Wraith was already moving when the gun came out - even as the Captain took aim she was dropping part of her torso down from the ceiling, the bullet hitting her metal skin with a lot more thud and a lot less ricochet than one might have expected - like he'd hit gel instead of steel.

The gel grew three narrow eyes and a whole host of lashing, claw-tipped tendrils. "Do not do that," she admonished; the tendrils lashed out, coming at the zombie from a dozen directions to none-too-gently tear the gun from his rotting grasp. They wrapped around it, possessively, drawing it up to her body as she debated whether it was safe to eat. "It is not safe. In such a small space you will damage someone's hearing, at least."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The undead captain hissed and called Wraith something in his native tongue that she couldn't immediately understand but that from its dry, slithering tone was probably rude. Probably. It was hard to tell with the speech of the undead. 

Sea Devil feinted with her trident's crackling tip at the witch, then spun in a fine imitation of Singularity's fighting style with her bat and smashed the witch across her midsection with a crunch that suggested there was no normal human woman underneath that costume.

The witch laughed and straightened, a black fluid leaking from the corner of her mouth that hadn't been there before. "The fiend and the predator! How delightful!" She pointed at Nightscale and said "Just let me drink the blood of this virgin boy and I can entertain you properly!" A spiraling black ribbon of energy leaped from her fingers towards Luke, one quickly intercepted by SIngularity's body. Jessie could feel the touch of the magic, unwholesome and unsettling, as it passed over and through her skin, but it didn't seem to be hurting her. 

Hey! Virgin boy!” Luke gave the witch a fiery glare, in fact, one could say that he was almost more offended by her words than by the twisted blast of energy clearly aimed at him. Priorities, right?

Sorry, but that ship had sailed.” He smirked. For a moment, his attention shifted between the undead captain and the witch, after all it wasn’t exactly easy to tell who was in the right there. Then again, the Captain hadn’t tried to drink his blood.

It was unfortunate that he could bathe the sorceress with dragonfire, but then again, not the smartest of ideas while in a confined space such at this one. So he just charged at her, his fists surrounded by ghostly claw, echoes of his true form.

Singularity didn't even think as she stepped between the witch and the boy she was targeting. There was no need to think; the requirement to absorb damage for others fighting the same target was baked in far deeper than mere thought. It hurt, it always hurt, but it didn't knock her down and so was immaterial. A quick forward roll coated her hair and body with the rot and rust of the putrid deck, but also brought her up behind the witch while she was distracted by the boy's attack. Singularity had no blade, obviously an oversight, but the edge of her stiffened palm was sufficient to separate the witch's head from its body and send it flying. 

The head kept hissing evilly until it hit the nearest bulkhead, which it struck with a boom before falling abruptly and silently to the metal deck. Aquaria considered this situation for just a moment, then considered the look in Jessie's eye, before she croaked with quiet, serious urgency to Luke "Stand still. Do not move quickly." She made no sudden moves herself, though her helmet stayed on as she added to Wraith, "If you want that thing to live, make it so that Jessie cannot see it." Aquaria and Jessie spoke little about the times when the past reached up bottomless to swallow the latter, but Indira had seen Jessie by herself on lonely nights high in the castle, and Aquaria keeping a vigil nearby. It helped that she could hear further than Jessie could. 

"...hmmm." Indira hummed to herself for a half a moment, pondering that one, but she was already moving across the ceiling with a skittering noise that spoke of a dozen unseen little claws; they were already gone by the time she lowered herself, spreading long and flat, like a make-shift metal curtain that separated Jessie from the walking dead. Not quite enough to cut off all access, but enough to block line of sight, she hoped - and deeply uncomfortable.

Her eyes were on the zombie's side, and they were not kind. "We would like answers," her surface hummed. "I think you will move with us to another part of the boat and give those answers to us - to all of us - or perhaps we will let our friend have you. She has had a long day. I think she could use the catharsis."

