Leon turned away from the board only to find the common room two boys short. James and Owain had slipped away to their room leaving him with only Luke and Simon.

”Guess he doesn’t want competition.”

He smirked and wandered back to the couch.

”So you were a street kid.” He looked over at Simon. “Luke and I spent a lot of time on the streets too. You have any questions on how things work nowadays, just ask one of us.”

James looked appropriately sheepish at the damage to the room. He froze up, like he was listening to some voice for a moment and looked shocked, then shook his head.

"There's, uh, been some changes compared to now, I guess. The Catholic Church is still pretty strong, and, uh, people's still arguing pretty strongly about who's right and everything. The Centurion Church is going pretty strong, I think." James paused to rub his arm. "I'm, uh, not really sure what I believe. I think there's gotta be something, right? Some greater power that makes sure everything's gonna be alright?"

"Ah, well, I am sure we will make spiritual discoveries together," Gawain told James easily. "Do you wish to see something amazing?" He took out two wooden plates from his bag, one side paper the other a curved metal hook, then slowly peeled the paper off the backs of both. He then placed them against the wall over his bed, pressing hard, and stepped back to admire his work. "You see? The paper conceals a cunning glue on the back!" He pulled his sword from his bag, carefully mounted in its sheath, and placed it on the rack. 

"So you have armor, eh? Well-smithed, I take it, or does it give you woe?" He was careful not to touch James, having taken the poor boy's measure, but was clearly giving him all his attention. "You must have some hand with it, else you could not have fought these gator beasts so well!" he offered encouragingly. 

James blinked for a moment and looked up at the rack and the sword held up by glue.

"Uh, yeah. That's... uh, amazing." 

He didn't sound entirely convinced.

With the talk turning to his armor, James lightly rubbed his right arm again, taking a simple step back. "It's, kind of both, I guess?" He paused, like he was listening to a voice that only he could hear. "Oh, no. No, we're not gonna armor up inside again. Look what you did to the ceiling the first time!" 

James stopped and stared at Owain, realizing what he had just done.

"Sorry, the armor, err... the Bird of Prey, it's kind of alive, and it kinda talks to me. And it really wants to show off, but..." He gestured to the damages to the room. "Yeah."

"A cursed weapon can be a burden as well as a blessing," said Owain sympathetically. "By my troth, none shall hear from me what burned yon ceiling," he added seriously. Considering the other boy's feelings, he decided not to press him for a demonstration of his powers - and decided perhaps he needed a demonstration of something else to take his mind off his woes. "But since you mention birds, let me show you something of my own." He folded his hands before him and closed his eyes, drawing upon the spells he'd long since committed to heart. He spoke aloud 

siâp y gigfran

And was gone! There had been no abrupt flash of light or noise, no sudden painful shifting. It was as if his outline had reshaped itself neatly into the form of a handsome black bird. The bird looked at James, opened its big beak, and spoke in Owain's cheerful voice. "Fear not, James, it is I, Owain, in the form of a raven!" 

For a moment, James just stared at the bird, then took a step back and leaned against the wall.

"You're a, a bird." 

He shook his head, like he was trying to make sense of the entire situation.

"I thought you were some kind of knight. How does that make... how does that fit? How can you do that?" 

James didn't sound scared or anything like that, just unsure of the whole situation.

Luke lowered his eyes a little when Leon the time on the streets. For him it was different though, after all, while the Landers household was far from wealthy, they never really lacked a roof over their heads and time that he himself spent on his own was only due to choices he was definitely not proud about. 

"Yeah, I had powers already though, can't imagine how it would have been for you man." He shook his head. "But yeah if you need anything just ask ok?"

"Anyway... how was being a cat for two hundred years? That must have been something..."

"'Tis magic!" declared Owain cheerfully, fluttering up to land on the desk near James. "I _am_ one trained as a knight," he went on, seemingly fully comfortable as a bird, "but as a knight-enchanter. Arthur has several such men in his warband at Camelot, and mayhap when enow time has passed, I will take my place among them." Owain flapped his wings and went on. "To cast the spell, I find an animal in peril, save it from whatever enemy bedevils it, then ask if I might wear its shape as my boon. When I was a small boy, I found a raven caught in a farmer's snare, and by saving its life won the right to assume its shape. Magic is weaker in these times but bond between magus and animal remains. I, ah, don't make a great show of it around the other fellows, because you know, it's not really the done thing. A man should be known for his valor, not how many texts he has studied."  

"I think it's kind of both that matters, in this time. Both what you do and what you know." 

James seemed to be getting a bit more used to the idea that his roommate was a bird, but still seemed a bit hesitant. 

"S-so, magic? Can you... did you make contracts with other animals? How can you even talk with them in the first place?"

"Tis another spell," said Owain with a shrug. "To speak with animals was the first spell I learned from Menw, the greatest of the knight-enchanters." He considered a moment, then offered, "You men of the future have changed the world much, even in the years since I first came to this realm. There once were flocks of birds that darkened the sky, and beasts so vast that only armies of the greatest warriors could tame them. Now your woods are quiet, your skies ablaze, and your seas empty of fish. Hm." He flapped his wings, then said "Say! Would you care to meet the lady who came with me to Claremont? She has rooms above our own." 

"I, erm, I... I'm kinda from a bit further in the future, y'know? I didn't really... do any of that?" James offered, though he still made it sound like an apology. "A, a lot of things have been made b-better." 

James thought about it for a moment, then shrugged. "Is... is she from the past, too?"

He paused, like he listened to something, then he shook his head.

"No! I'm sure Owain is p-perfectly safe to be around!" Then, he frowned, shaking his head again before offering Owain an explanation. "The Bird, it... it seems like it's not a fan of magic... sorry."