A Space Pirate's Life For Me

Sri Kath'lana

The F'terrix Star Knight smiled behind the face mask of her helmet as Space Ranger once again encased Arryn Cia in ice once again. But that feeling was short lived as the criminal's thugs continued their attack, one of their number stepping forward to claim leadership with a great deal of false bravado.

But even as Kath'lana snarled and dodged a blaster shot aimed at her, she saw a familiar individual step forward to join the fray and take down one of the thugs.

Focusing her gaze on the one that had christened himself "Electric Eye," the emerald green glow around the Star Knight's armored gauntlets shifted and formed into similarly colored energy claws.

"That is an incredibly stupid name." She hissed before streaking forward toward presumed leader as her claws slashed out into him. Looking past him at the others the felinoid Star Knight snarled at the remaining thugs.

"Are the rest of you sure you want to continue down this path?"

GM

Electric Eye was down in a moment, before he could even think of something clever to say. One could only assume it was something to the effect of, "No, you have a stupid name!", but no one would ever really know. What was known, however, is that the thugs most definitely did not want to continue down this path. They dropped their weapons and promptly turned tail, running out of the bar as fast as they could. 

Kath'lana did not notice the ice surrounding Arryn Cia starting to crack. It wasn't until he started barreling towards her, screaming with inarticulate rage, that it caught her attention. With surprising speed, he came at her like a bull, swinging his ham-sized fists wildly. His desperate attack seemed to work, as one of his massive fists connected, dealing a punishing blow to the young Star Knight! 

Space Ranger III

"Frak!" What did it take to keep that guy on ice? This was the second time he'd broken out in far less time than J'onn would have liked. Even if everyone was going down and that Star Knight had already taken down the Electric Eye guy, that still meant they had to deal with Arryn... and he actually managed to hurt the Star Knight?

Alright, if ice wasn't cutting it, then he'd go for something else. "Laser Ray." The glowing parts of his ray guns shifted to a sharp red.

Rocketing to the side, J'onn started flying in circles around Arryn, repeatedly pulling the triggers on his weapons to bombard him with laser rays that soared towards him in various zig-zagging patterns.

GM 

Arryn was unable to fend off the multiple lasers. Each of Space Ranger's shots hit true, and he was completely unprepared for the rapid assault. He yelled inarticulately, and tried to hold his hands up defensively, but the damage was already done: Arryn Cia fell to the ground with a massive thud, knocking over a table as he did. Victory at last!

For a moment, there was only silence in the bar. Then, the bartender lifted up his head, waving a dishrag as a flag of surrender. "Did you get 'em?" he asked. "Well, if you did, then someone's gonna have to pay for all this!!" 

Sri Kath’lana

The Star Knight armor had protected Kath'lana from the brunt of Arryn Cia's powerful attack, but enough of the impact had still gotten through to briefly daze the young Star Knight as she was knocked to the ground. The F'terrix was just reorienting herself when Space Ranger unleashed a devastating barrage of laser blast on Cia that succeed in toppling over the hulking pirate.

"Well done." She commented honestly as she climbed back to her feet, looking over the several downed pirates for a brief moment. When the bartender spoke up from behind the cover of the bar the Star Knight looked over in his direction. "Article Sigma of the Citadel Compact allows you to submit a request for restitution from the local Lor authorities. I believe there is similar accommodation for losses resulting from Praetorian activities." She stated simply before looking back at the others.

"It is good to see you again Praetor Sitara." Kath'lana stated in greeting to Traveller before looking over at Space Ranger and Corsair.

"There was no real opportunity for introductions before, I am Sri Kath'lana."

Space Ranger III

J'onn couldn't resist. He spun the Ray Guns around in his hands, like grandpa had shown him, before holstering both at his sides. Now that had been awesome.

He waved briefly to Sri, acknowledging her introduction with "Space Ranger, from Korus," before continuing towards Corsair.

"See? Guess that settles who's the sidekick here." He crossed his arms and motioned with his heads towards the Star Knight and the Praetor. "So... mind telling me what this was about? If not, I'm pretty sure that Star Knight and Praetor would like to know."

Corsair

On 9/23/2021 at 1:03 PM, Thevshi said:

"It is good to see you again Praetor Sitara." Kath'lana stated in greeting to Traveller before looking over at Space Ranger and Corsair.

"There was no real opportunity for introductions before, I am Sri Kath'lana."

"Pleasure to meet you. You came just in the knick of time - my sidekick and I were about to finish them off, but you made it very easy for us, so for that, you have my thanks. I am Corsair, legendary outlaw of, uh. Space. Well, former outlaw anyway. Now...kind of doing whatever. Hmm."

On 9/24/2021 at 3:26 AM, RocketLord said:

"See? Guess that settles who's the sidekick here." He crossed his arms and motioned with his heads towards the Star Knight and the Praetor. "So... mind telling me what this was about? If not, I'm pretty sure that Star Knight and Praetor would like to know."

