A Space Pirate's Life For Me

GM

The Last Outpost Cantina

Outskirts of Dreeda System

The Last Outpost Cantina, so named because it was the last watering hole for days in any direction, was having a quiet night for once. The bartender surveyed the scene, which mostly consisted of a few locals sitting at the bar quietly drinking, and a few patrons he didn't know were keeping to themselves, having a quiet conversation in the corner. The overhead fan spun lazily overhead, and muffled music came through the bar's crappy speakers.  Yes, it was certainly looking like a pleasant evening. No fights to break up, no guns to confiscate. No rabble tonight!

Edited by Lone_Star

Corsair

Vynn Zolaris kicked open the doors of the bar with a big smile, and looked around the room. Surely this would be the place to celebrate his escape from Captain Kraken's crew? He was told this was the last bar for quite a long way, and...it was fairly disappointing. Where were all the people? The cute waitresses? The karaoke? No, this wouldn't do at all, but it had to. He needed to unwind after days of being on the run. Surely they had already forgotten about him!

He sidled up to the bar, and dramatically flung his long jacket behind him as he took a seat. Among other effects, he 'appropriated' some outfits from Kraken's ship. Tonight he wore a midnight blue buttoned frock coat, complete with his favorite frilly jabot, matching blue velvet pants, and shiny black boots. If nothing else, Vynn knew how to dress for success!

"I must say, my good man, the scene here is...well, for lack of a better word, lacking. Is it usually this slow, or is this an off night?" Before the bartender could respond, Vynn continued: "Nevermind all that. Let me have a...well, whatever you have on tap will be fine, as long as you can get me a lot of it. You see, I am celebrating my freedom tonight. It is quite a tale if you care to hear it."

By now, Vynn's had attracted the attention of the dozen of so bar patrons, mostly because he was the loudest thing (both visually and aurally) in the room. If the bartender was going to interrupt him, now would have been the time, but Vynn continued, regardless: "It is a tale of high space piracy, a young boy forced into the service of the worst pirate in the galaxy: Captain Kraken! Pause for emphasis...

"I was the finest swordsman in the land, far exceeding any master's teaching within a few hours time. There was nothing more the world could teach me, and I was only ten years old! But fate had other plans..."

GM

As soon as Vynn asked if he wanted to hear his tale, he raised a hand and started to protest, but the young man immediately launched into his story. Eventually, he just stopped trying to shut him up. Damn space pirates, he muttered under his breath as he continued to polish the glasses. He had long stopped listening by the time the young man's story came to an end, but he had a strangely alluring presence. It was harder not to hear him than to simply ignore his extraordinary bravado. Well, as long as that's the only eventful thing that happens...

In the corner, a small group of patrons were listening. The bartender had paid them no mind, as they had been quiet thus far. But they had listened to Vynn's tale, and the six of them stood up and walked to the bar. Their leader cracked his knuckles - all four of them, as he sat down right next to Vynn, and one of his goons sat on the other side. He was a orange-skinned, massively muscled humanoid, and his shirtless torso was covered in tattoos. He raised a hand to the bartender, who quickly poured him a drink. The orange guy downed it in seconds, and reached in his glass for the cherry, which he chomped while staring at Vynn.

"So, tough guy. You were rolling with Captain Kraken? Well, it just so happens that he misses you. So why don't you come along real nicely and you two can talk it out? Real sweet-like," he said, showing his mismatched teeth in the approximation of a smile.

The bartender looked at Vynn, then the orange guy. "Now, gentlemen, I don't want any trouble tonight. You hear?"

"No, no. We aren't gonna have any trouble. That's not unless Mr. Fancy Shirt wants trouble." He grabbed and tugged on Vynn's jabot, tearing it a little. "Oops. Sorry."

Corsair

Vynn kept his cool as the two thugs sat next to him. He mentally noted how many there were: six in total. Piece of cake. But he was annoyed as the big guy ripped his favorite jabot. The very nerve of him! And him having just kept the bar entertained with his tale of adventure!

