Delivery at Pier 18 [IC]

Tabitha Connely & Jos Terhune (and a snoopy Ember), at Mr. Terhune's home, midnight Sept 27th

Hearing the woman Lady Inquiry leaving, Ember quickly made a dash, as quietly as he could to a better hiding spot. Ember wasn't sure what game Jos was playing at, or why he wanted the assistance of this rather creepy lady, But ember had a strange feeling about the hole deal.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High Note & Shadow Man, the Thursday before (Sept 24th)

"That remains to be seen, young man," he replied, fairly coolly and with a noticeable but not readily identifiable foreign accent. "Terhune is the name, Jos (Yos) Terhune. I am a local businessman who is in the unenviable position of having attracted some trouble. I had sent out some 'feelers' into the heroic community, hoping for some Good Samaritan to come to my aid. I left note indicating that I would be in this park, at this time every day this week, wearing this outfit, so that a prospective protector could meet me on neutral territory. When I saw you and your friends over there," he nodded towards the other Claremonters, "I thought I had seen a few of them look my way, as if checking to see if I matched the description I gave in my little 'want ad'. I do apologize if I was mistaken and inadvertently caused any discomfort."

Took you long enough to take the bait, he thought. Now let's see how much you'll nibble.

Gordy give the man an incredulous stare. "O.K. let me get this straight. You come to the park, wearing an outfit that makes you stand out, and stare at teenagers? Do they not have Dateline in your country? Most people would count that as a bad idea." Gordy sighs and makes the ASL sign for 'whatever'(one of about 6 signs he knows). The man had said his name, and they were at the park. Probably is what he says he is. Still, Gordy saw no need to tip his hand as a powered individual. "Besides, what could be so bad that you're looking for free-lance heroes, but not going to the police or the League?"

High Note (and Shadow Man?), the Thursday before (Sept 24th)

"Dateline? That is some sort of dating programme? I am sorry, we do not have many of those in the Netherlands," he replies, looking quite serious. "As for why I am seeking freelance help: my problem is not so big as to require something of the Freedom League's caliber, and the police have already proven unhelpful. Probably in part because I am new in town, and they perhaps think I am overreacting, or that is is something I stepped into myself, or because they are too busy going after more serious problems."

"My problem, you see," he starts, then pauses to look around, then starts back, "is some rather disagreeable men who are starting up a, I believe the term is, 'protection racket.' They have been warning people in the area of troubles ahead if we do not pay them protection moneys. I am expecting some large shipments to arrive soon, for my shoppe, and I have a suspicion that they are going to try and either steal or destroy my incoming wares, to 'prove' how 'dangerous' the neighborhood is."

Tabitha Connely & Jos Terhune (and a snoopy Ember), at Mr. Terhune's home, midnight Sept 27th

Argh, get up, Jos, don't let her get away!

"Oh, well, er, that is," Terhune said as he rose lightning quick from his chair, "I mean, I could call some of my people now, they could likely get something set up very soon. There's really not much need to go somewhere if we'd only be meeting back up later tonight. You could stay here. Er, unless you have some pressing matters elsewhere."

Argh, I'm such a goof!

Geckoman & Quark, the Tuesday before (Sept 22nd)

The Geckoman sat himself down at his controls as the silver-skinned Darian floated in, letting the door come up behind him. He'd cleaned up a bit since the last visit, a couple of cupboards which looked like they came from a kitchen unit having been added to the back of the ship. He brought the ship up to a safe height, before resting his hands on the acceleration lever and pushing it forward hard. The ship flew high up and arched towards the pier.

"Got a superhero name? I mean, I can't call you Darian, can I?"

High Note (and Shadow Man?), the Thursday before (Sept 24th)

"Dateline? That is some sort of dating programme? I am sorry, we do not have many of those in the Netherlands," he replies, looking quite serious. "As for why I am seeking freelance help: my problem is not so big as to require something of the Freedom League's caliber, and the police have already proven unhelpful. Probably in part because I am new in town, and they perhaps think I am overreacting, or that is is something I stepped into myself, or because they are too busy going after more serious problems."

