Think Fast! (IC)

The students were in the gym, getting in a little free time after classes before supper. 

Leon had just come down off the rock wall, his feet safe on the mat, when he heard the voice call out. 

"Think fast!

When he turned around, there was a volleyball whipping towards his face so fast it seemed to blur - and then abruptly vanished into nothingness inches before it might have struck. 

"Hah!" The speaker was Eira Katastroff, hands on her hips and looking pleased. "You are fast," she said cheerfully as she approached Leon. Leon had seen the blue-haired Swede lifting weights earlier, but she showed not a hint of sweat on her pale skin, her blue and gold leotard just visible under her fully-zipped Claremont outdoor jacket. She was about to say more when she was approached by Mr. Kuzkin, the elderly drama teacher having volunteered to monitor the evening workout routine, who firmly informed her that dangerous pranks were strictly forbidden in gym class, while Eira shot back that a silly hologram could hardly have actually hurt him, and... 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leon was enjoying the rock wall, it was a fun change from climbing buildings. Letting go of the wall he landed on the mat with a satisfied huff.  He stood there barefoot in sweatpants and a sleeveless t-shirt, he didn't actually have a costume yet. Besides, it was free time.

1 hour ago, Avenger Assembled said:

"Think fast!

When he turned around, there was a volleyball whipping towards his face so fast it seemed to blur - and then abruptly vanished into nothingness inches before it might have struck.

Leon glanced over his shoulder only to see a volleyball coming right at him. Acting on instinct the young man twisted aside and dropped into a crouch. Even as he did so, the ball vanished into thin air before it would have actually reached him.

"Hah!" The speaker was Eira Katastroff, hands on her hips and looking pleased. "You are fast," she said cheerfully as she approached Leon. Leon had seen the blue-haired Swede lifting weights earlier, but she showed not a hint of sweat on her pale skin, her blue and gold leotard just visible under her fully-zipped Claremont outdoor jacket.

Leon scowled for moment, but then he smirked as he stood up straight. He remembered her from the prom incident. Word he had heard around school was she was some kind of robot, android, terminator, or something. Leon's brother would be fascinated, but Leon wasn't impressed. She acted just like any other high school girl (a high school girl that could probably flip a car without any trouble judging by the weights he had seen her pressing without any trouble.). He had seen her hanging off some pretty boy in the aftermath.

She was about to say more when she was approached by Mr. Kuzkin, the elderly drama teacher having volunteered to monitor the evening workout routine, who firmly informed her that dangerous pranks were strictly forbidden in gym class, while Eira shot back that a silly hologram could hardly have actually hurt him, and... 

Leon gave the teacher a friendly smile as he cut in. "It's okay, teach...I mean, Mr Kuzkin. No harm, no foul. Besides, its not like she could have actually hit me."  He added, flashing Eira a cocky smirk.

Mr. Kuzkin could be (well, was) something of a stick-in-the-mud - but he wasn't the type to make trouble with no one complaining. He gave Eira a teacherly 'watching you' look, nodded to Leon and left the teens to sort out their own drama. Besides, it looked like someone was horsing around with the free weights across the room. 

"Thank you," said Eira, shaking her head as she watched Kuzkin depart. "That is the trouble here, there is always someone watching." She smiled at Leon and extended her hand. "Eira Katastroff Natt och Dag. You are Leon, yes?" She smirked, her grip firm, and added, "I could have hit you." She flexed the fingers of her free hand, and a faintly glowing volleyball appeared in her palm. "The hologram is faster than human neuro-muscular fibers can fire.

21 hours ago, Avenger Assembled said:

"Thank you," said Eira, shaking her head as she watched Kuzkin depart. "That is the trouble here, there is always someone watching." She smiled at Leon and extended her hand. "Eira Katastroff Natt och Dag. You are Leon, yes?"

"Tell me 'bout it." Leon smirked, looking at her hand for a moment before deciding to take it. "Ya, that's me."

21 hours ago, Avenger Assembled said:

She smirked, her grip firm, and added, "I could have hit you." She flexed the fingers of her free hand, and a faintly glowing volleyball appeared in her palm. "The hologram is faster than human neuro-muscular fibers can fire.

