Delivery at Pier 18 [IC]

Geckoman & Quark, the Wednesday morning before (Sept 23rd), Quark's Place

Quark finds nothing about the guy who posted the ad on OddJobs.com. The site itself is set up like the Classified's section of a newspaper, the only contact info available is what the poster chooses to give out. Which, in this case, is a description of the person you'll contact.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tabitha Connely & Jos Terhune (and a snoopy Ember), early Sept 28th, at the Fens

As Ember ran he couldn't help but feel the sudden knot in his Stomach, the gurgling it suddenly made in protest of being empty. Ember hadn't realized how hungry he'd been.

A Battle ranged within, Ember's stomach groaned and begged for food, but at the same time, adrenalin and fear from his fox Instincts told him to run... than it happened, a fain't smell on the air. Although faint, Ember could smell the succulent, roast chicken, someone must have had it for dinner, and thrown the rest out into the trash...

The battle won, even Ember's instinct's told him he needed food, that the threat was over, he needed to eat now...

Darting suddenly to the right ember quickly jumped across to another building and than down into a side ally, falling on all fores ember began to sniff the air, in search of the illusive smell...

"'Sup, dude? Actually yes, found a bit more. I'm here with Gordy... singing dude, you berk! I thought you were super-smart? Apparently he's met the guy as well, who has been looking for teens in the park to do the job. I mean, we knew he'd been there all week, but I didn't know he was eyeing up the young meat, y'know?" Geckoman glanced over at Gordy, realising he'd forgotten something. "Darian's on the phone," he said, covering the mouthpiece as he said it before bringing the phone back up to his ear.

"Oh, the real smart guy. Cool. The more people involved, the less stupid I feel for agreeing to this. And I'm the Broadway kid. I act and dance as well as sing. Sometimes while singing." Gordy seems to remember that Chris is on the phone, and smiles embarrassedly. "Sorry, shouldn't distract you."

• 3 weeks later...

Tabitha Connely & Jos Terhune (and a snoopy Ember), early Sept 28th, at the Fens

Round 2 (Initiative 11): No damage; Fatigued; 1 HP

Tabitha grins wickedly as she sees the fleeing figure end his pursuit and begin searching for food. A quick crack of her mystical whip brought her to within sight of her quarry, who was furtively digging through trash cans. She moved in close, knowing she would probably only get one shot at this or be forced to chase him again.

Move action to Teleport to where Ember is (within 15 feet). Free action to switch Array from Gluttony to Sloth (Fatigue 8), and then standard action to use power on Ember.

Attack roll vs. Ember Paw (1d20+7=17)

Fatigue power is DC 18 Fort save; failure makes him fatigued, failure by 5-9 makes him exhausted, failure by 10+ makes him unconscious. The power has the Sedation PF, so he'll stay out longer if he goes unconscious.

Initiative (24) / No Damage / Fatigued / 1HP

As Ember dug around the bin trying to find the origin of the chicken smell, He suddenly became aware of the fact that he was also now tired?

All of a sudden the images of what ember saw in the warehouse appeared to him, slowly Ember terned to face his assailant, a soft growl gargling in his throat.

Ember eyed Tabitha as flame's sparked from his front paws. His stomach growled in protest, forcing ember to quickly eye the bin next to him for food again.

Despite his hostile posturing Ember remained were he was, waiting for his attacker to make the next move...

• 3 weeks later...

Geckoman, High Note, and Quark. Thursday evening (Sept 25th), 5 days before the Delivery at Pier 18. Liberty Park, Parkside, Downtown Freedom.

The moon is a waning crescent, only 15% visible. 64 degrees, 20mph NE winds, and there's a light rain which has been pouring for the past two hours.

The trio arrived a few minutes before seven, but Terhune was already there, in the same dark suit, red tie, and wooden shoes. And an umbrella.

"Ah, hello, hello!," he said with a broad smile as he offered his hand to each. "You must be the 'professionals' mentioned by the young lad I met here earlier. Did he fill you in on our problem?"

They're all... kids! Well, hook 'em young, they say.

Tabitha Connely and Ember Paw, with Jos Terhune and Cyber-Goons watching on. Early Sunday morning (Sept 28th, around 2:00am), 2 days before the Delivery at Pier 18. The Fens, Downtown Freedom.

The moon is a waning crescent, only 1% visible. 69 degrees, 96% humidity, 4mph ESE winds, overcast.

Ember Paw, hungry and tied (though becoming less hungry now), faced down his whip-wielding assailant. Who was she? What exactly was her connection to Jos Terhune? Would he have a chance to find out?

High Note smiles at Terhune, a smile that seems to be laughing at him. Being in his costume seems to have eliminated the nervousness he felt earlier in the day. "Yes, these are my co-workers, as it were. I thought I should let you go into the specifics, but they certainly seemed interested in helping the people of Freedom." 'Or more accurately in solving the mystery of what the crap you're up to.'

