A Gathering of Mages

Effigy (with Artificer and Oz)

“Tch.” Wilona dismissed her fireball with a snort of annoyance. Diplomacy was the way, this time? What a pain in the ass. She took the device from…she did not get his name yet. “Name’s Effigy.” It didn’t look too hard to activate, so she did it. Why didn’t she let Artificer take it? They were teammates. He was many things, but socially adept? Not really, no. Not that she held any illusions about being some master diplomat or conwoman. But she was good at scaring people into needing a change of underpants. Tch, and maybe not threaten it with personal violence this time, dang it. She let the fireball recollect in her right hand, with more power than before. “This weird guy says you can understand me now, Parkhurst. Well then, listen up! You’re trying to protect us. I get it. Evil Zombie Lady. Very powerful.” She let more and more of her magical fire power fill her hand, up to the limits of her ability to control it. Heat wafted off her right arm in waves. It looked like her whole arm was on fire, burning like it had been soaked in gasoline. “But here’s the thing. The Master Mage is in the building. I’m not some powerless bystander. Artificer here is a badass, and this other guy probably doesn’t suck. We don’t need protection from the Carrion Queen. The Carrion Queen needs protection from us!” Okay, all that fire was starting to hurt, but she had to finish strong. “So you’ve got two choices. Get outta our way and we kick her ass. Or we go through you and then kick her ass. What’s it gonna be, Parkhurst?” Meant not to threaten with violence, dang it. Eh, screw it.

Invisigirl (with Veronica and Masque, Kitchen)

Naomi nodded sharply. Masque got it. Art was life. Especially since she wasn’t so good with words. She dug around in her bodysuit’s pockets and found half of a chocolate bar. Wordlessly, she handed it to Masque in thanks for her understanding. But then Veronica was talking, and Naomi didn’t miss a word. No matter what her spaced expression communicated. She slowly smiled, and abruptly she, Veronica, and Masque turned invisible. Well. Naomi could see them just fine. And then she turned her power off. She stretched out a hand at the nearest door, and invisible force opened it. Maybe a bit too roughly. “Sorry, Parkhurst.” She smiled angelically. Hopefully she had communicated well.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackstaff

Basement - Blackstaff, Cait-Sith and Ouroboros

Blackstaff nodded at Ouroboros’ suggestion that the hotel shifting them around was merely a side effect of its attempt to contain the Carrion Queen.

“You’re right, that’s just as possible.”

He agreed as he followed the Gatekeeper around the clutter of the room.

“I’m afraid my knowledge of the hotel is limited. I know it’s been home to many supernatural forces and that those forces have saturated it, giving it a force of its own. But the finer points of its history escape me.”

He paused as they stopped in front of the locked door. He started to reach for his key but stopped at Ouroboros’ comment about the hotel perceiving them as a threat if attacked.

“Best not to use magic against the hotel directly for now then.”

He watched as the young man made quick work of the lock and nodded approvingly.

“It’s been a long time since I could open a lock that easily. Just don’t tell anyone.”

He joked.

“They might suspend PI license.”

He regarded Simon.

“Come to think of it, proper introductions haven’t been made. My name is Christopher Daye, but I suppose if you want to be heroic about it people sometimes call me Blackstaff. Can’t imagine why though.”

He gave Simon a joking smile and tapped the end of the black wood staff on the floor.

Looking back at Ouroboros again he offed his hand.

“You, I only know by reputation. It’s a pleasure to meet the Gatekeeper.”

Oz (Corridor; With Artificer and Effigy)

"a pleasure, I'm Oswald Zeppelius; Oz for short." he said in his usual pleasant tone "I wish we'd been introduced under better circumstances my young friends."

He watched with interest as effigy took the patternoscope and spoke to the spirit of the Parkhurst with gusto; Who was he to tell anyone what or how to do things after all?

shifting his stance a little bit  and conjuring a walking stick from the Aether to stabilise himself.

"Though as i have said before I haven't been in combat in a year or two now i do have a modest amount of power...im afraid its my physicality that limits me." he explained patting his stomach with a chuckle "I do not have the physical endurance for a prolonged confrontation or strenous activities...so if it is well and good with you both, i would like you to take the lead and let me know if there is anything you would like my help with....well aside from anything obvious of course."

Artificer (with Effigy & Oz), Corridor

Heroditus was rater perturbed by Wilona's brazenness -- and by her fiery display -- and stammered a bit in Atlantean.  Which sounded to the others not unlike a series of dolphin noises, though his gestures made his discomfort clear.

