As both an alumi and fellow educator Mike found himself at the Claremont Academy not infrequently.  He had at times advised students before.  But this mentorship program was a rare visit not in his mild mannered grade school teacher persona but as Phalanx and while his secret identity was by most reckoning the worst kept secret among heroes he at least attempted to draw a firm line between the two. One he hoped his partner for hte mornings event would abide.  Though Geckoman was nowhere to be seen yet, not that running late was entirely out of character, and if truth be told Phalanx had arrived slightly early in his efforts not to be late.  

He kept a wary ear for the sound of the Pitchoo just in case as he waited cape blowing faintly in the low breeze and head just shy of brushing the rafters of the small pavilion adjacent to the gardens where he was to meet his fellow alumni and any students he might offer some measure of comfort and he hoped wisdom.

James had hung around a bit, trying his very best to stay out of sight. It was nervewracking to have all of these huge heroes around. So many of these people were legends on Earth-∞, they had entire legacies and dynasties following in their footsteps, and here... here he was. Trying his very hardest to catch a glimpse of Phalanx without trying to draw to much attention to himself.

He was wearing the standard golden and blue Claremont uniform, with a jacket in the same colors to keep warm. It... well, he did have a costume, but he didn't feel comfortable walking around with it all the time. 

Not like Phalanx. Cape and everything, he looked like the legendary hero that he was.

James was, quite simply, in awe, as he stood a bit away, stealing glances every now and again.

Artificer

Heroditus had always been eager to seek out mentors among Claremont's staff, so he could learn as much as possible.  He was, of course, most interested in learning about both the technologies and magics of the Surface World, but he never turned down a chance to learn about anything Surfacer-related.  Last month's survival class had been particularly educational, if for nothing else but to show just how dangerous the Surface World could be.  He had mostly recovered from that ordeal, and hoped this new experience would go more smoothly.

There was no mention of us being taken anywhere, so we will probably stay at the Academy.  Yes, in the nice, familiar Academy.

He knew of Geckoman and Phalanx, having read through the big news articles about them, and even checking out some of the old Claremont Yearbooks.  Geckoman's choice as a mentor for him was clear: he used a wide array of technologies, and his acrobatic style of combat pointed to a 3D spatial awareness which Atlanteans developed early on but which most Surfacers lacked.  Phalanx's choice, though, was less obvious.  He was a hero in fine standing, holder of the legacy of The Centurion, one of the greatest heroes of the Surface World.  But he wasn't known for being tech-minded, or mystically-inclined.  Perhaps he was there for a more general mentorship?  To introduce them to other aspects of the Surface world?  Whatever the case, he would conduct himself with all the honor and propriety that would be expected of an Atlantean.

He arrived on the scene a few moments after James, flashing back to when they first met, and nodded to his fellow student.  He wore a version of his standard breeches & tunic outfit, in Claremont blue-and-gold, with brown Gladiator-style sandals and bandolier slung across his torso.  When he saw Phalanx, he fell to one knee, raised his left fist to his heart and then to his temple, and gave a lengthy greeting in the bright click-pop language of his people, filled with honorifics and expressions of gratitude for being allowed to learn from the elder hero.  After he spoke, he remained on the ground, hands on one knee, looking up with reverence to his new mentor.

Geckoman walked out of the gardens, unexpectedly not flying in or driving in. His suit was a neon green, with boots and gauntlets of an emerald hue. A belt of seemingly endless pockets and pouches hung at his waist, the same banana yellow as the prominent G stretched over a muscular chest. His belt was buckled with an old, tarnished silver pin, emblazoned with an overlapping Y and F. It wasn't the only part of his outfit showing his age, his goggles were much less high tech than the rest of his costume, the leather straps worn and frayed, the edges of the orange circular glass a little chipped and tarnished. 

He paused, looking from the teenager kneeling on the floor, and up to his former teammate, and then back to the teenager kneeling on the floor.

Finally he turned to the other child they were mentoring, an incredulous expression on his face. "Did I... miss something here? Am I kneeling too? Because y'know, I'm more of a..." Geckoman pointed to the pavilion's rafters. "Hanging upside down kind of guy."

Phalanx stood shoulders back head slowly swiveling as he watched the students move about the campus lingering for a moment on the young man not so subtly watching him offering a friendly nod and welcoming smile.  Blinking rapidly as Artificer approached and took a knee he was somewhat caught off-guard by the gesture and did not at first notice Geckomans approach as well.   He looked just past the young Atlanteans shoulder for a just a moment and shook his head, "No, not that isn't necessary."  he intoned carefully and took a knee to come down to the youths level, "Ah do you speak English?"  He asked gently and paused with concentration before repeating the question in very broken Atlantean as if it was being relayed word for word from a voice no others could hear.

He smiled wide at Geckomans antics and stood offering a hand to help Heroditus to his feet as he replied, "I think there may be a, ah, cultural disconnect."  he explained carefully. "It's good to see you."  he added genuinely to his old friend.  "Welcome, welcome."  he returned to his greeting of the youths.  "I am known as Phalanx, and this is Geckoman."  he offered as introduction and beckoned James in closer with one hand, "I'm afraid I didn't catch you name."  he apologized to Heroditus warmly and nodded to the other youth who seemed a bit more shy, "Nor your companions."

