Star Raiders: Smuggler’s Run (IC)

Thevshi

GM

Arcturus Orbital City, Dreeda III, Lor Republic

Along the inner edge of the Perseus Arm

Lor Time Mark 1993.1 (June 28, 2021 Terran Calendar)

Before the Incursion, Dreeda III was simply a small, but growing Lor colony on a verdant, habitable world. Like many such worlds within the Republic or other Coalition controlled sectors, Dreeda III's population saw exponential growth as dislocated populations were resettled. To accommodate the massive influx of beings, entire cities had been built across several continents while two orbital cities had been placed in orbit over the world, helping to handle the vast influx of space traffic that the world started to experience.

It was toward one of those orbital cities that the somewhat motley group of cosmic adventurers were travelling to further Star Knight Kath'lana's investigation into a smuggling ring that was operating out of the system. Currently the four individuals were aboard Space Ranger's spacecraft as it approached the main spaceport of Arcturus Orbital City.

Sri Kath'lana

Kath'lana was standing to one side of the bridge of The Star Lance as the vessel approached Arcturus Orbital City, which was visible out of the viewport. The F'terrix Star Knight was still in her armor, although her helmet was retracted for the moment. Her green cat-like eyes studied the vast orbital city before them for a few moments before glancing at the others gathered on the bridge.

"How do we want to proceed?" The young Star Knight asked. "We need to identify the group’s base of operations. I would expect they operate close to one of the star ports to avoid having to move any illicit goods any further than necessary between wherever they store them and transports."

Corsair

Vynn was sitting in a chair on the bridge, spinning it around and around. As she discussed the plan with the team, he spun faster and faster, until finally he stopped all of a sudden, and clapped his hands together.

"I've got it! If you would, my dear, send me down to the surface to talk to some ne'er-do-wells, perhaps get the information without force? You could say that is my specialty. Unless you want to accompany me in disguise?" he said, gesturing at her Star Knight armor. "As well you know, it is easier to catch Arcturian bloat-flies with honey, than with vinegar."

"What do you think, sidekick?" he asked, turning towards Space Ranger.

Traveller
Sitara had a bad habit when aboard ships, she liked to poke around the gubbins seeing how they worked. It was surprising how much stayed the same between different races technology, though always the odd tweaks that were interesting.

Those subspace relays really need adjusting you’re wasting efficiency every time they’re activated.” she cleaned her hand before turning her attention to the task at hand

Don’t make the mistake of thinking you’re the only expert here. I was hanging with never do wells when your ancestors were in diapers!” she smiled with a glint in her eye as she said it

But it’s not a terrible idea, generally they’ll find a place to hang out together, consume the local beverages of choice and find suitable mates. I don't spend so much time in seedy bars just for the booze and fights...!”

Space Ranger III

J'onn had been polite. He had asked Vynn to not spin in the chair a few times, even saying please the first time. Then he had told him not to spin in the chair.

Now, as he steered the Star Lance towards their location, he was starting to get ready to reach for one of his Ray Guns so he could make Vynn stop spinning in the chair... and then, he stopped. Finally.

He looked over to Sitara and shook his head. "The Star Lance was my mom's ship. I'd like to keep it as is, thanks."

"So, how about the two go together, then? Sounds like you're less likely to stand out, right? How's that sound?"

Corsair

On 10/24/2021 at 5:40 PM, Tiffany Korta said:

Don’t make the mistake of thinking you’re the only expert here. I was hanging with never do wells when your ancestors were in diapers!” she smiled with a glint in her eye as she said it

But it’s not a terrible idea, generally they’ll find a place to hang out together, consume the local beverages of choice and find suitable mates. I don't spend so much time in seedy bars just for the booze and fights...!”

"Do you want to join us, then? It seems you're far more an expert than I am capable of being, in a chronological sense. And yes, now you're getting it! I think consuming alcoholic beverages (and perhaps finding suitable mates) would do wonders for us! I never have had a problem with either. A mate in every port, eh Traveler?"

9 hours ago, RocketLord said:

He looked over to Sitara and shook his head. "The Star Lance was my mom's ship. I'd like to keep it as is, thanks."

"So, how about the two go together, then? Sounds like you're less likely to stand out, right? How's that sound?"

Okay, that was enough. There was only so far Vynn could push someone, and it looked like Space Ranger had reached his limit. His humor was well-intended, and though he certainly knew how to push the young man's buttons, that didn't mean he needed to all the time. He looked up at him with a look that bordered on actual embarrassment for his behavior.

"Sorry, Space Ranger. I didn't mean anything by it. I can understand being attached to a ship, much less one that your mother owned." He stood up, and extended his hand as a gesture of goodwill. "Hey, we're okay, right? First round's on me. Well, first two, eh?," he said with a winning smile. "Hell, why not have all three of us hit the surface?"

