How a Young Heart Really Feels

Electra

"No, no, I think not," Pan said, shaking his head with a smile before taking hold of Eira's hand and pulling her along. "I think that we should go pet the dogs, yes."

He tried to pull her into the small pen, quickly kneeling by the puppies and motioning for Eira to come next to him, while he reached out for one of the puppies with a flat hand. "Come now, little friend. Do not be scared!" He was all smiles as the curious little pup came closer.

Producing a squeaky toy, Pan squeaked it a few times, holding it up above the pup and let it jump a few times before letting it take the toy, then looked to Eira.

"See? He is adorable, come, pet him."

Edited by RocketLord
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eira looked down at the puppy, who proceeded to lock eyes with her and growl. The other puppies were all obviously agitated by her presence as well, even the one Judy had been cuddling, yipping and whining unhappily.

This had been so since her upload. Eira had learned the scientific reality behind it when she was younger and it made perfect evolutionary sense. Humans and dogs had evolved together into their modern forms, so it made perfect sense they would be able to detect an imposter, something far enough from human that it was clearly not what they had evolved alongside, but close enough they could tell this was no alien but something trying and failing to pass for human. 

Just as it made sense that a perfectly preserved human mind would remember that bond between human and dog herself, and regret the inability to fulfill it. Everything about it made sense, the cold, scientific logic of what was and what could be, and what would never again be possible. It was, all things considered, a very small price to pay for one's life. 

Eira Katastroff stared at the pups, then at Pan, and then stepped back. The agitated dogs calmed almost immediately as she retreated, as quickly as if a switch had been thrown. 

Chronia

Kendra was just suddenly there, among the puppies and party guests. She knelt down and looked one carefully in the eyes. “Elena is my new friend. Want to be the second one tonight?” The puppy licked her in the face. She grinned widely, laughed, and rubbed his head. “That’s the spirit, little guy. Now, we run." She kicked off her shoes, sprang up, and started running around the room without any magic. The puppy ran beside her, overjoyed. Kendra's grin was fierce and wide, too.

Madame Raven

Callie was about to try and explain, as much as she was allowed, the woes of being a girl out of time. She imagined it as a moment of gothic beauty as someone understood her pains of temporally displace, before more cookies to celebrate. Unfortunately she was denied the moment but the greatest of weapons, puppies.

Any brooding cool was lost as she went to pick out a, to her, noble looking dog holding it up to her face

Well my little ace hound, what do you have to say for yourself?”

The puppy responded in the best way, by licking her face with great gusto.

"No, no, there is no need to worry, my friends."

Pan's voice was calm, as he looked at the pups and their reaction, then back to Eira. She was different, and the dogs would notice.

But what if they could not? What if the sight, the scent, the sounds, everything about her was not so different? What if someone could weave stories that changed what seemed to be, and did not seem to be? So that Eira would seem to be just another one of the group of teenagers? And if that one could make the little puppy he held in his arm calm and trusting, make him understand that nothing is wrong?

The others might notice the change about Eira, or they might not. It was subtle, small. Mostly noticable to the dogs, maybe anyone else that had enhanced senses of some kind. Holding the dog close to him with one hand, Pan smiled and reached the other out to Eira.

"Trust me. This little guy will be fine. Come, be gentle with him, he is just a little one."

21 hours ago, EternalPhoenix said:

Chronia

Kendra was just suddenly there, among the puppies and party guests. She knelt down and looked one carefully in the eyes. “Elena is my new friend. Want to be the second one tonight?” The puppy licked her in the face. She grinned widely, laughed, and rubbed his head. “That’s the spirit, little guy. Now, we run." She kicked off her shoes, sprang up, and started running around the room without any magic. The puppy ran beside her, overjoyed. Kendra's grin was fierce and wide, too.

Though Kendra was talking to the dog, El took it to heart. I made friends tonight! This is most agreeable. It was good to talk with Danica...these people are all friends, or allies at the least. There was nothing to really worry about...at least for now. Those are problems to solve another day. For now...puppies!