Geckoman stepped forwards after High Note had finished, grasping the man's hand firmly. "Yeah, we just want to help out in the community. I'm Geckoman, may I inquire as to your name? After all, if I'm to help you with what seems to be troubling your good self, calling you sir repetitively could get a little awkward." He flashed the man a winning smile. Should I have shaken his hand? I mean, I don't know why he needs young teens for his scheme! Eeeeeeew!

Tabitha Connely and Ember Paw, with Jos Terhune and Cyber-Goons watching on. Early Sunday morning (Sept 28th, around 2:00am)

Ember looked about, He was tired and hungry, cornered and out gunned, all and all in it was turning out to be a bad night. He still had his key, he could alway's use it to escape, but something was keeping him here.

Ember stared tiredly at his assailant, his weary eye's watching her for any signs of movement. He had his spell's, he could use? but he had never used them before and he was a little hesitant to test them in the mids of passable combat.

Sighing Ember resigned himself, If he was lucky they wouldn't find the key, but even if they did it wouldn't take very long for his mother to mount a rescue if needed.

Slowly Ember backed down, and raised his hands in submission. Sometime's you have to give a little in order to gain a lot...

Geckoman, High Note, and Quark. Thursday evening (Sept 25th), 5 days before the Delivery at Pier 18. Liberty Park, Parkside, Downtown Freedom.

The moon is a waning crescent, only 15% visible. 64 degrees, 20mph NE winds, and there's a light rain which has been pouring for the past two hours.

The man firmly returned Geckoman's handshake, and held his hand out to the silvery Quark. "I am Jos Terhune, a somewhat humble shopkeep, though my shoppe is not yet open for business. But that is the problem: it appears the neighborhood I chose to move into has become somewhat infested with crime, in the form of a new gang starting up a 'protection racket,' kindly offering to protect us from any manner of trouble if we pay them a substantial monthly fee. My fellow shopkeeps are opposed to this, but when we went to the police they said they would look into it, but were swamped with other cases at the moment." He pulled his coat a bit closer as a sudden gust blew by, "I suspect that that is part of the reason this gang has popped up, because the police are overworked in dealing with some rather gruesome recent cases. On a more directly personal front, I am expecting a large shipment of goods for my shoppe to arrive in a few nights, on the 30th. I have a distinct feeling that the thugs who are behind this protection racket are going to try and either steal or destroy my goods, in order to 'prove' how 'dangerous' the area is."

A bit rude of that kid to not tell these kids what I wanted. Ah, well. Kids these days....

Tabitha Connely and Ember Paw, with Jos Terhune and Cyber-Goons watching on. Early Sunday morning (Sept 28th, around 2:00am), 2 days before the Delivery at Pier 18. The Fens, Downtown Freedom.

The moon is a waning crescent, only 1% visible. 69 degrees, 96% humidity, 4mph ESE winds, overcast.

"Surrendering, eh?," the whip-wielding woman said. "You may be smarter than you look. You can speak, can't you? If so, tell me, just what were you doing here? And don't lie, I'll know."

"No disrespect intended, y'know, but why hire some admittedly scrawny kids, and not some even bigger toughs? They'd probably be more of a deterrent than us. Not that we're not willing to do it, of course, I'm just curious." Man in park wants children! ALERT!

"I had not planned to hire 'scrawny kids,' but when that is the only type which responds to my call for help and shows any interest in providing some aid... well, I told you how the police responded, so I take whatever I can, Mister... Gecko-Man, was it?"

Self-deprecating, this one. Or is it a front?

Tabitha Connely and Ember Paw, with Jos Terhune and Cyber-Goons watching on. Early Sunday morning (Sept 28th, around 2:00am)Initiative (24) / No Damage / Fatigued / 1HP

Ember seem's to shrink a little at the woman's demands, nodding his head when she ask's if he can speak. Ember's ear's lay flat on his head, as his mind raced through what he could say, Until finally murmuring in a slightly Irish accent, "I work for Jos." Ember say's quietly, to afraid to to lie to the woman who obviously has some kind of mind reading power's as well....

Tabitha Connely and Ember Paw, with Jos Terhune and Cyber-Goons watching on.

"Really?," she purred, shifting her stance a bit to give him a good (and distracting) look. "Then I guess you wouldn't mind coming back with me to see him, would you? That wouldn't be a problem, would it? Or... or does he not know about your furry side?"

A low pitch growl escapes ember's throat before he could stop it. "I will come..." Ember resides. Although he was intimidated by Tabitha, Ember felt confident enough that he could use this situation to his advantage, and keep his cover with Jos.

"Smart lad," she said with a delectable smile. She cracked her whip before him, and a portal opened, headed back the way they came. "C'mon, let's see your master."

After a few jaunts -- Ember Paw could swear those portals smelled like sulfur, b.k.a. brimstone -- Ember and the woman were back at the building with Jos and the Cyber-Goons. Two of the goons stepped forward and aimed guns at the werefox.

Ha, she caught the Pup! I'm rather glad of that, too, now I can talk to him.