Corsair chuckled to himself, shaking his head with disbelief. "Oh, well that's just what a sidekick would say. There's nothing wrong with your station in life, my friend. Just accept that you'll always be second fiddle to me and we'll get along better as teammates. Denial is the first step to acceptance, you know."

"WELL, that's a pretty funny story, that. You see, I used to work for Cap, uh, I mean, Admiral Kraken's crew. You know, the typical rags to riches story. He saw that I was clearly the best member on his crew, so he heaped riches and fortune on me. But I started feeling bad, you know? Like I wasn't doing the right thing. Well, it is illegal, technically speaking (robbery, that is), but I knew my destiny was to do something more. Something...heroic!"

"...but I digress. They wanted the bounty on my head, which as I'm told, is quite a lot. You...won't turn me in for the bounty, will you? I could take all of you, hands tied behind my back, but I don't feel like it."

The Traveller

Storing her weapons she gave Kath'lana a suitable greeting, it was always good to meet friends out here especially when you’d been through adventures together. She then turned her attention to this newcomer, who might not be the brightest star in the nebula, though you couldn’t always tell.

Just so we’re clear you did just admit to two agents of interstellar law that you engaged in piracy with a know and wanted fugitive of the law?” Sitara explained with a bit of grin, and after a few seconds before added “Technically three but I’m off the clock right now!”

In her very long life she’d worked alongside many individuals that skirted the law and many of the rouges and renegades were better than those claiming to uphold the law. Sometimes you needed those types to get things done.

There may be an option here, there’s an option for you to surrender into a protective custody. Then these fine people will enlist you work off you crimes, probably by doing just what you’ve been doing here. Unless you rather go to jail obviously?”

On 9/26/2021 at 11:55 PM, RocketLord said:

Space Ranger III

Space Ranger paused, listening to the other guy and just... stood there for a second.

"You worked for Kraken?" 

Another pause, as he turned to the Praetor and the Star Knight.

"Just so we're clear: That whole sidekick bit is just banter. I do not know this guy."

"I feel like we're already off to a great start. Am I the only one who feels the camaraderie growing by the minute? While yes, I did work for the Admiral, I don't work for him now, and I renounced my life as a space pirate. Just because my, well, let's say storied past has a tendency to catch up with me doesn't mean I'm the villain Kraken is. Also, as much as you may deny it, I'm clearly a hero. Me, hero. You, sidekick."

On 9/27/2021 at 2:36 PM, Tiffany Korta said:

The Traveller

Storing her weapons she gave Kath'lana a suitable greeting, it was always good to meet friends out here especially when you’d been through adventures together. She then turned her attention to this newcomer, who might not be the brightest star in the nebula, though you couldn’t always tell.

Just so we’re clear you did just admit to two agents of interstellar law that you engaged in piracy with a know and wanted fugitive of the law?” Sitara explained with a bit of grin, and after a few seconds before added “Technically three but I’m off the clock right now!”

In her very long life she’d worked alongside many individuals that skirted the law and many of the rouges and renegades were better than those claiming to uphold the law. Sometimes you needed those types to get things done.

There may be an option here, there’s an option for you to surrender into a protective custody. Then these fine people will enlist you work off you crimes, probably by doing just what you’ve been doing here. Unless you rather go to jail obviously?”

"WELL that's a bit of an interesting take on that, but yes! Yes, I am admitting that mistakes have been made, and I try every day to atone for what I've done."

He stroked his chin at the offer of protective custody. The three do-gooders seemed genuine enough. They would be able to help him on his path to righteousness. But Vynn figured there was an angle here... "Yes. I surrender myself into your no-doubt capable hands. I will be happy to help the, uh, three law enforcement officers before me in the doing of their duties. And no, jail does not sound like a good idea."

He thrust his hands forward, and nodded at the three of them to do the same. "So! We are a team, then. What shall we call ourselves? How about...the Star Raiders?!"

Edited by Lone_Star

Sri Kath’lana

Kath'lana regarded the exchange between Space Ranger and Corsair for a few moments, her facial expression hidden behind the helmet of her Star Knight armor. The young F'terrix remained impassive when the issue of Corsair having once worked for Kraken came up.

The Star Knight had not really been intending to try to bring Corsair in for his former criminal past associated with Kraken. While on a technical level the former pirate was likely wanted for several crimes, on a more practical level, there was more than enough to keep the attention of the Star Knight corps busy than trying to run down every former criminal that has since sought to move past their criminal behavior.

However, Sitara made a rather interesting suggestion on how to deal with Corsair.

"Let's not get too ahead of ourselves." Kath'lana stated simply as Corsair suggested that they come up with a name for their "team."

"Normally taking someone into protective custody to allow them to seek to absolve themselves of past crimes is not something I would have time for. However, it just so happens that I am currently investigating something where having the assistance of someone who with a questionable past might be useful."

