"Jenny," Natalia greeted, in about as respectful a tone as most had ever heard her use; she was still standing on the wall, though the siren song of pizza was enough to get her to start walking her way back down to ground level. "No beer, no wine. How very law-abiding. Though, probably for the best - if Ryder ever drinks I want a recording for blackmail, and blackmail's only good if only I have it."

Going too near the floor would mean bringing her face too near the floor, and that was clearly unacceptable; she hopped off instead, drifting the rest of the way to the ground. "As for music," she deadpanned, "we'll have to be careful, since our supply of music is clearly limited and we only get one shot at this." She held the flat expression long enough to grab a slice of pizza, then paused. "Or," she said, looking up with an entirely artificial sense of discovery, "we could just start playing random samples of music and ask the ghost what they like, since this is all supposedly for their benefit."

She leaned slightly toward Jenny. "There's a ghost," she said, biting into her pizza as if the rest was self-explanatory.

• 1 month later...

"<You're welcome,>" Jenny replied to Neko in Japanese that was significantly better than Ryder's if still heavily accented before following the teens' attention upward. "Huh. Painting ghost," she hummed to Natalia, putting her hands on her hips and squinting slightly.

"Oh sure, her you believe." Ryder made sure everyone in their group had taken care of themselves once food arrived then placed a litre bottle of pop and a slice of pizza on a paper plate on the lectern under the wall where they'd first noticed the moving painting. Only then did he grab anything for himself. He stuck his tongue out at his sister while walking back toward the middle of the church and opening a canned drink.

Jenny nodded, unbothered. "Sure. Nat would have come up with a way better lie than that."

The younger sibling accepted that logic with a bemused shrug before returning to the situation. "Step one 'food' is check! We could definitely try some different music but they seem kinda skittish? I'd say, like, gospel music but they were head banging pretty hard to Eira's playlist." He set his drink down on a damaged pew and set to tapping away at his phone with both hands. "Lemme see if I can find some heavy metal with choir vocals! Y'know, some real goth stuff."

• 1 month later...

It wound up taking several hours of experimentation for the teens to figure out the 'rules' of their new friend. She (and she was always a 'she', manifesting usually as some sort of saintly religious figure or nun in the various paintings and icons she could move around in) could travel inside any image but seemed reluctant to hop out of her home in the church into anything unfamiliar. She couldn't communicate with them verbally but could clearly hear them, and especially seemed to like music, loud, emotional music of any character. The overall effect of the latter was a bit like a long-deprived person given access to a banquet. She wasn't seemingly interested in the food; but she did smile and point at it, licking her lips like someone miming 'hunger'. She wasn't actually limited to the nave of the church, and could travel anywhere, even into the still-present graffiti in the other parts of the building. 

She could move things around inside the paintings, but didn't seem to be able to pull up a written parchment with a message written for them or anything like that. Finally, she seemed to hit on an idea and disappeared entirely for a while, until luckily Neko and Owain's ability to track and sense magic let the whole merry group find their friend inside a dusty, previously-locked room that must have been the church's daycare center. 

The 'nun' was here: standing next to a faded picture on the walls of a teacher next to the English alphabet made of building blocks. Moving the letters around, she shaped out 

WILYOUVEHRNW? 

and gave them a worried look, her face half-visible in the gloom of the poorly-lit room. 

"Oh, that's pretty clever," Jenny observed quietly from the doorway to the daycare, watching the proceedings with interest but staying back and out of the way of the teenagers, content to be an observer so long as there didn't appear to be any immediate danger to her brother or his friends.

"Wuloovhernwuh?" Ryder tried to sound out the jumble of letters. "Wait, you've only got one of each letter, sure! Upsidedown 'M' gives you a second 'W' but still... 'Will you live here now?' Is that right?" He looked up to the yellowing picture for confirmation a moment before his eyes went wide with larger comprehension. "Oh! Oh! Duh, it's not about 'offerings' it's like how people like to eat in groups and at restaurants and stuff because the community and the conversation is part of what makes the food a, y'know, a meal." The young man brought both hands to his chest to illustrate what he was getting at to his classmates, his words gradually picking up speed as his excitement grew. "So if you needed music and art and people and maybe belief, like that was your 'food' then a church would be the perfect home, yeah?" He turned back to the wall and his expression fell, the vibrating energy leaving him as quickly as it had built up. "But when the congregation left you couldn't go with them?"

Multigirl

Bernadette took part in the group’s experiment on what this unusual spirit might like in terms of "food," while some of her duplicates continued working on cleaning other parts of the church. While Ryder had numerous songs he could play on Cyan, the Irish teenager also took up sing some songs as well, covering a wide range of musical genres with songs ranging from "Down To The River To Pray" (with a small choir of duplicates) to "Bad Reputation" (with Cyan providing the musical accompaniment).

The redhead and a couple of her duplicates followed after the group when they traced the spirit to the old daycare center. When Ryder deciphered the message the spirit asked of them, a sad look came to Bernadette’s face as she thought about the spirit once again being left without anyone to provide it what it needed.

