"Okay. Okay." The Patriot rubbed her hand against her jaw, then said, "This is going to sound like bullshit but you have to bear with me. There are - there are werewolves on the Moon." She broke off in a desperate little laugh, then said, "I know how that sounds, but believe me, this is completely real. They're Farsiders, the psionic colony that lives up there, you learned about that at Claremont, right?" she asked desperately. 

"Well, some of them were affected a few years ago by an alien artifact," Don't tell her it's called the Moonstone she will for sure think you're nuts and you don't have time for that right now "which...well it turned them into werewolves. They had their sanity restored and the artifact was taken to Earth, but the transformation stuck. Most of them live happily enough up there, but a few of them liked the idea of turning into some kind of furry...gospel, thing, and they really liked it after that werewolf attack in Freedom last Halloween." She looked at Carmen, hoping the girl didn't think she was nuts. 

"It sounds like they hacked into the teleporter downstairs and infiltrated the base here to get the - the thing, and when they didn't find it, they decided to take hostages." She looked up there and said, "But they really don't know what they're doing keeping Daisy hostage along with regular people. If we don't get up there soon, people are going to die even if they don't try to hurt the hostages." 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carmen

"Licantropos on the moon?" Carmen spoke somewhat confused. She had read up on the psionic colony on the moon but hadn't gotten to the part of their history where they had become full on werewolves. Finding out that people were living on the moon wasn't too out there, but the werewolf part was strange to say the least, even if she herself wasn't too far off from that same sort of state of being for herself, being a werecat.

The young heroine would stand back up, stretching back as she rolled her head. Sometimes getting low like that could be a bit of a pain if it she stayed down like that for a while and getting into a fight without stretching was never a good idea, even for someone as limber and flexible as she could be. Claremont was teaching her plenty enough as she calmly spoke, "So you got werewolves hacking some sort of teleporter to the moon and got the whole building hostage, upstairs and down here. You'd think a place like this would have better security, but I guess coming from within go them off guard, right? So how we deal with the hostages?" she says with a sort of mock salute.

Edited by MoonSimply

Okay. Okay. Play it cool. 

"There are back ways into the upstairs," said the Patriot, trying to take some solace in how easily the teenager was dealing with nonsense that had so recently become terrifyingly real. "and thank God they came at night. You actually met most of the people who work in the building at night earlier today." She thought about quizzing Carmen about their names, the way Callie Summers would have, but instead she focused on the mission. "So we don't have that many people to rescue." She considered what to say, then said, "I think we need to start in my office. That's where they were keeping Daisy, and if we get her out in time, she can help us. But..." She hesitated, then said, "La Puma, if you see anything up there, you have to keep it to yourself, all right? Daisy is...she's not really my friend, but she's stood with me when a lot of other people didn't. If she gets outed because of this, I'll never forgive myself." 

Carmen

"Well, my lips are sealed. You've been good to me, so I'll be good for you maestro," she says before taking a deep breath, stretching her body once again before what seemed like a small prayer to herself. It was one that she was taught back in the orphanage and kept to heart when she needed to relax and be able to focus on what she was going do. For this, it was far beyond anything that she had ever done before. Lives were on the line, including her own, and she wasn't going to let some wolfmen from the moon get in the way.

With another deep breath she spoke again, "Let's get up there then. I'll do my best to help whatever way I can up there. Once we do that, we clean up down here, right?"

A little while later, the two of them were in close quarters. The lower stories of the building had been built with internal crawlways during its initial construction back in the 1960s, back when they led down to a bomb shelter under the building. Though it had been upgraded some in the intervening years there were only so many ways to change what was essentially a long metal tube with a built-in ladder. The Patriot took point, moving with a grace that nearly matched her feline colleague as they headed up the couple of floors to reach their target - the janitor's closet on the first floor, directly across from the front door to the Patriot's small office suite. If the werewolves were anywhere up here, it had to be close by. 