Of course I get stuck with her!  Yes, let us anger the genius loci that's so effortlessly moved us about, that is a sound idea!  Out of everyone in this place, it's the fiery hothead I get stuck with, while Hades knows what is trying to break in to this reality...

Oz's voice helped him re-center himself, and he turned his attention to the wizard.  "I appreciate your confidence in us, <learned elder>, but I am certain your knowledge and experience will be invaluable to our efforts in reuniting with our comrades, and in fighting off the intruder."  He bowed and then extended a hand, "I am Heroditus, of Atlantis, though some call me Artificer."

Basement - Ouroboros, Cat-Sith, Blackstaff

"Genus Loci" Ouroboros confirmed with a shrug, "Enough mystical workings have been done on this spot that the place itself is awakened."  he elaborated as he observed the cat boy at work on the lock.

"It is not precisely aware in a traditional sense, but there is an animus."  he swung the door open to reveal, a laundry room with an exit on the far side.  "It defends itself, and residents, and has total control over it's structure."

He paused to hold the door for the others as Blackstaff introduced himself and a flicker of annoyance crossed his sharp features as he considered and quickly discarded introducing himself with his mothers maiden name.  "Ouroboros."  he intoned instead.

"Right now the Hotel wishes to contain this Carrion Queen."  he opined quietly as the door slid shut behind them, "From a perspective of dimensional manipulations such as this I would speculate that every door toward egress will instead loop back to ever more intractable locales."  He paused a long moment considering, "But everything must remain connected even if not as designed which means ..."  He trailed off as he stared at the dilapidated machinery, shelves, chutes, and storage closets as he considered the puzzle of the Hotels displacement.

Masque (with Veronica and Invisigirl, Kitchen)

"Ooh, thank you!" Masque spun the chocolate in the palm of her hand for a moment, thinking. "Well, I don't know that I can trick it into thinking we're all still here, but maybe something's better than nothing."

Masque snapped her fingers and...stepped out from behind herself, a perfect copy taking a short bow as if she'd been hiding there all along. "If you can hide us, I can leave me here to keep the house company."

"Which sounds awfully boring," said Masque. The other one. "I think you should hang out, and should go have fun."

"But the person who stays behind gets...a treat!" Masque - the first one, probably? - leaned to the side with all the exaggerated posing of someone acting for the cheap seats, waving the chocolate bar under her other nose.

"...fine," said Masque, grabbing the treat away from Masque and settling back against a counter. The complaint seemed more rehearsed than sincere. "Call me if you need me!"

Masque - the one not pondering how to eat a chocolate bar through a full face covering - took a bow and gestured toward the open door. "Shall we, then?"

Basement - Blackstaff, Ouroboros, & Cait-Sith

Blackstaff nodded as Ouroboros spoke about the hotel. Once introductions were quickly made he smiled and inclined his head. He followed the others through the door, into what appeared to be a laundry room.

He glanced around but only a single exit sat across the way. Approaching it he stopped, his hand inches from the door’s handle.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:13 AM, angrydurf said:

Ouroboros

"From a perspective of dimensional manipulations such as this I would speculate that every door toward egress will instead loop back to ever more intractable locales."  He paused a long moment considering, "But everything must remain connected even if not as designed which means ..."

“If that’s the case…”

He mused and looked back at the closed door the trio had just passed through. He turned back to the new door and opened it. Beyond it a new room sat ready for them, benches and lockers occupied one side of the room with a table and chairs occupied the other side. A pair of vending machines offer drinks and snacks for a price. Next to the door a counter held a microwave and coffee pot. A break room.

Another single door beaconed across the room.

Blackstaff frowned and stepped back from the door. Turning, he crossed back to the door that should have lead back in to the storage room, the door swinging closed on its own. Hesitating a moment, he grabbed the handle firmly and opened the door. 

The storage room was gone. In its place a break room sat just as it did beyond the other door.

“It certainly seems intent on keeping on a set path.”

He looks over at Ouroboros.

“This is quite an abstract puzzle.”

Blackstaff joked.

“I suppose we need an abstract answer. Normally I’d use a finding spell but this time we’re the ones lost…”

He trailed off, a thoughtful look on his face. Looking around the laundry room his gaze landed on what he was looking for. Grabbing a bottle of bleach and a sheet he headed into the break room. Setting the two items on the table he started rummaging through the counter draws.

