Elena blocked much of the electricity with her shield, but some of it got under her armor. She gritted her teeth against the purple electricity as it coursed through her body. I've suffered worse from them. Good thing these superheroes were here to help me. As the drone exploded, she braced herself for impact and hid her face behind the shield. El stood tall against it, the force of the explosion scooting her back a few feet, but she was otherwise unharmed. 

She retracted her helmet, the rusty thing clanking back behind her head. The electricity she absorbed had scrambled her mind, and she fell to one knee. After taking a moment to center herself, however, she stood back up shakily. Let us hope these heroes are as noble as their actions. This is a strange new place and their customs are new to me - just play it cool and hopefully I can get back to my own world.

Danica didn't have much time to be disappointed by the results of her turtle's attack, since she was immediately blown over backwards by the drone's attack and left wondering what had hit her! The good news was that being bowled over kept her out of range of the big explosion that followed. By the time she had laboriously rocked herself from back to front and stood up again, the smoke from the explosion was already starting to clear. She rubbed her head and checked her phone for bars. "Is everybody okay?" she called out, looking at classmates, weird ally and lingering civilians alike. "Is anybody hurt?" 

Muirne turned to the others, unperturbed by the explosion. She turned to see her classmates bruised and dazed. It took her a few moments to see that Luke and Leon were hurt worst, and quickly she made her way over to them. She couldn't touch either of the pair, but she could at least see whether they needed help. "Are you two well?" She rasped, her eyes focused on them unblinkingly as shadowy tendrils writhed. "I can fetch aid if you are in need."

Luke jumped away from the first drone, sensing that it was about to explode, he smirked, without turning to look (because that’s more bad-ass isn’t it), basking in the moment, he felt the shockwave of fire pass by, but his flesh was too tough.

Easy peasy man.” Luke replied playfully to his roommate.

A weave of electricity also hit him shortly thereafter, but that too washed away safely, grounded below him despite the sparks dancing on his skin. “Is it all that you got?” He remarked cockily.

Ok so these guys explode... He would have to be careful with the next one. He turned to face it, too late, Leon was already on it. “Wait man the-“ The second drone exploded. This time, Nightscale had no time to brace himself for impact.

He raised his arms to shield his face from the hail of shrapnel, it worked a little perhaps, but some still managed to pierce his skin. He clenched his teeth, grunting of pain. When the dust settled he was bruised, had scratches all over, but otherwise he was fine for having being through an explosion of that magnitude.

He looked around. Trying to check if everyone was all right. Or if any onlooker had been caught by the blast.

It’s nothing. Just a scratch, but thanks.” He took one deep breath. There was something almost endearing in seeing Miurne’s scary otherworldly form with a concerned look in her unblinking eyes. The thought made him smile, despite the absurdity of the situation. “You alright?

Leon? Dany?” He surveyed the scene, his roomie looked like he had  been hit with the blast, but still seemed fine. Great. Then he felt something the caress of icy wind on his skin… Sure he himself was pretty much bullet-proof, but unfortunately that didn’t extend to his clothes. Damn… Not much was left of his favourite hoodie his shirt having suffered a similar fate. The rest of his attire wasn’t faring that much better either. Well...

Oh. Come on!You owe me a hoodie Leon... There was little he could do about it now. though  Should have brought my freaking uniform. Then again… to get burgers?

Hey Elena, right? You ok?” He turned to face the newcomer. Closing the distance between them to check if she needed some help standing. “Do you know if there are more coming?” Yep, was this a full invasion or something? “And I bet you got quite a story to tell am I right?

By the way… Welcome to Freedom city…

Edited by Nerdzul

Leon failed to heed his roommate’s warning as he grinned. He didn’t even notice the few lights on along the street go out as he watched the drone shake, the electricity coursing through its circuits. His grin vanished though a moment later just as he realized what was about to happen. Even as the gauntlets fell apart and he tried to call the paper to him the drone exploded.

Scattered paper absorbed a good chunk of the deadly blast, but Leon was still thrown back by it. The snow did little to cushion his landing and the back of his head connected with something solid, the last of the paper floating to the ground without his will to guide it. His ears still ringing, he slowly gathered himself and found his feet enough to get up.

