Brimstone and Bullet Casings (OOC)

Kaede Kimura

Well, Nightscale can try to jump to the demon and then knock it back on the ground with his Wing Buffet: 

Trip 8 (Extras: Area [Type: General; Shape: Burst; Size: 40ft]; Knockback, Flaws: Range [Touch]) [16PP]

Although I imagine that the demon can just fly back up hehe.

Or he can try to grab him and drag him down. That said... I'm not sure it would be wise for him to grab a spined demon.

Right I think that nat 20s still autopass, but otherwise he can't beat that! Reflex 1d20+2 = 17 is better than 90% of my rolling is still a failure by 5 or more so he is bound and helpless!

Okay, Muirne is gonna use Extra Effort with a HP to avoid exhaustion to power stunt her dimensional super-movement into the cheapest damage power I ever did build:
Damage 4 (Shadow Bolts; Extras: Autofire, Range; Feats: Accurate 4; Flaws: Action [Full Action], Distracting, Limited [Living Targets Only]; Drawbacks: Full Power, Non-Lethal, Power Loss [Daytime (Common)] [-2PP]) (Dimensional, Darkness, Shattenwelt)

I hate that thing, but you do what you gotta do when you have 2PP to play with...

She will use her terrible stunt to blast a demon (hopefully) down! 1d20+12 = 24! She hits with a +2 Damage Bonus from Autofire. (Max Half Rank, thanks RL)

DC21 Toughness Save. 1d20+4 = 18 is a fail which means that, per the minion rules, he is down. The demon's luck has run out, and both of them are down and you guys are out of combat.

Shadowborne is down to 2HP, and everyone is unharmed. IC to follow.

EDIT: Okay, Thevshi reminded me about the minion rules saying that you can take a 10 and I realized that I never communicated that they were minions. I'll give you both a HP along the 'Gamemaster Fiat' lines. Sorry about that you two.

Edited by Kaede Kimura

As per our talk... Charlie got time to set up 25 traps, and do a Master Plan in preparation.

So, let's start with Master Plan: 28

That's a +3 bonus to Attack and Skill rolls for all of us once Charlie initiates the bonus, lasting fully for 3 rounds, then dropping by 1 each round until its gone.

Trap types

Illusion 8 (Auditory; Extras: Independent (+0); Feats: Progression [Area] 3, Triggered 2) (50 ft. radius area) {13/17DP(Descriptors: Noisemaker, Playback Device, Sound, Remote Activated)

Snare 8 (Flaws: Action [Full]; Feats: Improved Critical 1, Improved Range 1, Reversible, Tether, Triggered 2, Variable Descriptor 2 [Any Technological]) {16/17DP(DescriptorsHigh Tech Snares, Nets, Cuffs, Rapidly Expanding Foam, Shock Field, etc.)

Trip 8 (Feats: Improved Critical 1, Improved Range 1, Improved Trip, Subtle 1, Triggered 2, Variable Descriptor 2 [Any Technological]) {16/17DP(Descriptors: Trip Tricks, Various Tripwires, Bolas, Snarelines, etc.)

All Snares should tether the targets to the ground.

Noisemaker + Snare Combo

I'll place 5 Noisemakers scattered around the area. 3 on the ground, 2 on rooftops near buildings. Their triggers are all set to Remote Activation.

I'll place 5 High Tech Snares, one by each Noisemaker, with a proximity trigger, if they come to investigate the noises. The descriptor is Cold, with a rapid freeze that creates a block of ice to immobilize them.

Freeze Snare 1 to 5, rolled in order: 19, 17, 20, 25, 18

Tripwires near the Gangster

I'll place 5 Tripwires around the gangster hanging upside down, as snarelines to make them trip, with a proximity trigger.

Tripwire 1 to 5 near the upside down gangster, rolled in order: 13, 27 (CRIT!), 25, 16, 10

Ground Level Snares

6 Snares placed around the road in the alley, all rapidly expanding hardening foam. They are all Remote Activated.

Foam Snares 1 to 6, rolled in order: 14, 13, 15, 21, 18, 26

Roof Level Snares

4 Snares placed on the walls of the buildings in the alley, shooting out a high tech net that catches around a target, remaining stuck to the point of origin with a tether. They are all Remote Activated.

Net Snares 1 to 4, rolled in order: 23, 15, 11, 27 (CRIT!)

And Charlie would like to gag the gangster and go hiding at Stealth 25 with Skill Mastery.