"No trouble at all, friend. But I don't exactly think Captain Kraken is going to welcome me back with open tentacles. In fact, I believe he will want me dead. So if you don't mind, how about I pay for your drinks and you say you never saw me here? That way, we both get what we want, right? I get to walk away, and you get the honor of having your drinks paid for by Vynn Zolaris, legendary space hero. That is, before I really get famous. Here, I'll even sign your napkin."

Vynn produced a feather quill from his coat, and signed CORSAIR in big, fancy letters. He nodded at his handiwork, then passed it to the big guy. "There! That will only appreciate in value as my deeds spread far and wide. So you hang onto that, and I'll be on my way," Vynn said as he slapped the money down on the table and got up to walk away.

GM

Vynn was quickly stopped by the four thugs standing in his way. They held their hands over blaster pistols and plasma blades, and stared at him menacingly. He had nowhere to run.

The big guy got up from the bar slowly, and cracked his neck. He crumbled up the bar napkin, and threw it over his shoulder. "Now, see. That ain't gonna work for me. How about we change the terms of our arrangement here. Either you get on my ship, and me and the boys take you to Kraken, or we take you there in a bodybag."

"And since we know all about you, how 'bout you hear my story? My name's Arynn Cia, and it'll be the last name you'll ever hear. How's that for a tale of adventure?" The big guy's thugs started to surround Vynn, moving ever closer, drawing their weapons.

Corsair

Vynn turned around as the men started to surround him. Well, this wasn't an ideal outcome. I really thought that would work...ah well.

He rested his hand on the ornate hilt of his trusty plasma saber, ready for when the time was right. He would not lose his life against these cretin this day. He had worked too long, and too hard to escape from Kraken to die on the floor of a dive bar.

In a flash Vynn drew his sword, and swept it in front of him with blinding speed, leaving a brief afterimage behind. In the same motion, he pressed a button on his shield belt, and a shimmering force field covered his body. He spoke, a final warning to them as the shield droned to life: "If that's the way you want it to go, then so be it. But know that this day you face the greatest Swordmaster the universe has ever known. Today you face...CORSAIR!"

• 2 weeks later...

SPACE RANGER III

"Four against one doesn't really seem fair."

A young humanoid in a mainly dark blue uniform with black and white markings had entered. The right side of his chest had a six pointed star icon. His features were obscured by the opaque orange visor on his helmet that only vaguely showed the location of his eyes, nose and mouth.

He already had a a blaster in his left hand, pointing it at the group of thugs. It was an old model, archaic even. Gun metal grey, a long barrel, a sight and 4 red power lines on the main part. He was holding it by his side, pointed at the group but not really taking aim.

The young humanoid reached up and hit the right side of his helmet, causing it to fold away, revealing his black hair and almost pink skin. 

"Hey, I'm the Space Ranger. How about you guys back away and we talk this out?"

GM

Arryn and his men moved all at once, started by the young humanoid's appearance. Some of them maintained their guns on Corsair, while others pointed at Space Ranger. Some moved their guns between the two of them, or aimed at both of them with a laser pistol in each hand. Arryn raised his hands, then spread them out in a gesture of mock supplication. He grinned at Space Ranger, showing pointed yellow teeth, and started to slowly advance on him.

"This don't concern you, Space Boy. This here's between me an' the turncoat over here. So why don't you fly on home to your mommy and we won't have to shove that antique blaster all the way up your - "

Corsair

"Gentlemen, gentlemen. As you can see, you're clearly outmatched. My personal bodyguard, the last of the Space Rangers, has come to my aid. (Please help me new guy) So you'd better drop your weapons or he'll be forced to bring a whole lot of pain to your respective craniums. He's the fastest draw in all of time and space (I'm stalling for time please shoot them) and sure as Darkstar looks good in black, you'll be sorry you ever crossed the duo of..."