Staggering a bit Leon reached out and steadied himself on the car he apparently had been thrown into. Reaching back he felt a little bit of wetness and a start of what promised to be a healthy bump on the back of his head. His vision swam a little as he looked down at his red fingers, before he shook his head trying to clear it and wipe the blood off in the snow.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine.” He answered with a wince as he heard everyone calling to checked on each other. He gave Muirne a brief wave with his right hand. “Don’t worry about it. I’ve had worse.”
He started to shiver a little as the cold began to set in, the paper jacket he had been wearing scattered across the street. He frowned and realized his left arm was hanging stiff and lifeless at his side.

Try as he may Leon couldn’t get the real looking arm to respond. He quickly looked around, turning his body so his left arm was out of sight. His head was still buzzing and he hoped no one would notice before he got it back under control.

“How’s Lady Fallout?” He asked to divert further attention to the new girl.

Leon gave his roommate a teasing smirk as he walked over. “Elena? On a first name basis already?” He lightly punched Luke’s shoulder with his working hand. “You move fast.“

He smiled up at Elena. “What he said, welcome to town. Sooo... is this a normal thing to happen with you?” He asked, thumbing back at the debris.

7 hours ago, Nerdzul said:

Hey Elena, right? You ok?” He turned to face the newcomer. Closing the distance between them to check if she needed some help standing. “Do you know if there are more coming?” Yep, was this a full invasion or something? “And I bet you got quite a story to tell am I right?

By the way… Welcome to Freedom city…

Elena stood up, and spit out a bit of blood. Though Luke tried to help her stand, she held her arm out, indicating that she could stand on her own. "Yes. I am okay." She rose to her feet, and dusted herself off. "Thank for your concern. As I'm sure you have gathered, I have faced worse odds...but you and your friends' presence was most useful. Umm." 

She paused, and grabbed the side of her head as the electricity subsided. "Where am I, exactly? My home...well, the place I came from, resembles this. Freedom City, correct? But this is before Omega's return. Before it all ended." At some point during her conversation, she trailed off, and took a moment to appreciate the world around her. The air was clean, the buildings whole, and the people around her...alive. Curious. Many of them had phones out - El was aware of phone's functions before the world fell, but had never seen one up close, much less being used. "But yes, Luke. You are correct. There is quite a story to be told."

2 hours ago, Spacefurry said:

“How’s Lady Fallout?” He asked to divert further attention to the new girl.

Leon gave his roommate a teasing smirk as he walked over. “Elena? On a first name basis already?” He lightly punched Luke’s shoulder with his working hand. “You move fast.“

He smiled up at Elena. “What he said, welcome to town. Sooo... is this a normal thing to happen with you?” He asked, thumbing back at the debris.

"Lady...Fallout? That is not my name. I'm somewhat aware of naming customs for superheroes, but is definitely not to be mine. Besides, this is a temporary stop at best. There's...someone I left behind." Her face, which was typically stoic, shows a softness for a moment. However, she quickly pushed it back down. "Again, good to have your assistance, Leon."

She looked at the whole group, beheld their strange costumes - something that was at once new and yet familiar. There were many history books she read that told the tales of the great heroes, but to see one up close was quite something else. "Good to meet you all. I'm Elena, Outrider of the Howling Wolves Clan, defender of the weak and destroyer of the forces of Terminus."

By the time everyone else was standing up and talking, Danica had managed to get back on her Segway and manipulate it over or around the rubble in the street. She headed for Leon first because he looked the most hurt of anybody. "Here," she said, reaching into her shell and pulling out a fairly large first aid kit. "You look like you took a pretty hard hit. I've got an ice pack in here..." She set the kit on the crumpled hood of a nearby car and rooted around till she found an instant cold pack to give him. "Keep that on for awhile," she advised, "it'll make your head not swell up so badly." 

She turned as the newest arrival introduced herself, cocking her head and trying to put together the few clues she had. Omegadrones, riders, fighting the Terminus. "Wow, are you a Furion?" she asked with great curiosity. 

Luke gave a concerned look to his roommate when he realized that things were actually worse than he had first assessed. At least he could walk. He did give Leon a playful nudge on the side when he teased him, though. Replying just with a cocky. “Of course.

Couldn’t let me get all the glory, couldn’t you?” He shook his head, chuckling. “You owe me a new hoodie by the way, man.” He added shortly thereafter, before removing the shredded remnants of the clothes that used to cover his chest before the explosion (definitely for practical reasons obviously, not to show-off in front of the girls… yeah not at all).