Space Ranger III

J'onn just shrugged at Corsair's retort on the hero and sidekick and turning a new leaf. Sure, fine, anybody wanna try to not be a bad guy? Go ahead, J'onn didn't mind. Still didn't mean that he'd want the Praetorian and Star Knight to think that he'd been working with Kraken, too.

"You work quick, huh?" J'onn asked Corsair, before turning to the Star Knight. "So, what's the deal? Anything I can help with?"

Corsair

On 10/1/2021 at 6:30 PM, Thevshi said:

"Let's not get too ahead of ourselves." Kath'lana stated simply as Corsair suggested that they come up with a name for their "team."

"Normally taking someone into protective custody to allow them to seek to absolve themselves of past crimes is not something I would have time for. However, it just so happens that I am currently investigating something where having the assistance of someone who with a questionable past might be useful."

Vynn chuckled and shook his head at the idea of "not getting ahead of ourselves". That was what got him here in the first place!

"Oh, Kat. May I call you Kat? I'm going to call you Kat. You clearly need my help. It is so lucky for you that we crossed paths, for every decision I've made has led me to you. And you, and you!" he said, pointing at the three of them. "I'll take you up on your offer. Adventure awaits us at every turn!" He spun around in a circle, clearly getting himself worked up.

"You! Kath! Your role on the team...let's see...you will be the duty-bound, captain with, uh, a heart of gold. I think. Jury's still out. And you! Space Ranger...you will be the ever-stalwart sidekick, ready to help me out in my hour of need! And you!" He pointed to Traveler, but kind of stood there for a moment, thinking. "I don't really know you that well, but let's put a pin in that for now!"

"So, Space Raiders," he said, unintentionally imitating another famous Earth captain by placing one leg up on a chair, "What's the mission?"

Sri Kath'lana

"I am already thinking this might be a mistake." Kath'lana muttered under her breath at Corsair’s exuberant comments. Quietly sighing, the Star Knight looked at Space Ranger and then the others.

"I have been investigating a smuggling operation that is operating out of this system. So far, I have been able to confirm that it is based out of facilities on one of the orbital cities around Dreeda III." The F'terrix Star Knight stated to the others.

"When all of this," the Star Knight gestured around the cantina, "came up, I was in the process of determining the best means of approaching the operation more covertly to avoid alerting them to my investigation and allowing them to slip away before I could fully shut the operation down."

Space Ranger III

"... I could just freeze him..." J'onn offered to no one in particular while Corsair ranted and raved about his whole little thing, before the Star Knight explained.

"Would a pincer attack work? Some of us go for their ships, some of us go for the bad guys and meet in the middle when they come running? I got a ship if anyone manages to get out."

Corsair

On 10/14/2021 at 12:41 PM, Thevshi said:

Sri Kath'lana

"I have been investigating a smuggling operation that is operating out of this system. So far, I have been able to confirm that it is based out of facilities on one of the orbital cities around Dreeda III." The F'terrix Star Knight stated to the others.

"When all of this," the Star Knight gestured around the cantina, "came up, I was in the process of determining the best means of approaching the operation more covertly to avoid alerting them to my investigation and allowing them to slip away before I could fully shut the operation down."

"And what exactly is being smuggled?" he said, interested in what Kath'lana had to say. "I'm ashamed to admit I was a part of many smuggling missions myself," he said, somewhat ashamed, "So if you would have me, I would be more than happy to offer my...expertise. And possibly my old contacts." He was now trying to balance the grip of his plasma blade on the palm of his hand, getting dangerously close to slicing a finger off. However, he snatched the grip out of the air at the last moment, and flicked the plasma off. "I may joke around, but it is my sincere intent to make recompense for my crimes. Whatever it takes."

On 10/15/2021 at 4:34 AM, RocketLord said:

Space Ranger III

"Would a pincer attack work? Some of us go for their ships, some of us go for the bad guys and meet in the middle when they come running? I got a ship if anyone manages to get out."

"Ah, there's a good idea! See, this is why you're in the Star Raiders!" he said, spreading his arms wide at the last two words. "You have a ship, you say? I would most definitely like to see it, being a fan of ships and other starworthy vessels."

GM

The bartender looked between the four members of this rather motley crew. His bar had been all but destroyed, and no one offered to pay for the damages. He could put up with quite a bit, sure, but this was too much. "Hey, either clean up my damn bar or get out!" he said, throwing a rag ineffectually in their direction. "Friggin' space pirates, what's this universe come to..." he grumbled to himself as he got a broom and started sweeping up the broken glass.

It wasn't really a big deal - these things tend to happen on the edge of the galaxy, anyway. But the team: a space pirate turned good, a cosmic adventurer, a Star Knight, and a traveler of the stars, made quite an odd quartet, but they would go on to do great things. This was only the beginning of the Star Raiders!