"My problem, you see," he starts, then pauses to look around, then starts back, "is some rather disagreeable men who are starting up a, I believe the term is, 'protection racket.' They have been warning people in the area of troubles ahead if we do not pay them protection moneys. I am expecting some large shipments to arrive soon, for my shoppe, and I have a suspicion that they are going to try and either steal or destroy my incoming wares, to 'prove' how 'dangerous' the neighborhood is."

"Sooooooo, you're trying to get people embroiled in a gang war? Which side are you, Sharks or Jets?" Gordy shakes his head. "Nevermind. That still doesn't fully explain why you keep staring at me and my friends. Actually, it doesn't even begin to explain that. Unless in...where ever you're from teenagers in a park tend to double as hired guns. Really, what makes you so willing to spill the beans to a 15 year old?"

"A superhero name," Darian echoes thoughtfully, "I have not given it much thought. Then again, I have not thought about being a superhero before." He floats around the ship in a pacing manner as it takes off, "Well, my parents have always had a nickname for me: Quark. It is the name of the smallest know subatomic particles. Then again, there may be smaller, string theory suggests," He stops to look to Chris, "So, yeah: Quark."

Tabitha stops at the door, one hand on the handle. She had to suppress a smile at how the man was practically stumbling over himself. Men are so predictable sometimes. "Well, if you insist," she says, "I suppose I could make myself comfortable here while you make arrangements." She takes off her trenchcoat, hanging it by the rack near the door, and then turns to face Terhune. "Perhaps I could get a tour of the house after you make your calls?"

"Well, my parents have always had a nickname for me: Quark. It is the name of the smallest know subatomic particles." He stops to look to Chris, "So, yeah: Quark."

"My parents used to call me Chuckles when I was little," mused Chris, steering down towards the Pier and bringing the ship in to water-land some distance from it, hopefully obscured by darkness.

"Right, we're going to have to fly to shore," he said, opening the hatch far enough to exit but not far enough to let water rush in. Pressing buttons on a holographic display at the back of the ship, a glowing board of light appeared underneath him and hovered up through the hatch and into the air. "Let's go kick ass and chew bubblegum!"

Hearing Tabitha change her mind, Ember stops in his tracks... 'will the's people make up there minds.' ember thinks to himself deciding to stay were he is for the time being. He was only a few meters from the house, hiding behind a nearby tree.

Ember knew it was risky staying, but something bothered him, This new comer could be a threat to his deal with Mr. Terhune and Ember couldn't let that happen, he needed Terhune's skills in decoding the book, and unlocking the power of the Fox Fire. Ember stood there staring at the house from around the tree, Perhapes he could get something on the both of them, something that would insure Mr. Terhunes continued expertises...

Geckoman & Quark, the Tuesday evening before (Sept 22nd), the Riverside Piers

Geckoman and the newly-christened Quark arrive at Pier 18, and find... that things look fairly normal for a Freedom City pier on a Tuesday evening. Three ships are docked, but no one appears to be going in or out of them.

High Note (and Shadow Man?), the Thursday before (Sept 24th), Riverside Park

"Gang war? Only if you consider the people who live and work in my neighborhood to be a gang of their own. No, this is more like a group of bullies trying to intimidate others." The last bit was spoken with noted distaste.

Not the whole truth, but close enough.

"As for why I have been staring at you and your friends, well, some of them seem to be, shall we say, a bit more human than human? That one, there," he points to one of her schoolmates, "seems to be wearing heavy make-up to mask his natural cerulean skin tone, though his activity is making him sweat some of it off. And that one, there," he points to another, "keeps trying not to fly while intercepting those long throws of the football, while that one there uses some sort of invisible blade from his fingertips to cut a pair of initials into that tree." He turns back to Gordy, "I am an art appraiser by profession, so a keen eye is one of my strong suits. As is being able to size up a person, and you appear to be both trustworthy and interested in helping those who have... problems."