One of the dogs walked over to her, and El couldn't suppress a gasp. He was such a - what was the phrase again? "You are such a good boy!" She crouched down, leaning over to pet him very gently. The dog looked into her eyes and licked her hand a little. El's heart melted immediately. "AHHHHHH," she exclaimed, unable to even.

"Oh..." Eira stepped into the enclosure and took the puppy from Pan, looking into its big dark eyes. "...är du en bra hund?" she asked softly. Sure enough, the dog began licking her face and yelping happily, and Eira said "Oh, oh you are a good dog, yes..." She sat down at the edge of the enclosure, leaning against an inside wall, and began petting the dog's head, looking into its eyes as if gazing into the secrets of the universe. She leaned against Pan as the dog kept licking her face, looking as if she didn't have a care in the world. 

On 3/7/2021 at 9:17 PM, Avenger Assembled said:

"Ohmahgosh it's puppies!" declared Judy excitedly. She took Micah's hand and pulled him right over to the enclosure, because who could possibly think there was anything wrong with puppies. She neatly stepped out of her shoes, giving him a quick glimpse of hose-clad leg, before she stepped inside with the dogs.

"Oh Ah love you!" she declared, bending down and scooping up a black-furred pup who immediately began vigorously licking her face. "Ah always wanted more dogs," she told Micah, figuring that he didn't need a detailed walkthrough of the history of Presidential pets. The elderly bloodhound that her father had bought when she was a baby had his own wikipedia page for Heaven's sake. "Oh he's giving me kisses!" 

At the sight of the dogs, Pan saw Eira give a single look of longing before she smirked and smiled at him. "You should go pet the dogs," she said, "I will take pictures for my Instagram." 

Micah had just put down his guitar to rest his hands for a bit when the puppies came out. His eyes widened in surprise and a bit of childish delight. Then Judy grabbed him and dragged him (not that he fought against it) over to the pen. 

For a moment, the sheer joy of "pen of puppies" overrode everything else. Judy's sheer joy was infectious. He laughed and stepped into the enclosure.

"My aunt and uncle have a couple dogs. Mom keeps talking about getting one but she's too busy right now."

His voice had just a bare trace of melancholy. He caught the edge of the commotion with Eira and Pan...and Pan's quick save. He smiled softly and touched Judy's shoulder; when she turned to him, he discretely pointed at his best friend and his girlfriend.

"Pan's good people, hm?"

Luke followed Muirne every movement as she sang, with a stupidly wide grin on his lips.

When she was done with the last verse, the young man shouted an enthusiastic “Wohooo…

Then, he approached the makeshift stage and took her into his arms. “Awesome.” He smiled, not before their lips could meet one more time.

You have like… too many talents. I’d ask you to teach me too…” He added. “But I don’t think that there is anyone in the world who would enjoy hearing me sing.” Yep definitely. “Although maybe it could become like, my new secret weapon or something.” He chuckled.

He had thrown the puppies a side glance though when Dani showed her big surprise. Now, he pretended not to care much, playing with puppies wasn’t bad-ass after all. Although admittedly Luke has always liked dogs and in fact when he was like seven or so he had pestered his parents endlessly for the chance to get a puppy, with no luck…

I guess we can check them out. Don’t you think?

Edited by Nerdzul

"See?" Pan asked, an arm around Eira, his hand holding her shoulder. "Trust me, and all will be fine."

He let her have this moment with the puppy, simply humming softly and keeping her close, staring at the happy little ball of fur as it fully enjoyed the attention that Eira lavished on it. 