Veronica Danger (with Masque and Invisigirl, moving out of the Kitchen)

When Invisigirl initially made them all disappear, Veronica had still been able to see Masque, due to the magic aura her friend radiated. But then the younger teen turned off her powers for a moment so they all reappeared and force open the door to the kitchen.

After Masque had finished her debate with her duplicate, the teenage Danger looked at the other two. "Well, hopefully Masque's duplicate will be good enough to fool Parkhurst if you can keep us hidden Invisigirl."

"I can still see Masque when you have us invisible, you will have to try to stay near us by voice." Veronica went on. "I will try to watch for any sign of the building trying to wrap us back away from moving back toward the main hall, so be ready if I give any instructions."

"So, we ready?"

GM Post
Through a mix of charm and coercion, along with some creative conjuring you manage to convince the hotel to allow you to progress. Doors now offer new locations and corridors converge until all of you are again together. The last of you arrive at a massive pair of wooden doors, the last point before returning to the Hall.

The door themselves are impressive made of ash they were intricately carved, at each of the bottom corner where a pair of stylised snakes, whilst at the top corners were a pair of eagles. In-between were a pair of squirrels who depending on when you looked seemed to be going up or down the door without any rhyme or reason.

The other side of the door you could hear the moving form of the Carrion Queen, along with the stench of death that had come along with her. She wasn’t ranting or raving instead every now and again you could hear a little bloop as she tested the barriers.

Before you all stepped through the door you needed a plan to counter the necromantic magics that had bought her to Earth-Prime.

Blackstaff- Basement with Ouroboros and Cait-Sith

Rummaging through the drawers and cabinets of the break room counter Blackstaff collect a stained, but clean, coffee mug. Filling it partially with water he set it on the table and went to the vending machine. His eyes scanned the contents until he found what he was looking for. The wizard patted at his pockets and frowned before looking over at Simone.

“You shouldn’t do this, but this is kind of an emergency.”

That said he pulled an old style key, it’s surface etched with a few small runes. Tapping it to the vending machine’s lock a small click sounds. Opening the front of it Blackstaff reaches in and pulls out a granola bar and a bag of trail mix.

Returning to the table he spreads out the sheet and pulls out a black marker. He quickly draws out a small circle and marks its perimeter with a handful of runes. Inside the circle he draws a star before pausing, looking at it with thoughtful intensity. With a nod to himself he slowly starts adding runes around the interior.

Stepping back after a minute he looks over his work.

“Well, it’s quick and dirty, and I’ve never tried it before. But I think it might work.”

Setting the mug in the center of the star Blackstaff rummages through his coat and carefully drops a sewing needle into it. From the bleach bottle he carefully pours a capful of it into it as well.

Breaking the granola bar into six pieces. Placing a piece at each point of the star and popping the last piece into his mouth. Using the trail mix he piles it around the base of the mug. Rummaging in his coat again he pulls out a lighter and a small pack of store bought birthday candles.

Setting the candles into the granola bits he lights them as he begins a chant under his breath. Pulling out a pocket knife he pricks his finger letting a small drop of blood well up. Touching the blood to the circle it flashes for a moment then fades to a dim glow.

He looks at the other two.

“If I could ask you two for some help, this should hopefully show us the shortest path back to the lobby.”

He pauses and adds as an explanation in case they’re hesitant.

“It’s a variation on a finding spell I use a lot as a investigator. I just had to change it a little since we’re the ones lost, it should lead us back to where we were ‘lost from’. The needle it the mug should act as a compass and point the way.”

With the help of the others he finishes the ritual and the needle spins in the mug, Blackstaff watching it hopefully as it slows and points to small door set by the counter that he had dismissed as a broom closet.

“Clever girl.”

Blackstaff grinned.

Sea Devil 

Aquaria considered a moment, then struck her trident butt-end firmly against the ground. "It is said, brothers and sisters, that in strange aeons, even death may die."  She pointed the trident at the doors and boomed "This night is a mighty symbol of a new age!" That assumed they were actually able to defeat the thing, but Aquaria was supremely confident they would. This world did not belong to Death. It belonged to Mother Hydra. 

"I say we throw open the doors and take it by surprise. I will work the belly," she added with an exuberant thrust of her weapon, "and the rest of you can battle its arcane might. We will throw its rotting corpse back to the realm where it came!

Under Phantom's gloved fingers, the hotel peeled away to unfold an opening that made no geometric sense; it was some fold between the spaces of the Parkhurst that the Master Mage led her small party confidently through. As Aquaria made her grand proclamations of impending violence against the latest threat, Phantom turned back to fold the space back into a smooth wall. She gave the sealed passage a fond pat before turning towards the gathering mystics. 