Tabitha Connely & Jos Terhune (and a snoopy Ember), midnight Sept 27th, at Mr. Terhune's home

Ohhh yeah... oh, crap!

Terhune is silent a moment as he gets an eyeful of Tabitha's revealing red costume. "Er, yes, well, that is, I'd be happy to show you around, but as you can see," he gestures towards the piles in the living room, "the place is still quite a mess. I had arranged to buy it from the previous owners, and I wound up 'inheriting' all their furniture as well. In fact, when you knocked, I had just finished hauling the last of my own belongings upstairs."

Yeah, real shame how those previous owners had to leave so suddenly.

He continued to talk as he dashed to the kitchen, then dashed back with a cellphone. "It shouldn't take long, and Kaars keeps late hours anyway." He dialed, but for the entire conversation spoke in another language. For the most part, the tone was cordial yet professional, like two long-time business partners. After a few minutes the call ended. "We're in luck, Ansel said he should be able to have something for us in an hour. He'll call me back in fifteen minutes to confirm."

Notes in OOC thread for all.

The Geckoman landed on the pier, hoverboard dissipating beneath his feet. "Alright, I should be able to try and lead us to where I overheard these guys, and track them down by smelling the testosterone and cheap aftershave. It'll linger in my tubes for days, but that's a sacrifice I suppose I'll have to make. Now, follow me and we'll try to keep low-key for now. Well, low-key for a silver dude and a guy in lurid green. At least we don't have capes."

He wandered off trying to find where he'd overheard that conversation.

Tabitha Connely & Jos Terhune (and a snoopy Ember), midnight Sept 27th, at Mr. Terhune's home

Tabitha looks around the house and makes pleasant but professional conversation with Terhune until the call from Ansel comes in. She catches his eyes taking in her costume more than once, and not for the first time questions her choice to use such a revealing outfit. Sure, she had never shied away from taking advantage of her looks to advance her career in the past, but it had always been much more... subtle. Ultimately, she assures herself it was the right choice - after all, she is supposed to represent sin, so best to appear the part. Besides, when she inevitably faces up to some real opposition, this costume might just cause them to make the mistake of dismissing her as a real threat.

Still, Tabitha couldn't help but be a little relieved when the call came in, and she is able to put her coat back on as they prepared to meet Ansel and his men.

OOC: (PM coming your way, Dr A.)

'Quark' follows 'Geckoman' closely. When Quatk lands, he is once again reminded of the job he saw on Oddjobs.com and how this is in the exact area it mentioned. "Chris, er, Geckoman, I must be forward with you. I read something about this on the internet, but it was supposed to be set for next week. Did you happen to see a businessman in a black suit with a red tie and yellow wooden shoes?"

"Yep, know it's a week ahead. I just wanted to go interrogate the gang with some back-up, rather than get stabbed trying to do it alone. Didn't see a man with funny shoes, just some toughs. Maybe they could be linked to him in some way," mused the Geckoman, as they arrived at the spot he'd seen the gang. He crouched low and sniffed the ground. "Oh yeah! Cheap aftershave! Mmm-hmm. Beautiful. Let's see if I can follow it back to these guys."

Ember stayed silent as he hid behind the tree, Ears honed in on the house. It wasn't exactly what he had planed on doing tonight, but event's here were interesting enough to keep him there. Hopefully something would happen soon though, as much as Ember was curios, he was getting tired of crouching in the same position.

Geckoman's keen nose picks up three distinct scents, going off in three distinct directions. One has a noticeable tang of metal and oil and plastic, vaguely similar to Quark. One smells heavily of incenses and... dogs? Something canine-ish. The third also has an incense-y smell, and the mouldy scent of old books.

Tabitha Connely & Jos Terhune (and a snoopy Ember), 12:15am Sept 28th, at Mr. Terhune's home

Terhune's phone rings at the appointed time. He speaks in that other language again, then hangs up and walks over to a closet. "That was Kaars, he'll have something for us by the time we meet him in the Fens." He retrieved an old trench coat for himself, and, seeing Tabitah had put her own coat back on, opened the door for her. "By the way, I don't suppose you drove over, did you? My car's in the shoppe."

