Hero Class: Did You Say Run?

EternalPhoenix

The Wreck Room. Claremont Academy. Bayview, Freedom City. September 21, 2020.

Hinako Fujimori looked over the assembled Violet Squad. Three Seniors, two Sophmores. Though two of the Seniors had missed significant time.  The substitute teacher was of Japanese descent, and wearing a pretty stylish red tracksuit with white accents. She seemed perhaps a little young to be a teacher, but not overly so. “Konnichiwa! Watashi wa Fujimori Hinako desu ka.” Then she blinked and smiled apologetically. “Ah, gomen gomen.” She cleared her throat. “Don’t speak English too much at home. Started in default mode. Sorry about that. What I said was, hello! I’m Hinako Fujimori. I’ll be your Physical Education teacher for today. Now let’s see.” She flipped through her phone and found what she was looking for. “Oh, this’ll be fun.” She put her phone away. “So, today’s exercise is a unique one. What we’re going to do is pit two of you against another two in a timed event. Two of you will be playing ‘villain’ with a fake bomb on the second floor of a building. Two more will be playing the ‘heroes’. Lulu?” She looked at the five pointedly until Lulu identified herself. “Oh, good. They did not give me pictures of you guys, so please be patient with me there. You, Lulu, will decide who is on which team and their strategies. The other students will have input, of course, but the final decision is yours. This is both lesson and test. So…good luck and any questions?”

"Any limitation?" Leon asked. The young man stood, hands in the pocket of a blue pull-over hoodie with white stripes running down the sleeves. Under it he wore a white sleeveless shirt and blue sweatpants. Black sneakers completed the outfit as he stood with the rest of violet squad.

"I mean, are we talking 'no-holds-barred'?"

"Well, ah think in the interest of safety it'd be best to pull our punches, at least initially," said Lulu as she stroked her chin thoughtfully. "At least until we have a better idea of what we're capable of, in terms of powers and abilities. After that, maybe we can talk 'bout takin' the gloves off."

Looking over the assembled teens, she tapped her lower lip. "Well, brother and sister have an advantage either way, seein' as they probably know what each other can do. So fairest thing to to is split 'em up."

After a few seconds, she slowly pointed at Kendra and Tabitha. "Chronia and the Spectacle are the 'bad guys'. They have to protect the bomb, which is set to explode in ten minutes." Then she turned to Leon and Tremayne"Paper and Sureshock are the 'good guys'. They have to reach the bomb and deactivate it before it goes off."

Lulu turned to Miss Fujimori and shrugged. "How's that sound? Is ten minutes too short, or maybe too long?" Then a thought occured to the telepath, and she laughed and slapped her forehead. "Oh shoot, that's just 'girls versus boys', ain't it? Ah didn't mean to set it up that way, ah was just tryin' to balance powers."

Edited by Heritage

"Woo!  That sounds like a complete blast"  Tremayne enthusiastically replied.  At no point had he even consider the potential risk openly posed by either teen.   Of course high school football practice came with plenty of hard knocks too.  His finger moved along the air a spark of electricity tracing after as he pointed to his sister. "Just don't tell ma I was bullying you after we beat y'all.  Do we get bonus points the faster we win?"

Tabitha for her part rolled her eyes at her brother's enthusiasm and gave a noncommittal shrug.  If she had any reservations  with the way her former roommate had drawn up the arrangements she certainly didn't voice them.  Instead letting the other students take the question and answer portion of the exercise.  Not exactly one to get high marks in any classes that had a participation metric.

Chronia

Kendra was just spacin’ out a bit. School bored her to tears, as the expression went. Sophomore high school classes, even her, didn’t challenge her intellect at all. But then Miss Fujimori, the substitute phys ed teacher, unleashed this thing on Violet Squad, and suddenly she had Kendra Farron’s full attention. And as usual, she was about as subtle as a brick to the forehead about it. She didn’t speak, mind, but her excitement and enthusiasm for either kicking the crap out of someone or just defeating them without really hurting them (because she could do that) shone like a beacon. It wasn’t bloodlust, really. She just liked proving herself superior in combat, and it was obvious to anyone with working eyes and a functioning brain.

GM

Miss Fujimori smiled. “Fifteen minutes, actually. You get an extra five to interview the police on the scene. I’m playing that role today. The hero side can take or discard it as they see fit. As for limitations…Leon?” After his affirmation she continued. “Even if you’re playing the villain role today don’t forget you’re here to learn how to be a hero. So let’s not put anyone into the hospital today, all right? You don’t want to injure your squadmates.” She looked at Tremayne and gave him a mysterious smile. “Who knows? Just do your best. Lulu? Let me know when you’re ready and we’ll get the simulation started.”

"Ah'm ready," Lulu said with a nod, doing her best to hide the goofy smile that wanted to spread across her face; she was both excited by and proud of this responsibility, and she wanted Miss Megan to know she did a good job. 

"And just so y'all know, ah got eyes and ears all over the place; you pull some nonsense, ah'm gonna know."

"I'll pass on interviewing the police.  If we go in boom, zap, ruffle ruffle it'll be no muss and no fuss."  Tremayne replied.  Obviously he couldn't speak for Leon, if the other teenage boy wanted to speak to the police he wouldn't stop him.  But, Tremayne had already decided for himself that Miss Fujimori's evasiveness was as good as an admission that the faster they went the better they scored.  With the sort of logic only a teenage boy could muster up.

He's nuttier than squirrel turd.  Tabitha decided to make the conscious decision to think.  Outwardly she stayed silent and simply began walking towards Kendra.  

