Kord Dormitories, Second Floor

Claremont Academy, Freedom City, New Jersey

Saturday, September 4, 2021

Like the rest of the dormitories at Claremont Academy, the first floor of the Rita Kord Dormitory was a scene of somewhat controlled  chaos. Classes were set to start early next week after Labor Day, so the dorms had opened up this weekend for new and returning students to get moved in.

Trying -- with some small amount of success -- to control this chaos was one of the floor's Senior residents, whose towering 6 foot 4 inch height made it easy for him to oversee most everything around him.   "Two lines, please, one in, one out... no, no, stay to the right side of the ha- no, your right... Ho!  Lift with your knees, not your back!  Wait there a moment, I'll- oh, yes, sir, that's right down there, next to last on the left..."  Try as he might, there was only so much Heroditus could do to control the Surfacers, but he had grown more accustomed to and accepting of their ways in the past few years.

Multi-Girl (Sort of)

Having delivered the box and suitcase of Bernadette’s possessions to her room, the two duplicates had waited for a little while before getting bored when Bernadette had stopped at the crowd forming in the common room. So the pair left the dorm room and decided to take a look around at other parts of the building, deciding to head down to the second floor first.

As Heroditus had a brief lull in trying to direct the various students and parents moving on and off the second floor, a pair of completely identical redhead teenage girls entered onto the floor, stopping at the tall senior student. The two girls were not only completely identical in appearance, they were both wearing the exact same grey and black plaid skirt and white top.

"Hi, I'm Bernadette." One of the two said, before glancing over at the other and then adding, "well, we are both Bernadette."

"Sort of." Clarified the other. "We are actually copies of 'er, the original is still up on the third floor at the moment."

"So, are ye one of the older students?" Asked the first of the duplicates. "We understand that there are no competitive sports teams fer the school?"

"Are there some sort'a of intermural sports or something?" The second one chimed back in.

"There's the team squads, but direct competition's kinda rare," Charlie said, looking up from his place on the couch in the middle of the chaos, a book in his hands, he looked up, head upside down over the couch. "Looking good, Heroditus. How about taking a quick break before you get in over your head?"

Charlie had been early, moving stuff into his new room, having everything ready. Heroditus had been here when he joined the school, but he hadn't really run into him much. Moved in different circles and all that. Would be interesting to room together. He sat up right, looked at the younger girls, waving quickly at them and Heroditus.

"Hey, I'm Charlie. We'll be rooming together this year," he pointed at Heroditus, then back to Bernadette, "and y'know, it'd be fun to have some teams like that. One of my friends is a dragon, watching him fly away with the basketball would be great."

Artificer

Heroditus smiled and made a click-pop sound, the equivalent of a brief chuckle, "yes, I suppose I should take what small rests I can."  He took a quick look up and down the hallways, "things do seem to he slowed a bit."

Ah, so this is who will be replacing Benny, he thought.  Well, no, not replace, per se, but... oh, get out of your own head, Hero.

He extended a hand to Bernadette, then to Charlie.  "Ah, yes, while I still know little of Surfacer sports," he tried addressing all three simultaneously, "my understanding is that various team and squad activities here at Claremont focus on cooperative skills, rather than competitive play.  Focus on responsible uses of one's abilities, both solo and as part of a team.  And with a remarkable success rate, too!"  He turned slightly to focus more on Charlie, "oh, you didn't have any trouble getting around my sleeping tank, did you?  The one my former roommate had to deal with was much bulkier, but I think I have managed to slim down the design by a considerable amount."  He was referring, of course, to the pressurized, water-filed tube that served as the Atlantean's bed, which was not much bigger than a single dorm bed.

Multi-Girl Duplicates

The two redheaded duplicates looked over towards Charlie with a slight frown as he mentioned there not being any competitive teams at the school and then seemed a bit surprised when he mentioned another student being a dragon. But they did not have much time to dwell on that before Heroditus spoke up about the purpose of the team squads.

"Well, competitive teams can teach all that as well, but I guess it might be a better way ta do so." One of the duplicates replied. She gave a warm smile and shook the tall Atlantean teen's offered hand.

