The last house on the street (IC)

RedSpine

October 13th, lunch period at Claremont.

Fall had arrived and was here to stay, and many in Claremont Academy wouldn't have it any other way. Many shared stories filled with terror and gloom, of unknowing brusks with supernatural doom.

Across social platforms however a curious story began to spread, of kids and teens finding a decrepit and decidedly Gothic Manor appearing in places one shouldn't be around the city. Some said they saw it deep in an alley way, others that they saw it in places where they knew someones house or business stood before. Without anything more than hearsay though it would be easy enough to just dismiss as someones attempt at making fresh creepypasta if it wasn't for the fact that no mods of any sort seemed to take notice of these posts no matter how many rules were broke in the comments. An interesting mystery for sure but one seemingly destined to be forgotten.

Or it was. Lunch Period had only just started and the assorted teens of Claremont Academy were already pushing and shoving their way past each other to claim the best tables and other seating when two in the crowd heard the very distinct sound of someone they knew calling their names.

"Hey! Pol, Luke! Over here!" Zach called out, raising his voice only loud enough to be heard over the clamor of the crowd as he made his way to whichever of the two was closest and waving the other over. "You two see those stories about the teleporting house? I figured out where it's going to show up next. You two want in on cracking that ball of weird wide open?"

Hey.” Luke waved at Zach, or better, shook his head in his friend’s general direction, his hands too busy balancing the content of his way over capacity lunch tray. Not that it will stay that way for long of course. “What’s up man?” He said, as he found a spot for himself close to the young tech-boy.

A teleporthing houshe?” He smiled, despite having already begun devouring his meal. Claremont’s offer was way better than anything he had at the old school, it was not comparable to mom’s though, but then again… free… so yeah…

Would be cool, I mean, it’d be like, no need for a car if you can just move your house around.” He smiled. “But I bet you’re talkin’ about some spooky stuff though, right?

Yeah shure I’m in…

Pol didn't consume human food, but they still liked lunch time for socializing. It was a great time to catch up with friends or just talk about random fun stuff. This morning they'd been using their default mechanical form, since it required minimal thought.

When Zach called Pol and Luke over, the robot paused for a moment, then assumed their common female form wearing a simple T-shirt and torn jeans. She wasn't sure why, but she preferred to be female around Luke.

Running her fingers through her hair, Pol came she came over to Zach's table and carefully sat next to Luke to preserve the cafeteria furniture.

"Like a mystery? I'd be up for a mystery."  She turned to Luke and grinned."Hi, Luke! I like your shirt."

Edited by Heritage
  • 2 weeks later...

"Yeah I guess a teleporting place would be kind of neat. But yeah so, this thing has been popping up all around town." Zach said as he pulled out his phone and brought up several pictures for the two to see.
"First time it popped up was down in the Fens at the end of 70th. After that it got spotted near the old Lantern hill cemetery, popped up between a couple of buildings at the uni, deep in the west end, right at the waterfront by 28th and wading, and finally it replaced on ramp onto 4 at the end of Greely in Riverside.  If you don't include Lantern hill it forms a..okay a kinda lopsided pentagram. So with that in mind and a few other things I worked out where it should pop up next and it's here in Bayview, the road that leads to the river bank across from Centurions statue. So I kinda want to check it out and if i'm wrong we could I dunno go hang out at the boardwalk after?"

The Pictures themselves weren't terribly much, little more than google street view screen shots of the different locations, each one sliding past as he mentioned them. The last one though showed a curious sight. Instead of a street view picture there was instead a video taken from someones Insta which showed the on ramp leading not to 4 as it should, but instead to a short gravel road that lay in front of a large decrepit mansion, it's walls heavily darkened and it's gothic styled windows barely holding themselves in place. It could almost pass for a mansion Dracula would own, if he didn't have any money and let the place rot instead of doing any maintenance.

"That last bit by the way doesn't seem like it's been edited, and I tore it apart looking for any slick tricks or cuts. So yeah. Spooky Stuff. I don't know about you two but I don't have any tests for the rest of my classes today. After Lukes done with his lunch we can slip out, poke around, and be back well before curfew."

Yeah and Imagine not for convenienschee sake am I rhight?” Luke grinned, still chewing through his meal, albeit at an impressive speed. He fortunately he didn’t need to eat enough to satisfy the requirement of his real form, but that didn’t mean that the young man didn’t have an impressive appetite on his own. “Bet Dracula doesn’t need to get to school in time…

That’s weird… and fitting, I mean, for it to appear around Halloween, maybe it’s like some spirit or somethin." Yeah, or perhaps he should watch less horror movies and actually learn more actual facts on the matters. He was a freaking creature of myth himself after all… And yet... "A pentagram eh? Not ominous at all..." He chuckled, 

What do you think Pol?” He turned to face his friend. “I’m definitely up to take a look.

Admittedly the idea of missing classes didn't appeal to the young robot, for whom school was still very new and therefore exciting, and not the drudgery it was to many more experienced students. But she did like the idea of spending more time with two of her best friends, and this teleporting house could be dangerous to the citizens of Freedom. Also she worried about Luke possibly getting hurt without her there to protect him.

"I'm in," she said with a confident nod and a slight mischievous smile.