Edited by RocketLord
  • 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, Muirne is gonna do this:

Alternate Power: [8 + 5 + 4 + 1 = 18PP] Additional Descriptor(s): (Portal, Gateway, Aura, Covering)

Concealment 4 (Shadow Covering; All Visual Senses; Extras: Affects Others; Flaws: Passive) [8PP] 

Dimensional Pocket 1 (Well Storing; Extras: Duration 3 [Continuous, Lasting]; Flaws: Requires Grapple; Feats: Progression 1 [250lbs]) [5PP]

Super-movement 1 (Dimensional Movement [Schattenwelt]; Extras: Duration [Continuous]; Linked [Speed (+0)]; Feats: Progression 1 [250lbs]) [4PP]
Speed 1 (Extras: Linked [Speed (+0)]) [1PP]

And use Concealment on Luke, Charlie and herself.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so once you guys leave touch range Muirne's Concealment will stop on you, and regardless it is passive, so if she's still touching you and you attack you will be revealed. Moving on, Muirne's initiative is 1d20+9 = 10 hahahaha. She's clearly focused on other things.

Will get on the demons Initiatives tomorrow, is just a bit late for me to hunt down their papers, but you guys do have a surprise round so if you wanna go. Order currently is:

16 - Nevermore II - 4HP - Unharmed

11 - Nightscale - 4HP - Unharmed

10 - Shadowborne - 3HP - Unharmed

There are seventeen humans and thirteen demons. The breakdown is as follows:

Gangsters (17):

Gangster leader x1

Gangsters w. Guns x3

'Budget Demon' Gangsters x10

Other Gangsters x3

Demons (14):

Lead demon x1

Flying Crystaline Demons x3

Spinethrowers x5

Flying Translucent Demons x5

They are split into the following groups:

Primary group

Gangster leader x1

Gangsters w. Guns x3

Other Gangsters x3

Lead demon x1

Flying Crystaline Demons x3

They are grouped in the middle of the street

Search Groups

1. 'Budget Demon' Gangsters x2
    Spinethrowers x2

2. 'Budget Demon' Gangsters x2
    Spinethrowers x1
    Flying Translucent Demon x1

3. 'Budget Demon' Gangsters x2
    Spinethrowers x1

4. 'Budget Demon' Gangsters x2
    Spinethrowers x1

5. 'Budget Demon' Gangsters x2
    Flying Translucent Demon x2

Group 1 has entered the alleyway, 2 is heading forward down the street, 3 is backtracking down the street and 4 & 5 are heading towards the buildings

Edited by Kaede Kimura

Keeping track of stuff in the spoiler.

I'll throw a Noisemaker near the bound gangster, having it call out for help. That's a DC18 Will Save to avoid being tricked by the sound. Just loud enough that group 1 can hear it.

As they get near the gangster, that should activate the proximity trigger of the Tripwires.

I'll activate one a noisemaker out in the street at ground level near group 2, having the gangster calling for help as the sound. 

Same thing with group 3. 

If they get close enough, I'll trigger the first 2 of the freeze snares.

I'll trigger any snares if anyone gets too close to them.

Spoiler

So, let's start with Master Plan: 28

That's a +3 bonus to Attack and Skill rolls for all of us once Charlie initiates the bonus, lasting fully for 3 rounds, then dropping by 1 each round until its gone.

Trap types

Illusion 8 (Auditory; Extras: Independent (+0); Feats: Progression [Area] 3, Triggered 2) (50 ft. radius area) {13/17DP(Descriptors: Noisemaker, Playback Device, Sound, Remote Activated)

Snare 8 (Flaws: Action [Full]; Feats: Improved Critical 1, Improved Range 1, Reversible, Tether, Triggered 2, Variable Descriptor 2 [Any Technological]) {16/17DP(DescriptorsHigh Tech Snares, Nets, Cuffs, Rapidly Expanding Foam, Shock Field, etc.)

Trip 8 (Feats: Improved Critical 1, Improved Range 1, Improved Trip, Subtle 1, Triggered 2, Variable Descriptor 2 [Any Technological]) {16/17DP(Descriptors: Trip Tricks, Various Tripwires, Bolas, Snarelines, etc.)

All Snares should tether the targets to the ground.

Noisemaker + Snare Combo

I'll place 5 Noisemakers scattered around the area. 3 1 on the ground, 2 on rooftops near buildings. Their triggers are all set to Remote Activation.

I'll place 5 High Tech Snares, one by each Noisemaker, with a proximity trigger, if they come to investigate the noises. The descriptor is Cold, with a rapid freeze that creates a block of ice to immobilize them.

Freeze Snare 1 to 5, rolled in order: 19, 17, 20, 25, 18

Tripwires near the Gangster

I'll place 5 Tripwires around the gangster hanging upside down, as snarelines to make them trip, with a proximity trigger.

Tripwire 1 to 5 near the upside down gangster, rolled in order: 13, 27 (CRIT!), 25, 16, 10

Ground Level Snares

6 Snares placed around the road in the alley, all rapidly expanding hardening foam. They are all Remote Activated.

Foam Snares 1 to 6, rolled in order: 14, 13, 15, 21, 18, 26

Roof Level Snares

4 Snares placed on the walls of the buildings in the alley, shooting out a high tech net that catches around a target, remaining stuck to the point of origin with a tether. They are all Remote Activated.

