Fall 2021 

It was a nice fall day, cool and crisp, the sort of day where you can still go outside but you should wear sweaters to do it. Leon and Luke had taken their lunch period outside under the fiercely blue sky of a cool autumn day when suddenly a large black raven descended from the sky and landed between them. 

"Fellows!" it declared in what was clearly Owain's voice, booming out as clearly as if he was with them in human flesh. "Have you see my friend Neko?" (There had been no sign of Claremont's cat girl that morning, not that the boys had spotted anyway.)

As most days at lunch, Luke was devouring his meal with glee and had used his best puppy dogs eyes to get a little bit of extra to fill up his plate not long before. After all, while in truth his parents had always done their best to keep him and his little 'bro from going hungry despite their chronic lack of money, even after a year, he had yet to get fully accustomed to the abundance of stuff they could get at the school cafeteria and definitely indulged whenever he had the chance. Plus, he did train a lot and kinda had a dragon appetite anyway...

The weather was nice that day and although perhaps a sweater would have been needed, Luke was wearing just a red sleeveless t-shirt, jeans and sneakers, seemingly minding little of the cold. Although he was actually feeling it deep inside his pride prevented him from showing it.

".... and so Muirne invited me to see her guardians in a couple of days..." He had shared with his roomie between bites, with at least a vague hint of dread in his voice. Now, getting to know the people that acted pretty much as his girl's parents was perhaps a good sign, but then again, as a teenage boy, Luke would have to admit that he was at least a tiny bit nervous. "...in London and-

His eyes drifted toward the raven that had just joined them at the table. Now, perhaps a year ago he would have been surprised if a Raven began to talk to him, but now, well... he had seen much weirder stuff in the past.

"Sup man?" He saluted Owain. 

"And nope..." He shook his head. "Haven't seen her anywhere. Need some help?" He tossed. 

Edited by Nerdzul

It was a crisp Fall afternoon as Leon sat with Luke, eating lunch. His grey hoodie was enough to stave off what little chill there was and let him enjoy the clear sky. He tilted his head in amusement while chewing as Luke mentioned meeting Muirne's guardians. The bit about going to London to meet them hadn't registered as Leon was already about to rib his roomie about 'meeting the parents'. Swallowing, he opened his mouth to do just that, when a raven landed between them.

10 hours ago, Avenger Assembled said:

"Fellows!" it declared in what was clearly Owain's voice, booming out as clearly as if he was with them in human flesh. "Have you see my friend Neko?"

He was use to shapshifters at Claremont, so it wasn't surprised by Owain's voice coming out of the bird. He gave the avian a lopsided smirk.

"Not yet today, I'd remember if I had."

He took another bite as Luke spoke.

2 hours ago, Nerdzul said:

"Haven't seen her anywhere. Need some help?" He tossed.

"Ya, we're always up to help a friend. Especially if its to find a cute girl."

Leon grinned jokingly.

"Nay, 'tis I who is the quarry in this hunt, fellows - awp!" 

All of a sudden, what had appeared to be a pile of fallen leaves nearby revealed itself to be a catgirl in a bright gold and yellow kimono - who promptly leaped upon the landed bird and caught it between her hands. "Watashi no kachi!" she called excitedly, rolling over on her back as she tossed the raven into the air. "I got you!" Brushing the leaves out of her white brown-spotted hair, Neko sat up on a nearby stone wall and laughed as Owain transformed back to himself with a murmur of Welsh. 

"And a fair touch it was," Owain admitted, his dignity only slightly tattered by the experience. "Dishes tonight are mine to perform." 

Neko nodded at that, then looked over at Luke and Leon. "Ah, hello," she said, looking at them with big yellow eyes. Her sleek white tail was curled up behind her where it poked out of the bottom of her kimono, her long pointed ears straight up atop her head. There were no visible human ears underneath her fluffy white and brown hair at all. "We were hunting. Owain was not watch well." 

"I will have you know that I have hunted since I was a mere lad!" declared Owain as he sat down among his companions. He said something to Neko in Japanese that made her laugh, and said aloud, "Birds, wild dogs, wild pigs - all are things a young man must learn how to hunt in Logres!" 

"Yes but you did not watch well," said Neko, grinning, showing her slightly pointy front teeth. "And now, dishes!" 

15 minutes ago, Avenger Assembled said:

"Nay, 'tis I who is the quarry in this hunt, fellows - awp!"

When a cat-girl suddenly pounced on bird-Owain, the two tumbling several feet before she tossed the shapeshifted bird back into the air. Leon blinked in surprised before laughing out loud at poor Owian's apparent loss at their game.

15 minutes ago, Avenger Assembled said:

Neko nodded at that, then looked over at Luke and Leon. "Ah, hello," she said, looking at them with big yellow eyes. Her sleek white tail was curled up behind her where it poked out of the bottom of her kimono, her long pointed ears straight up atop her head. There were no visible human ears underneath her fluffy white and brown hair at all. "We were hunting. Owain was not watch well."

Leon stifled his laughter into a chuckle as he returned Neko's greeting.

"Hey Neko. Nice job, I didn't even notice you hiding there."

He gave her a friendly smile as he complimented her stealthiness.

"She could give us a run for our money."

Leon gave Luke a friendly arm punch and chuckled. His roommate could tell Leon was already in 'talking to cute girl' mode.

30 minutes ago, Avenger Assembled said:

"I will have you know that I have hunted since I was a mere lad!" declared Owain as he sat down among his companions. He said something to Neko in Japanese that made her laugh, and said aloud, "Birds, wild dogs, wild pigs - all are things a young man must learn how to hunt in Logres!" 