"She knows we're coming but a frontal attack isn't out of the realm of possibility. Her magic, however, is tied to decay and mortification. Anyone striking needs must be protected or immune against such things," Phantom said as she reached to pull her hood back up and cloak her features once more in shadow. Was such protection within her powers? Certainly. But Phantom saw her presence as more of a failsafe than an initial barrage. Someday, after all, she would fall as Eldritch did before her. Part of the mangle of Master Mage meant preparing the next generations. 

Such were the cheery thoughts that kept Phantom company these days. 

Certainly, Ouroboros would be familiar with the gentle prompting tone that meant his mother was in a Teaching Moment as she added. "Sea Devil is neither immune to aging nor the deleterious effects of rot but perhaps could be warded from it. Or are there other suggestions to a course of attack. We have at least a moment to plan. The Parkhurst has provided that and we ought to take advantage."

"Nice Trick."  Ouroboros intoned as the ritual completed, "I was just going to guess at the least likely door but this I think will be quicker."  He explained with a shrug and followed from door to door as they navigated the warped and winding halls and stairs leading eventually to the others where they gathered in preparation for the final confrontation.

He frowned slightly as Aquaria suggested a full press attack but was stopped from expressing his feelings on such endeavors by Phantoms  much gentler prodding.  "Riiight."  he agreed slowly, "We need some way to protect those engaging directly."  he repeated glancing around the assembled magi.  "Once she's engaged occupied we can work on sending her back where she belongs."

He slid the eye of heshem from where it dangled at his wrist to lock into place over his palm as he spoke, "I can banish her but not while defending myself from her assault."  he added with perhaps misplaced confidence.  Then again he was the newly minted guardian of the ways.

Effigy

The corridor kind of…unwound. There really wasn’t any other way to describe it. It was on a loop, and then it wasn’t as the circular section of it reunited with reality. It was uh, very weird. But there was business to attend to. Wilona dismissed her fire in an instant, shaking her arm rapidly trying to cool it. The fabric looked lightly scorched, and there was a slight smell of burning hair. “Wow, that worked? Neat. Libertas!” With a gesture, the young pyromancer flew away. She did not get far, for she was only around the corner from the massive doors. Just in time to hear Aquaria. The winds of Libertas had cooled her arm, and for once she was controlling them so that the roar of wind wasn’t so loud that it drowned out voices. “I mean, I’m kind of with Aquaria.” She started doing toss and catch with a ball of fire. “We go in and hit Evil Zombie Lady hard and fast. It’s not how I’d do it by myself, but ummm…” She gestured “We’re kind of a small army and also that’s the exact argument I made to get Parkhurst to let us out of that friggin’ corridor.” She shrugged in mid air. “Take care of the problem first, then sort out the consequences.”

Invisigirl

The plan was actually super effective. Masque’s duplicate was left behind, Naomi turned everyone invisible, and they just kind of walked right out of the kitchen, down a corridor, and up to the doors where everyone else was in a bout of raging anti-climax. Well, the actual climax was yet to come anyway. But people were talking, and Naomi paid attention. Wilona flew in, too, and had much to say. There was no way Naomi could speak to so many people at once. So she tugged at Masque’s sleeve, and from her slightly startled expression realized the three of them were still invisible. With that fixed, she had one thing to say to her new friend. Yes, Masque was nice and very much friend material. She pointed at Phantom, who felt like the group leader. “You two were easy. Twelve would be easy too.” Because Naomi could probably turn half the first floor invisible if she felt like it, including anyone in it.

Artificer

Heroditus was murmuring something in Atlantean as he tried to keep up with Effigy, his words trailing off as he realized he was approaching the others.  "<Oh, thank Poseidon, Helios, and Selene.>"

He quickly caught up on what the others had been saying.  "I have little experience with such dark powers," he admitted, "but I should be able to aid in restraining her.   Her corporeal form, at least," he quickly added, already drawing out several mechano-mystical components from his bandolier, "using transmuted matter.  Oh," he looked up and around nervously, "and I promise to restore anything I change back to its original form, O Gracious House!"  He exhaled nervously, looked to the others, "oh, I could create some physical barriers, too, for protection from her direct assaults."

"Hmmmmm." Masque was leaning on her staff, a series of uneven question marks scrawled across her face. "If you can banish her, then maybe that seems like our best shot? Anyone who can help you do it can help you do it, Invisigirl can keep you ought of sight, and everyone else can just...do whatever possible to mislead her or lay into her while you work. Sleight of hand, you know?"