"Easy, boys, easy," Jos said, motioning for them to lower their weapons, "let us hear him out first."

"You know dis guy?" one of the goos asked, still keeping his gun trained on Ember.

"Not yet, but I have a feeling I will soon. I presume he can talk," he turned to Lady Iniquity,

"otherwise you would not have brought him here while conscious."

"You presume correctly," she replied, "though he also says he works for you."

Jos turned back to Ember Paw, "is that so? I unaware I had a... werefox in my employ."

Ember looks around timidly, avoiding eye contact with the goons. "I work for a mutual Acquaintance." Ember says turning his head slightly on an angle as he looked directly at Jos.

Darian nods along with the conversation, floating silently behind his two companions in an authoritative position, 'standing' with his legs straight together and his arms crossed. He is glad is face is covered by the quicksilver-like substance that only he can see through. Not only because it protects him from the rain, but it gives him time to study the man talking to the group to see if his intentions are for good or for more nerfarious purposes. Fortunately the man seems forthright.

Gordy smiles. So far this seemed to be working out ok. And his teachers said his impetuousness would get him into trouble. "So I suppose what remains if for you to explain just exactly what you would like us to do about these...extortionists. I mean, we can't very well go hunt them down and wail on them. I'm fairly certain that would be frowned upon. Do you know a specific time when they are coming back? That we could catch them actually doing something illegal?"

Jos withdraws his hand from Quark, and looks back to High Note, "the only times I know are when my shipment is to arrive, and when I am to pick it up. The ship should be arriving around noon next Monday, the 29th. I have been told it should take about six hours for it to clear customs, and I could pick it up then, which I plan to do."

That silvery kid's a bit stand-off-ish. Is the The Muscle of this trio?

Jos looked the fox-man over, and his artist's eye immediately noted a similarity between the patterns on its fur and certain patterns on Vulpes' book. "Ah, yes, of course: I should have realized this earlier. Well, I believe we are done here anyway, so unless you wished to get better acquainted with these fine men," he nodded towards the gun-wielding cyborgs, "I believe you should come back to my shoppe with me. My Lady," he turned and bowed slightly towards the whip-wielding woman, "might I call upon your services once more for transport back to my humble home?"

She had been keeping her eyes on Ember Paw almost the entire time, but nodded at Terhune's request, opening another hellfire-rimmed portal.

"After you, Mister Fox," Jos instructed, then turned back to the cyborgs and said something in the odd, harsh language. After they replied, he turned back and stepped through the portal.

Jos, Ember Paw and Lady Iniquity were all soon back at Terhune's shoppe in Riverside. Iniquity whispered something to Terhune, he nodded, then she was gone, leaving the werefox and the art appraiser (with cyborg mob connections) in the street.

"Sooo..." he started as he began to unlock his door, "who was it you said you worked for?"

Ember looked curiosly at Jos, before replying "Sirius." both glade and worried about that answer would bring. He was certanly happy that the woman had gone, but he really hoped Jos wouldn't put the two and two togeather to realize he was Sirius.

"I got you the ring." Sirius mutterd quietly not making eye contact with Jos. "I work for the Vulpes family, and so in exstention you." Ember says, still avoiding eye contact.

Jos withdraws his hand from Quark, and looks back to High Note, "the only times I know are when my shipment is to arrive, and when I am to pick it up. The ship should be arriving around noon next Monday, the 29th. I have been told it should take about six hours for it to clear customs, and I could pick it up then, which I plan to do."

"Six hours? Right, so you'll need us to keep an eye on this shipment all through customs, up until you collect it? Well, I suppose we could do three two-hour shifts, or each of us do two one-hour shifts... we'll figure something out anyway. Any trouble, we just call in the other two. This way, there's less chance of getting bored and inattentive, and we can still protect the shipment."

"Should we have it so that there are two of us on duty at all times? I mean I don't-that is to say wouldn't having more people give us more tactical options?" High Note tried hard not to show that he was nervous at the idea of actually doing planned out hero work. Most of the time trouble found him, and he didn't have time to panic at all about it. "I guess that doesn't need to be answered now. What's next? Find good hiding spots at the dock?"

"I was thinking in terms of attention span, although back-up would be a good idea. We could also get Quark to whip up some kind of video feed and we'll display it on my computer screen. That way we can monitor outside as well as inside, while staying close enough to be able to back each other up."

Jos shifts his umbrella from one hand to the other, and flexes the now-freed hand to work out some stiffness. "I do not mean to sound rude, but have any of you done this sort of thing before? A... I believe the term is 'stake out'?"

These kids have some tactical sense. Good: I wouldn't want to be spending all this time with a bunch of green wannabes.

Ember Paw & Jos Terhune. Early Sunday morning (Sept 28th, around 2:00am), 2 days before the Delivery at Pier 18. Jos's Home/Shoppe, Riverside, Downtown Freedom.

"Oh, really?," Terhune replied, a sly smile breaking across his face. "Should I have need of you, how would I go about claling you?"

I do believe Vulpes and I are going to need to have a little talk.