Aren't You Tired of Being Nice?

Gizmo

“The showiness is part of what makes it effective!" Chitin insisted with a laugh that carried clearly through his helmet's sound system. A few prodigious leaps carried him after Kensei, just in time to see the business man respond to the swordsman's assessment with a sharp intake of breath. He salt bolt upright and looked around wide-eyed, patting his food splattered chest to make sure all of his parts were present and accounted for. The armoured teen leaned over with his hands on his knees. “Heeey, how you doing?"

The blond man took a few moments to blink, seriously considering the question. "I'm... alright? I think? Did I get so upset I passed out in the street? Good lord." He accepted Chitin's offered hand to help him back to his feet, still looking a little stunned. "Uh, thank you. I hope I didn't cause anyone too much worr-woah." Spotting the wreckage around him he took an unsteady step backward. "Sorry, I uh, I need to make a call to reschedule a meeting. Really wasn't that urgent in the first place now that I think about it..." His demeanour was confused but remarkably calm, considering.

Kensei sheathed his ghostly blades and took a step back as Chitin arrived.  Arms crossed and leaning on a stuck car he watch the man rise somewhat incredulously.

"You often pass out and shed a neon electric rage monster to terrorize the block?"  he asked flatly and glanced to Chitin, "Or maybe someone would send something like that after you?"  he added with a shrug, "So victim or perpetrator?  I think I must've skipped that day."  he asked with a small shrug he genuinely didn't trust the sudden shift in mood but nothing in his demeanor suggested a lie.

"Regardless."  he stated stepping into the mans path, "I think you're gonna need to give a statement or something."  he looked over the mans shoulders toward Chitin with a small shrug he really wasn't sure what the protocol was here usually he just vanished into the night and left the perp tied to a bike rack or something.

The businessman stopped in the middle of retrieving his phone from his stained jacket to stare at Kensei. "A... a neon what? I don't...?"

“Like a big super angry part-giraffe, part-rhino centaur demon with big claws and lots of teeth and made of see-though yellow energy and it sounded like an electric guitar," Chitin clarified helpfully, making sweeping hand gestures to illustrate his description. “I was telling Kensei - that's him, he's Kensei, I'm Chitin, hi! - I was telling Kensei we should call them Ragin, see, because-"

"Because it's a rage demon, sure," the blond man agreed faintly with a thousand yard stare, nodding his head absently. "I should maybe sit back down."

Chitin turned to his companion with his hands raised in triumph while bystanders recorded the scene with their phones and sirens could be heard in the distance.

Kensei shot Chitin a warning glance, "Nooo, don't you start."  he warned like a total buzzkill. 

He examined the man for a few minutes longer, "Perhaps that would be for the best."  he agreed and glanced from Chitin to hte man uncertainly as the sirens grew closer, "This hasn't happened before?"  he questioned not entirely certain how to proceed.  "The police will likely have questions and ..."  he was not exactly dressed like a friendly if FCPD showed up.

“I try not to make assumptions and all but he doesn't really seem like a heavy metal sort of guy in general?" Chitin guessed quietly aloud to Kensei with a small shrug. “Doesn't look like anybody's in danger any more and I don't super love talking to cops, so..." Turning back to the mutely distraught business man he gave a small wave. “Hey, uh, definitely take some time for like your mental health and self-care and all, yeah? Bye!" A massive bound abruptly took him into the air and over the top of the building that contained LentALL. He waited a beat to make sure Utsuwa was following then jumped again to land in the alleyway behind it, quickly looking back and forth to make sure they weren't being watched before deactivating his amour. Cyan folded back up into his usual shape and landed on Ryder's shoulder with a cheerful chirp.

"No one was harmed."  Kensei assured the man and glanced to Chitin as he leapt away, "Well not much."  he added wryly before vaulting to an awning then ledge to acrobatically parkour his way up the side of the building and across the roof.  Joining Ryder in the alley he let his spectral raiment fade into the either once more as if consumed by the ghostly flames that limned it.