She had a queen of hearts in one hand, which she'd pulled from goodness-knows-where; she twirled it around her fingers and it disappeared, reappearing with a small flourish in the hand that held her staff. "Keep her eyes on the hand that isn't doing the tricks until you can finish up the show."

Set had followed after Phantom and Sea Devil before taking up a lounging lean against the wall toward the back of the group of deliberating mages. She chimed in with a, "Oh, queen! Tis the energy I desire to behold!" in support of Aquaria's visceral suggestion and told Invisigirl in a low aside with a wink, "We'll arrange a life drawing session, oh adorable artiste. Photos be fine but my third dimension is truly one of my best features."

The godling sniffed audibly at Masques musing. "Naturally he can banish her. There can be no contest." Huang's capabilities fell squarely with the list of things Set took as a point of personal pride. "Technically I'm not one to, well, age as such," she added in a begrudging concession to be helpful in the face of several literal children screwing up their courage, "however I'm of a rather delicate constitution these days?" She gave a theatrical sigh. "I have been proclaimed as awfully distracting, one supposes."

Veronica Danger

Veronica had spotted the others beginning to gather as all the various groups of mages and other magic users gathered that night managed to find their ways back towards the entrance to the great hall. Looking through the walls, the young Danger took a few moments to study the threat that lay beyond as she listened to the others starting to discuss possible strategies for facing the threat.

Looking back towards the others, her eyes seeming to focus back on what was in front of her once more, Veronica spoke up as several volunteered to make direct attacks on the threat to hopefully distract the Carrion Queen while others sought to banish her once more. "I have had a few moments to study the nature of her magic. I should be able to offer protections from that magic for those that need it, but keeping those protections up will be about all I am able to do contribute."

"Also, I would note that this Carrion Queen is gathering her magic and testing Parkhurst's wards. They are holding for the moment, but it likely will not be long before they fail, so we should not take too long in deciding what we plan to do."

"I think if i should attack her head on, i could keep her busy at least for a short while." Oz offered "I fear my stamina will not endure a prolonged struggle with such a being." he admitted as he rubbed his chin "so i would be of best use trying to overwhelm her till my strength fades."

"Time enough for us to work our wonders and cast her back to the inbetween." oz stated with a confidence and certainty of an old mage, knuckles whitening as he clenched the head of his walking stick firmly a clear sign of his resolve.

This was not his world, not his future to decide, that much he held himself too, but he could and would fight for that future whatever the inheritors of this world made it to be.

Aquaria was a little pleased that everyone was listening to her for once instead of coming up with clever strategies that would just waste time that could better be spent on more interesting things, like planning their victory celebration. This was why it was so much easier when Jessie was around; Singularity would just crush things until they were not moving anymore rather than waste time with lots of chatter. With great determination, she bellowed "Yes! Strong magic to shield us from Death, and then we begin with its death!" She waved her trident around for emphasis, black tentacles briefly curling around the tines before she struck it on the ground again with a loud gong. 

Blackstaff 

Blackstaff smiled and nodded at Ouroboros in thanks of the acknowledgment. The make-shift compass guided the trio out of the basement and through the winding paths of the hotel to finally reach the others.

He listened as others suggested a front assault. He resisted the urge to chuckle at Effigy’s ‘enthusiasm’. The idea had some merit if done right. It wouldn’t be the first time in his career he’d gonna in magic blazing.

When Masque, Veronica, and Invisigirl appeared he was impressed, he hadn’t felt any magic. But then, he hadn’t felt any magic from the youngest or the trio. Perhaps there was something to that he thought as he regarded the younger girl inquisitively.

His attention shifted to Phantom as the Master Mage spoke. He noted something about her tone, and her not taking control of the plan of attack. He was sure she had a reason to step back, but he had no reason to call attention to it so he simply filed it away.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:15 AM, angrydurf said:

"I can banish her but not while defending myself from her assault."

He glanced at Ouroboros.

”Perhaps, but once she realizes what’s happening she’ll resist. You should work with others. There are more than enough of us.”

As the conversation turned to protections he frown a little, shaking his head slightly.

”If I’d had some idea of what to expect I could have prepared something ahead of time myself.”

On 10/26/2021 at 3:07 AM, Exaccus said:

"I think if i should attack her head on, i could keep her busy at least for a short while." Oz offered "I fear my stamina will not endure a prolonged struggle with such a being." he admitted as he rubbed his chin "so i would be of best use trying to overwhelm her till my strength fades."

