Placement Tests -- Quark (OOC)

MBCE

I never mentioned the Morphic Device or even alluded to it. It's cool though. I plan to turn this into a running gag. Even though he's told very few people about it (he's never mentioned in character except when people have talked about it first), it seems that everyone knows about it :P

If he hits one and it successfully mimics the target, does he get powers or is it just target practice? Also with the limited charges, when he runs out, he has to spend an hour recharging it. Finally the suit is in his lab, would it look bad if he left the testing area to put it on?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never mentioned the Morphic Device or even alluded to it. It's cool though. I plan to turn this into a running gag. Even though he's told very few people about it (he's never mentioned in character except when people have talked about it first), it seems that everyone knows about it :P

If he hits one and it successfully mimics the target, does he get powers or is it just target practice? Also with the limited charges, when he runs out, he has to spend an hour recharging it. Finally the suit is in his lab, would it look bad if he left the testing area to put it on?

As it doesn't matter about the powers unless you want it to, you can write it up either way. As for where the device is, just way that he had it with him. He knew before coming that they would test his devices as well, so he brought it along with him. No need to waste time with a "going home post". :)

OK, problem. Each roll will have to take part separately to see if they hit and then they get a toughness save. Each part is going to take 6 rolls at the least, 10 rolls if gets hairy. In a row. The rules for Invisible Castle say "No Spamming". Suggestions?

Spamming would be useless rolls. What you should do is roll like this.

Target A 1

1 roll

1d20+6;1d20

If you hit on the first roll, you're done and can roll for Target B. If you miss, then you repeat for Target A.

Now, if you don'T want to do all of those indiviual rolls, do it this way:

Target A part 1

3 rolls

1d20+6;1d20

This will give you all three attempts at once for part 1. You'll go in order down the list so if you hit, you'll know how many times you it took to succeed. Once you use up your 5 charages, break the action and let Stephanie know you've run out of charges.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. You only get 3 attempts to hit a target. Not 3 attempts to hit and 3 attempts to mimic. The test does not work that way. Whether you mimic or not does not matter for this particular test. 3 rolls only please. So he hits Target A on the first roll, but fail to mimic his powers.

1d20+6=24 (hit)

1d20=18 (target saves)

He now moves on to Target B which has a Toughness of +5. The below rolls are all not used.

1d20+6=23 (hit)

1d20=17 (target saves)

1d20+6=24 (hit)

1d20=18 (target saves)

1d20+6=22 (hit)

1d20=7 (target doesn't save)

1d20+6=12 (needless roll)

1d20=20 (needless roll)

To pass this, he has to successfully mimic, right? Also, what are the targets? robots? People? Little cardboard cutouts?

No, he has to hit the targets. There is no success or failure in these tests. They are simply a way to see what needs to be improved on his abilities.

The targets can be whatever you want them to be. That's up to you.

I see.

Target B, Part 1

1d20+6=26 (crit!)

1d20+5=22 (still saved :()

1d20+6=17 (needless roll)

1d20+5=19 (needless roll)

1d20+6=9 (needless roll)

1d20+5=15 (needless roll)

Target C, Part 1

1d20+6=23 (hit)

1d20+10=23 (saved)

1d20+6=23 (needless roll)

1d20+10=25 (needless roll)

1d20+6=16 (needless roll)

1d20+10=18 (needless roll)

So, at the end of part 1 I have 2 charges left. Please correct me if I did anything wrong before I post :P

Are you going to continue to the second part? So far you've only done the first part of the stage. I asked for you to put in your post when you ran out of charges so there's no need to break now. He doesn'T get a refresher until the end of the stage.

Okay, looking at your sheet, I'm having a hard time finding things to test you on.

Stage one took care of the skills.

Stage two took care of the Mimic attack feature of the suit.

We have three more stages to do and right now I see, the elemental conductors as one stage, but then there's still going to be two more stages left open. Is there anything you want to show off here?

AS Darian really isn't a combat type character and this is not a combat school, combat doesn'T really fit in. I think defense will come into play for another stage but we'll still need one more task to complete.

Test his saves? Have a combined Defense & Reflex save thing for a "dodgeball in a trap-filled room" thing? Test his Will save (or Concentration skill) by submitting him to assorted mental effects?

Or put him in a Turing Test. I.e., have him talk to someone he cannot see, and determine whether or not the other individual is a real person or an advanced robot. Thing is, the test is really testing Quark's own social skills (Bluff, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive; maybe Intimidate). Though that'd probably overlap with the Podium Challenge.

STAGE THREE

This stage will test the strength of Quark's Elemental gloves. Roll your power Rank vs the DCs set. YOu get 3 attempts per part as usual. YOu may use Extra effort or a HP at any time. Remember, the HP would no longer be used for the thread. Extra effort would be cured between the stages, but not the parts.

Part 1 -- Average DC 10

Part 2 -- Tough DC 15

Part 3 -- Challenging DC 20

Part 4 -- Formidable DC 25 (requires Percise feat as well.)

Alright, for sake of not spamming Invisible Castle I did it all in one. Questions: Is it just moving around boxes? What is the Precise for in the last round?

They can be anything you want it to be. The premise is that it some kind of obstacle course that he has to move the objects through. The precise feat is needed to complete the last part of the stage. This means that it would need a lot more control than moving through the other parts.

Write it up any way you like.

STAGE FOUR

This stage will test Darian's resistances. Again, you have 3 chances to beat the DCs set. You may use extra effort or spend an HP at any time. Each part consists of four areas that test the four saves, Fort, Ref, Will, and Toughness. Make your rolls against the listed DCs.

Part 1 -- Average difficulty [F,R,W DC 10, Toughness DC 15]

Part 2 -- Tough difficulty [F,R,W DC 15, Toughness DC 20]

Part 3 -- Challenging difficulty [F,R,W DC 20, Toughness DC 25]

Part 4 -- Formidable difficulty [F,R,W DC 25, Toughness DC 30]

So this means you roll for F. Then you roll for R. Then W. And Toughness. a total of 12 rolls (3per/save) per part.