Leon made a non-committal noise as his attention was focused on the building, sizing up the two-story building. His attention shifted to the girls as Tabitha joined Kendra to take their head start. As he watches them enter the building he addresses Tremayne. "Two questions. You know what the girls can do? And, what can you do?" Leon paused, then added. "Third question, you got your phone?"

GM

Miss Fujimori shrugged. “Okay, then let the games begin.” The area warped around them as the Wreck Room’s high tech formed a city street in Freedom. Police cars, tape, and saw horses blocked access further out.. The building in question was obvious, due to the layout. Two stories. This was probably Lincoln, maybe the Southside. A neighborhood full of row homes. There was nothing else to be said, so Tabitha and Kendra entered and climbed to the second floor. This row home was both twice the length and width of a normal one. Which was good, as the big cartoon bomb (Fat Man/Little Boy style) wouldn’t have fit in the room otherwise. Outside, the area’s transformation had even changed Miss Fujimori’s appearance. Or rather, just disguised it. She was in a police uniform now. She glanced at her phone. “Okay, Lulu. Since you’re telepathic, you can feed both parties instructions if you see fit to do so. Otherwise, fifteen minutes starting…” She touched the screen. “Now.”

Chronia

On the second floor by the big cartoon bomb, Kendra grinned widely. They were going to compete. Probably even fight a little. God, she loved this stuff. “We’re gonna kick their butts!” She spoke as someone incredibly excited about the prospect of competition. Again, she wasn’t displaying bloodlust, or a love of combat for the sake of combat. She liked winning fights, and she was thinking how hard could this possibly be? She’d been in more fights than these three had years in their lives. She spoke a word, and her Chronoscythe expanded to full size. Mr. Pibbles, the stuffed rabbit, remained tied at her waist by his ribbons. “Don’t worry, I won’t hurt your brother too bad. We’re all friends here.” With that, she laughed. This was gonna be so great.

Shock & Awe

Tremayne looked at Leon with wry grin before pulling out his phone and shaking it.  "I only know sis is made of some sort  of weird metal.  She can take a hit with a car head on.  As for me."    Tremayne, no Sureshock responded without a second's hesitation pointing his hand at the sky and letting a surge of electricity spike upwards.  It was flashy and ostentatious and in no way wholly necessary for answering Leon's question.  In regard's to Tabitha's powers, Tremayne knew she could probably lift a car too.  But, Tabitha's lack of apparent enthusiasm at the whole super thing meant his only familiarity with her upper limits were in passing.

"Hurt him all you want.  If he was smart he would try to short the electricity.  But instead that boy has about as much brains as a goose turned upside down. He's going to be breaking things loudly the entire time"  

"Time to be the eyes in the sky," Lulu said with enthusiasm as she held her arms out to either the side and began floating upwards as she disappeared from view. "Ah'll let you know if anythin' looks wrong, Miss Hinako." True, she could use her ESP from pretty much anywhere nearby, but it felt better to have the field of play below her to help visualize everything.

This is so cool! Ah don' think ah've ever used all these powers together!

"Let me see it." Leon held out his hand to Tremayne as he nodded, clearly asking to see the phone as he pulled out his own.

"Right, so avoid a head on fight with your sister, duely noted." He glanced over at Sureshock's 'little display' and cocked an eyebrow. "I guess some of us don't need to worry about dead batteries." He joked glancing around the fake street and it's surroundings. "Metal, huh? Does that mean she can ground you out?" He asked giving the other boy a side glance.

• 2 weeks later...

Chronia

Kendra (no, it was Chronia now, wasn’t it?) frowned. “Boys are boys. Ten thousand BCE or right now. Always boys. So obvious. Men aren’t, always. It’s so weird.” At the lightning bolt spiking into the sky, she added “See? Obvious.” Her arms were surrounded by blue green gears in a clockwork effect. Where her body was appeared to slightly blur, as the same color turned into a force field around her. This was her Chronal Uncertainty Field. It made her a lot harder to hit, and that was a fact. She cracked her neck. “Okay, I’ll kick his butt.” She grinned. “Good and hard.” The gears did not go away, but Chronia did briefly. A full scout of the rooms, so she’d know where everything was. Oh, yes. This was going to be fun.

- Hey, watch where you shoot that lightning! Some of us are flying up here! -

Lulu's voice, minus her accent for some reason, suddenly appeared inside Tremayne's head. The tone was good-natured, but with just a hint of fear and annoyance.

The boys still seemed to be just goofing around while the two girls were already getting to work; typical. Hopefully they'd start taking this more seriously soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Shock and Awe

Sorry.  I didn't mean to make the sparks fly between us.  A real shocking turn of events.  Tremayne responded.  Although, the apology portion of his statement was meant to be genuine.  It had all the lack of self-reflection one could expect from a teenage boy.  He then pondered Leon's question.  "No idea.   Maybe.  She's never tried.  The same thing that makes her her, makes me me.  So there's probably some weird stuff, she always turns me down when I want to practice though."

The Spectacle didn't pay much mind to Chronia's assuredness at kicking her brother's butt.  She did, however, openly ponder their scenario.  "Why would we be directly in front of the bomb when it goes off?  I can't tell if our characters are hired mercenaries or terrorists.  I guess both do exist."

Taking Tremayne's phone, Leon uses ite to video-call his own phone. Switching to the back camera, he leaves the line open as he pockets his phone and pulls out a few sheets of paper. He wraps Tremayne's phone in the paper then tosses the boy's phone into the air, the paper folding out into the body of a small bird with Tremayne's phone nestled in it's body.

Pulling his own phone out again, Leon's screen shows the view from Tremayne's camera. The paper bird flays towards the house to get a look inside the windows. "Always case a target before going in." Leon says as he watches his phone to learn the layout, and possibly where the girls are inside.