rumble. A hefty chunk of the temple had suffered.

And like that, the Deep Ones emerged from the dark waters beyond his lights. Their leader, larger than the others and with red cresting, approached and spoke. The Atlantean coming in clearly through the suit’s helmet.

Blackstaff listened to their demands with calm professionalism. It wasn’t the first time something demanded flesh as retribution, and it probably would be the last time.

And if he had to be honest, by their standards these demands were pretty tame and fairly reasonable. Unfortunately he did not go by their standards.

He knew he would have to choose his next words carefully.

“I am honored by your hospitality. I am also deeply sorrowful for your losses. This was a tragic accident and the ones I represent would be willing to remove the remains of the machine if you allow them.”

Blackstaff hoped he was sounding suitably humbled. He hadn’t spoken Atlantean in a while. His land dweller accent was probably horrible. 

“Your demands are most wise and reasonable. But I can not agree to them without conferring with them.”

He quickly continued, hopefully before they grew agitated.

“I am sure we will be able to come to a mutually acceptable reparation. If you will allow me a chance to contact them.”

• 3 weeks later...

GM

Captain Cosmos

Watching his Doppelgänger dive out of sight, the other Buddy turned to survey his charges with a critical eye. An experimental blast on his whistle had no effect. The fight had no apparent cause but boredom, and an eagerness to betray another to advance oneself. "Good goal, bad time" Buddy remarked with a sigh, stepping in between the tussling teenagers and grabbing them both by their heads, which he brought crashing together and then released so the two boys fell heavily to the ground. 

"My name is Buddy Brennt," he told the startled-into-silence crowd in a clear, carrying voice like cold steel, taking off his jovial green jacket to reveal a red shirt with the double lightning bolts of SHADOW emblazoned on a field of white, "and from me, children, you will learn discipline."

------

Down below was both blessedly peaceful, and quiet. Without the motor running, the Shadowcaster bobbed gently along with the waves, and there was little enough else to listen to.

There was, however, plenty to see.

From bow to stern, all along the boat's hull, was carved letters and symbols in some strange, inhuman hand. Depictions of brutal death, fanged maws and bloody knives predominated, with graffiti-like letters and glyphs swirling across the metal. Just looking at them was enough to spark a primordial chill in the heart of any human.

At least nothing appeared to be damaged, and the noise from on deck had died down. Died down enough to let in the rumble of an approaching boat motor...

Blackstaff

Red Crest gurgled his dissatisfaction. From the dark looks shot his way and similar sounds coming from his tribe-mates, this wasn't supposed to be how it went. But for all that, he inclined his head stiffly. <"So be it. But be quick, Speaker. I have told my people to wait, and they have waited, but waiting will not pay for the dead. We will be here when you return with the sacrifices.">

The water swirled with sudden motion, and the Deep Ones had vanished into the cracks and darkness of their city.

Back up top, Christopher was surrounded by curious faces, which soon turned disbelieving as he told them what was going on.

"With all due respect, sir," Agent Torch cracked her knuckles, "me and Mariner can take a few fishies. We don't need to kill any of them," she added reassuringly to Christopher, "just let 'em know they aren't at the table as equals, and shouldn't make demands."

The captain stroked his chin, thoughtful. "This Red Crest, he didn't mention our oceanography module? At all? And he thinks you're some kind of priest? I bet you could fool them with some kind of sham ritual, and while that's going on, we move the module away. They think they've won, we don't have to worry about vandalism, none of those kids gets nabbed by a vengeful fish-guy, sounds like a win-win-win option to me!"

"Unless they find out it's fake, and then vengeful fish-guys nab Blackstaff." Mariner jerked a thumb in Christopher's direction, "These guys aren't like us, but they're not shy about revenge and they're not stupid. Frankly, I think we should wipe out the colony, and send the bodies to be analyzed. Safe, profitable, effective."

Captain Cosmos

Buddy Brand new the latest political strife in Kuzovlakistan. He understood the theo-political turbulance of South America and the economic flux caused by global AI adapting to linked global electronic markets. 

He hadn't got a clue what all those symbols meant. Other than the universal scream of "EVIL!"

They certainly didn't look good. And no normal ship would have such eldritch symbols painted onto its bow. But by who?

Was this ship even of this world?

He rose from the sea, dripping brine, and pulling off some seaweed from his cape. He hovered a moment, a dozen feet above the waves, surveying the ship once again. The phrase Ghost ship came to mind, although the ship was undeliably palpable. But maybe he wasn't totally off mark. 

He flew onto the deck of the ship, and started to march up to the bridge. If anyone knew what was going on, it would be the captain. Or more precisely, the captains log book!

