Veronica Danger & The Man From Outer Space

RocketLord

Space Ranger III

"Got it. Hold on!"

J'onn holstered on gun, quickly grabbing hold around Veronica's waist to hold her close. Going too fast would be dangerous, the jetpack wasn't exactly built for two, but hey, it'd work. Grandpa had done plenty of heroic rescues with just a jetpack in the past, no reason it wouldn't work for J'onn!

Launching them upwards through the tunnel that Veronica was creating, J'onn poured on the power to move them as quickly as they could while the bullets ricocheted off the force field.

"Nice one!" 

And, finally, when they were out of the wall and continuing up, far out of reach, he stopped, just holding steady for a moment.

"That was awesome!He laughed, just staring down at the people below while he started moving himself and Veronica away. "What was that all about?"

Veronica Danger

Veronica watched as the men below began to shrink into the horizon as J'onn flew the pair off over the desert. "I am not fully sure to be honest." The teenage Danger responded to J'onn's question. "I got a lead about the tablet and how it might be helpful with some other research I am working on. So I found my way to the tomb where the tablet was located and managed to get around the traps and like and recover it. No sooner had I made my way back outside than those guys were coming after me and shooting."

"Like I said, if they had started off by trying to talk to me, we might have worked something out and worked together on solving whatever mystery is contained on this tablet." Once they had flown out of range, Veronica let the mystical energy field drop.

"What about you, how did you end up out here, of all places?"

Space Ranger III

J'onn's helmet activated once the energy field around them disappeared. Some kind of automatic defense to protect his face or something. He wasn't quite sure.

"I got absolutely no idea what you're talking about," J'onn didn't sound rude or disinterested, just honest about the situation. "But kinda seemed like they were the bad guys. I'm not helping some kind of thief now, right?" He winked behind the helmet, the shadow of his eyes barely visible.

"That's kind of a weird story, I guess, but before we get into that: Any direction in particular you want to go?"

Veronica Danger

"Well, I would think their default position of just trying to kill us would be a good sign they were the bad guys." Veronica replied to J'onn with a small grin.

As he asked if she wanted him to head in any particular direction, the teenage Danger took a moment to reorient herself as she pointed off towards the east. "The nearest town is in that general direction, but it's a couple hundred miles, so would take awhile."

Glancing back behind them, she looked back towards J'onn. "I think you have put some distance between us and those thugs. So we can set down anywhere and I can get us out of this desert much quicker."

Space Ranger III

"Eh, that doesn't have to be the case every time. Good guys go for guns too, y'know." 

J'onn nodded in response to Veronica's request and shifted them around, before starting a slow descent towards the desert. The jetpack wasn't really meant for long distance, so if she had some kind of trick to get them out of the desert, he was all in.

Reaching the ground, he let go of Veronica and pulled back his helmet again. He crossed his arms and grinned.

"Alright then, show me what you can do, magic girl."

Veronica Danger

"Sure good guys use guns, just the default position of killing everyone is generally not a sign of a good guy." Veronica stated with a smile as they landed once more, rocky desert stretching out endlessly around the pair.

The teenage Danger gave a smirk as J'onn told her to show him what she could do. Taking a deep breath, Veronica's hands began glowing with golden mystical energy as she raised them and began tracing several symbols in the air.

The golden energy began to spread in the air around the pair as Veronica reached out to touch J'onn on the shoulder and suddenly there was a golden flash and they were no longer in the desert.

When the flash subsided, the pair were standing on a large balcony of a building in what appeared to be a crowded city. Off in the distance could be seen several giant pyramid shaped buildings that dwarfed even the more modern structures in the city.

The balcony was partially covered with a canopy, which helped to block out much of the overhead sun and there were a number of planters and other decorations. There was a table with several chairs, on which was a large pitcher and several glasses and off to one side where several lounge chairs, one of which was currently occupied by a woman who appeared to be in her mid-twenties. She was dressed in khaki shorts and a white short sleeve blouse and had been reading a book when the pair suddenly appeared on the balcony.

The woman seemed only partially surprised by their sudden appearance and quickly went back to an neutral expression as she sat the book down on a small table next to her. "I was beginning to wonder how much longer it might be before you just teleported back." She stated as she looked over at J'onn. "I see you brought along a new companion."

"Prudence, this is J'onn, he helped me out with some people that apparently were after the tablet." The teenage Danger replied rather matter-of-factly. "J'onn, this is Prudence, my personal assistant." She then added as she walked over the table and began pouring a glass of water. "Care for a drink?"

Space Ranger III

J'onn held his hand up and opened his mouth to say something, then stopped himself and lowered his hand.