Leon returned the smirk. "Well now, that sounds like a challenge." He eyed the faint ball. "Hologram, huh? This ain't some old, sci-fi show. You can actually hit stuff with a hologram." He said, then after a moment he looked at her with a quirked eyebrow and added. "Can you?"

Eira responded by hurling the ball at his head again, this time too fast to dodge - but it passed right through without doing any damage. "It lacks the energetic substrate for you to feel the impact," she said with concession in her voice, "but adding that is a mere matter of internal developments. There is only so much room inside the system, yes?" She showed Leon the palm of her hand, where a faintly glowing circle in the center seemed to be what produced the ball. When they were close, she asked him, too quietly for the teachers to hear, "You were arrested, yes?" She sounded more interested than appalled - and the question sounded rhetorical.

Leon stiffened as the holographic ball passed harmlessly through his head with surprising speed. After a moment he relaxed and tried to look unfazed. "Ya, of course." He said looking at the glowing circle in her palm. Feeling a slight twinge at the sight of it, he thought of his sister.

Realizing Eira was leaning in close Leon tensed a little, ready to react when she asked about him being arrested. Her tone though wasn't accusing or disdainful, causing him to give her a curious look as he tried to gauge her. Leon inclines his head a little in acknowledgement and lowers his voice similiarly. "I was, a few times actually." He watched her for a reaction. "Even landed in juvie once."

Eira smiled, blue-painted lips pulling back from perfectly white teeth. "A lot of people around here are very set in their ways, yes?" That smile was definitely a smirk. "They might not understand someone who had not always been a perfect superhero at every single moment of their lives." She considered, then said, "Do you want to...hang out some time? I have caused some trouble before.

Leon tried to gauge Eira, but it was hard to 'read' a machine. He nodded slowly. "I know what mean. Though judging from a few other kids I've seen around campus, there are a few less then 'heroic' types in the student body." He tilted his head as he considered her invitation to hang out. It could be a trap he considered. Some kind of 'hazing' bit on the new kid, but he was confident he could slip out of any trouble that came his way.

"Sure." He says after a moment, then smirks himself. "Just hope that pretty boy you hang out with doesn't mind you hangin' out with an ex-con."

Eira hissed dismissively, her pale face curling into a frown. "I am not his property," she said firmly. "But Pan is very pretty - and he sees things the way I do. We could all...hang out together, yes?" She smiled, showing teeth again, and said, "The children here think in binary. There are heroes and there are villains, and anyone who does not act like a hero must be a villain. But I have seen more things than most of them. So what have you done?" she asked curiously as they walked out of the gym together, her Swedish accent distinct but not quite thick. 

On 9/9/2020 at 9:40 PM, Avenger Assembled said:

Eira hissed dismissively, her pale face curling into a frown. "I am not his property," she said firmly.

Leon had to chuckle at Eira's affirmation, but stifled it and nodded along as she continued. He grabbed the towel he had brought and shouldered his gym bag.

On 9/9/2020 at 9:40 PM, Avenger Assembled said:

"So what have you done?" she asked curiously as they walked out of the gym together, her Swedish accent distinct but not quite thick. 

"That depends." He smirks, then chuckles. "Are you wearing a wire?" He raises an eyebrow at Eira as they walk.

"If you're really curious though, mostly B&E and theft. We would target up-scale shops and homes, or sometimes other criminals that liked to flash their cash... or were assholes." He shrugged. It wasn't information that would be hard to find out so he didn't mind talking about it. As long as she didn't try to weasel details out of him "Basically, anyone that could afford to take the hit. Rober-... Satchel was good at picking our marks." Leon mentally facepalmed at the slip-up with his brother's name, but he tried not to let it show on his face.

"How?" Leon grinned mischievously. "By being quick and careful, and watching each others backs. It helps to have people you can trust and depend on." He sighed a little and wiped his face with the towel. "The one time I did wind up in juvie, they didn't realize I was 'special' and my brother and sister were able to break me out. They weren't prepared for us, after all breaking in to places is kinda our thing." He grinned again.

Leon left out his meeting a fellow student in there back in the day. It wasn't his place to spread that particular tale.