GM

Captain Cosmos

Whatever Buddy had expected from the bald, muscular 40-something serving as captain of the Shadowcaster, cringing obeisance wasn't on the list. But the rest of the bridge crew looked on in weary resignation as Captain John Monterey nearly set a land-speed record hauling out a tidy red leather volume from among charts and stacks of manuals. Shoving such trifles off the main table of the dim, rectangular room, John tapped an overhead light which obligingly increased its lumen output, then started flipping through the densely-written pages. "It's all here, Mr. Cosmos," he assured Buddy with a frantic smile, "the shakedown cruise in '15, the storm damage in '17, even an unfortunate misunderstanding when a few archaeological relics from a Danger Foundation ship got locked in my safe. I told them it was the monkeys, they didn't listen. But it's the truth!" He stared momentarily at a fine-line drawing of a rhesus, staring out maliciously at the reader with a dark and sinister intelligence in its eyes. 

Clearing his throat, Captain John renewed his ingratiating attitude. "As you may see, Mr. Cosmos, my craft has extensive documentation for nearly every hour of its existence. At no time have any mysterious letters or iconography been observed. But I'd never say you're wrong, of course, I believe these things have somehow appeared on the hull. What do you, uh, suggest we do about it? If anything?"

Captain Cosmos

Buddy had interviewed enough fanatics to spot a fanatic when he saw one. There was no point trying to reason with him, no point using debate or logic or persuasion. A fanatic was a fanatic, and that was that. What one could do, he had found, was guide them into hanging themselves with their own rope. 

What did his crew think of him? Would they follow a fanatic? did they think he was one?

Of course, Buddy realised, a fanatic could also be right. 

"The monkeys, eh? Quite cheeky, I imagine. Look, you seem like a man who has seen his fair share of strange things. Goes with experience, I guess. Eldritch writings appearing on your ships hull?"

Buddy tried to make himself more relaxed. He swished his cape away and took a friendly posture sitting on one of the bridge chairs. 

"Now that's something even you don't see every day. I wonder what caused them. Do you have a theory? Perhaps some odd cargo, odd passenger? Maybe you have some clue? Something in this part of the waters? If anyone knows, I think it would be you..."

Butter em up, let em slip...

Blackstaff

Blackstaff shook his head.

“Force isn’t going to be the answer. They out numbered us and could easily overwhelm this ship and any other that happens by.”

He waved a hand in the direction of the yacht not all that far away. He had been paired with their type before. Hired guns that thought a bullet could solve all their problems if you just fired enough of them.

The captain’s idea was at least less violent but it was still problematic. All it would take was  one slip up and the deep ones would swarm like piranha. That red chested one in particular seemed sharp. Blackstaff got the impression he would be looking for the con.

He took a deep breath.

“I can try to get you time. Maybe I can convince them to wait for the… ‘compensation’ until they’ve fixed their temple. If you can get a ship out here to recover the wreckage quickly. They don’t care about it or the module. I bet they’d just like it gone.”

He rubbed his chin. He still wasn’t sure what to do about the sacrificial offerings that were looking for. He glanced in direction of the yacht thoughtfully. If he did need to come up with something sooner there might be something useful on that ship.

• 3 weeks later...

GM

Blackstaff

"Well hey," one of the clean-cut crew spoke up, "that boat of Tugger's, the Longarm, it's got a crane and sonar for picking things off the seafloor. It's headed here anyway and we know exactly where the helo is!"

Mariner sucked air through his sharp teeth "Another boat and more people means more noise, more pollution, and that other stuff they're complaining about. But it's not me pulling it up, which is what I was worried would happen, so I'm for it. Can get the module too."

"I still think we can take 'em, but if you think we should play nice I'll go along." Torch looked genuinely regretful at the idea of not fighting. "If there's no objection, I'll fly over to the party boat, see if there's anything that needs welding or whatever." No objection raised, a column of fire lifted into the air and arced towards the slouching Shadowcaster.

"I'll get on the horn with the Longarm," volunteered the captain, "and contact HQ to see what we can offer the tribe. Maybe we can offer some tech that'll cover for the debt. Or a &#%@-ton of fish."

That was delayed briefly by a sudden, violent impact on the boat from below. Something long, sleek, and many-limbed started tearing through the water towards the Shadowcaster!

Captain Cosmos

Captain Monterey paled "Nothing weird aboard! The passengers are normal, human, of this dimension and no other. The cargo is assorted foodstuffs, fuel, maintenance equipment and sundry basic supplies." A moment's thought, eyes raised to the elusive and indifferent heavens. "There is a registered tribe of Deep Ones, Tenebris Pisces Sapiens, within a radius of approximately five miles...but none of us would ever make contact with them, they've been especially violent since the Atlanteans moved through their territory a few years ago."

"Hey, Jack!" one of the crew, hunched over a suite of readout screens, waved the captain over desperately, "there's something huge moving our way!"

