Trade-Offs: None

Unspent PP: 0

Characters Name: Electroclash

Alternate Identity: Andrew Tennant

Height: 5' 9"

Weight: 140 lb

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Green

Description: A young man with chestnut brown hair and green eyes, he looks like your average joe, if a little on the nerdy side - he tends towards button-down shirts, sweaters and sneakers when not "in the field". When action is required he instead dons his jumpsuit and more closely resembles an engineer or mechanic. He often seems shy and sensitive until he's required to deal with any sort of technology. When his expertise is called to the fore, he becomes that more enthusiastic and excited, almost overeager.

History: Growing up alongside his sister Jessica, he felt a little overshadowed. He had no shining talents, but constantly tried to emulate his big sister in everything she did, usually without the talent to back it up. He generally performed adequately enough in life to just get by, perhaps constantly distracted by daydreams of joining his sister on her latest "adventure". The longing to be just like her only intensified when, around his 11th birthday, Jessica became Cy-bit the powerful cyberpath. Looking back he would never refer to what he felt as jealousy - he loved Jessica more than anyone else in the world - but his desire to be like her became all-consuming.

He still doesn't know whether it was a meta-gene he shared with his sister, blind luck, cosmic radiation or some mystic force granting a wish, but a handful of years later Andrew's intellect exploded, along with an almost savant-like talent with machinery and the abilities to repair or deactivate devices with a touch. Finally on a more equal footing with Jessica, he eagerly accompanied her on a crusade to bring justice to Freedom City.

Personality & Motivation: Andrew is a gentle and benevolent soul, quite happy tinkering with his latest creations. He's no fool though - people who believe everything will be all right as long as they don't interfere tend to live miserable and short lives. One of his pet hatreds is people that would pervert technology for sinister purpose, but Jessica has brought him more to her way of thinking.

He's immensely proud of both his sister and her accomplishments, and his own. His best creation to date, his Omni-Glasses, are a nifty lab tool and also help him with "fieldwork", as he calls it. Always on the lookout for cool tech, he can't help but marvel at the elegant design of a villain's death ray or weather machine while at the same time defeating its owner.

Complications:

Addiction: Electroclash is a habitual smoker. He knows it sets a bad example for others, it costs him money and it distracts him, but damn it, he just loves smoking too much.

Phobia: Due to a childhood trauma, Andrew is deathly afraid of heights.

Stats: 26pp

Str: 10 (+0)

Dex: 12 (+1)

Con: 10 (+0)

Int: 32 (+11)

Wis: 12 (+1)

Cha: 10 (+0)

Combat: 26pp

Attack: +5

Grapple: +4

Defense: +8 (+4 flat-footed)

Knockback: -0

Initiative: +1

Saves: 7pp

Toughness: +3 (+0 Con, +3 armored jumpsuit (see equipment)

Fortitude: +0 (+0 Con, +0)

Reflex: +5 (+1 Dex, +4)

Will: +4 (+1 Wis, +3)

Skills: 76r = 19pp

Bluff 2 (+2), Computers 15 (+26), Craft: Electronic 15 (+26), Craft: Mechanical 15 (+26), Disable Device 15 (+26), Drive 2 (+3), Knowledge: Technology 4 (+15), Knowledge: Popular Culture 8 (+19)

Feats: 8pp

Beginner's Luck, Luck 1, Equipment 6

Powers: 64pp

Nullify 10 (DC 20, Counters: All Powers of (Type) (2/r) - Machines, Flaws: Range 1 (touch)) 11pp

AP: Healing 9 (DC 19, Power Feats: Persistent, Extras: Restoration (Only), Affects Objects (Only), Flaws: Limited 1 (Machines))

Enhanced Feats 3 (Improvised Tools, Inventor, Skill Mastery - Computers, Disable Device, Craft [electronic], Craft [mechanical] 1) 3pp

Machine Animation 10 (Progression 2 (5 machines)) 22pp

Datalink 8 (Sense Type: Radio) 8pp

Quickness 10 (Perform routine tasks at 2500x speed; Flaws: One Type (Mental)) 5pp

