Ghosts and Grimalkins: The Wonders of the English Language

RocketLord

GM

Late November, a few weeks after Silver Screen Dreams

A Tuesday evening

At the roof of a random rundown apartment in the Fens

It had taken Ghost a few weeks to realize that Grimalkin might actually have been flirting with him during the whole deal at the movies with Silver Scream. It probably wasn't that, but talking with someone else with experience.

Besides... it had been a quiet day. Not even a single thug to stop or anything like that.

So, he'd reached out through HeroHouse (after working out how to recover his accoun), and now he was waiting on the top of a rundown apartment building in the middle of the Fens, on a clear November night.

GHOST

No, no, Casper had not gotten in touch with Grimalkin and asked her to meet because of that whole last bit where she might actually have been flirting with him, and no, he was not freaking out about that at all, because honestly, no, he was not ready for anything like that at all or anything, but... no. No, he just wanted to have a nice chat. Grimalkin had been pretty cool through that entire movie night deal, being one of the few heroes to actually try and talk with him (you'd think being on the Freedom League Aux would make people more willing to give Casper the time of day, but nope, didn't seem to be the case).

Having someone a bit more grounded to talk to would be nice, yeah? He still felt out of place with the Freedom League whenever he was called to serve, they were all just... so high up there. Even if he had been around for longer than most of them, they still seemed to be on an entirely different level compared to him, and Casper was sure it was just a matter of time before he got kicked out anyway.

So, yeah. He'd sent Grimalkin a message, just something simple. "Quiet patrol night. Wanna meet and talk? I'll be on roof of the apartment building at the corner of Kendall and 58th for the next half hour or so." 

See! Just something simple. Would be good to have someone to talk to.

Edited by RocketLord

Grimalkin

It was getting near to the end of the half hour when a voice came out of the air to Ghost's left

"Wow, this really takes me back! I patrolled the Fens a lot when I was just starting out."

Grimalkin was sitting on top of an air conditioning unit, leaning back on her elbows, her dancer's legs stretched out before her on the tarpaper roof. She wore her typical outfit of black and midnight blue leather, complete with black domino mask. Her hair was short, reddish brown and spikey, and her pointed elfin ears were clearly visible.

"Hiya, Ghostie! I was starting to think your phone was busted!"

Her accent was very South Jersey, and her smile was downright dangerous.

Edited by Heritage

GHOST

"I, err, sorry about that. Life gets busy, y'know." 

Not really a lie. Joining up with Freedom League Aux had not made Casper's life any less complicated than it already was. That Horrorshow kid mentioning how Grimalkin would be a good mentor had kind of freaked Casper out, at least a little bit, and had probably made him hesitate more than he should have. It was... it was just a lot to take in, that even the kids thought he needed help now. 

"Yeah? Funny we've never really run into each other, then. I mean, I got 'round most of the city, but keep finding myself back here eventually. Somebody's gotta keep an eye out for the people here too, right?"

Grimalkin

Grim studied Ghost for several moments, then sighed and kipped up to her feet. "Ah, I'm not gonna lie; I haven't done regular patrolling in years, in the Fens or any other neighborhood." She walked over to the edge of the roof and dropped down to a crouch, peering down at the street, her face illuminated from below. "I started to focus more on supernatural threats and left the street level crime to the kids."

It was a little odd to here this kind of talk coming from a girl who barely looked old enough to drink, but there was a world-weariness in her voice which suggested someone much older was behind the mask.

"Do you ever think about giving up? That no matter how hard we work, we're still trying to bail out the rowboat with a sieve?" She leaned foward, resting her chin on top of her hands. "I think about it sometimes."

Edited by Heritage

GHOST

Casper moved closer behind Grimalkin as she crouched down. He shrugged in response to her not patrolling. It wasn't really his deal what she did and didn't do, anyway.

He paused and suppressed a little grin behind his mask at the question.

"Oh, yeah. Every damn morning when I wake up, every time I put on the mask and somebody beats me face first into the ground. I've even stopped a few times before."

Ghost's sounded completely serious, It was no joke or quip at all. 

"I mean, c'mon. I've been doing this for more than 18 years now, since I was a kid, and here we go, everything' still bad around us and everything. So, yeah, I do think about giving up, all the damn time."

His voice was rather deadpan, not really uplifting in any way, he was absolutely serious. He stretched his back, making an audible cracking noise, before he sat down on the edge of the roof next to Grimalkin, his feet hanging over the ledge.

Grimalkin

The changeling nodded in agreement with Ghost's statement. "It's good that you take breaks; I have, too, sometimes for years at a time." She took a deep breath and sighed; when she spoke again, much of that bone weary fatigue had left her voice. "So have you been a solo act all these years? No partners before joining the Auxiliary?"

Edited by Heritage

GHOST

"But see, that's the thing... I've tried to stop. Not just taking breaks, I've tried. Or I've been lying in bed wondering why I continue putting on this mask, then going out there, getting hurt, and then... I just do it again." His tone of voice was changing, a bit of a hopeful tint to it. "I mean, cost me a marriage and everything, but I can't stop. I got these powers, y'know. And I can use them to help people. So, I might think about stopping, but I know myself. There's no way it's gonna stick, and the moment I see someone in trouble, I'll be flying into action again. Can't help it."

