Corsair (PL 10 Space Pirate)

???????

Power Level: 10
Unspent Power Points: 0
Trade-Offs: +4 Attack / -4 Damage, +4 Defense / -4 Toughness

In Brief: Dangerously charismatic former space pirate turned gloryhound hero. Alternatively, a space dandy, from space. 

Catchphrase

ThemeTheme from Black Sails by Bear McCreary

Alternate Identity: Vynn Zolaris
Birthplace: The streets of Nocturis

Residence: Space
Base of Operations: Spaaace
Occupation: Adventurer, dashing rogue, occasional ne'er-do-well, and currently, hero. 
Affiliations: None, former member of Captain Kraken's crew
Family: Sareen Zolaris (Mother, location unknown), Darryn Zolaris (Father, deceased)

Description:
Ethnicity: Tan skin tone
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 150 lbs.
Eyes: Light blue
Hair: Black

Physical Appearance:

Vynn is a small and very handsome Lor, always with a ready smile and sharp tongue. Vynn wears his black hair long, typically tied in a simple ponytail with a silver ring. He has tan skin and piercing blue eyes. 

Let it never be said that Vynn doesn't dress well. He always tries his best to stand out wherever he can. His outfits can range from subtle to utterly outrageous, but he seems to be able to pull them off with utter panache. It usually includes a fine jacket with a frilly jabot, and a full-length coat made of an extravagant material. He wears long boots, but many, many hours of practice with his plasma rapier have made him able to fight in whatever footwear he finds himself in. He would sit somewhere between a Disney pirate and Victorian dandy, if seen by an Earthling. 

History:

Vynn has told no one his actual history: he prefers to keep his audience guessing (audience being anyone and everyone he speaks to), giving them a different tall tale of adventure and derring-do each time he is asked. 

The truth, the real truth, is much sadder. Vynn grew up in the slums of Nocturis, his family's business taken over by the Dakkaris crime family that runs it. His father, an astrogater, sold star maps to travelers across the universe, but his business wasn't bringing in enough. He took some money from a dangerous loan shark, and after defaulting on the payment, sent word to the Dakkaris, who dispatched a legbreaker to get the money. Vynn's father was shot in front of him, and his mother was hauled away, never to be seen by him again, leaving Vynn to fend for himself on the streets. 

He joined up with a few youth gangs, and though he was beaten to a pulp many times, he soon found his silver tongue got him into the good graces of some. By the age of 12, Vynn was running his own gang, his crew stealing and fencing goods across the city. 

It was on one of these runs that he robbed a ship that would define him for the rest of his life: he robbed Captain Kraken's ship! Vynn had heard that the good Captain was in town, and snuck into his quarters to try to rob him blind. Kraken awoke, and grabbed the boy while his crew scattered, leaving Vynn to his fate. Instead of throwing the boy into the vacuum of space, Kraken put him to work as the ship's cabin boy, where Vynn worked harder than he could have imagined. The work made him strong, and soon he was tolerated by the crew, and even liked. One pirate in particular, the ship's quartermaster, saw a potential in him. A former Swordmaster, Kyyrin Doss the quartermaster was an expert in many forms of combat. Vynn took to it naturally, and through intense training, he was soon an equal to the old Swordmaster. 

Personality & Motivation:

Vynn wants to have fun, and be noticed. He does not believe something is worth doing unless it is done with style, in front of as large an audience as possible. He has lived much of his life under the thumb of Captain Kraken, and now he is wanting to put his skills to his own use, and do something good for the universe. However, that doesn't mean that he doesn't want to have a good time doing so. Old habits are hard to break, though, and Vynn, while charming, can come across as manipulative and callous at times. He has had to use his silver tongue to survive for so long, it's hard for him not to use people if they have something he wants. However, Vynn is trying his hardest to be a hero, even if it doesn't come naturally to him. 

Powers & Tactics:

Vynn is an extraordinarily skilled swordsman, and uses his incredible dexterity and charisma to maximum effect. He is very athletic, and can fight under difficult conditions, while still maintaining proper form. He also does not fight fair in any way, shape, or form. He firmly believes that the winner is the last person standing, and he uses every opportunity to distract his opponents and misdirecting them into making a mistake, which he immediately responds to. 

He carries a plasma rapier, and the techniques and forms he learned from Kyyrin Doss make him an opponent easily underestimated, which he uses to his full advantage. His personal shield assists him by providing another layer of distraction, as the slight visual displacement the shield provides means his opponents will not quite know where to look.