Once inside the closet, the Patriot stopped to check her gear, charging her pistol, having moved with the cool silence that bespoke long experience. When they were both inside the closet and in position, she nodded, then carefully tried the door. 

• 2 weeks later...

Carmen

The young heroine kept rather close to her mentor as they traveled through the internal crawlways and spaces that were tight and ill-fitting for people to normally traverse through. For her at the least it wasn't too difficult, being of a smaller build than most as she kept her eyes on Patriot and moving at a comfortable distance and as silent as she could without trying too much. Climbing up ladders was trivial compared to her typical climbing habits, but the slight sense of dread and the fear of this dangerous situation was beginning to take its toll on her mind, a slight sickness in her stomach.

Once in the janitor's closet, she'd take a deep breath, closing her eyes again for a few moments, "Realmente tengo un mal presentimiento sobre esto,"  Puma spoke in her native tongue. It calmed her down, feeling naturally with each syllable. Thoughts of the orphanage back home, thinking if this was happening there, she would leap to defend them in a heartbeat. Even if she didn't know these people well, she'd treat them just the same, paying them back for their kindness and follow her mentor into the fire in heartbeat.

"I think I'm ready."

They threw open the closet door together, only to find the hallway nearly empty. The Patriot didn't blink, though, moving through the room with a cool, tactical eye, her pistol out and ready for action. Holding up a finger for silence, they stepped close to the door of the Patriot's office. They could both hear noises inside, but from the way the Patriot turned expectantly to La Puma Negra, Ashley couldn't make out what was happening inside. 

Carmen could hear something, though - the familiar voice of Daisy Gibbons but gone soft and sinuous and snake-like, a feeling like a soft hand rubbing her fur the wrong way as it said "That's right, little puppy. Now - kneel before me.

Carmen

Once the closet door was swung open, Puma leapt forward, trying to move fast against what she would assume would be surprised lunar wolf people. Instead, she was found wanting as she studied the room around her. The enemy wasn't there but following Patriot's movement and command, she'd keep silent, stalking like the cat of her namesake once more and moved to flank the other side of the door. Super hearing allowed her to hear what she would have likely not have heard, but what she did hear, muffled as it was, sounded rather like Ms. Gibbons to an unnatural degree. The cold and serpent-like voice brought a chill to her body that wasn't there before, unnerving her as she looked over to Patriot.

Puma appeared to wonder if kicking the door in was the valid strategy here. She was fast enough and strong enough to do so but differed to Patriot for what was to be done. After all, she'd rather the guidance of the professional hero than her own rookie self to make such a choice. Still, something was right, it didn't sound like Gibbon's but it was.

The Patriot looked at her protege and shook her head, not sure what Carmen was trying to tell her, and decided to kick in the door. She went first and quiet, gun in hand as she kicked open the door and dropped to one knee when she saw a werewolf down on his hands and knees in front of her secretary. She fired a single shot that took the wolf in the back of the head, knocking him down like a poleaxed steer.

Carmen saw Daisy's eyes widen as she looked past her boss to see the teen, eyes distinctly red turning human again as she slurred "Hey boss," for a a moment before stabilizing. "Good shot, but I bet those dog ears heard-" 

"We'll talk later," said the Patriot, up on her feet again. "Where are the other hostages?" From down the hall, everyone heard the distinct sound of human screaming...

Carmen

Puma hadn't really been trying to tell her much, but if she was, she likely wasn't doing too well of it, awkwardly fumbling with what appeared to hand signals. Not that Puma had much experience with doing so, having gotten it from the few American films she had watched before coming to the country itself. She'd immediately dash inside, growling before soon realizing after standing inside the room that there was no need at all for violence yet as the situation felt somewhat handled before they even got there.

Those eyes weren't of a normal human's and the young heroine watched them shift rather quickly back to a normal state, "I... I won't ask yes..." she stammers, looking away towards the knocked cold moon wolfman that had so been unfortunate to have decided to come on such a mission for his people.