Yeah, I can imagine, you have more of those things were you come from?” He nodded at Elena. “You do have awesome rides at least.” He added, this tone playful again as he threw a glance to the wreck a few feet away from them. “Yours might need another coat of paint, though…  I know a couple of people that can help if you need it.” Yeah definitely, the school was filled with tech-heads after all.

Before what?” He furrowed his brows. “They came back? When? That’s messed up.” He lowered his eyes. “Anything we can do to help? How did you get here? You are like from the future?” Then he paused for a moment. "Sorry for the onslaught of questions by the way..." He chuckled.

Woah…” Elena did have an impressive title didn’t she? “Nightscale here and these are Shadowborne, Chelone and last, but not least Paper.” He introduced the rest of the band, not before offering to finally shake hands.

Dany seemed like she was way more knowledge of the situation didn’t she? “Furion?” He echoed the turtle girl, a puzzled look in his eyes.

Edited by Nerdzul

Leon accepted the offered ice pack, nodding to Danica. “Thanks.” He held it to the back of his head, only wincing once when he did so, and turned his attention back to the group.

When Luke introduced him he gave her a quick mock salute. “That’s a helluva name.” He smirked. “How bout we just call you Outrider? Lot quicker to yell in combat... and usually that’ll be accompanied by a ‘look out’ or ‘duck’ if you hang out around here for long.”

9 hours ago, Electra said:

"Wow, are you a Furion?" she asked with great curiosity. 

“A what now?” Leon ask almost at the same time as Luke, tilting his head a little.

After explanations, Leon regarded the overturned car then looked at Luke, who as far as he knew was the strongest of their group. “How about giving the girl a hand.” He said nodding his head towards the car. “So she can see if she’s driving home or calling for a tow.”

10 hours ago, Electra said:

She turned as the newest arrival introduced herself, cocking her head and trying to put together the few clues she had. Omegadrones, riders, fighting the Terminus. "Wow, are you a Furion?" she asked with great curiosity.

"Furion? No. I don't know what that is." It will take some catching up to be able to communicate with these heroes, it seems.

6 hours ago, Nerdzul said:

Couldn’t let me get all the glory, couldn’t you?” He shook his head, chuckling. “You owe me a new hoodie by the way, man.” He added shortly thereafter, before removing the shredded remnants of the clothes that used to cover his chest before the explosion (definitely for practical reasons obviously, not to show-off in front of the girls… yeah not at all).

Yeah, I can imagine, you have more of those things were you come from?” He nodded at Elena. “You do have awesome rides at least.” He added, this tone playful again as he threw a glance to the wreck a few feet away from them. “Yours might need another coat of paint, though…  I know a couple of people that can help if you need it.” Yeah definitely, the school was filled with tech-heads after all.

Before what?” He furrowed his brows. “They came back? When? That’s messed up.” He lowered his eyes. “Anything we can do to help? How did you get here? You are like from the future?” Then he paused for a moment. "Sorry for the onslaught of questions by the way..." He chuckled.

Woah…” Elena did have an impressive title didn’t she? “Nightscale here and these are Shadowborne, Chelone and last, but not least Paper.” He introduced the rest of the band, not before offering to finally shake hands.

Dany seemed like she was way more knowledge of the situation didn’t she? “Furion?” He echoed the turtle girl, a puzzled look in his eyes.

"Countless more. By the scores, the Omegadrones have attacked my world for generations. But thank you, I try to take care of my chariot." She looked over at Painkiller, and her gaze softened. She deserved better. "But that's good to know you have those skilled in mechanics available. I will need Painkiller to be repaired before I depart back to my own world - my own time. You have waystations here too?" At least they have waystations to fix cars. I should have guessed this more civilized time had those.

El smiled a little at Luke. He was certainly a curious one. "You could say I'm from a different time. In my world, Earth fell to the power of Omega, and humanity has been fighting ever since. I am among the last of my kind - a gene-altered. My sister and I were the Outriders of our clan. We attracted as many Omegadrones to our position as possible - like a moth to the flame - and brought them to the traps my clan had prepared."