"Woah! Woah! Woah!" Now that woman was an undead abomination that had tried to drain his life force, but Luke definitely didn't expect to see her decapitated in front of his eyes. That was... A bit too much wasn't it? She was already dead. She was already dead... She... He took a few deep breaths, a grave mistake. The scent of death was still overwhelming after all. At least his stomach was strong enough that he wasn't forced to gag. "That... Was intense. We could have like questioned her or something."  He objected, although it didn't feel exactly wise to him to oppose the reasoning of a seasoned heroe (and scary ones at that), but then again, wisdom wasn't exactly his forte. "Thank you though... I mean for taking the hit for me." He conceded.

"Oh... Ok..." Another deep breath. 

"I can do something for that. I think." He nodded to Aquaria. He closed his eyes, calling his magic again, covering the undead soldier with a veil of illusion, one that made him look like he was still alive. Not exactly the kind of figment that he could keep going without effort, but it was for a good cause, right? "Better?"

"And now, it's time for your to talk mate." He added, addressing the creature.

Edited by Nerdzul

Even after the witch's head was separated from its undead body, Singularity paid close attention to ensure it would not get up again. Typically zombies did not recover from beheading, but it was not safe to assume anything. Once it became clear that it was not going to get up again, she returned her attention to the room, scanning everywhere for additional threats. The boy was not a threat, nor was the metal creature. There was a man, unknown, concealed now behind the metal... Indira, Jessie remembered. That was Indira, and she was Kimber's friend, and she was Jessie's friend.

She looked over and saw Aquaria, Aquaria who was Jessie's best friend, and who was watching Jessie like she was afraid something bad was going to happen. Like Jessie was going to make something bad happen. This wasn't the first time that adrenaline and the start of a fight had made Jessie forget things, but it was never good to come back from. Jessie hunched in on herself, making herself smaller and less threatening, and locked one hand around the opposite wrist as though to cuff herself in place. 

Aquaria squatted down next to Jessie, folding her long legs beneath her body and folding her forelimbs in front of her, giving her a silence that wouldn't frighten her. "You did a good job," she croaked softly. "You destroyed the bad thing. Thank you for coming to help me." 

"At last..." the zombie captain was whispering, "victory..." He didn't seem to have much time to talk, his flesh softening at Wraith's touch, an effect hidden by Luke's illusion. "A hundred years under her spell, and only a few of us were left. Thank you. But tell me - how fares Germany? Is there peace after all this time?" 

Wraith let her wall of metal drop, collapsing her body back into something more recognizable as a body - standing on the floor, no less, tall and silver and vaguely humanoid. She also did some mental math - she'd never been an excellent study of American history, but her world history was at least a little bit better and a hundred years of magical binding slid some things into their proper place.

"....yes," she said, looking at him with surprising gentleness. "This world is never truly at peace, and yours was not the last great war, but for now they are done. Germany is well, and respected."

Woah one hundred year?” Undead under a witch spell… “That must suck.” Understatement of the century. Now, perhaps this guy was not a saint, but it was somewhat a relief knowing that he was going to find rest. “What did she wanted from you?” Yeah, somewhat he didn’t believe that the witch was actually there to kidnap the president, she must have had ulterior motives.

By the way… I have sensed some sort of relic on the ship, maybe we should check them out.” He addressed the other heroes. Not that there was a chance he could keep the treasure if they found any of course, although he could definitely use some, but what if they were tied to the witch magic or something? Besides, she went out kinda easy didn't she? Although that might be because he was working with some experienced heroes.

Edited by Nerdzul

"We struck a mine off the coast of the Fatherland and began to sink, then she came to us as we lay in the depths. She promised us victory if we gave her our souls. It seemed kinder than drowning, then. So many of the men lost themselves along the way..." Slowly he was coming apart, but seemed determined to speak. "She said she was the first of the Thule Society to take revenge, even before our crimes. Madness, madness..." He reached up and touched a hand to Wraith's body, and the two of them realized with some surprise it was the last limb attached to his frame. "I am Captain Heinz Gorman of Goslar. Tell them...I remember..." And then, with a final shiver to ash, he was gone. 