"Do you know how many of them there are Ms. Gibbons?"

• 2 weeks later...

Before Daisy could answer, a gigantic man-wolf came charging into the room, barreling out of a nearby room full of the sound of human screaming. It was a big creature, taller than any of the women, with a muscular chest and build and distinct scent of human fear on it.

"Stupid Earth-things!" it bellowed at the trio. "What did-hey where did you come from?" it started to say just as it noticed its unconscious brother-in-arms - just as Daisy smiled and the Patriot took aim with her pistol. 

Carmen

Puma was beyond confused. It had sounded like there was before they had gotten into the room a whole other person that was there. Before curiosity killed the cat and she was going to ask outright what exactly was going on, another wolfman, bigger than all of them in the room busted in, looking over the scene in a state of confusion. Puma would take the initiative in attacking, leaping forward a top a table before attempting a pouncing slash at him. However, it was far too inaccurate, coming off wilder than it should.

With a roar, the wolf threw Carmen off him in a hard shove, reeking of alien sweat with the essential element of canine. "Filthy Earthspawn! Give us the stone!" he roared. With that he leaped for the Patriot, jaw snapping with teeth long and sharp as knives. His bite closed on the Patriot's jacket as Ashley raised her left arm to defend herself but missed flesh, Ashley briefly caught as the teeth sank into tough leather that she couldn't tear free from! 

And then Daisy spoke. "Stop it. Stop it. Stop it." Her eyes were red again as she spoke in the low slithering tones of a snake, her gaze fixed directly on the werewolf's, who seemed to struggle, shaking his head and releasing the Patriot from his jaws. "STOP IT. STOP IT. STOP IT." she kept on, advancing slowly on the frozen wolf. 

The Patriot snapped off a glowing-red laser shot into the wolf's leg, making him howl, and hissed- "Puma, hit that leg again. Daisy, make him run back to Papa!" 

Carmen

That voice again, so snake like that it was near terrifying to hear. She'd hold such fears in for the time being as she tumbled away, having failed in her previous attack to swipe at the wolf man in her leap. Carmen would watch as long jagged teeth nearly bit into Patriot, catching at her jacket instead thankfully. These wolfman were dangerous when they wanted to be, but the combined heroics and strength of the duo seemed more than enough to take one down together as she leapt into action once more.

"Hiya!" cried La Puma as she drove in, getting low as if to try and sweep him before attempting to kick both feet up in an upward kick to surprise him with her excellent foot work. She might still be a rookie, but she was definitely getting better at it.

Bleeding and battered, the wolf man continued his flight out the door, finally collapsing halfway down towards the hostages, bleeding and battered from several injuries. The Patriot whispered almost inaudibly - "The most likely time for hostages to die is when the hostage takers know that rescue is coming. But with these guys, once they smell the blood of their own-" 

Sure enough, there was a howling and growling from inside the hostage room amid terrified screaming - but then an instant later, three more wolves came barreling out of the room and running towards the heroes (and Daisy). A voice was yelling after them from inside - "Stop, you idiots! Stop!" but they did not seem to be listening. "This is it!" yelled the Patriot, pistols flying into her hands. 

With team, work all three of them managed to down the wolfman from space before he could cause any sort of harm or injury to them or the hostages that were there. He was running away, but with so many hits, he was down and passed out on the floor soon enough. Puma for her part was still weary, there was bound to be more coming, she could feel it, and soon enough it was proven true just as Patriot recalled the scent of their own kind's blood. Two more were there to attack them.

"I'll stop when you surrender!" Puma exclaims as she leapt forward into action. This time she wasn't going to miss her initial attack, coming high with her impressive agility slashing her claws at the space wolfman. She'd protect these people, people that had so far treated her with nothing but kindness, "So take this!"

• 2 weeks later...