And by 'shoppe,' I mean 'dealer,' since I don't have one. Anyway, let's see what you can do, girly.

Tabitha Connely & Jos Terhune (and a snoopy Ember), 12:15am Sept 28th, at Mr. Terhune's home

Tabitha smiles wickedly. "Well, since this is supposed to be a demonstration of my powers..."

She walks out into the street, followed by Mr Terhune. She looks around for a moment until she sees what she's looking for; a relatively tall building nearby with a flat roof. She then moves around the corner so as not to be in easy view of any passers-by, and once she looks around to make sure no one's watching, she produces, seemingly from nowhere, a large, vicious looking whip that practically radiates malice. She twirls the whip over her head a few ties, and then cracks it on the ground just in front of her. In the spot where the whip struck, a glowing red, oval portal opens up.

"Shall we?"

The portal leads to the roof of the building she had spotted earlier. From there, she opens another portal that leads to the rooftop of a building that could be seen from where they were, but is much father to the west, heading toward the Fens. She repeats this process two or three more times, moving the three or four miles between the Waterfront and the Fens in less than a minute. On their final leg, Tabitha gets the address of their destination from Mr Terhune, and the final portal opens up in a discreet location a short distance from the meeting point.

"Oh, crap. We've been spotted" "Look, I don't know what you think you see, but trust me you didn't see it. And you definitely aren't going to talk about it in the middle of a public park. Understand? Now I don't know who or what you think I am, but maybe I can put in a few calls to some people I know in the costume business. They usually hang out here around sundown."

"Oh, I'm gonna get in trouble for this one. And I am going to yell like never before when I find out who's cutting trees."

Ember Panics slightly as the two leave the house, but quickly remains calm. Hiding as silently as he can, he easily blends into the shadows and avoids Tabitha's quick search.

Ember is than dismayed when he see's the two of them begin to teleport away, That was going to make his job much harder. Using his full speed and jumping ability, Ember begins to give chase to Tabitha and Jos, attempting to keep them within eye shot with every jump they make....

Geckoman's keen nose picks up three distinct scents, going off in three distinct directions. One has a noticeable tang of metal and oil and plastic, vaguely similar to Quark. One smells heavily of incenses and... dogs? Something canine-ish. The third also has an incense-y smell, and the mouldy scent of old books.

"Right, Quarky-boy, we've got three smells going off in three directions," said the Geckoman, sniffing the ground pensively. One smells similar to you, so I'm not going to follow it in case I am actually sniffing you. Nice deodorant, by the way." He spun a bit. "Incense and books? Hippy? Pah, don't want to talk to a hippy." He pointed in the direction the final smell seemed to be going off in. "Well, it's more incense, but it has a doggy odour. I like dogs. Let's follow the smell of dogs!" announced Chris, standing and pointing dramatically into the air.

Geckoman leads Quark down numerous streets, mostly alleys, and before he knows it realizes that they've walked nearly a mile and have left Riverside, and are now in the Theatre District. The trail continues on, a bit stronger now, despite the smells of assorted theatre-goers and the lingering smell of smoke from a house which burned down some days ago.

High Note (and Shadow Man?) and Jos, the Thursday before (Sept 24th), Riverside Park

Is Pride one of your sins? Let's see....

Jos seemed to perk up at Gordy's words, "Ah, that would be most helpful, young man. I was hoping you and your friends might know some 'professionals' who could help us with our problem. I would not want any inexperienced would-be heroes getting hurt because of me. They would be by tonight, you say? Around what time?"

Tabitha Connely & Jos Terhune (and a snoopy Ember), 1:00am Sept 28th, at the Fens

Wheee!!!

Jos was, despite himself, grinning like a school boy as he & Tabitha traveled. "I must say, madame, I was not expecting this! Most exhilarating!"