Sri Kath'lana

Kath'lana was glad that Corsair had quickly suggested she join him in disguise in attempting to make contact with the smuggling group and then seemed happy to have Traveller and Space Ranger join as well. The young Star Knight was still not entirely certain how far they could trust Corsair, although she did recognize he seemed sincere in wanting to make amends for his past as a criminal.

"I can certainly deactivate the armor to move about more discretely." The F'terrix responded. "However, I would expect I would not nearly do as well in trying to fit in among such elements as you, or Praetor Sitara."

"I am willing to accompany you in trying to make contact with the group. Unless we fell it would be better to have at least one of us in reserve if needed."

Space Ranger III

"We'll see," J'onn responded to Corsair, looking up at him with a grin.

"My suit's not gonna stand out that much. Can always wear something over it, but gotta agree with Miss Knight. Maybe having some of us in reserve would be best? Just in case something unexpected pops up?"

He reached up for some controls, shifting the angle of the Star Lance slightly, tilting it towards the orbital station.

"Anyway, I guess we should decide soon, if we're gonna dock."

Edited by RocketLord

Corsair

"I agree! Sitara and I should scout out the situation, see what we can dig up, while you two goody two-shoes brave adventurers should wait in reserve. After all, the criminal element is, uh," he said, looking over to Sitara, "Our speciality."

He rose, brushing off his jacket. Surely this would be a friendly port - or had he left such a bad impression with Kraken that these contacts wouldn't be good anymore? Well, there was only one way to find out. Truth be told, he was glad he wasn't on this mission by himself. Though he had to rely on his wits for most of his life, it helped to have a friend nearby.

"And shall we meet you at a rendezvous point in say, three hours? Better make it four..."

Traveller
Sitara followed the flow of the conversation with some amusement, she’d hear similar conversations many time before on many teams.

Beside you all stand out like a cadet review!”she added with some amusement, before adding more seriously.

We could use this to our advantage though. You could turn up to whatever counts as law enforcement with warrants for two newcomers. If they’re crocked it will back up our story, if not they might know other places we’ll miss?”

It was an old way to do this, but it did tend to work and only rarely made things more complicated...

Sri Kath'lana

"If it is going to take you four hours then you are probably not as good at this as you claim to be." Kath'lana responded to Corsair with a slight snarl as Space Ranger guided the Star Lance into the main docking ring of the orbital city.

The Star Knight turned toward Sitara as she added her thoughts. "With all due respect Praetor, involving the Lor law enforcement is likely to be counter productive. This group is operating within the heart of a major Lor orbital city. I would image they are not interested in drawing unnecessary attention, so it would stand to reason they would want to keep their distance from two newcomers who are being hunted."

On 11/2/2021 at 12:59 AM, Thevshi said:

Sri Kath'lana

"If it is going to take you four hours then you are probably not as good at this as you claim to be." Kath'lana responded to Corsair with a slight snarl as Space Ranger guided the Star Lance into the main docking ring of the orbital city.

The Star Knight turned toward Sitara as she added her thoughts. "With all due respect Praetor, involving the Lor law enforcement is likely to be counter productive. This group is operating within the heart of a major Lor orbital city. I would image they are not interested in drawing unnecessary attention, so it would stand to reason they would want to keep their distance from two newcomers who are being hunted."

Corsair

Vynn waited until Sri's back was turned, and made a little face, mocking herher. "Perhaps you don't realize this, but friendships aren't something to be rushed into. I'm no stranger to carousing, but I do know when its time to get serious," he said, putting more edge in his voice than he meant to. "Even though we have warrants, so will most of the people we're talking to. I don't think it'll be a problem, especially if we are offering free drinks."

"Sri, I see your point. You don't have any reason to trust me, and that's fair. But trust me when I say that this is my forte. With Sitara by my side, we'll get you the information you need. Okay?"

Space Ranger III

"Alright, we're all very pretty and good at what we do, so how about we let the pirate and the praetor give it a shot at first, Miss Star Knight?" J'onn offered, looking over his shoulder at the Star Knight, before turning his full attention back to docking with the station.

"At any rate, the praetor should know what she's doing, right? Might mean things go a bit faster, yeah?" 

He sounded confident, of course. They could do this. He hoped, at least. So far, J'onn thought he did a pretty good job of playing down his own excitement of working with both a praetor and a Star Knight. The pirate? Not so much.

• 3 weeks later...

Traveller

As always you improvise!” Sitara smiled at the others “Trust me I’ve done this kind of thing many, many times before!”

Thinking for a second she typed something on her wrist comp sending a small data package to the others.

Unique tacnet frequencies so you can listen into what we’re doing, I designed the algorithm myself it should be almost undetectable and unhackable.”

It was no false modesty as Sitara had worked on this for a few centuries on and off, and it was something she’d not (yet) shared with the Lor.

So shall we do this?”