When he mentioned how he could help, she thought for a moment. "Do you know anyone that can cross between worlds? That would be very helpful." Worth a try, at least. "And well met, all of you. I was glad to have your assistance in this matter." She sheathed her mighty hammer, and pulled back her hair, tying it into a rough ponytail. "I should like to get back home as soon as possible."

Edited by Lone_Star

GM

The Claremont students, and the newcomer, were not the only ones affected by the attack.

Around them, people were slowly coming back to the small group of students and the interdimensional traveler. Phones were out. Phones were out, but like with Danica, the people around them found that they didn't work. Even with the portal closed, the lingering radiation from the portal that the Outrider had arrived still messed with them.

A gruff blonde man with a moustache came running. The students would quickly recognize coach Armstrong. He stopped in front of them, leaned over and rested his hands on his knees while he panted, quickly holding up a finger to signal they should wait.

"P-power's out in the whole block. Felt that from... C-Claremont (just give me a sec here)... What the hell did you kids do?" He paused, looking at the kids around. And the big one. "You. I don't know you."

As the civilians began collecting themselves, Danica did her best to pass around bandaids and antiseptic wipes, but it looked like nobody was really hurt too badly. Folks in Freedom City were generally good about running away from the superhero fight, a tendency that helped to avoid lots of collateral damage. Upon the arrival of an adult authority figure, she sped over immediately on her scooter. "Coach! It was Omegadrones! Two of them, came right out of a portal in front of the Wawa, chasing her car!" She gestured broadly towards Elena. "I tried to call the Freedom League emergency line because Omegadrones, duh, but something fried all our phones. But it was Omegadrones, so we had to stop them, and we did!" The Omegadrones were mostly greasy smears on the pavement at this point, but there were enough recognizable pieces around to corroborate the story. 

Muirne would have smiled at Luke asking if she was alright had she the ability to, but instead just performed a nod-like motion. Turning to the focus of the group she observed the interaction silently. She knew she was unsettling in her Shadowbeast form, and she didn't want to cause this stranger distress. Still, at her question about crossing worlds she spoke up. "I am sure that there is a hero somewhere who could return you to your world, but I don't know of any myself. Perhaps one of the staff at Claremont could help. Otherwise many of the students know outside heroes. The world is a very connected place." She finished a few moments before the coach arrived. "Mælan sylfum þá Deofol ond hé wyllan oþíewan1..." Muirne muttered as he panted. "Danica is telling the truth, they exploded upon defeat, which is why there is so little left.

1Speak of the Devil and he will appear

On 2/4/2021 at 1:41 AM, RocketLord said:

A gruff blonde man with a moustache came running. The students would quickly recognize coach Armstrong. He stopped in front of them, leaned over and rested his hands on his knees while he panted, quickly holding up a finger to signal they should wait.

"P-power's out in the whole block. Felt that from... C-Claremont (just give me a sec here)... What the hell did you kids do?" He paused, looking at the kids around. And the big one. "You. I don't know you."

El stared at the man. "Well, I don't know you either." She cleared her throat. "But I am not opposed to it. I'm Elena." She remembered what Leon said. In this world, she would be considered a superhuman...no, a superhero. Her mind went back to the books of Freedom City her clan had scavenged. Perhaps if I stand like this...? She balled her fists and put them at her hips.  "But you can call me Outrider." 

16 hours ago, Kaede Kimura said:

Muirne would have smiled at Luke asking if she was alright had she the ability to, but instead just performed a nod-like motion. Turning to the focus of the group she observed the interaction silently. She knew she was unsettling in her Shadowbeast form, and she didn't want to cause this stranger distress. Still, at her question about crossing worlds she spoke up. "I am sure that there is a hero somewhere who could return you to your world, but I don't know of any myself. Perhaps one of the staff at Claremont could help. Otherwise many of the students know outside heroes. The world is a very connected place."

1Speak of the Devil and he will appear

"Glad to hear it, Shadowborne." She stared blatantly at the young woman, who resembled a mass of shadows. "I am not unfamiliar with the connectedness of your world. Things such as the "cell phone", "Wi-Fi", "dial-up modem", and "Reddit" are familiar to me. Perhaps we can contact someone via dial-up?" She paused for a moment. Wait, that's not right. "Can we dial someone up who can help me get home?"

his age of heroes is very strange indeed. She continued to stare at Shadowborne, unaware of any discomfort it was causing. "How long have you been a shadow-person?" El asked Muirne.