Soon they arrive at the pre-determined spot, an unmarked gray van parked next to some abandoned buildings with boarded-up windows. Next to it stand two men in what look like 1920s style gangster outfits: fedoras, pinstriped suits, shiny shoes, Tommy guns. A closer look revealed obvious bionic augmentation: their metal limbs faintly glistened in the weak street lights, one had a constantly-twitching bionic eye and the other had a smell satellite dish in place of his ear. They were startled by Tabitha's appearance, but calmed once they realized Terhune was with them. They greeted each other in the same non-English language Jos had used on the phone, then were lead into one of the buildings.

Inside six more of the cyber-gangsters milled about what was effectively one large room, as much of the interior walls had been knocked out. In the middle was a large circle of tall construction lights shining inward, connected to some portable generators. Inside the circle were a few men and women, all in loose clothing and sporting numerous cuts and scrapes and bruises. None seemed happy to be here, but none seemed prepared to make a break for it, either.

One of the cyber-gangsters walked over to Tabitha and Jos. He had a coat draped over him an was smoking a fat stogie. He gave Jos a great bear hug and kissed him three times, left cheek, right cheek, left cheek again. They exchanged some pleasantries -- the cyborg spoke in a bigger-than-life boom, filtered through some sort of electronic speech synthesizer -- from which Tabitha could work out that this was Kaars. It was not long before Kaars noticed Tabitha and drank her appearance in with hungry eyes; the bionic left one twitched especially as it shifted focus on different parts of her.

Brief introductions were made by Terhune, in which Kaars tried to lay a sloppy kiss on Tabitha's hand. Terhune then looked to Tabitha, "Kaars has arranged for these men to be your 'guinea pigs,' so let us see what you can do."

She suddenly became aware that five of the cyber-gangster were looking at her, and two of them had weapons trained on her. Seems they were prepared to take action in case she turned out to be some sort of Good Samaritan.

[[ There are as many mooks in the circle as you want/need for Iniquity's demonstration. ]]

Tabitha Connely & Jos Terhune (and a snoopy Ember), 1:00am Sept 28th, at the Fens

Ember grow's slightly, as he attempts to stay hidden from view. The thugs, and the building made his job more difficult. His hearing might be good, but it wasn't that good. Ember decides to do some recon around the building to see if he can find a vantage point to spy on Jos and Tabitha.

Gordy's actors instincts(and the knowledge that he used the easiest code ever to break) allow him to smirk and play along with the weirdo. If you didn't want a would be, then mister did you end up landing the wrong fish.

"No of course not. Someone could be hurt. Best leave it to the costumes. They train for this after all. I doubt they'd ever throw themselves into a situation head first unless they knew all of the details. But as I said, they tend to be here at around sundown. Lets say...7 o'clock. You really do need to listen Mr. Jos. The guy I know doesn't like having to repeat himself."

Tabitha Connely, Jos Terhune, Ansel Kaars and his gang (and a snoopy Ember), 1:00am Sept 28th, at the Fens

Tabitha slowly scans the warehouse, taking in Kaars and his men as well as the ‘volunteers’.

“Yes, this will do nicely,†she says with a sinister chuckle.

“I’m afraid I won’t be able to display the full range of my abilities,†she says as she slowly circles the group of homeless men and women. “Some of my powers would affect everyone in the building, and as I have already said to Mr. Terhune, assaulting a prospective employer or ally is never good business. Besides, a woman never gives it all up on the first date, hmm?â€Â

She looks over at Jos Terhune. “As I have told you, my powers evoke the Seven Deadly Sins. Let’s start with Pride.†She walks over to one of the homeless, a small, sickly looking man. “You don’t want to be here, do you?†The man shakes his head, nervously.

“So why don’t you do something about it?†she asks. As she speaks, her yellow eyes glow for a moment. The man looks at her, wide eyed, and then looks around and glares at Kaars.