"I have no prayers for him," said Wraith. She seemed unusually somber, standing still and looking at what used to be a human. "I do not know his gods, and he did not know mine. Rest, Captain; I hope that wherever you go, the waters are kind."

She was quiet, then, but only for a moment before her head came back up and she turned to the others. "We should leave, I think," she said. There was a small clink of metal as an over-long arm gently dropped the gun off to one side of the room. "If the ship was originally struck by a mine, it may only be afloat because of the witch's magic, and she is no longer here to maintain it. Those who need to breathe should perhaps lead the way, so they can leave first?"

Again that German likely was not a saint, but it still felt sad to hear his story didn’t it?

Yeah rest in peace man.” Assuming it even could, with the whole selling his soul thing. It was a bad bargain perhaps, but he himself, he couldn’t say that he would  have done differently, if the alternative was a watery grave for everyone on board.

The young man sighed as he let the illusion fade away together with the man’s dying words and then lowered his eyes. Wait what was that?

The glint of gold attracted his attention. A compass. Engraved with what looked like arcane symbols. Without thinking he took it up from the floor. “Do you think that this has to do something with that is going on here?” He showed the device to his companions and as he did, the needle pointed toward Sea Devil. “Hey, you must have a magnetic personality or somethin’” He joked. 

He nodded at Wraith’s speech though. He definitely didn’t want to be struck there, when the sub sunk again below the weaves.

Do you know how deep are the waters around here?” He asked Aquaria. After all they were still close to the coast, maybe enough that it would not be too risky to go looking for the source of the scent he had caught early.

"We should go," Jessie finally said, rousing herself finally and looking around. "It's not safe." With no more monsters around she felt a lot more like herself again, if an enervated and ashamed version of herself. At least she'd managed not to hurt anybody. She gave Aquaria a nudge to get her moving back towards the hatch, then paused to make sure the boy was moving as well and not too absorbed in his prize. She could hold her breath for a long time if she had to, but that did not make her at all eager to risk a trip to the bottom of the ocean in this dark and miserable capsule that reeked of rust and old death. She did too, she realized, and tried to remember when she'd rolled around in a puddle of... whatever it was that was on her clothes. Anything she was wearing that hadn't already been ruined by the ceremony was definitely ready for the trash can now, or possibly an incinerator.

The heroes made their way out of the submarine, Luke with his prize and Aquaria keeping a watchful eye on her friend. Jessie had tried very hard and she had done a very good job, and it wasn't fair she was so sad after all this but sometimes the world was very unfair to Jessie. It was good that they had defeated the evil witch and destroyed all the dead things that were alive, but this was not the sort of joy she'd hoped to feel bringing her best friend out for such an auspicious day. 

When they walked outside the night sky was black with clouds and distant thunder echoed, a sign of a great storm swept up while they were below. Wraith and Nightscale thought they could feel something slip away and past them as they walked out onto the deck of the ancient submarine, not a ghost, really, but something that leaped into the pure waters of the sea with a glad heart. 

And then the miracle came. An especially loud clap of thunder shook the heavens and a rain began. A rain not of water but of fragments, falling, flapping minnow-sized fish and leaping, hopping creatures like tiny frogs that fell from the sky and flapped into the water or into the hull of the abandoned ship. Aquaria gave a great, exultant shout as she pointed overhead and all the heroes could see a shadow in the clouds - a manifestation of the god that lived in the Sea of Stars, not a true manifestation, perhaps, but a shadow like a great, magnificent dolphin with the face of a man, the symbols of wickedness turned to good that could only mean a touch by the god herself! 

"BELOPA!" Aquaria exulted, falling to her knees and spreading her arms as the bounty fell from the sky. "LOOK JESSIE IT IS A MIRACLE!" Her cries were joined by the small group of Deep Ones still on shore; the human campers seemed to be trying to take shelter in their tents from the rain of fish and frogs. The thunder rumbled again, and it seemed to distinctly be saying all their names, praise from the one above from the ones below. "AUSPICIOUS!"