Casper smiled under the mask, as he looked down below. They weren't that far up, but still... far enough up.

"I've made my peace with it, y'know. But I'm still gonna complain about it."

He sounded tired, but at the same time, somehow full of energy. He was a weird contradiction.

Ghost held up his hand, wobbling it a bit back and forth at the second question about partners. "Eeh, depends. Worked with people for a while, sometimes they left, sometimes I did. Lots of random team ups along the way." He paused briefly. "Didn't really join the Aux to get partners or anything that. Just realized I could maybe do better. Maybe make my kid proud of me."

Grimalkin

Grim chuckled and shook her head as Ghost described his previous attempts at partnerships. "Well maybe you haven't partnered with the right people. I mean, if you ever need someone in a pinch or a stakeout buddy, let me know. I make an amazing stakeout buddy; I bring good coffee and homemade donuts."

After a bit of silence, the changeling turned to him. "I'm curious. Does the Aux offer any kind of salary or benefits? Does it include housing?"

Edited by Heritage
  • 2 weeks later...

GHOST

Ghost blew a raspberry at Grimalkin's question.

"I wish." 

He shook his head, while holding his hands up in a half hearted shrug.

"Full leaguers get benefits. Sure, some of them are good about sharing the wealth around and everything, but I'd honestly feel kind of terrible about asking someone like Gabriel to spot me some money, y'know? And sure, could get housing, but then I'd have to live in one the League HQs somewhere, and..." Ghost held up his hand, wobbling it a bit back and forth. "Not really that close with anyone yet, y'know."

"But what about you? You've been around a while too, any reason you've never tried to get into the League?"

Grimalkin

Grim wrinkled her nose and shrugged, which looked pretty adorable. "Eh, I've been part of two super teams in my time. Also tried two partnerships, and in another life on another world, I was a freedom fighter during a revolution."

She shrugged again.

"I dunno, right now I'm kinda happy to be my own boss, y'know? I'm not hurting for money, I own two businesses, and I've got some charities on the side; why complicate it by joining a team, am I right?"

The changeling paused and looked thoughtful.

"I mean, if I ever wanted to, I could probably talk to Velocity about it. We've known each other for years, she'd probably put in a good word for me."

Edited by Heritage

GHOST

Casper shrugged. 

"Haven't really met her, but sure, contacts help. Pretty sure meeting Fleur was half the reason that Comrade Frost let me me on the team in the first place."

Grimalkin did have a good point, though. 

"Sounds like you're busy enough. I guess I just needed a change. I was kinda getting into a rut, so felt nice to be wanted, for a change. So far, it's mostly been a few meetings and then getting to flash my member card to cops and such, so not that big a change."

Casper stood up and stretched his back.

"But that hurts, y'know. Thinking I wouldn't put in a good word if you wanted in." His tone made it obvious that it was a joke.

Suddenly Grim hopped up to her feet, a crazy grin on her face.

"Hey, know what? Let's patrol together, right now! I haven't done it in forever, and I could stand to brush up my skills. Whaddya say?"

She put her arms out in a sort of downward T-pose and began to float upward, feet together and back slightly arched.

GHOST

"Huh? Yeah, sure. Why not?" Might be nice to have some company on a patrol, for once.

"You know Johnny, a few blocks from here? City's best hot dogs. I usually try to swing by a few times, just to make sure he's doing alright." Plus, he was starting to get hungry.

Ghost set off from the ground, floating up next to Grimalkin. He didn't make a sound as he moved through the cold air, he just stopped standing on the building. He pointed ahead, towards the direction of Johnny, then paused as he heard a noise coming from the direction.

It sounded like something big that was smashing through the area.

GM

Johnny was not having a good day. A couple of guys had run off with his safe and most of the days earnings. He had stepped in dog shit. His hot dog cart was starting to have issues with the power, and, on top of all that, it was so damn cold out.

He left the cart alone for a moment to go clean his shoes, then came back and couldn't believe his eyes.

"Oh, hell no..." he muttered to no one in particular, stunned by the sight before him.

A Tyrannosaurus Rex was standing by the remains of his cart, it's massive jaws buried inside it, eating whatever it could reach.

It looked like something straight out of Jurassic Park, like the older, non-feathered belief of a dinosaur. It's skin was dark grey and leathery. And to top off the ridiculousness, it was wearing a normal, human-sized top hat at the top of it's head, which somehow seemed to stay in place no matter how it moved, and a gold rimmed monocle over his left eye, which looked absolutely tiny compared to the huge eye.

The creature pulled up from the cart and growled at Johnny, opening it's massive mouth to speak. 

"I hunger, require sustenance, must feed! This is not enough, does not meet my needs, leaves me wanting more!" 

The creature's voice was deep and growling, though with a distinct British accent. 