"Alright, yeah. Fair point."

He whistled at the show that Veronica put up, the magic and runes and such, and, to his credit, only froze slightly when she touched him and they suddenly weren't in the desert anymore.

Golden light, big pyramids up ahead, desert around them?

Yeah, J'onn still didn't have any idea at all where they were.

"Nice place you got here," he commented, before giving Prudence a quick salute. "Good to meet ya."

"Sure, sure, water's good," J'onn followed her to the table, while looking around the place. "Seems like you got it pretty good here?"

Veronica Danger

"Very nice to meet you J'onn." Prudence stated with a small nod in return before focusing back on Veronica. "So, I take it things got a bit more exciting than simply dealing with dust and avoiding the occasional trap?"

Veronica gave a small nod as she poured a glass of water that she offered to J'onn. "Yes, I got the tablet no problem, but just as I made my way out a bunch of guys on bikes and jeeps came speeding up taking shots at me. J'onn here appeared in the middle of the chase to help me out."

The teenage Danger focused back on J'onn as she took one of the seats at the table with her glass of water. "Oh, this place," she replied with a dismissive gesture to the balcony around them, "it belongs to one of my family's companies. We do pretty well for ourselves, but also fund a lot of humanitarian, environmental and scientific research projects around the world."

"Which brings up the question, what brings you to Earth in general, and Egypt in particular, J'onn?" She asked.

Space Ranger III

"Looks good. I mean, I've seen better, of course, but a good place to stick around for a while, at least." 

J'onn happily accepted the water, raised the glass and drank. Even with his suit taking care of him, it was still much better to drink some actual water. Plus, this water? It tasted pure. Back home, it wasn't like this in most places. Not yet, anyway. They were still working on that, and in space, it was generally better not to touch water at all.

"Sure, did promise the story," he started, putting the glass down, before finding a chair and sitting down, leaning back in it with one arm around the back. "Have you ever heard about the first Space Ranger? Came from the Earth, went out on a space mission and crashed on a planet called Korus and became it's hero? He might've been back here a few times?" He paused, looking exptectantly at Veronica and Prudence. "Anyway, I'm his grandson."

Veronica Danger

Veronica just gave a small smile at J'onn's comments about the Danger International apartment they were currently at. When he asked if she had heard of the first Space Ranger, the teenager sat up slightly with a look of surprise. "Chuck Shepard? Yes, I have heard of him." She responded with a smile.

"My great uncle Ace ran into him once during one of his adventures." She added, glancing over at Prudence a moment before focusing back on J'onn. "So your from Korus? What brought you here?"

Space Ranger III

"Yeah! Grandpa said he did try to go back to Earth at some point, so I guess they teamed up or something like that." J'onn nodded at the thought.

"But yeah, I'm the third Space Ranger, defender of Korvus, intergalactic adventurer and all that, exceeept... I was in this kinda accident a while ago."

J'onn didn't look too pleased to admit, before throwing his hands up.

"Wasn't my fault, honest! But, yeah, Korvus got some kind of absolutely ancient tech called Spatial Gates. They're supposed to let you go pretty much anywhere. I was gonna use one to go visit here, on Earth, and I, uh, kinda got bombarbed with all that spatial energy?" 

He held out his arms, as if to show off something that none of them could really see.

"So, I kinda bounce between Earth and wherever else I'm hanging out at random times. Usually takes a bit before I disappear, but give it some hours, some days or weeks at most, then I'm back in space. It's a pain, trust me."

Veronica Danger

"That or Uncle Ace could have ended up on Korus, he certainly has had a bad habit of getting lost in other dimensions. Even my cousin and I spent a bit of time in another dimension a couple summers ago." Veronica said with a small smile when J'onn mentioned his grandfather possibly having come back to Earth at some point.

When J'onn mentioned his mishap with one of the ancient Spatial Gates, the teenage Danger studied him for a moment, her eyes seeming almost distant as she almost seemed to look right through him. "Hmm, that does sound like it would be a real pain." She finally said in agreement to J'onn's comments about his appearing and disappearing between Korus and Earth at random times. "Is there not anyone on Korus that could help you learn more about the Spatial Gates and how to reverse the process, or at least control it?"

"I mean, if it was somehow magical in nature, I might be able to help, but I am not seeing any indication of that." She added before glancing over to Prudence for a moment and then focusing back on J'onn. "Danger International might have some equipment back in Freedom City that might be able to help get some understanding of what is going on."

Space Ranger III

"It's ancient tech. Nobody really understands how it works, just that it works," J'onn shrugged. "At least it's meant I've had some cool adventures." 