"Time enough for us to work our wonders and cast her back to the inbetween." oz stated with a confidence and certainty of an old mage, knuckles whitening as he clenched the head of his walking stick firmly a clear sign of his resolve.

He looked from the Gatekeeper around at the others, finally settling on Oz who seemed less then eager to stand front and center. He gripped his own black wood staff tightly.

”I know my way around fight or two,  I’ll stand frontline as well. If anyone feels they can’t continue, fall back. Don’t endanger yourself needlessly. Even if all you do is catch your breath. That can mean the difference between falling down and fighting back.”

Blackstaff stopped and looked a little embarrassed as he looked around. Running a hand through his hair he smile and apologized.

”Sorry, it’s a pep talk I give myself sometimes.”

He looked back at Phantom again.

”I know thing or two about countering magic as well, I’ll do what I can. But if you need help with the ritual I think I can help.”

On 10/26/2021 at 1:13 AM, Thevshi said:

Veronica Danger

"Also, I would note that this Carrion Queen is gathering her magic and testing Parkhurst's wards. They are holding for the moment, but it likely will not be long before they fail, so we should not take too long in deciding what we plan to do."

He ran his hand through his hair again.

”The lovely lady is right, we need an actual plan of attack.”

He looked thoughtful for a moment.

”How’s this, three or four of the attackers enter first, leaving the door open. Once they have her attention the others enter under a cloak of invisibility.”

Blackstaff agreed and looked over at Masque, whom Invisigirl was tugging on and speaking in hushed tones.

“It would seem one of you are capable of it. One magical senses might not pick up on right away.”

His glaze flickered to Naomi, giving her a friendly smile before turning his attention back to the group as a whole.

”The hidden group enters through the already open doors, hopefully going unnoticed. The second wave of attackers engage, surprising her and dividing her attention further. This should give the banishers time to get into position and begin sending her back.”

Blackstaff looked around at the others hoping he hadn’t overstepped some line with his suggestions.

GM Post

With the last few issues of the plan figured out it was finally time to open the fine ash door. Despite the bulk of the door it opened smoothly without any real effort revealing the hall had been wrecked as if it had been hit by a hurricane.

In the middle of the room, her back to the heroes was the Carrion Queen who seemed to be idly touching the air with her talon-like fingers. It glowed and made a little ringing sound, but the glow was faint and time was running out to stop this planar invader.

“My world had the likes of you, heroes...” she said the word long and sibilant, like some kind of slur “But now they serve me body and soul.”

She turned around slowly, with apparently some sense of drama for those that appreciated such things.

“You will now try and stop me, a futile effort but I appreciate the effort. Normally I’d call upon the vermin of this place to defend me, but this place is remarkable free of such beast. But luckily I bought some of my own.”

From the dimensional rift poured a horde of beetles as big as someone’s hand. They looked as if someone like if Geiger had designed a Scarab beetle, a gross monstrosity of the natural thing.

Cat-Sith

Magic sure is strange, Simon thought. This woman is strange, the beetles are strange, everything about this night has been strange. After he picked the lock, he decided to sit back and let the actual magic users do something, but now that this odd woman summoned these strange bugs, he might actually be able to help. 

Sea Devil struck her trident against the ground, magic and raw, naked power singing around her like the song of a vast, incomprehensible whale. There was the might of the gods below and the power of the mystics above, channeled by her own divinely blessed physique and the trident she held in her three-fingered hand. Boldly she hopped forward, pointing her trident at the Carrion Queen, and bellowed with great force: "Hail Hydra! Immortal Hydra!" She spun the trident in her hands, energy moaning and booming around her like a storm at sea. "Cut off one head; two more writhe to take its place! Let us see your power, thing of filth!

Blackstaff

Blackstaff followed Sea Devil into the room with less flair, but no less confidence. Staff in hand, it tapped quietly as he walked. He stopped as the Carrion Queen finished her declarations. As the swarm of monstrous beetles began to pour forth from the rift the wizard sighed. The runes along the staff flared a light blue as he slammed the end down. A wave of ice erupted out towards the bugs entrapping a swath of, but not all of, them in a flash freeze. He swings the end of his staff at the necrotic entity.

"Carrion Queen! As representatives of this world and realm, we order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin, or to the next convenient parallel dimension along the coil."

He demanded with all the confidence he could muster, hoping to hold the Carrion Queen's attention while others could get into position.