"The Deep Ones are noted," the captain remarked to Buddy, "for their skill at taming sea monsters. And marking their targets with a menacing yet intricate script." To the crew he added "Please raise the alarm and prepare evacuation."

A deep, shuddering roar rumbled through the Shadowcaster, and the bridge began rocking back and forth with gathering speed... 

Captain Cosmos

Buddy raised his eyebrows. The Captain seemed to simultaneously know what he was talking about and be avoiding some deeper truth. 

Maybe I am just suspicious... he thought. The nature of my job...everyone's concealing something. 

"Something huge? That doesn't sound good...." he said. "You really better go get the lifeboats. And make sure everyone gets off, eh?"

He took a deep breath in. It sounded to him like a fight was coming. He cast a quick glance at the radar to guage the direction of the incoming beast (assuming it was a beast, but to Buddy, that was a pretty fair assumption), and flew out of the bridge, hovering twenty, thirty feet above the ocean, and moving towards the incoming object. 

His eyes scanned the horizon, scanned the surface of the water. Something that large should cause a wake, he thought. He hoped. He really didn't want to go under the bobbing surface again. The froth, the undulation, the disorientation, his screaming father. 

He shook himself out of the memory and cracked his knuckles. 

"Captain Comsos to the rescue, I guess..."

Edited by Supercape

Blackstaff

Blackstaff wasn’t fond of the idea of another boat in the mix, but if it was better equipped to remove the wreckage it was probably for the best.

He was glad the crew was dealing with everything calmly and rationally, even if a select few seemed disappointed. He watched Torch take off towards the Shadowcaster.

He didn’t think tech would sway them, but he couldn’t help but chuckle at the captain’s estimate of the volume of fish possibly required.

Blackstaff stood to follow the captain.

“The Longarm, how long do you think until it can ge-“

His question was cut short as the boat rocked from an impact.

“What in the nine hells?”

The wizard swore as he grabbed the railing to steady himself.

Then he saw it.

Something large and menacing was heading directly towards the Shadowcaster. It cut through the water at a speed the belated the mass he was sure was hidden under the waves it created.

Blackstaff swore again in several languages.

“Did they get tired of waiting already?”

He growled and turned on the captain.

“Call the Longarm and tell it to steer clear. Then keep yourselves at a safe distance.”

He yelled back as he ran to the bow of the ship.

Not bothering to take a second to catch his breath Blackstaff’s voice rumbles deep, but melodically.

“S’queth Cyclis Stourbreze”

Sudden winds whip up around him like a tiny storm. They grab at him. Pluck at his clothes and hair. A whisper thin giggle flutters on the breeze as Blackstaff pours magic out into the wind, securing it, taking control of it. He knows this is a fleeting gift, but as long as they come when he calls he will thank them. One hand gripping his staff, the wizard pulls a clenched fist from his jacket.

Into the whirling winds he thrusts his fist and opens it. A rainbow of glittering confetti follows his magic and the giggle echoes on the winds. The price paid, Blackstaff leaps from the rocking bow of the ship. The winds grabbing and lifting him, and at his command the carry him aloft, racing against the sea beast.

Edited by Spacefurry
  • 2 weeks later...

GM

Captain Cosmos

Buddy wasn't long waiting for a wake. In the distance a furious frothing churned the water in a line headed right for the boat. A huge head rhythmically surfaced, a long and curving jaw like a great eel surmounted by ghastly, staring white eyes.  Around it lanced bolts of white-hot fire, a floating, flaming woman trying to draw the attention of whatever it was before it reached the Shadowcaster, but to no avail. Around Buddy the alarm began to blare, the crew racing around decks and trying to wrangle the passengers to the lifeboats, which proved surprisingly easy. 

On a makeshift pedestal swayed Camp Controller Buddy, barking orders to detachments of the previously unruly teens, who marched with perfect synchronicity and form to their respective lifeboats and filed aboard without so much as a glimmer of individuality. 

The boat was soon emptied, save for Captain Monterey, who'd stayed behind in the bridge and showed little interest in leaving, and Camp Controller Buddy who'd refused "the cursed bed-death" and was hastily carving a makeshift spear.

Meanwhile, the monster had surged ahead without a glance to either the right or left, and in moments seemed poised to careen headlong into the wrecked party boat.

Blackstaff

Whatever the crew's reply was, was lost in the sudden launch into thin air. 

Arcing above the great, mostly unseen beast, Christopher saw the Longarm's crew racing to turn the ship around and prepare it for receiving the lurching yacht's lifeboats. A roar from below quickly drew his attention, to a very surprising sight.