He didn't seem all that bothered.

"But hey, if you're offering a checkup, I'm not objecting. Been trying to find somebody that might know something, but no luck on the places I've visited so far."

Veronica Danger

"Hmm, well, we can at least see if we might be able to learn anything." Veronica stated as J'onn explained how he had thus far been able to find anyone that was able to help him with his problem. The teenage Danger glanced over to Prudence. "Can you reach out to the folks back in Freedom City and see when they have some time free to run some scans?"

Prudence gave a small nod. "Of course, though we might not hear back for a few hours until people get into the office." The older woman stated as she picked back up her tablet and began typing something.

Veronica focused back on J'onn and gave a small smile. "So, while that gets set up, shall we take a look at this tablet that those other guys in the desert were so keen on getting a hold of?" With that she once again raised a hand to trace a circle in the air and her golden mystical once again swirled into existence to create a small opening in space from which she pulled the stone tablet before letting the hole close once more. She then stood up as she placed the table on the table and began to study it closer.

Space Ranger III

"Sounds interesting! Let's do it!

J'onn moved over by Veronica, leaning in over the table to look at the tablet. He resisted the urge to reach out and touch it, didn't need another thing like the spatial gate thing weighing him down right now, so, yeah. No touching, at least not yet.

"So, what are we looking at here?"

GM

The tablet was ancient, but as durable as one would expect from stone. Moreso, perhaps. Despite it's age, the markings showed no sign of degradation. All the markings were as clear as they day they had been made.

While she couldn't understand the markings exactly, they seemed to be like that of her amulet. A recurring mark could refer to her amulet. Another few marks seemed to refer to a number of inserts, maybe the missing gems?

Veronica Danger

Veronica was quite for a few moments as she studied the old, but not very worn, tablet. Leaning forward slightly, the teenage Danger blew across the surface of the tablet, clearing some dust that had built up over the centuries in the etched writing on the surface of the tablet.

"Another ancient mystery." Veronica replied with a slight grin. "This table appears connected to a particular magical artifact."

"This artifact in fact." She then added as she reached up and pulled the amulet out from under her T-shirt and holding it up for a moment before letting it hang loose once more, but outside her shirt. "I came across the amulet under some rather unusual circumstances in a bazar a few years ago. When I found it, it did not have the gems in it. I have found those in a number of places since. Still one more out there somewhere."

"This," Veronica gestured back to the tablet, "clearly is referencing the amulet and the gems that used to be contained in it. It's not in any language I am familiar with, I can read nearly a dozen."

She reached out and touched the tablet lightly, pointing a symbol that repeated a number of times on the tablet. "This symbol is clearly referring to my amulet. And these," her finger glided over to a few different symbols, "are the gems."

She paused a moment as a slight frown came to her face and she continued to study the tablet. "But it does not seem to be a map or other set of directions to where the gems were supposed to be locate. If anything, it seems to be a map that points to other maps."

"I suppose that it what the short greasy leader of those thugs in the desert was talking about." Veronica said as she brought a finger up to her lips a moment in thought. After a few moments she lower her hand and looked over to J'onn with a grin. "Looks like this is going to be a scavenger hunt. Next step is to find the next map."

Space Ranger III

J'onn stared at the amulet for a few brief moments, like he had trouble taking his eyes off it, before turning to look at the tablet again, while Veronica explained.

"Treasure hunt, then?" 

There was a certain gleam in his eyes.

"So, what's the odds of you meeting those guys again?"

GM

As well as Veronica could make out, it seemed like the next gem was in another country entirely. Europe, to be exact. 

Everything pointed towards a site in Northern Germany, near the Elbe river to the West of Hamburg. Cross referencing the area didn't reveal anything that stood out in particular.

Veronica Danger

"Yes, something like that." Veronica replied with a smile as J'onn asked if they were on a treasure hunt. "And given what the sleezy leader of those guys in the desert said, I would expect that our chances of seeing them again is pretty good." She then added as she continued studying the table for a few moments before standing back up.

"Looks like our next stop is Europe, Germany to be exact." The teenage Danger stated, looking back toward the interior of the townhouse. "Prudence, I need you to arrange a vehicle in Hamburg. The next stop is to the west of the city near the Elbe."

With that, Veronica picked the table back up off the table and returned it to her extra-dimensional storage space.

GM

It didn't take Prudence long to arrange transportation to Germany. A Danger plane was ready at the nearest airport a few hours later, with a direct flight path to Hamburg airport.

A couple of bikes would be ready to get them to their next destination.

In the horizon, a plane took off, heading North.