"The body's shot," Miss A said with a shrug. "No pun intended. It was already a disaster, and this last insult was enough to do it in. It's not worth fixing and it's not worth scrapping. I'd say put it in the Super Museum if it weren't so classified." She studied the memories still replaying on the split screen, absently flexing her fingers to zoom the images as much as possible.

"I'm not sure that AEGIS is involved with this at all, except maybe by virtue of neglect. Take a look at these guys, 'Fly, they're chassis duplicates, but the insides are wrong. Which makes sense, because the inside of the Ironsbot is a disaster of low-bid parts stitched together with luck and some kind of crazy intellect operating on the edge of the rulebook. I never got the full story on who built the Ironsbot, but I'm willing to bet they had one supergenius working for them in the nineties who put it together and didn't stick around for upgrades for whatever reason. Vintage artisanal robotics." She smiled wryly.

"The insides of those things look more like Otakubots," she continued. "Simple, cheap, durable, and dumb. The only weird thing about them is the faces. Why put that face on them if they thought the Patriot has been dead for decades? It doesn't make sense unless somebody spilled the beans on Agent Irons, in which case an army of him could cause a lot of trouble." She unmuted the room again. "Agent Irons, we're going to be talking to Keres in just a moment, but we wanted to speak with you first. How many people outside of AEGIS were aware of your true identity?" 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"That's an interesting question," commented Irons dryly, "as the answer will change as soon as I confirm my identity." He smiled thinly at the screen, after giving Eira a firm simulated handshake, then said, "Director Bonham, a few of his top staff. My former secretary Ms. Pierce, and of course a few members of the Freedom League. Why do you ask?" 

Terrifica

“It’s relevant to how you got into your current condition.” Terrifica added, deciding to discreetly pick Patriot’s brain (so to speak) about the subject. “You’ve been in the intelligence field for a very long time, Agent Irons. I would imagine you have played out a wide variety of theoretical scenarios. Would you play along with me with another one? ” She held up a hand and began to tick off fingers. “One. An agent, one of four on a mission, is gravely injured by weapons normally carried by fellow agents and not their enemies. The other agents are unharmed. Two. Said agent’s real identity is known only to a small circle of trusted personnel, yet their enemies on the mission knew exactly who they were. Three. Audio recordings of the mission, though incomplete and damaged, indicate the agent’s enemies were trying to flip him with this information. And Five. Memory alteration and mind control are potentially in play.” With all four fingers and her thumb ticked off, she looked at Patriot. “Assuming the agent has no functional memory of the mission, how would you proceed?”

The Scarab III

Kamala was an engineer at heart and when given an option relied on a technological solution to any problem presented to her. But as much as she hated to admit sometimes it was necessary to rely on less reliable solutions.

I might have an option here if everyone is willing to give it a try. This here…” she held up one of her arms to show an elaborate Ancient Egyptian styled vambrace “… allows me to read peoples minds, the Patriots mind emulation should be complex enough to allow me to attempt such a reading, even if we need to rig up something to allow such a reading.”

With so much genius in the room it shouldn’t be that difficult a task she figured.

• 2 weeks later...

"We've already seen his memories, but if you think you might be able to get us more it's worth a try, providing Agent Irons is willing," Miss A allowed, looking from The Scarab to the screen. "While you're working with him over here, Voltage, Angelic, why don't we go down to the other end of the lab and get Keres going too. Multitasking might get us some answers quicker. Voltage, if you can double check and make sure our partition is totally secure before we dump some evil robot brain into my business servers, I'd appreciate it very much." She led the way across the room to another workstation and set of screens, close enough to have a general idea what the other group was up to, but far enough away not to interfere with one another. 

Voltage nodded. His super enhanced mind scanned the partition, looking for any signs of weakness or vulnerability. "No weaknesses or vulnerabilities found." he said. He stood and walked to where Miss Americana asked them to go. He was in new territory.

He had done a lot of contract work, a lot of inventing and lab work, but this was government secrets. This was strange, new territory for him. He was cautious and wary. He hadn't been in a fight in years, he certainly hoped not to do it today. 

Bereft of any specific job to do, Dragonfly scanned the room, eyes settling on Keres' broken body. Keres' probably broken body. The body Keres would have known would be captured, which was convincingly damaged, but....

A quartet of her drones bent into existence, silently floating off to attach themselves to the ceiling around where Keres laid still. Dragonfly didn't like gambling.

She turned her attention back to the screens, cocking her head. "Agent," she said - or, rather, thought, the sound coming not from her but from the simulation, a small winged sigil popping into existence to give a source to the voice. She wasn't turning the room microphone back on if she could avoid it. "Do have to ask what you'd prefer done with your body. Single bullet, not irreparable - but non-trivial. Once everything's done we - or your team - could probably get or make a new one, but we understand if you're...sentimental."