The Immutable Betsy Brooks
Betsy grabbed up the map and strolled with some confidence into the graveyard, truth be told she was relying more on her preternatural senses than any map reading ability. She quickly abandoned the foot paths as they travelled back through the history of Freedom Cities finest. Betsy was pretty sure that no one here would be to worried about her path through the graveyard.

We’re almost there I think! I’m not sure how we’ll be welcomed so expect the unexpected.”

Betsy was pretty sure that he wouldn’t be upset, but she had a way of rubbing people the wrong way without trying.

For Luke, walking through a graveyard with the intent to fight definitely felt a bit weird, then again, vengeful nostalgia zombies, graveyards had to be their natural habitats, right?

Still the atmosphere was enough to keep him more than a little on edge, muscle tense and senses in high alert, in case some undead decided that waiting for them to bust its ass was not a good idea and instead attacked first (besides, he had seen enough zombie movie in his young life to get some expectations of what might happen next...).

"Sure." Now, exactly how does one expect the unexpected eluded the seventeen years old, but then again, Betsy was the seasoned hero there and Luke was somewhat confident that she would know what to do. Besides, he was gonna keep watch just in case.

"You ok?" He turned to face his girlfriend during the walk, knowing how sensible she was when magic was involved.

• 1 month later...

Shadowborne

Muirne was slightly paler than her normal when Luke turned to face her as her mind raced. She's had options, a wealth of abilities that would let her combat any foe she could face. The fact that it was magic didn't matter right? She took a shaky breath before answering his question. "I'll be fine." A flimsy smile graced her lips as she answered him. "Just nervous I guess. This whole talk of zombies is... Slightly concerning." Unbidden the image of Dougal, shambling towards her, his evil eye alight with hate came to mind. She squashed it down and settled her shoulders, although her stomach wasn't so obedient. She could make it through this.

• 3 weeks later...

The Immutable Betsy Brooks

Tucked away almost impossible to find without knowing was a small crypt apparently from the Revolutionary era. With hardly a pause Betsy made her way down the stair, despite the warnings the interior seemed to be bathed into a soft light.

Nice know someone left a light on for us.” Betsy whispered “It should be fine but stay alert just in case!”

Inside the vault was the figure of a man dressed in suitable clothes for the tomb, a tricorn hat and jaunty look on his face. If you weren’t on guard for the weirdness you might have missed that he was slightly translucent, illuminated by his lamp.

Ladies and Gentleman, this is Lantern Jack. Who hopefully is going to help us here...”

"I'll be fine."

Luke smiled softly in return. "I know you will..." He still offered her his hand. In truth, the young man had felt the urge to give his girlfriend a hug, but then again, they were on a mission after all. "You are pretty badass." He chuckled, instead. 

"Just nervous I guess. This whole talk of zombies is... Slightly concerning." 

"Only slightly?" Luke grinned. In truth though, zombies didn't exactly scare him that much, he has had a share of fights with the undead already and had seen enough movies not to really consider them a threat, but then again, even if he was not exactly aware of her past, he could understand Muirne's concerns.

Nice know someone left a light on for us.” Betsy whispered “It should be fine but stay alert just in case!”

"Uh... Ok..." Luke tilted his head sideways a little as he followed Betsy into the crypt, he felt a bit awkward perhaps in invading someone's final resting place, superhero duty or not. 

Ladies and Gentleman, this is Lantern Jack. Who hopefully is going to help us here...”

"Hey..." The young man waved at the ghost. "Nightscale here." He introduced himself, wondering if he should call the guy Mr. Lantern? Jack? Whatever. 

"You are... dead, right?" He metaphorically bit his tongue, realizing that much likely it wasn't the kind of sentence that someone undead might enjoy to hear, but it was too late to take it back wasn't it?