The beast's long tail had briefly swung up, and Red Crest had emerged with it, the claws on his feet and one of his arms hooked fast into the scales of the monster! Thus anchored, his huge jaws tore furiously into the creature, though even his ferocity had limited impact on something so terrible.

In his free claw, he gripped a struggling figure, who on closer inspection was a Deep One dressed in an outfit of kelp and sea urchin spines that vaguely resembled the damaged statue far below. Though much larger and stronger than a human, the priest was practically helpless in just one of Red Crest's enormous hands. As he looked, Christopher saw other Deep Ones also latched on, tearing off pieces of the great beast with a desperate fury.

In another moment, he'd caught up with the flying Agent Blaze, panting from the exertion of her so-far fruitless attacks. "Can't get a good shot!" she yelled to Blackstaff, "Any ideas?!"

Captain Cosmos

Buddy eased up the brakes on his all out flight, drifting to a standstill, hovering above the ocean. 

Deep water, ready to swallow me, leap up my nose, into my lungs, grasp my skin with cold. It would be impossible for Buddy to drown now; he no longer needed oxygen. But still the lapping waves seemed to threaten to plunge him back to his childhood. The fury of his father. 

It doesn't look so pacific now...

He forced his mind back to the present, making sure to hover twenty feet above the ocean waves. 

"Ho!" he said, spreading his arms like an eagle, palms facing the woman and the beast. 

"Who are you, madam?" he asked the fiery woman. "And what leviathan is this?"

He hoped it was nothing to worry about. But it was a foolish hope. He knew very well that it looked awfully like something to worry about. It looked like a fight was brewing. 

Blackstaff

Winds carried the mage up and out over the dark flue sea in the wake of the leviathan. His will pushed him forward to catch up with agent Blaze. All the wiggle his mind raced in search of something to do to stop the watery behemoth.

On 9/7/2023 at 9:37 PM, Ari said:

GM

"Can't get a good shot!" she yelled to Blackstaff, "Any ideas?!"

Blackstaff started to answer when another man joined them in the air at the same time as him.

On 9/8/2023 at 4:27 PM, Supercape said:

Captain Cosmos

"Ho!" he said, spreading his arms like an eagle, palms facing the woman and the beast. 

He gritted his teeth hoping the newcomer was friendly.

“Belongs to the locals.”

He answers while pointing down at the water. He points at her, then himself.

“Blaze. Blackstaff. Doesn’t look like they want it up here any more then we do. Doubt we can’t stop it in time, but maybe we can persuade it to change course.”

He says quickly.

“We need a big underwater sound blast.”

The winds pick up and drive Blackstaff towards the Shadowcaster as his mind races, trying to piece together a proper spell.

• 5 months later...

GM

On 9/8/2023 at 1:27 PM, Supercape said:

On 9/10/2023 at 6:20 PM, Spacefurry said:

“Blaze. Blackstaff. Doesn’t look like they want it up here any more then we do. Doubt we can’t stop it in time, but maybe we can persuade it to change course.”

"What he said! Nice to meet you, Cosmic-Man!" Blaze hollered over the howling, strengthening wind, "Good luck, dude!" she added as Christopher launched towards the night-black yacht. Its lifeboats were regimentally sweeping towards the oncoming rescue tug but still lay dangerously close to the mothership. From his vantage point the mage could see that the monster's heading wasn't as straight as it had been before. Its blunt head turned between the lifeboats and the Shadowcaster, as if confused and uncertain, though its speed didn't drop for an instant. An odd, hard-eyed figure standing with one foot on the main deck's rail had a fast-growing pile of crude spears at their side.

Meanwhile, Blaze hurriedly filled in Captain Cosmos as they followed the great fish "We're here on a job from Brande Management Ltd., trying to calm down the fishmen. Ain't going well! We're trying to avoid any other ugliness, so we need to hit the big thing without hurting any of the little guys. Otherwise we'll never get that undersea probe back. Do you have super-strength or something, maybe lift part of that thing out of the sea? I could do some real damage then!"

Edited by Ari

Captain Cosmos

"Yeah, I can try..." said Captain Cosmos. "Although the thing looks like it could eat me."

"And what the hell is Brande Management?" he asked. "Managing Kraken?"

It looked like a detailed explanation would have to wait, but this sounded...

...well, it sounded fishy. 

A woman on fire trying to calm down some fishermen? Was this some kind of Atlantean hunting party? If so, the whole thing smelled of "Diplomatic incident". But what could he do? Leave the leviathan to wreak havoc and gobble up some civilians?

He winced, and once again plunged beneath the ocean. Again. The flashback came back stronger this time, and he found himself emptying his stomach underwater. That only made the shame and fear worse. The whole experience threatened to paralyse him. 

Shuddering, he tried - and only partially successfully - to pull himself together and study the beast from underwater. If he could find the right place to lift... then he would try!