Placement Tests -- Quark (OOC)

MBCE

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say 1 HP and a Craft check, just like any use of Jury Rigging. Or a Know/Tech check and a Craft check, if going by the slower Invention method.

Strictly by the book, having Invented something previously (either via slow Invention or faster Jury Rigging) gives no bonus in re-inventing the same invention at a later date. Kenson weighs in here -- if the GM sees fit he can give a DC modifier, but the default assumption is that conditions change sufficiently from use to use that any benefit is negated. (I could swear I saw another thread where Kenson said having previously invented something could give a +2 modifier on all future Craft & Knowledge checks to re-invent the exact same thing, but I cannot find that post.)

I have a question before I answerthe inventions question. Would it take 1 HP to bring back my Elemental Reactor Gloves or would I have to redo them with 2 HP?

As the Doc has pointed out, it would cost 1 HP and the craft check. But then you would be without your HP unless you have the luck feat. Remember, these tests will be pretty much written by you. I'll just give you the guidelines to work with.

The book says that:

Once the invention is complete, it is good for use in one encounter, after

which it breaks down or runs out of power. If the character wishes to use

the invention again, there are two options. The first is to spend the necessary

power points to acquire the Device power and make the invention

a part of the character’s regular traits; in this case, the new device can

be used like any other. The other option is to spend a hero point to get

another one-encounter use out of the invention. Each use costs an additional

hero point, but doesn’t require any further skill checks.

The key there is the next-to-last sentence: "The other option is to spend a hero point to get another one-encounter use out of the invention." Pg. 13 says an encounter is "a portion of an adventure, like a chapter of a story." But this is a different adventure, a different story from the one in which he first made those gloves. Hero Points earned during an adventure don't carry over to other adventures, and neither do inventions.

Besides, since this is a test of his abilities, he really should be testing them, by making skill checks ;)

STAGE ONE

This stage will test Quark's skills. You can use any skill that will fit in the section. Some of the locations have been specificically chosen for skills that you have no ranks in. :)

You have three chances to succeed.

Mechanical area Heroic level DC 33 [Craft skills, computer, disable device]

Gym area Challenging level DC 20 [Acrobatics, swim, etc.]

Classroom area Heroic level DC 33 [Knowledge]

Podium area Challenging level DC 20 [Diplomacy, Perform, etc.]

So do I roll and I say what happens or do I roll and you say wht happens or do I roll and we move on to the next part?

You roll and say what happen. You have three attempts per part. Once your post is up, I'll give you a filler post before giving you the next task. For an example of how to do the placement tests, take a look at this thread.

I thought it was more like pick one and make three rolls then describe it. So the Podium is for Perform, Diplomacy, and... what would Etc mean?

You are correct. Each section gets three possible rolls to make the Dc. So the podium task is complete but you were unable to pass the DC 20 which was called for. You write up the results of the attempts.

Now you have to do the Mechanical, Gym, and Classroom sections of Stage One.

To be clearer, each stage is made of four parts. Each part must be attempted and you get 3 chances to beat the DCs of each part.So if on the first roll, you beat the DC, you don't have to do the remaining 2 attempts.

I hope that makes things more easier to understand.

So, now the gym challenge. besides swimming (which he can't do :P), climbing, and acrobatics (which he is not trained in), what else is in there?

Any skill that would challenge his strength or dex ability would work. You can play it out any way you wish.

Craft checks (1d20+22=38, 1d20+22=40, 1d20+22=36)

With DC 33 it is either going to take him 60+ hours to build something from the ground up, or if it's just to fix something, 10+hours. How are we feasibly going to do this :P

Any way you'd like. Ig you want to waste all that time, then go for it. Normally, it would simply be a question answer session onyour knowledge of crafting. But if you want to show off building something knock yourself out.

STAGE TWO

This stage will test the mimicing capabilites of his Morphic device. He must hit a target first and then roll the person's toughness save. As I uderstand the way you wrote up the power, he gets 5 trys without using extra effort. I would think that would include the attack roll. as well so if you miss, that's a charge wasted. Correct me if my understanding is incorrect before you proceed with the stage.

You have four parts to this. Roll to see if you hit the various Def scores. If you hit, you then roll the Toughness save to mimic their powers. Each target, you get 3 attempts to hit. If you hit but fail the toughness save, that target is completed and you move on to the next target in the part.

So, for example:

Target A has a Def of 10, Toughness of +0. You roll your d20+6 attack and get 11. You roll 1d20 and compare it to your mimic DC of 16. The roll is less than your 16, you've succeed. Move on to Target B regardless of toughness result.

Target B has Def of 10, Toughness of +5. You roll your attack and get a 8. You can then roll again, getting a 9. You get one last attempt which you fail to hit. Target B is complete. You move to Target C.

Repeat for target C. Move to Part 2 which has a higher Def for each target.

Part 1 -- Def 10 Target A (Toughness +0), B (Toughness +5), C (Toughness +10)

Part 2 -- Def 15 Target A (Toughness +0), B (Toughness +5), C (Toughness +10)

Part 3 -- Def 20 Target A (Toughness +0), B (Toughness +5), C (Toughness +10)

Part 4 -- Def 25 Target A (Toughness +0), B (Toughness +5), C (Toughness +10)