Immunity 1 (Cy-bit's powers) 1pp

Device 4: Omni-Glasses (Easy to Lose, Restricted 2) 14pp

Omni-Glasses: Super-Senses 11 (Analytical (Type): Visual, Darkvision, Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Microscopic Vision 2 (cell-size), Time Sense, Infravision, Uncanny Dodge: Visual), Sensory Shield 5 (+10 to saves vs. Dazzle attacks; Sense: One Sense (1/r) - Visual), Comprehend 2 (Codes & Ciphers, Languages - Read All)

Drawbacks: 0pp

Equipment: Cell Phone; Computer, Desktop; Computer, Laptop; Armored Jumpsuit (Toughness +3); Blaster Pistol (Blast 5); Taser (Stun 5); Commlink; Multi-Tool (30ep)

DC Block:

ATTACKS: SAVE DC: DAMAGE TYPE:

Unarmed Attack, +5 (DC 15) Bruise

Nullify 10, +5 (DC Will 20) Other

Blaster Pistol, +5 (DC 20) Energy

Taser, +5 (DC Fort 15) Electricity

Costs: Abilities (26) + Combat (26) + Saves (7) + Skills (19) + Feats (8) + Powers (64) - Drawbacks (0) = Total Cost 150pp

Who's older, Andrew or Jessica?

Your saves are very off.

Skills look okay, but I would like to see them alphabetized. And something in his background indicating where he picked up Profession (waiter) ;)

Powers, there's a few problems.

His Healing would require the Affects Objects extra.

For "Machine Animation," be aware that, since it's basically Summon, you'll be limited to summoning/animating machines with an effective PL of 1/2 your own PL (PL 5, in this case).

Also, Machine Animation, like Summon, cannot be an AP of anything (except another Summon).

The Medium Flaw is already a part of Sensory Link, so you can't have that extra again. And item can't make Will saves, so Sensory Link isn't really valid. What would seem to fit what you're going for is this: ESP (visual & auditory; Flaw: Medium/cameras and listening devices). Cost works out the same as what you've got now, once you add in the Action extra.

You can't have Sensory Shield 10, because it's a bonus to the saves of various Sensory effects, and saves are capped at (PL + 5).

Who's older, Andrew or Jessica?

Jessica, as mentioned in the back story.

Your saves are very off.

Bumped them up a little now. Unless they're "off" in a different way.

Skills look okay, but I would like to see them alphabetized. And something in his background indicating where he picked up Profession (waiter) ;)

Not a problem. I've knocked out the Profession as it wasn't really adding a great deal to the character and I needed another PP elsewhere.

Powers, there's a few problems.

His Healing would require the Affects Objects extra.

For "Machine Animation," be aware that, since it's basically Summon, you'll be limited to summoning/animating machines with an effective PL of 1/2 your own PL (PL 5, in this case).

Also, Machine Animation, like Summon, cannot be an AP of anything (except another Summon).

The Medium Flaw is already a part of Sensory Link, so you can't have that extra again. And item can't make Will saves, so Sensory Link isn't really valid. What would seem to fit what you're going for is this: ESP (visual & auditory; Flaw: Medium/cameras and listening devices). Cost works out the same as what you've got now, once you add in the Action extra.

You can't have Sensory Shield 10, because it's a bonus to the saves of various Sensory effects, and saves are capped at (PL + 5).

Changed the Healing, (since I can't really justify "Affects Machines (Only)" in combination with "Limited (Others)") and "un-APed" the Datalink and Quickness. Dropped the Sensory Link entirely to free up some PP. Sensory Shield reduced to 5. Took some of the feats out of the Omni-Glasses too, to make them cheaper.

Bumped them [saves] up a little now. Unless they're "off" in a different way.

I do, and they are: they're "off" in that they don't add up. (The listed attribute modifiers and points per save are incorrect. His Dex and Wis modifiers are +1, not +3, for example.)

Changed the Healing, (since I can't really justify "Affects Machines (Only)" in combination with "Limited (Others)") and "un-APed" the Datalink and Quickness. Dropped the Sensory Link entirely to free up some PP. Sensory Shield reduced to 5. Took some of the feats out of the Omni-Glasses too, to make them cheaper.