What followed was an explosion of furry, bloody violence, both dealt and absorbed. The wolf Puma slashed howled as fangs and claws tore into his flesh, collapsing in pain as a result of a strike that hobbled his lower limbs. Whatever regenerative powers the beast had, it didn't seem to be kicking in - not versus the might of La Puma Negra anyway! As the scent of lupine blood filled the air, another one slashed at the Patriot, tearing a deep slash in the center of her costume that might have struck her heart if it had gone any deeper! 

Maybe that was why the Patriot went for him, smashing her gleaming black tonfa against the side of his head, then again, then flipping it around to fire a laser blast directly into his face. The wolf went down, blasted against the wall next to the one Puma had crippled, out of the fight.

Meanwhile, one of the wolves had grabbed Daisy by the shoulders and slammed her against the far wall, hard enough that the plaster cracked and a sickening crunch sounded that would certainly have meant death for any normal woman. Daisy was still struggling, though, her face cold and dead except for yellow eyes that stared balefully at her tormentor.

After slashing at one of their wolven foes, Puma was greeted with another attempting to attack her, only for Patriot to come in at the last minute to save the day, taking a slash to her attire but bore no damage. Her own attack had knocked out the wolfman from the moon in an easy fashion, but another was soon on her heels as she had foolishly gotten herself in the middle of such a melee. For a brief few moments, Puma could feel the jaws of one of the attackers latch around her left arm, biting in as she cried out. She had been punched and smacked around a few times against criminals and training partners that managed to get a good hit back at Claremont, but not bitten by some wolfman.

With a hiss, she'd take her claws and scour them across towards the face of this wolfman attacker. The last one of this so-called pack of them that was up here. A fire was building inside of her, adrenaline filled with pain as she wanted nothing more than to end this terrible situation and make these dogs pay for what they did to her and everyone that she had only just recently met.

• 2 weeks later...

A little while later, the trio found themselves in a very similar situation. They were in a room with several beaten, bloody werewolves, each one bound and gagged by dint of the seemingly never-ending series of zip ties and handcuffs that the Patriot kept in her costume. Two of them were getting tired. (Nothing seemed to make Daisy sweat.) But they still had the same problem they'd had before; the hostages were in another room with at least another wolf, and that wolf was increasingly aware that his operation wasn't going very well. 

"Give me what I want or the hostages die!" The wolf leader was calling. "And free my people too!" 

"I think you know what the government will do to monsters if you start murdering its employees!" the Patriot was calling, her voice echoing out the open door and down the hallway to the next room down. She looked back at the group and mouthed 'we can't keep this up forever. ideas?' 

'I could go out there and try something,' murmured Daisy doubtfully, 'but if he goes for me he'll ruin this outfit and I am _already_ covered in werewolf blood." To be fair, they all were. 

Carmen

Grimacing from being bit by the wolf, she'd grab whatever she could to wrap it around where she had been bitten. After that, she helped to gag and bound up the beaten wolfmen from the moon that they had already dealt with before. Carmen was personally unhappy with how things were going, thinking that they wouldn't be trapped in a hostage crisis and instead in a more relaxed setting, one where she could learn more about being a hero. The young woman soon supposed that this was all part of the job, and as pangs of pain went through her, ignoring it for the time being she wanted it to end soon.

"Listen here you mutt. Your gonna take your friends here and go back home. You start harming anyone over there, we'll be harming you. So, pick the smart choice!"

The Patriot muttered something about "the tracks" , then stood up. She reached down and unbuckled her belt, letting it fall to the floor with a heavy thump, leaving her wearing just her bodysuit, boots and gloves, and helmet. "Okay!" she called out. "You've got super-hearing, you heard my weapons fall to the ground just now! I'll give you something better. I'll step out there unarmed, and we'll do a switch! The Patriot is a more valuable hostage than a bunch of clerks and security guards!"

The werewolf demanded Ashley kick her gunbelt out into the hall, which she did. While Daisy daintily licked the werewolf blood off the back of her hand, Ashley leaned down and whispered in Carmen's ear. 