Corsair sidled up right next to Space Ranger, so the two of them were posed back-to-back. He waved his plasma sword in a flourish in front of him, flipped it through the air, and caught it on the palm of his hand, then pointed it towards them with a rakish grin.

"Corsair and his trusty sidekick: Space Ranger!!"

Edited by Lone_Star
  • 1 month later...

Sri Kath'lana

As the scene began to unfold in the Last Outpost Cantina one figure that had been sitting in a shadowy corner had remained seated for a time, although green catlike eyes had watched the events playout. Sri Kath'lana of the Star Knights had come to the cantina as part of an investigation she had been conducting into some smuggling operations in the area that possibly had ties to one of the syndicates in Khanate space.

The young F'terrix had only recently completed her apprenticeship and been promoted to full status as a Star Knight. Thus far, most of her official assignments had simply involved patrolling sectors of space. While Kath'lana appreciated the majestic beauty that could be found out in the vast expanse of space, there certainly was a part of her that wished for a bit more excitement at times.

As the standoff appeared to be heading toward conflict, the young Star Knight stood up and moved out from behind the table she had been seated at. As she moved, the F'terrix activated her Star Knight armor, the green tinted armor quickly covering her light brown fur. Taking a couple of steps forward, the Star Knight spoke up to draw the attention of those involved in the stand-off.

"It may not be his concern, but it is mine." Kath’lana stated simply, her voice having a slightly metallic tone due to the armor's filter. "This system is under the authority of the Lor Republic, and pursuant to Article Epsilon of the Citadel Compact and the 56th Amendment to the Kesteven Accords, the Star Knight Corps shares jurisdiction."

GM

Some of Arryn's men started to shift uncomfortably, muttering something about the situation growing too hot, but they were quickly quelled by a greater fear of their boss. Arryn growled at them, and they aimed at the trio, some of them moving their guns between all three of them. Arryn rallied his men, with a simple question: "Who're you more scared of, a little kitty cat, or me?" The men responded by nodding and charging their weapons, their choice obvious.

The standoff came to a head when Arryn cracked his knuckles and bellowed: "KILL 'EM ALL!"

Space Ranger III

Shoot them? Yeah, sure, J'onn was about to shoot them, and then... a Star Knight? And everything exploding into full chaos!

The moment Arryn shouted for his men to attack, J'onn kneeled down and raised his ray guns towards one of the men.

"Please, you're clearly the sidekick here!"

He pulled the triggers on both ray guns, sending a pair of black rays filled with white lightning surging towards some of the thugs. Then, at the very last moment, they both changed direction and zigzagged across the room until finally heading towards Arryn.

"Take down the big guy first!"

GM 

Space Ranger fired his ray guns at the huge Arryn Cia, and they both hit true! However, the gigantic gangster shrugged off the blow with a mighty roar, and slammed his hands against the ground in rage! "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT, LITTLE MAN?! IS THAT ALL YOU GOT? You've got another thing comin' if you think I'm lettin' you get away with that! Kill them!"

He pointed at the three of them, growling inarticulate orders at his men, which they seemed to understand. "Drinks are on me for whoever brings me their heads!" He eyed Space Ranger, and got down into a runner's stance. He was ready to charge right at him! 

Edited by Lone_Star

Corsair

"Excuse me, you think I'm the sidekick? No, clearly I'm the main character in this story." He whipped his blade over his head and caught it with his off-hand, menacing one of Cia's thugs with it. "Now, if you were to be, say, an important side character, now that sounds more reasonable." 

With a flourish, he advanced rapidly towards one of the thugs, thrusting and slashing his blade with expert precision, his hand moving nearly too fast to see. The thug fell to the ground before Corsair could continue his constant repartee: "You're more of the honorable type, but I won't hold it against you."

"By the way, I didn't know my bounty warranted being picked up by a Star Knight. But I wouldn't mind you picking me up, darling!" he said to Kath'lana with a little wave. 