The other duplicate returned Charlie’s wave with a smile as well. "Hi Charlie, I…we are Bernadette, or copies of her anyway. Nice ta meet you."

The first duplicate was still focused on Heroditus, looking up at the tall Atlantean. "So, ye have a sleepin' tank? I…hope it doesn' seem rude ta ask, but why do ye need a sleeping tank?"

Nevermore II

Charlie stretched slightly when he saw the offered hand, grinned and pushed off from the couch with his feet, planting both hands on the armrest he had been resting with his head the moment before so he stood upside down for a second... and then pushed off with his hands, leaping up and landing on his feet, before offering Heroditus his hand. "No worries, man. I'm pretty nimble. Looked pretty interesting, you gotta tell me about how it works some time."

"Hey Bernie, finding your ways around yet?"

He'd studied his roommate. Of course he had. Be prepared and all that, like Alek had taught him, but judging from everyone's reaction to when Charlie told them all the he knew last year, then maybe it was better to be a bit more diplomatic this time around, right?

"Yeah, y'know, I've seen you around, but I was wondering about it. What's your deal, Hero?"

Artificer

"Oh, I don't find it rude at all!," he replied to Bernadette with a smile, showing off pearl-white teeth.  "I am Atlantean, which means that living up here has been a..." he paused a moment, seeking a properly diplomatic word, "a challenge for me.  The temperature is always too hot, the lights always too bright.  And, of course, all this," he gestured around vaguely, "dry, uncompressed air.  So I made something that would let me feel more at home, at least while I slept.  As I said, my first one was rather bulky and crude, but as my skills have increased, I've managed to make several refinements.  My hope is that, some day, something like them will be used in the Atlantean Embassy, to let our diplomats and envoys feel less homesick."

He turned to Charlie and tilted his head, "my... deal?  I'm sorry, I am not quite sure what you mean.  Are you asking about my abilities?  Skills?  About what I can do?"  Heroditus knew little of his new roommate, so he still wasn't sure how they would relate, but this seemed like a decent way to start.  "I'm happy to tell, if you'll share your 'deal'."

Mutli-Girl Duplicates

The two identical redheads gave a small smile when Charlie asked if they were finding their way around. "We're workin' on it, helps when you can be multiple places at once." One of the two replied. "Another duplicate is explorin' the grounds after saying good bye ta our parents."

Then the two girls focused back on Heroditus as he explained the reasons for his sleeping tank. "Atlantean? As in Atlantis." The two duplicates said in unison, clearly surprised. Then a slightly embarrassed look came to them. "Sorry," offered one of the two, "I've heard o' Atlantis o' course, but never thought I would ever meet anyone from there."

"I'm sorry the conditions up here are so difficult for ya." Stated the other duplicate. "But I will say ye do seem ta be handling it pretty well, but can understand wantin' ta be more comfortable at least while ye sleep."

Nevermore II

"Sure, what you can do, where you're from," Charlie responded to Heroditus. "Gotta be weird for you with the whole fish out of water experience, even after being here a while. But sure, I'll show you mine, you'll show me yours, sounds pretty normal 'round here." He paused for a moment, and winced. "Sorry, pun not intended."

Charlie raised his hands up in a slightly defensive position, while grinning weakly. "Gottas ask Bernie something first, before I forget: How's that work with multiple of you around? Like, there's a single you in control of all of you, or each of you is your own you? Do one of you feel what happens to the rest of you? Shared memories and eyes and all that, or just when you get back together?" He sounded genuinely curious, like he was resisting the urge to try to poke her to try out his thesis.

Artificer

He smiled at Bernadette, though this time kept it tight, showing no teeth, "thank you.  And, ah, yes, Atlantis has been," he paused again, thinking of a properly diplomatic word, "isolated for the past several centuries.  It was only about 80 years ago that we started having more... open relations with America and other Surfacer nations.  There are many who still believe we should keep to ourselves, remain isolated, but some of us see the value in sharing and trading.  Why, I have learned more in two years at Claremont than I could have imagined in a lifetime back home!"

"And that... flows neatly to your question," he made another click-pop sound as he turned to Charlie.  "I am a mechano-mystic, or techno-mage.  In Atlantis, we combine magic and technology in ways that Surfacers do not, and I have been attempting to figure out how our systems and your can interact.  Which has been quite challenging at times!"