"Yes but you did not watch well," said Neko, grinning, showing her slightly pointy front teeth. "And now, dishes!" 

"Ya, but everyone knows cats are better hunters."

Leon shameless sided with Neko.

As he witnessed the scene Luke burst into laughter.

"You got him alright." He grinned when he recovered a modicum of composure. 

"Sorry man..." He gave Owain a playful pat on the shoulder.

"Do you always 'hunt' each other?" He tossed playfully.

"Btw that's a freakin' fun way to pick who does the chores..." The young man gave Leon a mischievous smile, although, to be perfectly honest, their rock-paper-scissors system had worked well for him so far. It was almost too easy in fact to play with a guy whose battle name was 'Paper'. 

"In my case though, there wouldn't be game at all..." Indeed, his track record on the matter of stealth at the school wasn't exactly stellar. Still, Luke shook his head and grinned when Leon nudged his shoulder, doing the same in return. We need to find you a date man... 

"I also have to side with Neko abou that..." He chuckled. 

"That's cool... Always wanted  to learn somethin' about hunting..." He added as Owain explained that he was a trained hunter. "I mean... a dragon should know right?" Not that he has ever had the need to hunt for his own food, thankfully, besides he wasn't sure if there was any quarry he could find in Freedom that could satiate his monstrous form.

"So how is it han- I mean, how are you doing, you two?" He added shortly thereafter. "I mean, looks like Claremont suits you..." 

Edited by Nerdzul

"Hm." Owain gave Luke a suspicious look. The timelost knight had eventually been persuaded by James that yes, the other boy definitely was a dragon that could take the shape of a man - but that didn't mean he had to be thrilled at the idea. "We are...well. There are fine warriors here - and wise sages as well. In Logres," he said, "education was only for the wealthy or those who gave themselves to service to the church or a great lord." He put his hand to his chin and said, "But I suppose that _is_ a place like this, is it not? Where even the worst among us train that they might give themselves in service to others." 

For her part, Neko met Leon's gaze and cocked her head, smiling with her eyes shut and mouth closed, before she folded her hands in her lap and said, "It is very big. And there is so many - things." She made a little gesture with her hands, obviously trying to describe a great many things at once, as her tail thumped behind her. "I don't know anything about that." 

Luke grinned and shook his head at Owain look. I guess that dragons and knights are natural enemies or somethin'  The thought made him chuckle.

"It's not as different as you might think now..." He replied "I mean, the basics are free for everyone, which is great, but if you need the training that really helps you make money you gotta be loaded."  Then again, of course it was much better than the middle ages, but the disparity of treatment was still definitely there. In fact, for himself, the level of instruction he was getting at Claremont was way above what he would have had without manifesting superpowers (although, he would have to admit that it would have been at least partially his fault as he was also less motivated in his old life).

He furrowed his brows at Owain's mention of 'the worst among us'. "What do you mean with that, man?"

"Yeah there must be a lot of cool stuff to see for you two." He grinned at Neko's exuberance. "By the way we  can show you around a bit if you like..."

Edited by Nerdzul

Leon chuckled as Luke nudged him. Luke forgot his strength sometimes, thankfully this wasn’t one of those times and Leon didn’t go tumbling… like last time.

He gave Owain an inscrutable look at the ‘worst of us’ comment. Silently echoing his roommate’s response.

“Public education is mocked, but for some it’s all they have access to. But I t’s something to get you by.”

Leon shrugged.

”But ya, if you want the better education it’s gonna cost you. That’s not to say people can’t get lucky. Grants and scholarships can really help peeps that need them.”

He leaned back on his hands watching Neko’s tail flip back and forth.

“But that’s way too much talk about school. There are plenty of things more fun to talk about.”

Leon grinned mischievously and nodded at Luke’s offer.

“Like showing you around town. We can always find fun.”

They could show them the club… no, wait, it shut down after the the incident with Holly and her brother.

”There are monuments and museums. There’s a botanical garden and a zoo.”

He thought for a moment.

”Say, you two been to the mall yet?”

"The mall? Oh yes, with the stores," said Neko hesitantly. "Danica and Tori took me to Hot Topic. They had some nice clothes, and Japanese movies. I never used to watch, um, movies very much, but it is very nice." 

Owain considered a moment, then with barely a pause walked over and looked Luke in the eye. "Luke, I...if I have judged you false, I ask for your pardon." He reached out and clasped the other boy on the arm. "Your curse must be a great burden for you, and I do not judge you for it. I meant only those with a weak nature, not those with bodies unlike my own. It is the quality of a man's soul that matters," he said with great feeling. 

"Owain needs clothes," said Neko suddenly, giving Leon a conspiratorial look. "He wear what he gets. Not like other boys."

"Neko I am having a moment with our dragon friend," said Owain, defensively but not actually angrily. "And I...wear what I wear! I have no need for sartorial extravagance." In what was clearly a second-hand jacket and slacks, Owain's words did not seem to live up to his appearance.  

Leon gave Neko’s conspiratorial look a mischievous grin in response. He tilted his head and eyeballed Owain and nodded. He leaned aside and looked at Luke.

”Oh ya, we gotta hook this boy up with some new threads.”

He said thumbing at the time-displaced knight and joked.

”His fashion sense is a few centuries outta date”

He looked up at Owain and teased.

“Ready for a real challenge? Dealing with sales reps.”