La Puma Negra

THE HELLQ

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

I'm a monster, an animal 

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Freak, but I like calling myself Puma. Puma Negra.

What is your full birth name?

Carmen Alvarez Arrache. It was on a note they found when I was born.

Where do you live?

Claremont University

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

Sixteen. I was born Jun 18th, 2021

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

The nuns used to call me a young woman. Don't feel like it at times.

How would you describe your heritage?

I grew up in Puerto Rico so I am Puerto Rican. The census says I am Hispanic.

How tall are you?

5'8" and still growing, I think.

What is your body type?

I try to keep myself fit, to eat right. Be like the magazines. An hourglass but I feel more like a rectangle at times.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

I can't stand sharp sounds. Some smells too are just awful, even if they are across campus.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

I feel heavy, like I'm constantly holding back my own strength, makes me feel stupid. I've been practicing walking more feminine I guess, like some of the other girls, but I feel at times I have all the grace of a rock.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

Before the fur, I used to have nice tan skin and bright greens eyes. Ever since my change it's been covered up, eyes turned yellow, but I still see the green from time to time.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

I guess I have a facial hair... sort of. I usually don't do much with my hair.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

No and I woudn't care if other's didn't either.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

Nothing I can recall

Do you resemble anyone famous?

None that I know. Folk I've heard say I kind of look like some hero named El Cato, whoever she is.

Do you have a dominant hand?

Right-handed

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Typically, the school clothing they supply, but I kind like loose clothing. Too much can make things get stuffy.

Do you wear makeup?

Yes, though a little hard with the fur.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

A bit growly at times.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

I've taken the other mattress in the room to make my own taller. Feel a lot more comfortable when I am up above. I've also taken to preferring to eat a lot more meat.

History

Where do you come from?

Aquadilla in Puerto Rico

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

The trip to Freedom City. I had never left the island before then, and barely out of Aquadilla.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

I am ambivalent.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

I want to go home but I never had a home to begin with. I still miss it there, but it is for the better.

Where is your hometown? What was/is it like?

Puerto Rico. Aquadilla was nice, warm and sunny, tropical place.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

Plenty of different kids grew up, all different. I was just more different than others. I wish I wasn't.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

Climbing, always loved it, climbing the trees around the orphanage and town. Really, I'm not good talking to people and with how I am I feel like I never can.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

I hurt a girl when I was first able to draw my claws. I never meant it but... I've never felt right afterwards.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

When I was 8, we traveled all the way to San Jaun and visited the old quarter. It was so nice, the church we were being hosted by was so nice. There were so many families there, I wanted to know why I couldn't have that.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

I used to pull pranks on some of the sisters at the orphanage all the time. The typical chalk above the door, though one time we used a bucket of shrimp from the kitchen and dropped it all on a pastor visiting from San German.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

School was administered at St. Philomena, though I was sent to a Middle School when I got older. I never enjoyed it, but I guess Claremont has been better.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

There is a rosary one of the sisters gave me before I left, I guess to always think of them, and to keep Christ in my heart. I don't wear it all the time, but I do keep it at my desk.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

Being a hero means in some way I can pay back for some of my sins. I can make something of myself and have purpose for who I am.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

I try not to tell people. It makes feel, well, too open.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

I guess hurting that girl. I just wanted the candy, all I wanted. 

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

All the time. I think the school class counselor has helped me a little bit get past things, but I still feel like an oddity.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

I don't know and I don't think I would know what to do. They can do whatever they want with that information, it isn't going to change anything.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

Spotless and clean here in the States.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

I don't know. The church gave it to me my surname.

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

I was raised in the St. Philomena Orphanage, a nice place in a beautiful island. The sisters and pastors raised a bunch of kids like me. Revolving faces but a few usuals that were always there for us.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

Nameless faces no one knew about.

Where are your parents now?