Multi-Girl Duplicates

As Charlie asked his questions to the two Irish duplicates they gave him a small smirk. "Is this part o' the show me yours, an’ I’ll show you mine boyo?" One of the two asked.

After letting the light teasing stand for a moment the other then went on, "Well, each o' us are in control over ourselves. We can see an', ta an extent, feel what is going on with each other, but sort o’ have ta focus fer that."

"When she focuses on it, the original can remerge with us, so, I guess that is some level o' control she has over us." The first added.

The redheaded duplicates turned to listen when Heroditus spoke up and explained some of Atlantis' isolationism and his experience at Claremont. As the Atlantean teen went on to explain his abilities and how they involved bending technology and magic the two appeared fairly impressed. "Wow, that shoor sounds much more impressive than simply bein’ able to make copies o' yerself."

Nevermore II

"Maybe," Charlie replied to the double that had called him boyo with a smirk of his own, "or maybe I just like to figure out what everyone can do."

Techno-magic? That was interesting. He didn't know a lot specific about magic, only the ways Alek had been teaching him to handle it, but fusing tech and magic? Now that would need some entirely different plans and strategies. 

"I'm afraid that I got nothing as fancy as techno-magic or being everywhere at once. Just some training and gadgets." 

Artificer

Heroditus blushed a bit at Bernadette's words, "well, I think being able to replicate yourself is a very impressive ability!"  He cleared his throat a bit, "was that an ability your were born with, or something you sought out?  If, ah, if it is not too forward of me to ask, that is."  He was aware such topics could be sensitive, for both Surfacers and Atlanteans.

He leaned slightly towards Charlie, "oh, I would be very interested in seeing your gadgets!  Perhaps we can learn from one another!"  He could sense the young detective's curiosity, and took that as a positive sign.  "One area you Surfacers are far better at than Atlanteans is the field of miniaturization, like in the 'utility belts' some of your heroes wear.  I have been trying to find ways to scale down the size of several devices, so I can carry more of them at once.  Is that an area in which you are familiar?"

Multi-Girl Duplicates

The two redheaded duplicates both blushed slightly as Heroditus suggested that being able to generate duplicates was an impressive ability. When he asked them the question about how she got her powers the duplicates did not seem too offended by the questions.

"Well, I certainly did not seek out this ability." One of the duplicates replied.

"The first time the original was ever able ta create a duplicate was only a few months ago. So, not sure if she was born with the ability or not." Offered the other.

"It's not quite the only thing we can do." Continued the first duplicate as she stepped over next to the couch that Charlie had been sitting on. Kneeling down, she grabbed underneath one end of the couch and then lifted the entire thing off the floor as she stood back up with relative ease. "Maybe not the same level as Lady Liberty or Tiamat, but we are a lot stronger than we look." She added with a small smile before setting the couch back down.

"Woah! I was going to check if anyone needed a hand carrying anything but seems like you've got it covered, ha!" A junior with tousled strawberry blond hair and a broad, dimpled smile sauntered into the common room, raising a hand in greeting. "Good to see you, guys. And a couple new faces! Or face singular, I guess? I think I heard 'duplicate'?" The teen wore an open collared shirt with a bright green and pink watermelon pattern over a white tank top splattered with numerous colours of paint and machine oil. His belt buckle appeared to have been made from the remains of an old, spent printer ink cartridge. "I'm Ryder, nice to meet you!"

Nevermore II

"Sure, I'd love to, but gotta warn you, I'm not really that much of a tech guy. I mostly dabble and modify some equipment my boss had made for me," Charlie responded to Heroditus. "I do have an utility belt though, so... yeah, I think I got some minituarized stuff you can look at if you want to."

Charlie whistled slightly at Bernie's display. "Nice. Guess that makes you a multi person powerhouse?" He paused, looked at the couch, opened his mouth to say something else, and then stopped when Ryder made his appearance. 

"Hey, you joined last year too, right? I think we were on different floors."