“You’re right!†he says, in a tone of bravado that one would not expect. “I’m the only one here who can!†Stand back, everyone, while I take care of these mobsters!â€Â

The man then charges Kaars, screaming. Of course, he doesn’t make it very far.

“As you can see, sometimes Pride can be misplaced.†She whirls on the now frightened mob of homeless. “But the sin of Sloth is more straightforward.â€Â

Lady Iniquity points at a young woman, and her eyes flash again. The woman falls asleep standing up, crumpling to the warehouse floor.

“Wrath, too, is simple and direct, and has the advantage of being a sin that others can easily get caught up in.†She turns to face another homeless man, standing next to a woman who is obviously a close friend or partner. “You two,†Lady Iniquity purrs, “how do you feel about the police?â€Â

“I got no problem with them,†the man says.

“Wish there were some here now,†mutters the woman.

“Are you sure?†Lady Iniquity asks, staring at the man as her eyes flash.

The man’s face suddenly contorts in rage. “No, I f*ucking hate the pigs!†he shouts.

“You should show them how much you hate them,†Lady Iniquity says. She motions to Kaars’ men, indicating they should allow the two to leave. The enraged man’s partner looks bewildered by her companion’s sudden change of heart.

“Come on!†the angry man shouts, grabbing the woman’s arm, “Let’s go bust some cop skulls!â€Â

As soon as the man grabs on, the woman’s perplexed look is replaced by rage, and the two of them run out of the warehouse. Lady Iniquity smiles.

“It will be interesting to see just how many people get caught up in Wrath. I’ll be disappointed if I don’t hear about at least a small riot in the morning news.â€Â

She returns to circling the now smaller pack of victims, stalking them like a predator. She walks up and puts her arm around the shoulders of a middle-aged woman, tears streaking her face. “You poor dear,†she says, “you must be hungry.†The woman shakes her head.

“Are you certain?â€Â

A ravenous look suddenly fills the woman’s eyes. “God, I’m so hungry,†she moans. “Please, I need to eat!â€Â

“Of course, dear. But I’m afraid that calling to have a pizza delivered would be quite out of the question. We shall have to improvise. Perhaps over there?†Lady Iniquity points toward an old, rusty garbage bin in the corner. The woman rushes over and begins pawing through it, stuffing anything even remotely food-like into her mouth.

“Gluttony, a sin that is all too familiar to most Americans, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, Mr Kaars.â€Â

Lady Iniquity turns to regard the five men remaining. She’s deliberately chosen to save these five for last, as they were all larger men who looked as though they’d been in fights in the past, whose eyes said that they had no problem solving problems with their fists.

“I know that none of you asked to be here,†she says. “And I’m not entirely cruel. Since my little demonstration is done, I want to reward you.†She holds out her hands, and a small ingot of gold appears there. She sets it down on top of a crate, letting it drop slightly so they can all see that it has real weight.

“Unfortunately, I only have enough for one,†she says. “I’ll leave it up to you to decide who gets it.â€Â

She walks away, heading for Jos Terhune and Ansel Kaars. It only takes a moment for the sounds of fighting to break out behind her.

“Greed,†she says simply, “one of my favorites, because it’s one of my powers that does not alter their minds. What you see behind you is entirely a product of their own twisted, sinful souls. And before you ask, the gold is quite real, but remains in this plane of existence for only a short while.

“Obviously, I have left out Lust and Envy – allow me to help you with your delivery problem, and you may get a chance to see them.â€Â

Behind her, one of the men fighting over the gold suddenly looks her way. It occurs to him that if the woman in the red getup had that gold, she might be able to get her hands on more. Wiping blood from his face, he turned and began to advance on her, hoping to grab her from behind.

When he got within a few feet, Lady Iniquity’s hand dropped to her hips, and she unfurled her whip. With a sound like the screaming of damned souls, it lashed out, striking the man in the chest. He falls to the ground, a bloody hole in his chest.

“And as you can see,†Lady Iniquity says casually, coiling her whip, “I can take care of things in a more direct manner if the occasion calls.â€Â