Who cares? If they wanted anything to do with me, they'd be with me now.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

The orphanage was my family, changing faces, only a few constants.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

The nuns were nice folk, they only ever wanted what was best for me, even when I became what I am now.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

I don't care at all what they think. They aren't here now or ever for me. For all I know I am 

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

I had a lot of siblings at the orphanage, plenty there. Some I liked, some I didn't. When I was really young you tended to not have too much a memory to 

What was your birth order in the family?

Me, myself, and I.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

All around I hope, they deserve a future and a good to go to.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

I send a letter every month.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

Equally in every way.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Father Gonzalez helped me lot get through what I was becoming.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

Well, I guess I am, considering what I look like and all.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

Someone did something, and when I do find out I'll have some questions for them.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

No

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

If they turn out like me I don't think I would.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

I guess someone that wouldn't be scared of me.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

I don't really have anyone close to me. I try to keep to myself and don't really like anyone in my business to much

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

Now I used to have a stuffed bear when I was really young, but I wouldn't call it a real friend

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

I don't think I know, and it somewhat scares me.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

Maybe one day, I hope not though.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

There was a girl that'd pick on me when i was really young, but she got adopted a few months later.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

Hurt me. I ain't got no one but myself, so if they want to, they got to get go for me.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Some kid stealing the art I drew of one 

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

To God and myself.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

I guess the folk at Claremont and everyone at the Orphanage at home. I have my faith as well.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

I hate the water.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

People that know to keep their nose out of other people's business.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Nosey people that don't know when to leave things alone.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

La Puma Negra is what I go by with my heroics if you call it that, but if they know that my name is Carmen is doesn't bug me. hard to hide who I am anyway.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

If I was on one, I think I'd be fine.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

Plenty of teams at Claremont, I just haven't joined any that's all.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

I am Catholic, that's that. I do play some basketball at school when I have time. I don't get into politics.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

We were taught of Philomena and her devotion, but I always liked St. Goretti. I also heard of El Gato. A lot of people say I look like her, I wish I could have met her, to talk to her. Maybe we could have found some shared experience.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

I don't think I have yet

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

I think I do. It makes me feel good in making a difference, paying back what I am. To do some sort of good I guess serves God, at least, as the nuns would say.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

I don't want to think that but if anything, if it meant finding out more of what I am I would do anything for it.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Pass, my grades aren't the best right now.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

After school I think I should try and see the world, explore who I am and what's out there.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

I hate swimming. Maybe it because of all this cat stuff but I just hate it. I feel soo small in it that I can just freeze up when I'm swimming. 

Is there anything you would give your life for?

I would give my life to protect a young life.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it mark of success, or a means to an end?

I don't have it, I want it, and I sure wish I could spend more of it.

How do you generally treat others?

None of your concern, I treat them fine.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

I trust those that deserve to be trusted.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

Counselor says I tend introverted, I'm just me.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

I tend to be aggressive and screw up, find myself not knowing what to say at all.

What are your most annoying habits?

A roommate or two don't like all the scratch marks I tend to leave, can't help it.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

I have no contempt for those that I have the ability to fend for themselves but can not

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

Jibarito. Very few in the area make a good one or at all.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

Coke.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Flan

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Peas

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

Orange

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

I don't listen to much, usually the top 40 or whatever.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

Oranges

Do you have a favorite animal?

A cat, would you believe it.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

My rosary. Let's me know where I come from.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I never really got to go camping but it feels nice to be outside, letting that warm sand go over you, blissfully.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

I couldn't hurt a kid. It isn't right, not right to hurt those that can't fend for themselves.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life? How important is it to you?

My faith in God has kept me to keep going to pay back the sins I may have to do right by others.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

It's rather obvious that I grew up in a relgious institution.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

I try attend on Sunday, but that is at most that I can do. I'm still learning about it, so nothing sits just right.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

I don't wish I have to

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

I haven't killed.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

There is no good circumstance for killing people, not matter how bad.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

I don't think I'd be able to stomach it.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

I've already been told I have a temper; you don't want that.