Power Descriptions:

Vynn's plasma rapier resembles the Earth weapon of the same name. It has an ornate silver handle and when drawn, the blade emits glowing white plasma, which leaves thin afterimages in the air as Vynn flips and parries blows from his enemies. Vynn is very proud of it, and keeps it maintained as well as he can. 

His personal shield projector Vynn wears on his belt. It produces a low, droning sound, and subtly distorts the air in front of Vynn, which he has learned to use as an advantage. It blurs his image just slightly, so that his opponents have a hard time figuring out exactly where he is. 

Complications:

Bad Reputation: In some systems, Vynn will still be known as a pirate. This may cause issues from time to time. 

Abilities: 0+ 16 + 6 + 2 + 4 + 16 = 44PP
Strength: 10 (+0)
Dexterity: 26 (+8)
Constitution: 16 (+3)
Intelligence: 12 (+1)
Wisdom: 14 (+2)
Charisma: 26 (+8)

Combat: 16 + 16 = 32PP
Initiative: +12 (+8 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Attack: +8 Base, +10 Melee, +14 Plasma Rapier
Defense: +14 (+8 Base, +6 Dodge Focus), +4 Flat-Footed
Grapple: +10 (+8 Base Attack + 2 Melee Attack + 0 Strength Bonus)
Knockback: +3

Saves: 3 + 4 + 4 = 11PP
Toughness: +6 (+3 Con, +2 Defensive Roll, +1 Protection)
Fortitude: +6 (+3 Con, +3)
Reflex: +12 (+8 Dex, +4)
Will: +6 (+2 Wis, +4)

Skills: 80R = 20PP
Acrobatics 12 (+20) Skill Mastery
Bluff 12 (+20) Skill Mastery
Gather Info 4 (+12)
Intimidate 4 (+12)

Knowledge (streetwise) 11 (+12)
Notice 8 (+10) Skill Mastery
Sense Motive 13 (+15) Skill Mastery
Sleight of Hand 4 (+12)
Stealth 12 (+20)

Feats: 19PP
Attack Focus (Melee) 2
Attack Specialization (Plasma Rapier) 2
Challenge [Fast Feint]
Challenge [Fast Taunt]
Defensive Roll 1
Evasion 2
Improved Initiative   
Luck 2
Move-By Action
Power Attack
Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Bluff, Notice, Sense Motive)
Takedown Attack 2
Taunt
Uncanny Dodge (Visual)  

Enhanced Feats

Dodge Focus 6

Powers: =  1 + 12 + 11  + 11 = 26PP

Leaping 1 (x2, Running Long Jump 28', Standing Long Jump 19', Vertical Leap 7') [1PP]

Plasma Rapier 4 (20DP Device; Flaws: Easy-to-Lose) [12PP] (Technology)

Sword Fighting Array 6.5 (18DP Array; Feats: Alternate Power 2) [20DP] (Training)

Base Power: Strike 6 (Remise; Extras: Autofire, Penetrating 6) {18/18}

Alternate Power: Strike 6 (Lunge; Extras: Penetrating 6, Feats: Extended Reach 1 [5 ft.], Improved Critical 2, Precise) {16/18}

Alternate Power: Strike 6 (Riposte; Extras: Action 3 [Reaction]; Flaws: Limited [Only After Opponent Misses in Melee]) {18/18}

Personal Shield 3 (15DP Device; Flaws: Hard-to-Lose; Drawbacks: Noticeable [Produces Sound]) [11PP] (Technology)

Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Extras: Duration [Continuous]; Flaws: Limited [Miss Chance Only]) [8DP]

Enhanced Feat 6 (Dodge Focus 6) [6DP]

Protection 1 [1DP]

Speed 1 (10 MPH / 100' per Move Action) [1PP]

DC BLOCK

ATTACK

RANGE

SAVING THROW

EFFECT

Unarmed (+10)

Touch

DC 15 Toughness

Damage (Bludgeoning)

Remise

Touch

DC 21 Toughness

Damage (Piercing)

Lunge

10 ft.

DC 21 Toughness

Damage (Piercing)

Riposte

Touch

DC 21 Toughness

Damage (Piercing)

Totals: Abilities (44) + Combat (32) + Saving Throws (10) + Skills (20) + Feats (19) + Powers (25) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

Edited by Lone_Star

I know I helped with a few things already, but let's give it another look.