"I know this is hard, but I need you to be in here and make sure the hostages are secure. Once you think they're safe, then you decide if you need to come help me. Can you do that?" she asked the girl seriously.  

Carmen

"Are you... are you sure this is a good idea. What if he doesn't agree to it all, he is just trying to lie to us?" Carmen asks her rightfully worried. To her at least, these people that had attacked were going to try anything to try and get what they wanted if they were to be using human hostages. Things were already rather intense, not the bigger history of the Moon wolfman that seemed to have it out here for the Human race, or at least their current situation up there. It was just one more thing that she was going to have to learn, to get used to not get caught off guard.

She'd whisper back, "Fine... I'll... I'll watch from right here..." she didn't seem that happy but would keep herself calm, recovering from the wound that she received.

"Good luck."

"Good girl," said Ashley. She methodically started taking off her gloves, pulling her hands free, baring skin up to her wrists. "You know," she said softly, "when I was your age, I couldn't even take these off. Just be ready." She winked at Carmen, then walked out into the hallway. 

"I'm out here!" she called, "send out the hostages!" And sure enough they came, looking battered and frightened but on their feet; the security guards, the civilian staff, everyone Carmen had met earlier that night in what felt like a lifetime ago. With her hands raised, Ashley walked down the hallway past the hostages, making eye contact with their captor. It was easy to tell this was the alpha wolf; a big, muscular beast that towered almost as high as the door frame. 

He was halfway out in the hall, the last of the hostages just leaving his reach in the second the Patriot approached it... 

The young woman seemed to brighten up after the comment. It wasn't much but it sure boosted her morale and confidence that the two of them could handle this. Puma would watch as she took off her gloves, wondering what exactly she had meant by that later comment before watching Patriot leave her behind. It was on her now to make sure that all these hostages were cared for sufficiently, and while she didn't really have any professional medical training, she could at the least try to appear friendly and helpful. As well, help out in ways that she could while protecting them. After all, they were just held hostage by moon werewolves, only to now be helped by some strange cat girl, it would be a shock for those that hadn't met her yet.

"Daisy, do we have any medical supplies, water, for those that are hurt or need something to drink?" she'd ask politely. If there was someone that would know as the battered and sacred hostages came hurriedly to them, it would be Daisy, someone that worked here. She just hoped that her mentor knew what she was doing.

Daisy looked startled for a moment, her face lighting up with a surge of barely suppressed emotion. "That would be the heroic thing to do, wouldn't it?" She went to work helping her fellow hostages, all of whom were in some stage of injury and most of whom seemed pleasantly surprised to see her uninjured. The wolves that had dragged her away had seemed intent on doing something terrible. 

Outside, there was the sound of raw, unfiltered violence from the office as the Patriot went to work on her target. Carmen couldn't see what was happening through a closed door, but she could hear the sounds of bones cracking and animalistic screaming. Daisy, it seemed, could hear them too, but was quick to reassure Carmen. "This kind of thing happens a lot around here," she said in a whisper, "We'll know if she's not - oh there she is." 

Sure enough, after a loud, heavy thump, the Patriot, battered and bloody, had staggered out of the room where she'd beaten the last werewolf and hobbled her way into the room holding the freed hostages. "God_damit_," she opined before sliding to the floor. 

Later 

The hostages had been taken to the hospital, the uniformed AEGIS agents had arrived and brought Carmen some hot soup and a blanket, and Daisy Gibbons had notably made herself very scarce. It had been a very, very long evening. 

The Patriot had only reluctantly let herself be tended by the AEGIS medics, keeping her helmet and battered uniform on throughout. By the time she found Carmen again, she was on the phone. 

"Yeah, yeah," she said, sounding more like an angsty teenager herself than her professional voice. "This is for _you_," she said, handing the phone off to Carmen. It turned out to be the headmaster of her school. 

"Carmen," said Ms. Summers in a cool, professional educator's voice. "The Patriot tells me you had quite a night. Do you want us to send someone to pick you up?"