"Sadly we won' be livin' here." The Irish teen stated to the "nun" in the faded picture of the alphabet. "We have ta be goin' back ta our school."

"But we can come back an' visit!" Stated one of her duplicates.

"That's right." Bernadette said with a nod. "An' this place is goin' ta become a skate park an' community center, so there should be plenty of people an' music comin' back to here."

"With your consent," Natalia added, slowly, "we could probably find someone who could...help." She wanted to lean against the doorframe. The doorframe was probably filthy. She did not lean against the doorframe. "Someone who might know what you are better than we do, without wanting to kick you out. It wouldn't hurt for someone to know you're here in case you need assistance. It's a thought, anyway."

"Better a quality expert than...I don't even know." She traced a dismissive finger through the air at shoulder height. "Idiots with little boxes of dubious ghost-hunting science, or old men with incense and twenty pages of spirit-be-gone apocrypha."

THANKYOU said the nun again, smiling where she stood.

"Sister," said Owain softly as he stroked what was surely going to be a fine mustache if he held off from shaving for a while, "do you have a name?" 

The letters rearranged, and then 

FRIEND? 

For her part, Neko was over in the corner with a pencil, carefully scratching more English letters into the wall. "Graffiti," she said with a little shrug. "to help." She mouthed ABCD as she went, just to make sure she didn't miss any. 

"There are enchanters in this realm who know the guarding of spirits, Sister Friend," said Owain to the wall, then to this realm. "We can keep Friend safe; and ensure she has a home full of light and music."

At those words, Friend turned to Ryder and waved her hands hopefully.  

"Totally, big fan of looping in folks with expertise and specialized knowledge," Ryder agreed, using both hands to give Natalia and Owain thumbs ups simultaneously. "Just, y'know, let's also make sure one of us is around for that because I also low-key distrust establishment figures where community spaces and real estate are concerned, yeah?" That admission of suspicion didn't seem to diminish his upbeat positivity in the slightest and from the doorway his sister nodded sagely in silent agreement.

He snapped his fingers and pointed in Neko's direction enthusiastically as he saw what she was writing, jubilantly repeating, "Graffiti! Oh, do I ever know some people for that. Friend, we can go wall-to-wall with the art! I'm seeing, like, reclamation of religious iconography for body positivity, self expression, that sort of thing and obviously I go in for those high contrast sprays but you have to give people choices--" Ryder clapped his hands over his head and literally jumped in excitement. His grin widened as an idea took shape. "Oh, oh yeah. This room, add some baffling, curtains, refit the electrics. We'll have to work out a way for you to curate a song list, Friend because I'm gonna build you a karaoke machine with just an obscene  sound system."

• 2 weeks later...

"It's a plan, then," said Natalia, who was rarely enthusiastic about anything, but was slightly less un-enthusiastic than usual. "An expert for Friend, someone nearby to make them disappear if they try to harm Friend or the building, and a noise machine that will almost definitely not explode or break anyone's arms. And, hopefully, a plan to sustainably pay for it all - but that's a problem for later."

The latter thought was dismissed with a wave, which disturbed some dust, which elicited a small sneeze. "...and none of it's likely to happen if we can't at least mostly clean this place up," she added, wrinkling her nose. "I suppose that's why we were here in the first place. Though I do want to talk to you afterwards, Cricket." It sounded like an afterthought, but Natalia's eyes on Ryder were...appraising. "If you have the time."

• 3 weeks later...

They all went back to work - and some of them sang. Neko taught them all a 'grinding song' that she had sung on her family farm when she was very small and the world was so big, in a dialect so old that even Ryder could only follow a little of it. She obviously was a very talented, albeit untrained, singer, and more than able to work and sing at the same time. Owain's taste in music was perhaps a little more recent, a Gilbert and Sullivan number he'd picked up during the Second World War, one he sang with great enthusiasm albeit relatively little skill. 

Friend appeared occasionally as they worked, seemingly free to express herself now that she knew these were indeed friends. Actually getting magical expertise on the scene took some debate about exactly who to call; Owain took the position that obviously Phantom or Ouroborous were the right people to consult, since they were the leaders of the magical community in Freedom City and quite wise, even if the former was put in the position of enforcing the laws of magic "as any sensible leader would". Neko had little to say on that particular subject, only to stress that they must be careful which adults they named as Friend's ally. "A picture that lives will have --- power." 

"Might get Tori's opinion first," Ryder suggested on the topic of mystical authorities. "She'd be more clued in about magic people with, like, pedigree or credentials or whatever. Ouroboros seems like a good place to start to me, though!" He made a point to encourage both Neko and Owain's singing above and beyond even his usual baseline enthusiasm and asked the Robugs to check in on El and the Bernadettes periodically to make sure everyone had whatever they needed. There was still so much to get done and he wanted to pull his own weight while also making sure everyone was organized and supported.

His sister caught him as he'd finished filling another bag with debris and was looking around for his next task. "I know you like to get lost in a project but it's not like you to stall," Jenny observed, reaching over to pluck the push broom from Ryder's hands before he could object.

The younger Fujioka opened his mouth to feign confusion then slowly closed it again, running a hand through his tousled strawberry blond hair and letting out a slow breath. "...any advice?"