Edited by Lone_Star

Yeah sure. I can do it.” Luke gave Leon a confident look, despite not being secure in the fact that he could lift the car, as a human at least. Maybe I can like, overturn it back, though. “Won’t be gentle, but I can get her back on its wheels at least. Did you make her yourself by the way, she is cool.” He smiled at Elena.

Woah, really? Is it that bad?” He frowned, drones everyone, the world in ruin. “Well, the future sucks… There must be something that we can do on our side.

…..

Yeah, right! I’m sure someone at Claremont can help.” He smiled, nodding at Shadowborne's suggestion. “I mean, I met this girl, on like, my first day at school, she is a time traveler…” Luke scratched his head. “She can probably do something…” He offered. Although if Outrider actually came from a different reality or something, there was a chance that it would not work.

Hello coach.” He smirked when he saw the man was out of breath. “We took down freaking Omegadrones, that's what happened.” He continued confidently. “Like Murine and Dany said… they exploded, but you can still see the scraps...”

We dealt with this no one got hurt.” Well, not totally the truth, but close enough right?

Does your phone work though sir? I mean someone can still need help…” Yeah, not everyone could take an explosion and get out with a few scratches after all. He did take a good look around, checking if anyone got caught in the blast or perhaps, hit by the debris.

GM

Armstrong looked at the tall girl, his face somewhere between surprise and resignation. "Oh, great. Another stray for the school." He pinced his nose and shook his head, looking at the damage to the area around them. "The name's Armstrong, good to see you're alright, Outrider. Help's already on the way, but you..." he pointed to the students, "need to get out of here. Back to the school, we'll figure things out there, see if there's someone that can help Outrider get home or not."

He looked around some more, kicking at a piece of debris from one of the exploded Omegadrones. "You did a good job, kids, but you got lucky. Don't go off fighting Omegadrones for the hell of it, alright? And Landers? Make yourself useful and help Outrider bring her car back to Claremont."

Leon listened as Elena recounted her world to them. The ringing in his ears had settled into a dull buzz he could ignore. The ice pack had done well to numb the thump to his head.

On 2/5/2021 at 2:12 PM, Nerdzul said:

Yeah, right! I’m sure someone at Claremont can help.” He smiled, nodding at Shadowborne's suggestion. “I mean, I met this girl, on like, my first day at school, she is a time traveler…” Luke scratched his head. “She can probably do something…” He offered. Although if Outrider actually came from a different reality or something, there was a chance that it would not work.

“Ya, Chronia. She’s on my squad during class.” Leon added as Coach Armstrong ran up, he regarded the Claremont faculty.

On 2/4/2021 at 2:41 AM, RocketLord said:

"P-power's out in the whole block. Felt that from... C-Claremont (just give me a sec here)... What the hell did you kids do?”

Leon coughed and thumbed over at the scattered wreckage of the drones. “They did it.”

On 2/5/2021 at 1:39 PM, Lone_Star said:

"I am not unfamiliar with the connectedness of your world. Things such as the "cell phone", "Wi-Fi", "dial-up modem", and "Reddit" are familiar to me. Perhaps we can contact someone via dial-up?" She paused for a moment. Wait, that's not right. "Can we dial someone up who can help me get home?"

It took every ounce of willpower Leon possessed, but he managed to keep a straight face. “Oh, she is going to be sooo much fun to have around.” He grinned over at Luke.

When no one was looking, Leon glanced down at his left arm. It took a moment of forced will but he was happy to see his fingers move a little. He shivered some more as he followed  after the others. He slowly lifted his hand and put it in his pocket as he walked. 

On 2/5/2021 at 1:12 PM, Nerdzul said:

Yeah sure. I can do it.” Luke gave Leon a confident look, despite not being secure in the fact that he could lift the car, as a human at least. Maybe I can like, overturn it back, though. “Won’t be gentle, but I can get her back on its wheels at least. Did you make her yourself by the way, she is cool.” He smiled at Elena.

Woah, really? Is it that bad?” He frowned, drones everyone, the world in ruin. “Well, the future sucks… There must be something that we can do on our side.

…..