How would you react to public humiliation?

They dare and they are dead.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

If purposely, I'd do whatever it takes to bring them justice. Accidental, well, things happen. It's unfortunate but the lord works in mysterious ways is what the nuns told me.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

To lie to someone. 

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

Eat all the cakes and ice cream I can find, ride all the rides at the amusement part, drink whatever I want, say whatever I want, and to eat all the steak for dinner before I go.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

I've started at Claremont and they've been helping me take control of my abilities to use them proper.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

A bunch of teachers at the school, a group effort.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

I can balance so damn well that it just comes second nature to me.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I get a stipend from the school. Not much I can dowith how I look.

What is your preferred combat style?

Tiger style... just kidding, though I do like to use my claws when I get to let loose.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Most improved, grades are still meh.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

I want to get stronger and faster, give the bad guys a taste of my claws.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

Ain't my problem, I'll get better eventually.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

School, lounging, eating, ain't much to do usually.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

I like to draw, though I don't think I am that good at it. Been drawing since I was a child.

What do you do for fun?

Sleep, draw, climb trees around campus.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

I just wear the school uniform for now, but I got a cool costume planned out eventually. Just need materials that don't make me overheat too much with my fur and all. 

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

Either the school uniform, that older one they got with the skirt or just plain T-shirt and jeans.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

Underwear, I guess. I've got a small gown too for the evening.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

No jewelry, though the rosary on nice days and Sunday.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

I have some stuff saved for a rainy day, but I don't tell, never know who is watching or listening in

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

I just take the bus they got for weekend outings, though not often.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

No, I don't have much anyway. 

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

Maybe all feline stuff that is in me, maybe.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

I tried; I really did.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

I hope not. Idiots can form a mob pretty quick.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My agility and dexterity.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

My people skills or very much lacking.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

You have to see what you have not as a curse but a gift, a gift that you can use to help other people beyond what many can not.

Edited by MoonSimply
Done

20 Questions.

1. Where is your hero from?

Aquadilla, Puerto Rico

2. How would your hero physically describe him/herself? Is this different from how others would?

A black-haired cat monster ready to scratch your eyes out

3. Does your hero have distinguishing speech characteristics or recurring mannerisms?

Hispanic accent gives off cat like mannerism in speech patterns and tone.

4. What is your hero's motivation?

To find more about herself and take control of her powers.

5. What are your hero's greatest strengths and weaknesses?

Her own ability and will is her strength. Her people skills and self-dislike are her weakness.

6. What does your hero love? What does your hero hate?

Sweets, as well she loves meat. She doesn't like nosey people.

7. How would you describe your character's mental and emotional state?

Tired and angry.

8. What does your hero fear the most?

Losing control to whatever part of her is the feline one.

9. What is your character's greatest ambition?

To find some sort of peace and reconciliation with herself.

10. How does your hero feel about the state of the world and his/her place in it?

She is more interested in herself than the world around her, but she does want to help others.

11. Does your hero have any prejudices? How does he/she get along with others?

She is quick to not like someone, even for minor annoyances.

12. Where do your heroes loyalties lie? In what order?

Her faith and herself.

13. Does your hero have a lover or partner? How do they feel about the hero now?

She has currently no ties to others.

14. Does your hero have a family? What is the relationship there like?

No family, orphan.

15. How would the people closest to your hero describe him or her?

Somewhat mean and rough. Not always the nicest but can mean well.

16. Is your hero a role model?

No really

17. How spiritual is your hero? Does your hero follow a religious tradition?

Yes, she is canonically Catholic

18. Is your hero part of a team, or would he/she like to be? Why?

She'd likely be in one of the Claremont teams as a rotating member

19. How does your hero feel about the place of metahumans and aliens on Earth?

She doesn't really care.

20. If you could give one piece of advice to your hero, what would it be?

Get over yourself, things could be far worse. Use what you have not as a crutch but as a strength.