Original Gangster (Remix)

Tiffany Korta

Almánzar’s Bar, Lincoln, Freedom City

2nd October 2020

It wasn’t much of a bar, it wasn’t even a particularly cool bar where the kind of people he modelled himself, it was just a blue collar bar where people just had a few drinks after a hard days work. It was just a place that he could be the big man and even if they didn’t like him, and she already knew that he wasn’t particularly popular no more than a bully of the block. Still he had an ego and that was something she could work with.

He in this case was a low level hood with powers, calling himself Para LX, who lucked into some sort of light based powers obvious for the green glow that surrounded him lighting up the entire booth holding court for anyone who would pay attention.

The perfect for her methods of subterfuge, so time to make an entrance.

Stepping into the bar on her platform boots every steps was made to get peoples attention, and there attention she demanded. She was wearing a cut off Hero’s shirt and a pair of hotpants all set off with a long coat that billowed out dramatically, all calculated to look suitably dramatic. Her hair was pulled up to add some height, on top of the heels to make her look more impressive. If he was impressed he didn’t show it, though that was the style he emulated, looking up and giving a smile full of grillz.

Heard you switch sides.” she was from this part of Freedom and even her accent wasn’t that thick

Just what I want them to think.” replied Merge Trois with a charming smile

Archer II

Connor King sat by the bar, a heavy backpack by his side, a beer in his hand. No uniform right now, a simple pair of jeans, a blue shirt open at the neck. Not his usual style, but he could make do. He needed to be incognito, here. Sitting here in the red and white wouldn't work, not when he wanted to get some information. Para LX had been making some waves, at least enough to get Connor's attention. He wasn't anything special, from the sound of it, but he was causing trouble. 

Connor emptied his glass. Time to get to work, then, and...

He paused before getting out of his seat. Merge Trois walked in. He had met her back at Corona's thing, before that fell apart, and she was going straight for Para LX. Alright, then. Connor could see how that played out. 

Instead of getting out of his seat he asked for another beer. Alright, time to see how this played out.

Camera Obscura II

Arrow wasn’t the only one to be hiding in plain sight as his keen eye notice his waitress, something it was weird that he’d not noticed before. Though it was easy to miss without any makeup and wearing normal clothes, but she was a Merge even so far from the flamboyant version discussing terms with Para LX. Her name tag said she was Nickii with hearts over the three I’s and suitable touch and very un-Merge like. She smiled upon catching Connor’s eye whilst blowing her bubble gum, maybe a touch too much considering.

Heya! You look familiar do I know you from somewhere?” even her voice held none of the confident bombast of the other Merge.

As she considered where she knew him from she lifted a hand to cover the top half of his face, showing she might have some inkling of where they had met.

Archer II

It took him a second to recognize the waitress. Connor looked at the Merge, back to the waitress and the way she was holding up her hand in front of his face, trying to paint him with a mask on. Yeah, alright. This was Merge. Two of her, at least. Yeah, she was up to something. He couldn't say that he knew her all that well, but she had helped out Corona, and what was the point if she had already figured it out?

"Maybe." He grinned at her. "Something with some annoying kids and being over the moon?"

Camera Obscura II

Nickii bought Conner his order plus a diet soda for herself, sliding into the chair next to him.

I’m taking my break Joe.” she yelled before talking to the Archer “I’m kind of new, yet I have all of the Merge’s memories, except for me all of them are the same person. I’m what you get when you leave a magical type with library and strong thaumatical field.”

She shipped her drink and watched the other her schmoozing up to Para LX, she didn’t appear totally happy about how things were going down.

I’m glad your here, she thinks otherwise but we could do with your help. It means potential danger obviously.”

Archer II

Connor raised his beer in a cheers to the Merge, took a long drink and shook his head. "I still can't wrap my mind around how you work. What do I even the different yous?" His eyes moved from the Merge to Para LX and back again while he spoke, never leaving the bad guy for too long.

The other Merge was talking up Para LX. He wasn't really sure what she was up to, but that whole thing about switching sides? Probably an act, if he could believe this Merge, at least.

"Its why I'm here. So, what's up with him? I only heard he's causing trouble and got some kinda glowing thing going on."

Camera Obscura II

Thing of us a little like the cloud, we’re all accessing the files at the same time. And the other call me Camera Obscura, I blend in a gather information, unlike my more flashy sisters.” she glanced over at the other Merge who was still discussing thing

As for Para LX, a terrible codename, he’s nothing a small time thugs that will busted by some local superhero sooner or later. He’s a small fish that will hopefully leave us to bigger prey. I don’t know if you keep an ear to the local gossip, but someone is putting together a crew I Lincoln. We believe that some is trying to put together a new criminal organization!”