Artificer

Heroditus took a step back at Bernadette's display, and made several sounds not unlike those of a dolphin.  "Amazing!"  He suddenly found himself remembering tales of the Hekatónkheires, hundred-handed giants of immense strength.  "Does your enhanced might persist through all your copies?  Or does it change depending on the number of duplicates you have generated?"

A familiar voice drew his attention, and he turned to greet the new arrival with open arms.  "Ah, greetings, friend Ryder!  How was your summer?  And, ah," a look of mild disappointment flashed briefly across his face as he looked over Ryder's shoulders, "where are your little entomosautomatons?"

He filed away what his new roommate said about a utility belt, merely nodding at his words.  This year was looking to be very promising!

"Nya?" inquired something behind and below Ryder, a thing that quickly resolved itself into a sleek, blue-eyed, dark-faced Siamese cat. Brazenly uncollared, it strode past the teen heroes and heroines with an insouciant air, eying them with those big blue eyes. Then it then dashed away with the sudden frenetic energy of a cat, disappearing down the corridor and into the open door of the common room before anyone could actually reach down to pick it up. 

Multi-Girl Duplicates

The duplicate that had lifted up the sofa blushed slightly at the various comments.

"I think ye might be oversellin' it a bit." The other offered in response to Charlie’s statement of her being a "powerhouse." "Stronger than normal, but probably not what yer callin' a 'powerhouse."

"Nice ta meet ye Ryder." The first one responded with a small wave in return. "I'm," She gestured to both herself and the other duplicate, "Bernadette. An' yes, we are duplicates. The original is still upstairs doin’ some unpackin'."

The two duplicates then considered Heroditus' questions about their strength, looking at each other a moment before looking back to the Atlantean teen. "Ta be honest, I'm not quite sure."

"We haven' really tested out the limits o' our strength, either just the original or what happens when she creates more duplicates." The other finished.

The two duplicates then glanced over toward the sound from the cat that had appeared behind Ryder, not particularly surprised by its appearance, having already encountered a few so far on the stairway and third floor.

Looking over Ryder's shoulder Heroditus didn't see the Robugs exactly but did watch as a sizeable cardboard box hovered along just off of the floor, seemingly of its own volition. Once it reached Ryder's feet he stooped to pick it up, revealing a robotic cricket painted bright blue and a glossy black horned beetle, each about the size of an open hand. "Haha, well Cyan and Black are helping me carry in a few things but I think Magenta got bored and went exploring. I think Yellow is hiding somewhere; big crowds with lots of stuff going on stresses her out." Cyan bounded about the room in a few prodigious leaps, bouncing off of the arm of the couch before landing on top of the Atlantean's head, chirping cheerfully. Black simply walked unhurriedly toward the Bernadettes, horn swinging back and forth as he silently regarded them from the floor.

"You got it!" Ryder confirmed Charlie's recollection, hefting the box under one arm and giving a thumbs up with his free hand. "Glad to be back at it, right? If you're looking to test out what you can do, you're definitely in the right place," he added for Bernadette's benefit. He tilted his head to one side with a curious expression and it was hard not to think of a big puppy. "Ooh, do you duplicate stuff you're holding  when you split off? Like beyond your clothes?" 

Easily switching his attention from one thing to another he looked over to Cyan on Heroditus' head and told him as an aside, "You can see if that kitty wants to play but be careful not to spook her, okay? Like you learned with the fox kits." The Robug shifted back and forth on its eight legs and chirped back in confusion. "What do you mean 'what kitty'? You've got a ridiculous field of vision, my guy. Black, back me up." The beetle simply shook its head slowly back and forth. "...huh."

Nevermore II

Charlie glanced briefly at the cat. Wasn't there something about a couple of cat people with the new students? Didn't matter, if it was one of them, they'd probably introduce themselves if they wanted to.

"Oh yeah, you got those bug bots." Moving his hand to his wrist watch, Charlie twisted it slightly to the side, bringing up a small holographic display that he quickly clicked and then moved. 

A small bird shaped drone quickly moved out from Charlie and Heroditus' room, hovering into the room above them. It was, of course, completely black. 

"Meet the R.V.D.," Charlie grinned as he moved it around the room, controlling it through his wrist watch. "Not as fancy as the bugs, but gets the job done."

