More Than One Way To Skin A Cat

Heritage

Claremont Academy Quad. Wednesday, November 3rd, 2021. 9:00 am

It would probably go down as one of the most colorful days in the history of Claremont Academy. Students, teachers, parents and established heroes walked the campus in unprecedented numbers, creating an air of excitement. Here and there powers were demonstrated by either mentors or mentees, and the many flashes of light and occasional gouts of flame almost made it feel like an autumn carnival.

Out on the quad, a small wooden booth had appeared earlier, with any instantly familiar design. The placard above read 'Heroic Advice 5¢', while the sign below read 'The Grimalkin is IN'. Behind the booth sat a slender young woman in black and midnight blue leather, legs stretched out and twidling her thumbs. Her auburn hair was short and spiky, the eyes behind her black domino mask were dark brown, and her ears were pointed like a Vulcan. She looked barely older than any of the other students wandering the campus.

Grim eagerly awaited the arrival of her mentee; from what she heard from his teachers, they would have a lot to talk about.

Edited by Heritage

Cat-Sith

Simon didn't get the reference behind the booth, but that was okay. His mentor was an attractive woman, so that was a plus. 

"Salutations." He said, smiling. She looked about like what was described to him. Remarkably, she was shorter than he was. He was glad for that, everyone seemed to be taller than him in the future. 

"I am called Cat-Sith." he said, not sure how to greet her. He extended his hand. He realized that might not be appropriate, but he didn't know what was appropriate all the time. He hoped she would forgive him. "I can turn into a cat." he said, blurting it out for no reason in particular. He winced briefly, assuming she already knew that. Of course if she didn't know that, that was fine, too, best to establish an understanding. 

"Hi, yes, hello! I'm Grimalkin; pleased to meet ya!" The petite shapeshifter stood to give the Claremonter a firm handshake in return. "I've heard a lot of good things about you. Here, let me give us a bit more privacy." 

She waved her hand, and the silly little stand dissolved into a cloud of gray vapor. In its place, Grim created a small neatly made wooden cabin around them, complete with glass windows, a door on wooden hinges, a table and two comfortable chairs. The changeling then drew a circle in the air with her finger, reached into it upto her elbow, and pulled out a battery-powered camp lantern, which she turned on and hung from a wooden ceiling hook that appeared moments before she needed it.

"There we go! Pretty cool, huh? Have a seat, Cat-Sith, and tell me a little about yourself." She took a seat and leaned forward, elbows on the table and chin in her hands, and gave him her undivided attention.

Edited by Heritage
  • 2 weeks later...

Cat-Sith

Cat-Sith blinked a few times at the sudden change to a cabin. He was surprised, but it passed quickly. His life had been such a chaotic mess of magic lately that her spell, or whatever it was, didn't shock him nearly as much as it might have someone else, but he did get surprised. 

"...well I was born in 1742. I got turned into a cat because I stole a little cat statue, and I got turned back into a human last year. Well, except for the fact that I can still turn into a cat, and I have some other abilities even when I'm not a cat. Would you like to know anything else?"

Simon was somewhat nervous, talking to an experienced superhero. 

Edited by Thunder King

"Interesting! So when you were a cat all those years, did you still maintain your human intelligence, or did you think like a cat? And can you take on any others forms?"

As she spoke, she once again reached into the hole in the air and began to bring out a few more items, including some Tupperware and glassware. It soon became clear that she'd brought a little feast for the two of them, including roast turkey, red potatoes cooked in olive oil and dill, and steamed broccoli. It all smelled heavenly!

• 2 weeks later...

"Oh, I can't even imagine! We are definitely lucky to be living in a golden age of cooking." Grim looked between Simon and then food he's been eyeing. "Are you worried about the food? It's all real, I cooked it myself. Here, I'll serve us both some."

The heroine served up a hearty helping of everything present on two plates, then poured the m both a cup of apple cider.

"Here you go, dig in! Well, wait, let me say a quick prayer first." The changeling bowed her head in prayer. "Barukh ata Adonai Eoheinu melekh ha'olam hamotzi lehem min ha'aretz. Blessed are You, Lord our God, Ruler of the universe, who brings forth bread from the earth. Amen."

Then she looked up and rubbed her hands together. "Okay, now you can go for it."

Edited by Heritage