Archer II

"Uh huh." Connor raised his beer to his lips while he listened, his eyes darting to the other Merge and Para LX every now and again. The cloud, all connected at once... Like what, Merge was like some kind of computer? And was it any wonder that Connor wasn't a big fan of super powers? It was freaking weird. People like Merge, Facs, that weird octopus kid from the prep school... It was all way above Connor's paygrade to figure all that out.

"I try to stay in touch. Guys like him are usually the kinda people the old man wants me to take down." He paused to put the beer down. "I guess I was about to be that local hero, but if you got something better, then I'm in."

• 2 weeks later...

Camera Obsura II

There’s someone trying to organise the local thugs and supervillains, they’ve been very careful to keep it on the down low. Its taken me months to find someone stupid enough to take one of us along, today is going to be a gathering hence why we’re working on Para LX there. Luckily like many men he’s not thinking with his head right now.”

Para LX seemed to be snuggling with Merge who was plying along by giggling at some lame joke he’d just made. Apparently satisfied Para LX began to stand to leave the pub for there meeting.

Show time! I have to stay here, just in case we find another idiot to use. Don’t worry we’re not leaving you on your own.”

Merge Trois

Standing up another Merge was left behind, she was dressed in a similar way to “Nickii” but there were subtle differences between the two. The closest analogy was comparing a regular costume to its “sexy” version, though Merge was far less tacky.

When you’re ready we can move” even her voice was richer more confidentDon’t worry unless they move a long way we’llknow where they are.”

Archer II

Another Merge showed up, with Camera Obscura staying at the bar. Yeah, alright, made sense. Couldn't break her cover like that. At least Connor didn't have any issues like that.

"I'm good." Connor put the half empty bottle down on the counter and placed a bill with a nice tip. He winked at Camera Obscura and reached for the heavy backpack on the floor, pulling it up over one shoulder. 

Once they were out, he couldn't help himself. "Doesn't it get weird, watching yourselves, that whole hive mind thing? Its one thing that you gotta cozy up with a creep like Para LX, but watching yourself do it at the same time gotta be weird."

• 2 months later...

Merge Trois

Merge was quiet for a few moments, obviously thinking about the question before answering.

Like Breathing! Or blinking it just something that I just do without thinking about it. And don’t ask me to describe how it feels, its hard to describe without any frame of reference. Illegal drugs might be involved to understand things fully.” with her tone it was hard to tell if she was being completely serious in her description.

As they’ve walked out of the diner her clothes had changed to something almost, but not quite, normal looking. Good enough that the pair of them walking down the streets wouldn’t look really out of the place with what women were wearing out and about.

GM Post

They weaved through the streets going from the more civilian areas to one of the many industrial area, Every now and again a few blocks would get turned into warehouses to use the cheap labour of the area, which generally went badly for many reasons. Helpfully for some though was lots of abandoned properties with plenty of space as needed.

The area they were heading to was a small warehouse whose surrounded building created an area where people could gather without being seen. Which would be perfect for a gathering of some kind...

Archer II

Like breathing? Figured, a super would make everything sound mundane, even something like being a freaking hivemind. Connor could only shake his head. At least Merge wasn't some holier-than-thou type. Powers or not, this could work.

He stayed silent as they moved through the streets, looking around, keeping his eye out for anything that might be interesting and... they ended up at a warehouses. Of course it was abandoned warehouses.

"Other you got eyes on anything good? Any vantage points?" Getting up high would be best. Anywhere he could get a good look at what was going on, and keep his distance.

• 1 month later...

Merge Trois

Unlike breathing I can do it even whilst thinking about it, no need for a magic frather for me, And as for the viewpoint I’ve already got one.” Merge said with a smile

She pointed to a nearby building where yet another Merge waved down, there was no perceivable point where Archer could see her concentration waver between the two.

Fire escape is over there, I suggest you hurry looks like a meeting is about to start down there. To many people to stall them so it’s going to happen, and as much as I hate to say it people are more likely to believe your word over mine.”

Archer II

"I wouldn't count on that. I'm not really a big name in the hero community, y'know."

No time to get dressed up, then. That was fine. Reaching into his bag he quickly pulled out his red mask and tied it on, then his quiver and folded up bow. He unfolded the bow with a quick thrust forward with his arm, then picked an arrow.

"Don't need a fire escape. But thanks." 

Alright, he had to admit that he wanted to show off just a little. All these people with powers everywhere, like it was nothing. He fired a grappling line arrow, hitting the wall just a foot away from the other Merge.