Jenny considered for a moment then shrugged. "Don't @#$% up, I guess." 

Ryder pursed his lips and leaned backward with exaggerated exasperation, far enough that his torso was parallel with the floor and he was staring up at one of Friend's paintings on a curved section of the ceiling. "Great. Awesome. Very helpful." Straightening back up he stuck his tongue out at her before his attempt at annoyance dissolved into an amused grin and he returned the shrug. Jogging across the length of the old church he waved a hand over his head. "Hey, Nat! You wanted to talk about something, yeah?"

Natalia took a moment to finish compressing a collection of dirt and garbage into a neat little garbage sphere, dismissing it with a wave to join its fellows like a small collection of odious basket balls.

"I did, Cricket," she said. She was choosing her words carefully - her well-practiced neutral American English accent was neutral-er than normal. "I was wondering if, this afternoon or another, you might like to watch a movie with me, and then get coffee or a dinner - depending on the timing." She turned to look at him, mostly impassive - she'd folded her hands behind her back, and seemed less nervous than carefully appraising. "As a date, specifically. I am asking you on a date."

Ryder hooked his thumbs into the belt loops of his overalls and let out a long breath, almost a whistle. "I mean obviously we agree that I'd be a fool to say no. By any reasonable estimation you're catastrophically out of my league," he estimated with a serious tone that might have been interpreted as a teasing impression of Natalia's cool appraisal. "But are you sure you're up for it? Like, I'm probably going to end up saying some pretty genuine and heartfelt stuff about how your outfits are all fantastic and how I really admire your commitment to your personal principles and how you're incredibly fun to spend time with. And I'm probably going to take the opportunity to get to know you on a deeper, more meaningful level, the better to support and cherish you." He shook his head and gave her an exaggerated grimace. "I may even try to hold your hand at some point. People might get the impression we like each other. It's a pretty dangerous proposition."

To her credit, Natalia's expression didn't change...merely her complexion. "...thank you. One step at a time, Cricket," she said, turning slightly pink at the edges. "A date first, then we see if you've earned hand-holding, and we'll see how heartfelt things get from there. I recommend saving the cherishing until after you've decided if you can put up with my scathing affections," she added, waving a hand as if dismissing a bad idea. She had not yet turned back to not-pink. "If what I really wanted was immediate fawning, I'd have wrapped a couple freshmen around my finger."

She paused, hand freezing in the air before turning an accusatory finger Ryder's way. "On which note, let it not be said that you're so far beneath me. I am a high bar, Cricket, but I have a reputation to maintain and it won't do to have people thinking I've lowered myself too much. Once in a while, at least try to remember that you're a handsome teenage genius with a good heart and a strong will, it'll do you some good."

Across the room, Neko giggled discreetly, putting a hand over her mouth, as she listened to Ryder and Natalia flirt. She caught Owain's eye, sweeping alongside her, and flicked her eyes over at their two friends. "It's enviable; they are so graceful; when cats cross in love," she quoted Ochi Etsujin from memory in a low whisper.

Owain blinked a few times and realized that while he didn't get it, he got it. "Oh, I see! Well, that's only fitting, his sister is here. And a high time too, I saw the way those two looked at each other. No doubt he will introduce her to his father when the chance arrives." It was a shame Ryder's mother wasn't there to be part of such a courtship. 

"I don't think it will be...that," said Neko considering her words carefully. "But it is a fine thing." She considered what the Espadases would do on such an occasion, then carefully put her fingers between her lips and blew as loud a whistle as she could. When Ryder and Nat looked their way, she winked at them with one over-large cat's eye, then went back to her sweeping. 

"No fawning," Ryder recited, miming taking notes with a phantom pen on an imaginary pad of paper, "parenthesis yet question mark close parenthesis. See, this is good, actionable feedback already. But also, uh, y'know. Thanks." A little colour rose in his own cheeks when Neko whistled and he gave her a little half-wave and a dimpled smile back. "Ha, literal catcall. Gotta see if she'll teach me to do that finger whistle thing, that's classic." 

He glanced back toward Nat then off toward one of the better preserved paintings in the church, lowering his voice enough that it wouldn't carry so well to the other teenagers. "Not knowing what I'm doing generally doesn't worry me on account of that handsome willpower stuff you said but messing anything up with you is weirdly way scarier than just breaking another limb or whatever so you'll tell me if I'm being, like, a lot or just oblivious, right?"

Natalia did not deign to turn all the way around to look at Neko; once it became clear what she was after, she graced the cat with a rude but malice-less gesture. It was, at least, a moment with which to compose herself. "Don't worry, Cricket," she said, putting a hand on Ryder's shoulder. Her expression was less comforting than the gesture was. "Being scared is a good start. We'll build from that."

There was probably humor buried under there somewhere; she almost but not quite lost her customary bored scowl. "If nothing else, I'm sure you know I can be depended on to share my critique. Do return the favor, though - I am...unaccustomed to intimacy, and having clearly lost my mind I think I trust you to let me know if I've crossed a line somewhere."