The (Theater) Kids Are Alright [Open]

Tiffany Korta

Leonard Fox Auditorium, Claremont Academy

Rosalind Sommaripa, reluctant director

Roselind mused she had a special kind of luck, the ability to be at the right place at the wrong time. An offhanded comment that they put on a play this year for the parents, had fallen on the ears of an enthusiastic teacher. It ended up with her even meeting with the Headmistress with promises of extra credits for the idiot that would run the whole show, that idiot being her!

So sitting in the auditorium, waiting for both whoever had been roped into helping and those who wanted to audition, she wondered what play they should pick. Worrying that she should have already decided this, if not the whole thing had been a little bit of a whirl since she’d mentioned the idea.

Currently, she was flip-flopping between One with the Night and Centurion (if she only had a few shows up), at least they should have an advantage with the special effects...

• Tiffany Korta changed the title to The (Theater) Kids Are Alright [Open]

Starshine

Despite her best efforts Rosalind was a natural worrier, she didn’t want to do all this but that didn’t mean she wanted it all the fail...

“Maybe I could do a solo show, like the Liberty Monologes?” she mused to herself “I mean I don’t have to worry about lighting with my powers... and I can work the curtain with my feet!” she slumped, this was going to be a disaster.

Still after a few more, infuriating minutes, she could call this a bust and go do something less stressful. Hopefully superhero groups didn’t check references it would suck to be denied onto the League beause she failed a theature credit...

Now very few people would define Luke as a theater kid, not that he minded the attention of course, yet his presence was perhaps more likely on the soccer field than on the stage and yet, there he was, planning to audition for a role on the school play. And failing that, well, maybe some of his magic tricks could help out setting the mood or something... After all, it was pretty much free credits right? Plus, the seventeen-years old wasn't really above trying something new anyway. Not knowing exactly what to expect, the young man hadn't picked anything more than his trademark sweatpants and t-shirt (with ripped sleeves of course) combo, completed with ballcap and sneakers. 

"Hey." He saluted Rosalind with a friendly smile. 

Leon yawned as he followed his roommate into the school’s auditorium. The optional (well, optional in his opinion) curfew hadn’t kept him from a late night excursion the night prior and it hadn’t been difficult for Luke to convince him to check out the possible easy credits

He tucked his phone into his jeans and pulled back the hood of the hoodie he was wearing. As they neared Rosalind he recognized her. After all, he had made a mental note of all the cute red-heads back before the new year had started. Before he had an actual girlfriend. He made a complete turn as he walked, the BABYMETAL logo visible on the back of the hoodie as he did. Glancing around the auditorium he raised an eyebrow before looking at the reluctant head of the endeavor.

“Are we early?"

He teased, giving the red-head a grin.

“Cause if my boy here woke me up before needed I’m gonna be very cross with him.”

He chuckled and gave Luke’s shoulder a friendly shove.

Shadowborne

Murine walked in hesitantly dressed in a loose red blouse and charcoal leggings. One of her teachers had recommended she try out for this play, put her abilities both social and supernatural to good use. She hadn't expected to see Luke and Leon there, but it was definitely better than being surrounded by strangers. Although, speaking of not being surrounded... “Did I arrive too late? I could've sworn this was the time everyone said."

Perhaps Jonah's whole power being was being weed, because he already seemed bigger than the prior day.

He ambled on inside, looming as he did. Not that he thought he'd be a good actor, given his voice has started to quaver and crack as it wanted to go to a sonorous depth, and that would make monologues just be grating. No, he expected to do some manual labor, or something. This wasnt his normal thing. But his allotted time in the simulator was limited and there weren't really a good mountain nearby.

He came in with a uniform shirt that was a little on the short side, that he simply hadn't gotten a new one for yet.

He gravitated towards Rosalinde, just for where she was, and he didn't know her. "You in charge?"

• 4 weeks later...

Starshine

Rosalind finally let out a breath and slumped in her seat as people finally turned up. She should have remembered than then you gave a time that was when people would start turning up, not fifteen miutes early as not to suffer the embarrassment of being late and everyone already being ready and you not knowing what you missed!

But maybe that was just her?

Gathering herself up, she adopted the proper manner of a director, acting the part if you will.