Artificer

"I do," Heroditus replied, in English.  He nodded to Geckoman, then rose to his feet.  "I am called Artificer, though that is as much a title as it is a code-name.  To others I am known as..."

He paused a moment, unsure whether or not to reveal his family or personal name.  That is normally how one would introduce themselves to a new mentor, back home, but here, among the "superhero community," things seemed a bit more complex.  He decided to remain guarded.

"Well, perhaps that should come later.  May I ask, what sort of mentorship will you be providing for us?"  He turned slightly to address Geckoman, "will you be sharing your expertise of technology, or of combat?  Or both?"

"I don't think we have to k-kneel," James offered to Geckoman, before freezing up as he looked and realized who it was.

He swallowed hard and slowly stepped forward, approaching Phalanx as well.

"I... I'm Freedom Eagle." James almost sounded like he was about to say something else, before he stopped himself and moved to hold tightly around himself with his arms. "It's really a great honor to meet you both. You... they still talk about you where I'm from."

• 2 weeks later...

"Exaggerated I'm sure."  Phalanx replied with a gentle smile aimed to put the young heroes at ease.  "You carry a storied name yourself."  he added with a nod to Freedom Eagle.  

Looking down at Heroditus he shook his head slightly and nodded to Geckoman, "I'm sure my friend here and myself are happy to offer whatever advice we can on your wonderous devices."  he assured the young Atlantean confidently.  "But we hope to offer primarily the benefits of experience with the responsibilities you both bear."  he paused with glance to Geckoman, "This path is not always an easy one to tread, and doubt will creep in, doubt that unchecked could make you hesitate when you must act, or act too soon merely for the sake of taking action."  He looked down solemnly at the last and let his words linger for a long moment to sink in.

"Y-yes. There's been many Freedom Eagles b-before me," James stammered in response to his storied name. He, quite obviously, didn't look like he thought he lived up to that name.

He listened with some intensity to Phalanx's words, before asking a question. "Then w-what do you d-do when y-you don't know what t-to do?"

Artificer

Heroditus looked to Phalanx, standing up a bit straighter and puffing out his chest a bit.  "Ah, responsibility!  Yes, that is something with which I am very familiar, sir!  With which all Atlanteans are familiar," he saluted the elder hero again, fist to heart and then temple.  "The Stylianos clan has served the city-states of Atlantis for generations, and I am honored to continue that tradition."

The mentorship plan began to reveal itself to the young Atlantean, or so he thought.  "I know of the types of training the military receives, beyond athletics and combat.  Mental preparation, to combat the.... baser instincts.  To counter fear and doubt, so that which must be done can be done."  He nodded, self-assuredness growing, "and to properly assess the environment in a timely manner."

On 12/2/2021 at 10:42 AM, RocketLord said:

"Y-yes. There's been many Freedom Eagles b-before me," James stammered in response to his storied name. He, quite obviously, didn't look like he thought he lived up to that name.

He listened with some intensity to Phalanx's words, before asking a question. "Then w-what do you d-do when y-you don't know what t-to do?"

Geckoman shrugged, looking thoughtful for a moment. "Well, you know, generally at that point I'm just internally going ohno-ohno-ohno-ohno-ohno." He looked wistfully into the distance, before letting out a laugh. "Listen, kids. I still do not know what I'm doing. No one's gonna be able to just tell you what to do if you wake up in an alternate dimension, or if a supervillain poisons all the beverages at a baseball game, or if your girlfriend drives into you so fast it cracks your ribs and the momentum carries you off a skyscraper. Hell; I've done all of those and I can only say I'm confident in what I did after one of them. Y'know what the important bit is? I did it."

He turned to Heroditus and looked the young man up and down. "Like, if you want, I'm sure the big guy here and I can figure out some sort of drill for you, but that doesn't have to be the be-all and end-all. Like, practice is good, you want to have tried dodging a bullet before the first time a bad guy shoots at you. But that's not really the hard bit."

• 3 weeks later...

Artificer

He doesn't know what he's doing?  Then how is he expected to mentor us?, Heroditus thought as he scrutinized Geckoman's words.  What good is- oh.... oh!  Of course!  He believes he knows nothing, he recognizes his own ignorance, realizes that there is always more he can learn.  And he wishes to pass this on to us, so we do not become overwhelmed by hubris or pride.  Very clever!

He nodded, satisfied that he'd unraveled some great mystery.  "What is the hard bit, sir?," he asked.  "Is it," he cocked his head and squinted slightly, "is it... just doing it?  That is, just continuing on, despite all any all hardships, despite all obstacles?"  He straightened back up, "how might one develop such... fortitude?"

"Just... do it?"

James sounded absolutely blown away, like he wasn't sure what Geckoman even meant. 

"I, uh... That sounds really... I don't know. I don't know how to do that, I think. I, err, I kinda got this voice in the suit that tries to tell me what to do? What... what if it tells me to do something that, that sounds like the right thing to do, but feels like it's wrong anyway?"