Artificer

Heroditus noticed the cat, or rather the magical effect that appeared to be a cat.  To his eyes, the magical energies making up the remote sensor were clear as day.  Ah, right, I'd heard there are some cat-people among the new students this year.  I suppose this is from one of them?  He smiled and waved at it just as it darted off.

He stroked the faint stubble on hearing the brief exchange between Bernadette and Ryder.  "Yes, many tests are offered here, of both the mind and body.  I am certain you can learn all manner of things about your abilities -- perhaps even some aspects which you had not even imagined before!"  He clasped his hands in front of him when Ryder mentioned duplicating objects, "oh, that would be a trick!  I- whoops!," his glanced up, "apologies, Cyan, I hope I did not disturb you up there!"  He reached into one of the pouches on his bandolier and drew forth a tiny lithium coin battery, and offered it to the robug perched upon his head, "here, a small treat for you!"  He held one in his other hand, and offered it to Black.

He tilted his head slightly at Ryder's conversation with the robugs regarding the cat.  They cannot see it?  So what does that say about the spirits animating them?  If they-- 

His train of thought was interrupted at the sudden appearance of Charlie's RVD.  His eyes went wide, first in brief terror, then in admiration.  "That is an impressive koronis!  But," he glanced back at Charlie, then back to the drone, "you are controlling it directly, yes?  With that?," he gestured to Charlie's watch.

Multi-Girl Duplicates

The two redheaded duplicates watched as the robotic bugs followed shortly behind Ryder bring a box for him before starting to spread around between the gathered teens. The two looked at Black as the robotic beetle as it moved over toward them and seemed to be taking a second look at the pair.

One of the two looked over to Ryder. "Did you make these?" She asked with an impressed expression on her face.

As both Ryder and Heroditus explained that the school would be a good place for her to learn more about her powers, both of Bernadette’s duplicates looked over toward the pair. When Ryder asked his question about duplicating things she was carrying, the two seemed in though a moment before one respond. "Well, again not really shoor about that. Guess it is something ta test out."

When cat appeared near Ryder, one of the duplicates looked down at it as Ryder began talking to the Robugs about the cat. "I think it is connected ta one o' the girls up on the third floor, Neko." The redhead stated.

When Charlie’s RVD came out to where the group was gathered and hovered in the air, the two duplicates looked up at the black drone. "I don' know, looks pretty slick ta me." One offered with a small smirk.

Cyan flattened himself against the top of Heroditus' head as the R.V.D. flew into the room, momentarily ignoring that it was not a real bird nor he a real insect. Black eyed the similarly coloured drone with continued silence that somehow conveyed a turn toward icy disdain that made Ryder wonder how much he'd been picking up from Natalia. "They're my Robugs, right!" he replied to Charlie then added to the Bernadettes, "There's a joke about making friends but I'm sure you've heard it before! They like to explore but, oh, they know better than to go into anybody's room without asking! Of course my, y'know, design aesthetic is a little less subtle than Charlie's anyway, ha!"

He craned his neck to get a better look at the underside of the R.V.D. as it circled overhead, making thoughtful little sounds as he parsed the design. Cyan was immediately distracted by the shiny cell battery Heroditus offered him, batting it into the air with his hind legs like it was a hacky sack. "Okay okay okay! Probably get, what, four or five mile range? Nailing the hovering action without bulking it up or making it too noisy is 'pretty slick!'"

Stepping lightly around the cat as it darted past a fit young man shifted the bankers box with most of his possessions to one hip freeing a hand to wave to his fellow students.  Brushing a stray lock of hair from over one eye, his close cropped cut had grown out over the summer apparently, he took in the the group with a lazy half smile, "Ryder it's good to have you back, life has been less eventful without you."  he greeted his roommate.

Sparing a nod for Heroditus and Charlie in greeting he took in the new addition to the class robot collection with a small smirk, "Boys and their toys."  he teased playfully.  Regarding the apparent twins he flashed a pearly smile, "Greetings, I am Utsawa."  he introduced looking between the two curiously.  "I don't believe I've had the pleasure."  His confidence in English had also grown over the summers tutoring it seemed.