Yes, yes I’m in charge for my sins! I guess we’ll start with people showing there acting chops, form yourself up and each give me a short piece if you please.”

Oh hey maybe she could pull this off, as long as nothing else went wrong...

Jonah was doing this for the exposure, to get out of his comfort, and well he didn't expect to be auditioning, really. It seemed informal, and ran by a student so...

He glanced awkwardly and then he straightened his back and pulled his shoulders back as he queued up in the hopes someone would get it first. "I am probably better served with building stuff, or like, moving lights. But, ah, I did prepare something just in case..."

Leon blinked a little sleepily as Rosiland talked. He yawned again and stretched. He gave a small smirk and nudged Luke.

“This was your idea, you go first.”

He teased his friend.

“Then, I can show you how it’s done.”

He grinned.

“After all, as a professional liar, I’m a natural actor… or politician.”

He chuckled, but he hadn’t expected an impromptu audition. He was actually sorting around in his mind for something he could use.

Leon glanced sideways at Jonah. Of course he had something prep ‘just in case’. He still hadn’t figured out what hair the kid had up his butt for him. He dismissed it and turned his attention back to Rosiland.

• 1 month later...

Starshine

I’m afraid which such a low turnout…” not that she blamed anyone “...everyone’s going to have to pitch in…” except herself, being the director had to at least have one benefit.

At least she didn’t have to worry about there being no woman here, a disturbing number of superhero plays seemed to be a boys-only club. Not she mused proudly, trying to convince anyone on her floor to try out.

Rosalind shook her head to recover her poise after her protracted chain of thought, heaven forbid what everyone else thought of her spacing out.

Anyway in your own time...”

Jonah did a magnanimous 'after you' hand sweep movement, as he stepped aside to let Leon go first. Whatever was in his craw with the other boy didn't show.

What he did show was his arms folding across his chest in way that wasn't put upon. The kid was big, and more than that it fit when he made such a gesture, even as his face showed minimal response.

• 3 weeks later...

Leon was chuckling with Luke when Jonah made a sweeping gesture. The taller boy was obviously calling him out. He glanced at Luke then back at Jonah. Leon wasn’t about to back down now. He stood up a little straighter and shot Rosalind a smile. 

“Guess I’ll show these scaredy cats how it’s done.”

Leon started towards the stage. His mind was racing, trying to think of what to do. Nothing like a gun to your head to get the brain wor-

That was it. He had an idea. Hopefully he could pull it off.

Onstage, Leon cleared his throat. With a wave of his hand his hoodie dissolved, paper flowing around and reforming on the stage. 

There’s a short bench and beside it a small desk and chair. The silhouette of a computer sits on the desk and, in the chair, the silhouette of a body lays slumped over in front of the computer. Red slowly creeps into the white of the computer.

Leon holds a paper pistol in one hand. Slowly he lowers himself onto the bench and he looks down at the weapon in his hand. His voice when he speaks is loud enough to be heard but carries a somber weight.

“My sister died. She died, and all I could do was put a bullet through the neck of the thing she was becoming. Once the virus was active I had lost her. I lost everything important to me.”

He looks over at the ‘body’.

“The Mason’s never really loved us, we were just a PR stunt. So, we had to rely on each other and we worked so well together. We became one to the greatest news sites in the country. We were on the way to having everything we could’ve wanted. But in the end it cost us everything.”

Leon lowers his head.

“With your last moments you gave it your all. Asking… begging for others to rise up and demand the truth. To rise up and pry the truth for those that would hold it in the dark, away from the light. And with your last keystrokes… you begged me to finish what the virus started, before you forgot who you were. And god help me, I could never tell you ‘no’.”

He lifts the gun up to look at it.

“I could follow you. But I know you’d just kick my ass in the afterlife for not see the story to its end. For not making sure the truth was fully exposed. And I know you wouldn’t want me to take revenge. But that’s just it, you’re not here anymore and all I have is my anger. My anger, and a bullet for the man that gave to order that got you killed.”

Leon stands up and the paper props collapse. He grins, giving a short bow.

“Thank you, I’m here all week.”

He jokes as he hops down from the stage to rejoin the group.

”If anyone else needs props just ask.”

He offers.