GM 

The situation was made more confusing with the sudden addition of another combatant, and the thugs working for Cia couldn't keep up! As one of their number fell to the ground, the others fired at the heroes, some of them firing well above their heads! The bar, however, was riddled with laser fire, glasses and bottles at the bar shattering as their random firing demolished the bar. The men were screaming, but whether that was from the excitement of the battle or just plain fear, was not clear to those participating. 

"I don't think we got this! This don't feel like an easy bounty no more!" one of the thugs shouted to no one in particular. 

Sri Kath'lana

As the situation exploded into actual combat, Kath'lana remained calm as her armor’s systems scanned the various opponents as well as her present allies. Although having the henchmen for the large leader fire wildly within the establishment created a dangerous situation for bystanders, she could not help but agree with the one calling himself Space Ranger that Arryn Cia was the more immediate threat.

As her armor recalibrated its weapon systems, the F'terrix raised her hands toward Cia. Bands of emerald green energy flashed out toward the towering opponent. Although they hit Cia, they failed to completely immobilize him, but did at least partially entangle the criminal, which would hopefully prevent him from rushing Space Ranger.

The faceplate of the Star Knight’s helmet hid her annoyed expression at Corsairs little quip. Shifting slightly to keep the henchmen in view, Kath’lana simply replied, "try not to let your ego get inflated larger than it already is. I am here for other reasons."

GM

This was definitely a surprise that Arryn wasn't expecting. As he barreled towards Space Ranger, the emerald bands snapped around his arms and legs, throwing off his attack! He slammed into a table, demolishing it completely. However, if the heroes were expecting the fight to be over that quickly, they were in for a surprise. As he slowed to a stop, he was already struggling against his bonds, overcoming the energy snares with sheer force of muscle.

He growled and snarled, unable to free himself, but still able to move enough to be dangerous. "NO BONDS CAN HOLD ARRYN CIA FOR LONG! COME FIGHT ME HAND-TO-HAND, YOU COWARD!" he shouted over the battle at Kath'lana. "AND WHO TAUGHT YOU BLUBBERING FOOLS HOW TO SHOOT?!?!  THEY'RE STANDING RIGHT THERE!"

Space Ranger III

"Nah. You're the sidekick." 

J'onn twirled the ray gun in his right hand around, bringing it up to take aim as Arryn raced towards him, before being caught and held by the emerald bands. 

"Freeze Ray."

He squeezed the trigger, a chaotic white-blue beam shooting out from the gun before hurling towards Arryn to encase him in ice if it hit. Activating his jetpack, J'onn sent him flying back, away from Arryn. That should hopefully take care of him.

Corsair

"Oh, please, really now. I believe if I were the sidekick, then surely you'd have taken down one of these - "

Vynn froze in action as he watched the massive Arryn Cia frozen by his freeze ray blast. For the first time in many a year, Vynn had nothing to say.

But he quickly found something anyway. "This only proves my point," he continued, lunging forward to take out one of Cia's men, almost as an afterthought. "I believe you were here to rescue me, the hero, in my darkest hour. This proves that you're a stalwart and capable sidekick, if that helps at all. How do you weigh in on this, Star Knight? I mean, clearly, I'm the hero."

GM

Arryn Cia was encased in a massive block of ice formed by Space Ranger's freeze ray, his expression literally frozen in place, and he now resembled a museum-quality stuffed yeti. Underneath the ice, his lips were still moving, no doubt having colorful words to say about his nemeses, but those words would never be known.

His henchmen, on the other hand, seemed to act well without their bosses' constant threats. They coordinated their attacks against Corsair and Space Ranger, and though the former was able to dodge their laser blasts, two of them hit Space Ranger as he flew into the air. "I think we got 'em, guys, we got 'em! That bounty is gonna be all ours! We ain't gonna have to split it with Arryn no more!" said an overconfident thug.