"Yes, I did. It wasn't easy, but upgrading my chariot has saved me more times than I can count. I believe the real difficulty came in finding a V8 engine. That's the ticket to squeezing as much horsepower out of her as possible. And don't worry about being gentle with Painkiller, she's survived worse." This one seems pleasant enough. She nodded at his comment about her future. "To use your parlance, it does 'suck'. You could even say it 'mega-sucks', if I'm using that term correctly. But for now, getting somewhere where I can repair my car will be a good start. Perhaps we can talk to your time-traveling friend sometime soon." 

4 hours ago, RocketLord said:

GM

Armstrong looked at the tall girl, his face somewhere between surprise and resignation. "Oh, great. Another stray for the school." He pinced his nose and shook his head, looking at the damage to the area around them. "The name's Armstrong, good to see you're alright, Outrider. Help's already on the way, but you..." he pointed to the students, "need to get out of here. Back to the school, we'll figure things out there, see if there's someone that can help Outrider get home or not."

He looked around some more, kicking at a piece of debris from one of the exploded Omegadrones. "You did a good job, kids, but you got lucky. Don't go off fighting Omegadrones for the hell of it, alright? And Landers? Make yourself useful and help Outrider bring her car back to Claremont."

She slammed her first against her chest in what could be perceived as a strange salute or expression of gratitude. "Many thanks, Armstrong. My thanks unto you." Perhaps Armstrong will recognize this gesture of honor and gratitude? It was fairly universal, as I recall. Hmm. 

El's stomach growled loudly, and she made no attempt to hide it. "Umm. Is there somewhere to get something to eat close by?" 

"It wasn't for the heck of it!" Danica exclaimed indignantly. "I told you I tried to call the Freedom League but the phones were down!" And yes, maybe-possibly her classmates had rushed headlong into battle without even knowing what they were fighting or how dangerous they were, but that didn't change the fact that they had technically done the right thing!

Her attention was snagged by the newcomer's obvious needs. "Oh yeah, totally!" She reached into her shell and pulled out the bag of Takis she'd just bought at the convenience store. "Here, those are really good, you can get started on those, and we'll take you over to the school cafeteria," she told Elena, passing over the chips. "It's kind of late for lunch, but I know all the kitchen workers and they're super nice. They will definitely give you something to eat." She wheeled the Segway around and started herding the group back towards the school.

Muirne shrugged at Elena's failure at modern jargon. She wasn't exactly much better herself when it came to technology. The shadows which composed her slowly writhed faster as she grew nervous under the girl's eyes until her question released the tension. "I transform into this shape, normally I am a human. It's an ability I've since I was a child." She chuckled quietly as Leon blamed the power going out on the Omegadrones, the sound coming out as a hiss. As Elena requested food, she looked mournfully at the remains of her burger where it was dropped on the ground, she hadn't gotten to eat any of it. 

She followed Danica's urging as she herded the group towards Claremont, turning to Elena once Armstrong was out of earshot. "Perhaps when we find a way to your world we can assist in forcing Omega's forces from your world. It has been done here before."

Edited by Kaede Kimura

Yeah exactly.” Luke confirmed Leon’s version about the loss of power to the whole neighborhood, although maybe the smirk on his face suggested otherwise.

Luke threw the coach a glare when he mentioned the whole ‘collecting strays’ thing. He could do nothing though, but smile proudly when the man mentioned that they did a good job. Now it was not like he needed the recognition, of course… obviously… but still…

Sure boss.” He nodded, taking another glance at the car. Hopefully I won’t have to carry it too school. “Let’s see if your awesome-mobile works shall we?” He grinned playfully at Elena. Not before getting to the task of turning the car back on its wheels. Christ this thing is heavy. “Otherwise I think I can fly it to school.” He smiled, gasping a little for the effort.

Well, we can go to the cafeteria… but then again, weren’t we just out of a place with the best burgers in town?” He chuckled. “Those omegadrones owe me a burger by the way.” Yep…

Yeah definitely. There must be something we can do.” He nodded at Muirne’s words.

GM

Cars would be towed, people would be calmed, and Armstrong would do his best to calm the people around them and make sure that no one knew that the teens suddenly having super powers and taking down Omegadrones were from the Claremont Academy (while he kept mumbling about having to teach them to take the time to get into proper uniforms at some point).

Eventually, AEGIS representatives retrieved the remains of the Omegadrones, while Elena was taken to Claremont for the time being. At least they had experience with interdimensional or time traveling refugees.