"I think I begin to see why you never get anywhere on time Ryder."  he teased playfully and shook his head, "You ever see anything like that?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Hey, I'm on time sometimes! You sound like my sister," Ryder protested with a good-natured laugh. His grin dimmed as his brow furrowed and he shook his head. "I was going to ask you the same thing. Big demon ghost looking things kinda seem like your area more than mine but the music thing was weird, right? I feel like that guy was telling the truth about not knowing what happed and the Ragin didn't, like, specifically go after the person he was arguing with before it showed up or even stick around where he was. Seemed like it was just smashing whatever." He absently patted Cyan affectionately as he tried to puzzle out what they'd witnessed before suddenly snapping his fingers. "Our food! I asked them to hold onto it!"

"The exceptions that prove the rule."  Utsuwa replied with a grin.

The athletic teen shook his head, "My knowledge of demons and ghosts i more personal than practical."  He admitted with a sigh, "But of what I do know,"  his head shook from side to side as he shrugged, "That looked more like someone trying to make a thing look like a demon or ghost than an actual specter." 

"The music was weird,"  Utsawa agreed running a hand through his hair to straighten it, "Related you think?"  but then the food was brought up and his stomach rumbled at the reminder, "UH you think they did?"  He asked as he started to jog around the side toward the lentil shop, "There is an old saying in my country,"  he suggested over his shoulder, "Nothing feeds the mind like cold lentils." Which certainly sounded like something he just made up but probably would not be believed by anyone with more than passing familiarity with his homeland.

Ryder made an impolite noise as he ducked his head out around the edge of the alleyway to make sure the crowd was still sufficiently distracted enough that they wouldn't draw any attention or awkward questions. "Bruh. I'm second-generation, not thick. You got any menu items you want to try to convince me to get tattooed next?"

He ran in long enough to retrieve their food and leave a tip on top of what Utsuwa had already paid before heading back outside. He handed his roommate his styrofoam container and jerked his head to the left, suggesting it might be less hassle if they weren't nearby when someone thought to start asking for witness accounts.

Utsuwa took his container with a shrug, "I was thinking number ten extra spicy."  he teased back as he followed behind before anyone started to ask what they'd seen.  "Maybe it's a test and you passed."  he dead paned as they shuffled past the crowd and hopefully evaded any uncomfortable questions from passerby.  

Dropping his voice he leaned in closer to mention in a hushed whisper, "So.  Word might get around."  he pointed out carefully, "I don't know about you but I know the headmaster will put two and two together when a description of that armor showing up in town starts circulating."

• 2 weeks later...

"Aw, you think I'm extra spicy," Ryder teased with a bright laugh, rummaging around in his paper takeout bag as they walked rather than more sensibly waiting until they could find some sort of table. "Anyway, I'm sure it won't be a big deal. It's not like we were sneaking out after curfew or out patrolling and actually looking for trouble or anything. She'll understand that we couldn't just stand there and let people get trampled!" He shrugged and used his teeth to tear open the thing plastic wrap around his utensils. "Following the rules exactly isn't more important than doing the right thing." He said it with the confidence of someone stating an obvious, universal truth.

Utsuwa rolled his eyes, "Makin it weird Ryder."  he countered and snatched his bag to pop open his own container as they happened upon a picnic table and he dropped into a seat, "You spill that I'm not sharing."  

"Yea I wasn't about to just let people get hurt I'm just saying ..."  he shrugged, "If she does go ballistic I can handle it no reason for both of us to end up in super detention."  he let out a small sign and took a bite smiling slightly at the actually quite flavorful if slightly luke warm lentils.  "Anyway you're probably right she'll just make some pointed PA announcement anyway."  he finally agreed and continued to eat slightly hunched over the container as if concerned someone might grab at it at any moment. 

The hunched shoulders and downcast eyes focused on what was before him was not a departure from his usual manner of eating in the dinning hall, though in these surroundings it was perhaps even more out of place.   "You were right though this is actually pretty tasty."