Abilities

Looking good.

Combat

You should note how you arrive at Initiative +12 (+8 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)

You need to fill in Grapple and Knockback. Remember that Attack Focus [Melee] applies to the grapple bonus.

Saves

I got some good news for you about Defensive roll, but I'll put that under feats.

Your Fort and Will saves are off, I guess you're using the ability scores bonuses from an earlier version where you have 18 Con and 12 Wis.

Skills

Looks fine.

Feats

We got a House Rule for Defensive Roll. 1 rank of Defensive Roll. You get +2 TOU per rank of Defensive Roll.

With your high Reflex Save and low other saves, I'd consider increasing your Evasion to rank 2.

You should note your enhanced feats here, just make a subheader, something along the lines of 

Enhanced Feats

Dodge Focus 6

Improved Block

Powers

You should fix the formatting for your powers. Flaws, Feats, Extras etc. in italic, power name and rank in bold and so on.

While you of course don't have to, why not spend the rest of the DP in the Strike powers for the Sword Fighting array? You could add Precise or more ranks of Penetrating to both, since it is a plasma rapier.

As I mentioned when we discussed it over discord, I'm not really sure how useful the Riposte Strike will be, or if the refs will allow it. Just remember that in order to use it, you will have to remember to switch your array to Riposte at the end of your turn. Then, if you want to attack, you need to switch back on the next turn and won't be able to switch to Riposte again, so... something you gotta prep, at least. But I'll leave to the refs whether they'll allow it or not!

Drawbacks

You should apply the Noticable drawback to individual powers, but I'm not really sure if it would apply to any of the powers you got, since they're usually noticeable in some way. Maybe for your Concealment or Enhanced Feat powers in the Personal Shield?

Final notes

In order to meet caps with Toughness, I'd suggest you lower Defensive Roll to Defensive Roll 1, and switch the Improved Block feat from the Personal Shield to a single rank of Protection. That way your Toughness will be +6 (+3 Con, +2 Defensive Roll, +1 Protection), and you will have 2PP freed from your Feats that you can use to buy Improved Block as a non-enhanced feat and spend the last one to buy off the Noticable drawback, which should put you at 150/150.

Combat

Initiative is fixed, Grapple/Knockback are added (or will be momentarily after I post this). 

Saves

Fixed, found some points to at least bump up Fort and Will to +6. 

Feats

Gotcha, thanks for the info about Defensive Roll. Took your advice about Protection under Powers. Also, increased Evasion by 1 and put a subheading about Enhanced Feats

Powers

I think the formatting is better? Not sure how to format the Sword-Fighting Array, though. I also took the rest of the Device points under his Strike powers.

We will see what the Refs think of Riposte, or have any other suggestions for how to model that ability. I really like the fencing theme! 

Drawbacks

Is that better, or do I need to change it to something else?

Final Notes

I switched Improved Block to one rank of Defensive Roll to get my Toughness up to caps. 

As discussed on discord, a potential way to setup your powers, and moving noticeable into the shield.

Also bumping the Sword Fighting array to the proper rank 9.

Powers: =  12 + 12 + 1  + 1 = 26PP

Plasma Rapier 4 (20DP Device; Flaws: Easy-to-Lose) [12PP] (Technology)

Sword Fighting Array 6.5 (18DP Array; Feats: Alternate Power 2) [20DP] (Training)

Base Power: Strike 6 (Remise; Extras: Autofire, Penetrating 6) {18/18}

Alternate Power: Strike 6 (Lunge; Extras: Penetrating 6, Feats: Extended Reach 1 [5 ft.], Improved Critical 2, Precise) {16/18}

Alternate Power: Strike 6 (Riposte; Extras: Action 3 [Reaction]; Flaws: Limited [Only After Opponent Misses in Melee]) {18/18}

Personal Shield 3 (15DP Device; Flaws: Hard-to-Lose; Drawbacks: Noticeable [Produces Sound]) [11PP] (Technology)

Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Extras: Duration [Continuous]; Flaws: Limited [Miss Chance Only]) [8DP]

Enhanced Feat 6 (Dodge Focus 6) [6DP]

Protection 1 [1DP]

Leaping 1 (x2, Running Long Jump 28', Standing Long Jump 19', Vertical Leap 7') [1PP]

Speed 1 (10 MPH / 100' per Move Action) [1PP]