Sri Kath'lana

The F'terrix Star Knight had been about to continue trying to bind Arryn Cia, but then Space Ranger used a freeze ray which served to completely immobilize the hulking criminal. With that threat eliminated for the time being, Kath'lana switched to her blasters as she turned to regard the remaining thugs that had been following Cia.

Surprisingly, they were not disheartened by the defeat of their leader, focusing their attacks on Corsair and Space Ranger, who continued their banter about which of them was the more important. When Corsair sought Kath'lana's input on the subject, the Star Knight simply responded back with a curt, "lets focus on what’s more important right now!"

She then fired off a blast of emerald green energy at one of the remaining thugs, but the target just barely managed to dodge aside, causing the young F'Terrix to snarl in frustration.

GM

Arryn Cia struggled mightily against the ice and energy bands. Hearing his crew turn against him immediately gave him the inspiration he needed to break out! Well, try to, anyway. With a furious roar, he flexed his way out of the icy bonds holding him, and he spread his four arms wide as he screamed a battle cry! He almost fell flat on his face when he realized the energy bonds still held him!

If it wasn't clear before, now he was* really* mad. Mad at his crew, mad at the bounty actually defeating his men, and mad at the interlopers who were, if he was being honest, really ruining his day. Anyone else would have reconsidered their life choices, but not Arryn Cia. Like so many before him, he doubled down on what was quickly becoming a very bad idea.

"AIN'T NO ONE TAKING THE BOUNTY BUT ME! KEEP FIRING, OR I'LL SEND YOU OUT THE AIRLOCK WITHOUT A HELMET, YOU TRAITORS!"

"...AND SOMEONE GET ME OUTTA THIS ENERGY CRAP!"

Space Ranger III

J'onn moved about the room, staying above ground and mobile to avoid getting too close either the leader of this crew or the rest of the people.

He ignored the Star Knight's plea on focusing on what was more important. Focus? For these guys? Like he needed that. They were small fry, nothing to be worried about at all. 

"You got it all wrong, buddy," he moved back, closer to Corsair and then fired another Freeze Ray at the leader of the group. "The hero shows up at the last moment to keep the bumbling sidekick out of trouble. That's how the stories go."

GM 

Just as Corsair was about to fire back with another retort, Space Ranger fired another freeze ray which encased Arryn Cia in ice. This time, however, it covered up his mouth, so he could no longer bark orders to his men! The bar was still noisy, however, as his thugs rallied around the guy who spoke up before. Loyalty is very difficult to come by! 

"Alright, you sons-of-laser-guns! The boss ain't comin' back from this one, so I'm in charge now!" The thug challenged the rest of his gang with a robotic eye, and just for effect, pointlessly cocked his laser rifle and fired it into the ceiling. The bartender had long hidden himself away in a hatch under the bar, but unbeknownst to the party, he cringed as he mentally added up the damages. 

"Rally around me and we can take 'em out!", he shouted, moving to a corner of the room. "Cap'n Kraken's gonna have to take him in dead!" The men ran to their new leader's aid, positioning themselves in front of him, and fanning their fire out to fill the room. Their shots were mostly ineffective, but the new leader snagged Space Ranger in the arm. "...and there's plenty more where that came from, or my name isn't...isn't..." He paused for a long period of time. "The Electric Eye! Yeah!"

The Traveller

Sitara had been tracking down a rumour of a lost and ancient site, a bust as it happened, when she decided to check out an old watering hole she’d remembered in this neck of the universe. Good dive were hard to find and it was always a shame when the went legitimate. Thankfully this place seemed not only to be still rough, or rough again, but there seemed to be a bar-room brawl in progress.

Nice of them to put on a floor show! Be a shame to refuse such a generous offer.”

As she moved into the room she quickly worked out who were the bad guys, recognising a face or two from previous encounters. As she move she split her pike into two and set them for a neurological paralysing shock, enemies or no you didn’t hurt anyone in a brawl!