Finally regaining his senses, Johnny turned around and started running down the street while screaming.

"Be silent, stop screaming, cease your noise! Escape is impossible, you cannot flee, you will not run!" 

It started running after Johnny, smashing through cars along the way, before coming into view of Ghost and Grimalkin.

Edited by RocketLord

As had often been the case throughout her strange existence, Grimalkin's body and powers changed over time. Some abilities she let fall away, while others she discovered through experimentation. Currently she was able to fly when she changed the density of her glamour, but honestly it was more like a slow float. It took her a moment to catch up with Ghost, but when she finally got there, she stopped as though she'd been smacked with a large wooden plank, mouth slightly agape.

"Now that's not something you see every day."

Allowing gravity to have its way with her, she dropped out of the sky in front of the strange beast, stopping two feet above the ground with her arms crossed and looking annoyed.

"Hey Monster Guy with the silly hat! What gives?"

Edited by Heritage

GM

The dinosaur with the top hat and monocle stopped, staring at Grimalkin with what could best be described as growing annoyance in it's reptillian eyes.

"I am no mere monster, beast or creature! I am mind and muscle, brain and brawn, intelligence and power! A genius, a prodigy, a mastermind! I am the great, the powerful, the unstoppable Thesaurus Rex!" 

He snorted once, breathing heavily at Grimalkin's face, before looking up at Ghost, losing all interest in Grimalkin for a moment.

"YOU!" The recognition was quite clear in his voice. "The Ghost! My archenemy, rival, my nemesis!"

GHOST

Despite his mask, Casper looked incredibly embarassed as he floated down next to Grimalkin, looking up at the dinosaur with the top hat and the monocle.

"He... he is not my nemesis..." he muttered to Grimalkin, before he shook his head and crossed his arms. "But... yeah. He's one of mine."

Shaking his head again, he looked up at Thesaurus Rex.

"C'mon, Rex. I thought we agreed that Kaiju Island was a great place to live. What are you doing back in Freedom?"

Grim blinked a few times before looking between the loquacious saurian and the deeply embarrassed hero. "Wait, wait, you've fought this guy before? Oh dude, I am so sorry." 

Deferring to the insubstantial crimefighter, she floated behind his right shoulder, just within his peripheral vision. She flicked her night-black talons out, more out of reflex than anything else. 

• 3 weeks later...

GM

Thesaurus Rex seemed to puff himself up, pulling back before roaring at the two heroes.

"I require intellectual stimulation, challenges, titilation! The beasts, monsters, kaiju were not enough! No, I require the challenge, effort, fight that only you can provide, my rival, archenemy, nemesis!"

The giant dinosaur with the top hat pulled back. Ghost and Grimalkin could almost sweat it smiled, before it opened it's mouth and started running at them.

"I will eat, devour, consume you!"

GHOST

"Too many times. Way too many times." 

Ghost sounded downright exhausted.

"He'll rant and roar about some intellectual challenge or something like that, probably boast a bit about how much smarter he is than us, and then probably try to eat us, and..."

At Thesaurus Rex's shout and charge, Casper snapped his fingers.

"There it is! See? Anyway, watch out for his tail, mouth and claws. He's a dinosaur, and I guess he's smart for dinosaur, but he's not nearly as smart as he thinks, so... Yeah. Let's go."

Upon seeing the ridiculous yet still terrifying dinosaur advancing towards them, Grim decided to see if she could trap him or at least slow him down. Stillnflisting in the air, she twister her fingers around, shaping a massive cage of bamboo out of glamour around Ghost's foe, hoping it would hold him.

"Welcome to Jurassic Park, bitch!"

GM

Thesaurus Rex stopped in his tracks as he looked at the bamboo that manifested around him.

He breathed out loudly, and, as far as could be told from his reptillian features, he appeared to be quite annoyed.

"That is awfully, exceptionally, extremely bigoted, prejudiced, racist! That movie, motion picture, flick was hurtful to us! We are more than beasts, monsters, creatures!"

And just to prove himself wrong, Thesaurus Rex roared and spun around, slamming his tail into the bamboo wall.

GHOST

"GRIM!" 

Damn it, that was... that was not what was expected.

Thesaurus Rex might look ridiculous, but he was still strong, way too strong.

Ghost knelt by the ground, placing both hands down. The ground in front of him, stretching towards Thesaurus Rex, crackled with light blue energy, until it reached the ground under Thesaurus Rex. The dinosaur slipped into the ground, disappearing down into the street with just his head sticking out.

Casper reached out to Grimalkin. This was one of his bad guys, he felt bad that he actually hurt her. "Are you alright?"

"Augh!" It had been a while since the changeling had tried to capture someone as powerful as Thesaurus Rex; she forgot just how much it hurt if somebody broke through one of her glamour creations, because they were linked to her. The massive tail shattering the bamboo cage felt like a piledriver slammed into her gut, knocking the wind out of her and dropping her to the ground.

"I'm okay!" she gasped as she held up one hand while cradling her abdomen with the other. "My own damn fault for getting cocky. Just...gimme a minute."