Net Snares 1 to 4, rolled in order: 23, 15, 11, 27 (CRIT!)

Edited by RocketLord

For now Luke is also going to stay quiet, he will create illusions of the heroes, just barely in sight of group 4 and 5 (like shadows hiding behind a corner), in order to lead them to the closest traps, if possible in places that have enough cover that the demons will have to land close to the traps in order to investigate.

• 2 weeks later...

All chaos breaks loose, eh?

Will roll for the noisemaker foolin' first. Everyone sees well enough to see what's happening, the spoilers are just to make the post less mammoth.

Group 1

Spoiler

Gangsters Will, 16, close but no cigar

Spinethrowers Will, 8, not nearly so close

All of Group 1 is fooled,  and I'll go through them one by one:

Gangster 1 vs. 13 to hit
Hits, I did roll Reflex 13 originally and then proceeded to realise that trip is a strength/dex save, so it becomes 11 and he still loses.

Gangster 2 vs. a 27 to hit

Do I even need to say it? The roll hits lol. He can only beat that with a nat 20 aaaaand~ 13 he fails.

Spinethrower 1 vs. a 25 to hit

He, shockingly, gets hit. 21 means he actually makes it, holy crap!

I don't know if that means he'll set off another tripwire or not, since it's proximity and he's still standing? Lemme know RL

Spinethrower 2 vs. a 16 to hit

He gets hit! That one would have been a much closer thing if he hadn't been flat footed. 17 means he's on the ground.

Group 2

Spoiler

Gangsters Will, 4, ha.

Demons Will, 15, bit higher, but they are fooled regardless.

There's only one snare there 19 to hit, so it'll hit the Spinethrower since the demons will be going in front of the gangsters.

Reflex Save of 15, No one is safe from Charlie tonight!

Group 3

Spoiler

Gangsters Will, 22, Hoo boy! They are NOT fooled!

Demons Will, 20, and neither are their demons!

Well, they aren't going near that, but will send the translucent demon forwards to investigate. I'm assuming that the proximity sensor is based on air pressure or the like, in which case the demon won't set it off.

Now onto Luke's Illusions! I will say that it doesn't look like there are many traps left on the ground outside of the alley, which given the more 'divide and conquer' strategy so far I will assume is not what you're after. Feel free to correct me!

Anyway, instead I'll assume you're trying to move them further off and separate them out.

Group 4

Spoiler

Gangsters Will, 20, they resist apparently!

Demons Will, 15

So the demons don't resist but the gangsters do.

Group 5

Spoiler

Gangsters Will, 21, honestly what the hell?
Demons Will, 18, well they make the save too.

Well that is surprisingly good rolling there!

Anyway, Muirne isn't gonna do anything since the only thing she could do is attack which would interrupt the passive concealment.

Anyway, lets get some initiative rolls.

Gangster leader Initiative 18

Lead demon Initiative 18

Gangsters w. Guns x3 Initiative 16

Other Gangsters x3 Initiative 14

Flying Crystaline Demons x3 Initiative 19

'Budget' Demon Gangsters x10 Initiative 13 
Spinethrowers x5 Initiative 20

Translucent Demons x5 Initiative 12

OKAY! That was a lot. New initiative is:

20 - Spinethrowers x5

19 - Flying Crystaline Demons x3

18 - Lead demon

18 - Gangster leader

16 - Nevermore II - 4HP - Unharmed

16 - Gangsters w. Guns x3

14 - Other Gangsters x3

13 - 'Budget' Demon Gangsters x10

12 - Translucent Demons x5

11 - Nightscale - 4HP - Unharmed

10 - Shadowborne - 3HP - Unharmed

I was kinda hoping that those would be more spread out? Oh well. Will get the IC soon and then do the OOC for the first half of the enemies...

• 7 months later...

Okay, so firstly I'm going to be saying that each minion taken down by a trap or the like it's just downed, so I don't drown in rolls.

Also on the intervening months I've apparently lost my demon stat sheets, but I remember the gist and will be looking for them again.

With that, there's three Spinethrowers and two gangsters down, so still an army in the way.

The Spinethrower in Group 1 is going to back off since the rest of the group just went down. @RocketLord let me know if this would trigger the last tripwire.

Group 3's Spinethrower looks rather unsettled and it's sticking very close to his gangster with a spine in hand.

The flying crystalline demons are going to circle down slightly, and little pinpricks of sickly coloured light appear on them. They have prepared an action.

The lead demon heads towards the three of you slowly, sniffing the air and holding his axe while the leader follows around 20 feet behind with his rifle at the ready. At this pace the demon will reach where the last near-gangster trap is next turn and will reach where you three are the turn after.

IC to follow. (Will probably just edit the previous one)

Edited by Kaede Kimura