"See ya up there, I guess."

He pulled on the line and let it pull him up, quickly landing by the other Merge.

GM Post

The four building surrounded an open square, three tenements looking upon a warehouse the loading dock apparently being used for a makeshift stage. The area was filled with a large number of local crooks and villains. Ranging from the local gangs, clusters together to avoided each other, to the minor league super villains that called this area home. Nothing more powerful than a D-list at best, including the one that the other Merge was standing beside apparently looking bored.

Individually one of two might be a slight effort to defeat, but as a whole they would be a challenge to heroes like them. Worse it was obvious that someone had gathered them together to try and form them into a new criminal league.

Archer II

"Damn."

Connor didn't have any issue getting into big fights. It was kind of his thing, but this? D-listers or not, that was a lot of super powered people in one place.

He had some arrows that could help, but this was still a lot of bad guys all in one place. He didn't like it.

"Any of you spot the leader?" Cut off the head of the snake, right? Break this thing up before it became a thing in the first place. "How fast can you get out of there?" 

Connor reached for an arrow in his quiver. Thermite, a remote trigger, some camouflage... That should do it. Look for the right spot, then he fired the arrow behind the group. It ricocheted off the ground, sliding in under the group.

• 4 weeks later...

GM Post

Almost to the moment that the arrow struck the grown one of the roller doors began to open. From the limited light inside the warehouse the silhouette of a woman could be seen.

Ladies and gentlemen if I can have your attention please?” the feminine voice, with what sounded like a local accent, boomed and echoed around the urban amphitheatre.

She strolled onto the impromptu stage, on heels that seemed to be impracticable for just about everything, her costume looked like a something superhero inspired designed by a Paris fashionista.

We’ve not yet met but hopefully we’ll soon be allies in running Lincoln. Soon everyone will know the name Dama Maravilla!”

Merge Trois

Merge hadn’t, it was the very reason she was both standing on this building and in the crowd, but she wasn’t going to tell this overgrown Robin Hood that. Helpfully the villain choose that moment to appear on stage.

Well I’m just guessing that would be her now.” she said with a smirk

She had to admit that the woman had some showmanship about her, as one who used such methods herself, probably the stage seeming how she dominated the attention of the crowd.

A little derivative but she’s got some skills about her!”

• 2 weeks later...

Archer II

"Yeah."

Dama Maravilla. Connor would be lying if he said he had any idea what that meant. Probably something important. All of these super types wanted some fancy name that meant something. Couldn't just be something simple.

"How fast do you want this shut down? Want the plan first?"

Connor picked out a couple of arrow, placing them on his bow and took aim at Maravilla. 

"Give the word and I'll blow the arrow in the middle of the crowd. I got Maravilla in my sights."

Merge had worked this. She could call the shots, then.

• 3 weeks later...

Merge Trois

(His) Merge looked a little thoughtful for a few second, those outside weren’t a problem she could after all become a one woman army, but they didn’t know what support she had going on.

We should do some digging around to see if anyone else is held in reserve.” she looked over at Archer and added “You thing you can get inside without being noticed?”

It was actually a genuine question and not her normal challenge to someone else's abilities, not was the time to show at least a little professionalism.

Archer II

Connor paused and lowered his bow and looked at Merge. He looked almost insulted at the question.

"Yeah, I think I can do that."

He didn't like it, but fine. If that was what they needed to do.

"I'm much better up here, with a vantage point where they can't get to me, but alright. I'll do it your way."

Get down without being seen? Yeah, alright. He could do that. Connor switched to another arrow, it into the wall next to them and, holding on to the line attached to it, began slowly moving down the side of the building.

• 2 months later...

GM Post

The old warehouse was an abandoned damp brick building with that smell you’d expect from that combination of features. It did make it easy to see where everyone could be in the dim light coming from the high windows of the place.

Roughly on the middle was a series of vans parked in a circle to create a space in the middle. From the middle, unseen for now, was a series of hushed voices including the new supervillain that had revealed herself to the two bit hoods.

She was it seemed waiting for the best opportunity to reappear, with quite a flare for the dramatic it seems.

Merge Trois

It was difficult to stand out and look like you were being stealthy at the same time bout Merge managed to pull it off, with boots that no sane person would wear at the best of time let alone when being stealthy. Yet that was Merge’s style and she managed just fine without any real thought, she was use to such things after all.

Well this is your show bow boy, I’ll follow your lead in all this.” she whispered apparently not sure where Archer was hiding out completely.

It wasn’t a bad guess but she was slightly off, which would be handy if this was all a scam on her part.