Danica looked immensely pleased as she watched her friends coming over to make friends with her fuzzy surprises. There was a brief moment of concern with Eira, and for a second Danica thought there might need to be another quick hallway conference to make sure she was okay, but Pan was on top of the situation and soon Eira was getting puppy kisses too. It was awesome! She nuzzled the warm black nose of the puppy she'd been holding and then passed him off to other eager arms. From a box in the corner of the pen she began pulling out toys: rubber balls, squeaky bones, chew ropes, all kinds of fun things! The music was back to the cheerful pop of her iPod's party playlist and Judy had done a good job of making sure there were plenty of snacks and drinks available still. It was, Danica decided, a totally radical party. 

"Well here, you take this sweetheart then, then," said Judy, happily handing the dog off to Micah. She stayed close too, and slipped her arm around him so she could keep petting the dog too. "A man needs a couple of good dogs in his life," she opined. She smiled at Micah and said, "He is, but Ah like you better." And then she leaned in and gave Micah a kiss right on the cheek. 

"Okay," said Eira softly, "okay. I trust you." And then she kissed him on the lips, a quick peck and soft smile, and handed her puppy friend off to her boyfriend too. "You see? You are both good boys.

Artificer

Heroditus had waited patiently for an opening to speak to Kendra, but between Elena, Benny, and everything else vying for her attention -- and his own Atlantean mannerisms -- he never found a good opportunity to get a word in.  Perhaps after this party would be best, he thought.

And then there were puppies.

Atlanteans were no strangers to pets.  All manner of eels, fish, and sea snakes were most common, and a variety of crustaceans and rays had gained some popularity over the past few millennia (though were still met with resistance in some circles, due to their lack of a "proper" skeleton); Heroditus himself had a marbled electric ray, Marmo, which he'd had since he was six.  Semiaquatic birds and mammals were also not unheard of, though usually only kept by Atlanteans at remote colonies or outposts.  And pre-Sinking, Atlanteans certainly had canines, felines, and mustelids as household companions, though none now remember them.

He cautiously approached one, holding one hand out for it to sniff.  "Good... ah, good land-seal..."

Muirne laughed at Luke's comment about his singing skill, shaking her head. "I'd be happy to try, and if nothing else, plenty of songs amount to just shouting in time."

She also found her attention drawn to the puppies as Danica unleashed them upon the party. She then back to Luke as he tried to get them to go to the puppies without seeming like he was. Muirne decided to throw him a bone. "Don't worry, if anyone asks, I made you go to the puppies." And with that she dragged Luke by the arm to the adorable little critters.

On 3/11/2021 at 11:34 PM, Avenger Assembled said:

"Well here, you take this sweetheart then, then," said Judy, happily handing the dog off to Micah. She stayed close too, and slipped her arm around him so she could keep petting the dog too. "A man needs a couple of good dogs in his life," she opined. She smiled at Micah and said, "He is, but Ah like you better." And then she leaned in and gave Micah a kiss right on the cheek. 

Young Mister Roebuck accepted the fuzzy puppy with aplomb, maneuvering the lively ball of fur until the dog was all but cradled in his arms. Micah blushed deeply at the kiss and gave Judy a hilarious, awkward smile that was probably painful to outside observers (like Ashley). Then the smile softened, and his eyes seemed to lose focus.

"My dad used to say something like that. Mom loves dogs too, she just...it was hard."

His voice was soft, only Judy could hear the words, hear the vague ache behind them. She knew his departed father was a sore, touchy subject for Micah. He'd given her bits and pieces in fits and starts this year; he was trying to open up to her, but this was an old, stiff injury to his heart.

Micah shook his head and looked down at the puppy, then gave it a scratch behind the ears.

"What do you think, little fella? Thunderpup? Stardog?"

"Woof."

Pan grinnned back at Eira with his reply, while he looked at little pup in his hands, slowly holding it up and holding it in close, letting it lick his face. "You are an adorable little one, are you not? Yes, you are!He made kissy noises for a moment, before gently putting the pup down, letting it run around a bit.

He let his arm fall around Eira, his eyes trailing from her and back to the pup. 

"Did I ever tell you about the time I met the Foreverpup and Foreverkitten?"