Sensory Shield would still be too high if his Ref save is kept at +7. One will need to be lowered.

Also, while Andrew may not know where his powers come from, do you the player know? Folks running adventures would need to know what sort of things can affect his powers.

I do, and they are: they're "off" in that they don't add up. (The listed attribute modifiers and points per save are incorrect. His Dex and Wis modifiers are +1, not +3, for example.)

Doh! Corrected now.

Sensory Shield would still be too high if his Ref save is kept at +7. One will need to be lowered.

Dropped the Ref save to 5, upped the Attack bonus with the points.

Also, while Andrew may not know where his powers come from, do you the player know? Folks running adventures would need to know what sort of things can affect his powers.

I figure it's a meta-gene, most likely the same one that gave Jessica her powers.

Alright, write in the 4 and 3 in his Saves and his stats will be set.

I do want to offer some caution, though: in terms of attack/damage, he's only PL 5 (with blaster or taser), PL 8 with his touch-range Nullify. And in terms of defnes/toughness, he's only PL 6. Which fits given that he seems designed to not be a front-line fighter. But with the house rules on Summon (and Machine Animation) limiting your animated/summoned machines to be PL 5 or less, there's only so much they'll be able to do.

Well, I did the best I could while trying to remain faithful to his concept. But yeah, I'm painfully aware he sucks in combat. :(

Unless you can suggest a re-jig of the points, I guess I'll just have to wait until I have the PP to buy a cool Device that lets me even the score.

I'm not getting the points to add up on the powers. First, Machine Animation would cost 33 pp if it had the Continuous extra and Progression 3. It's costed like it's without the extra and Progression 2. Second, assuming that you don't take Continuous, I'm still counting 66 pp of powers. Third, Restoration is not an appropriate flaw for Healing. That's a flaw for Boost, which makes it so that Boost only counters Drains.

I'll suggest that an easier way to deal with the Sensory Shield is to change it into Immunity 5 (dazzle [vision] effects). That way, the save caps don't matter.

I'm not getting the points to add up on the powers. First, Machine Animation would cost 33 pp if it had the Continuous extra and Progression 3. It's costed like it's without the extra and Progression 2. Second, assuming that you don't take Continuous, I'm still counting 66 pp of powers. Third, Restoration is not an appropriate flaw for Healing. That's a flaw for Boost, which makes it so that Boost only counters Drains.

I'll suggest that an easier way to deal with the Sensory Shield is to change it into Immunity 5 (dazzle [vision] effects). That way, the save caps don't matter.

Ah, must have not corrected the description of the power. I took out the Continuous extra and dropped the Progression down to 2, which makes it 22 pp.

Is the thing about Restoration and Healing a house-rule? I took it from Ultimate Power.

I'll leave the Sensory Shield how it is for now, I think.

Ah, must have not corrected the description of the power. I took out the Continuous extra and dropped the Progression down to 2, which makes it 22 pp.

Is the thing about Restoration and Healing a house-rule? I took it from Ultimate Power.

I'll leave the Sensory Shield how it is for now, I think.

I think I see the confusion here. I believe Herid see "Restoration" as being the Flaw for Boost (which means you can't use Boost to actually amp someone past their normal values, just boost any drained stats up to their normal levels).

The Restoration extra on Healing lets you "restore power points lost to traits from effects like Drain with the appropriate descriptors, such as injury, disease, or poison. You restore 1 power point per Healing rank to the affected trait(s)." If your Healing can ]only be used to restore drained traits (and not to heal damage conditions), it's a +0 modifier.

Electrolash cannot "heal" broken machines, but he can "repower" machines that have had their energy drained.

Ah, ok. Yes, I was mistaken. I remembered the Restoration flaw off-hand and didn't look in UP for another entry under Healing.

You would be able to restore Drain Toughness with the Restoration extra. The only thing that needed fixing was the attack in your block (+5), and I took care of that. You have your second approval.

• 1 month later...