"A daring escape? How absolutely scandalous." The voice from above was, of course, familiar to Eira. Not so much to Leon. "Why, somebody should think of the children! What kind of role models would we all be?" The tone was light, there was a hidden laugh behind the voice, some golden dust glittering starting to glitter down from above. "Hello, I do not believe we have met. I am Pan the Forever Boy."

He was in his full costume, mask and all, but then again, to Pan that was not much different from normal Earth clothes, was it now? He floated down, his feet still never touching the ground, planting a quick peck on Eira's cheek, before turning to Leon. "Tell me more. Spare no details!"

He paused briefly.

"You are right, by the way. I am very pretty."

"Heeeeh," Eira laughed awkwardly, her pale cheeks blushing pink - but she put her arm around Pan anyway, and looked happy to see him there. "I had to tell him the truth," she said, kissing him back before she said "Everyone knows you are the prettiest boy here. And this is Leon. He was just about to tell me why he is here and not in jail." She winked at him. 

Leon stopped walking at the new voice. "Huh?" He looks up, watching Pan float down to join them. Eira was obviously excited to see him. "Pan? Forever boy?" He tilts his head, taking in his outfit, and smirks. "Whatever you say Peter. I never wanted to be a role model."

He watches as Eira drapes herself over him and she introduces him, he gives a short nod.

"He was just about to tell me why he is here and not in jail." She winked at him. 

"Why I'm here? That's a different story." Leon unconsciously flexes his left hand. His tone changes, loosing its humor for a moment. "You could say it nearly cost me an arm and a leg." Leon starts walking again, after a few moments of silence from him he sighs. "I was at a museum after hours. There was a book I wanted to... take a closer look at." He smirked. "I was careless and took too long. The cops showed up and I was about to make escape when the museum shook. The floor collapsed, I fell and hit my head. It hurt like hell, but I was able to get up, that's when I noticed one of the cops fell with me. I heard something above us cracking and looked up to see a huge chunk of... something, coulda been the ceiling or an upper floor, I don't know. But when it fell, I just... reacted." Leon shrugged. "I protected the cop, but I was... injuried, seriously. I was held in the hospital until Mr. Marquez came by to give me the third degree. He left and a couple days later I'm getting a choice, off to a more secure cell or play nice and go to school. Learn to be a responsible member of society." Leon air quotes the last couple words with his free hand.

"No, not Peter," Pan corrected. "That was just one of the things Mr. Barrie got wrong, or changed."

He let Leon continue his story, listening with some interest, but occassionally leaning in close to Eira, pulling her to him before loosening his grip again. He didn't seem to pay Leon's story all that much mind, at least not until it was over.

"Responsibility? Such a boring word, yes? So, what will they do if you simply... do not? Cause trouble, then you go to jail, is that it?" Eira would probably recognize Pan's tone. Ideas were brewing.

"But there must be some limits," said Eira teasingly. "After all, every hero loves a redemption story, yes?" She wrapped her arm around Pan's midsection. "If they threw him out for every little thing, where is the redemption? There must be some room for...adventure!" She demonstrated that by scooping Pan up in her arm and flinging him casually into the sky - with his weight (as they both well knew) it was a thoroughly easy trick. She could get some good distance, too. 

Leon rolled his eyes ever so briefly at the display. He wasn't sure he'd be able to stomach it if they got any more lovey-dovey.

"Redemption is for suckers, books, and video games. And I can't remember any of them ending well. After all, no good deed goes unpunished." He says as he angles towards the dorms. "Now, adventure, that's sounds a little more fun. If you need a note faked, beer bought, or something someone else has... 'found', just gimme a call."

"But one should not underestimate stories," Pan added as he came down from the impromptu flight. With a shimmer of golden dust rolling over his body his uniform disappeared, being replaced by a dark green hoodie and a pair of jeans. "There is adventure all around us, here." He put his hands out to the side as if to emphasize his point. "Since I ended up at this school I have seen wonders that you would never expect to see in a life time. I have fought Nazi super villains, a giant Krampus and tricked a demon lord into disappearing by my word alone. I have been in books, in the past during one of your world's great wars, in a shared dream and so many more places."

He paused, obviously for dramatic effect, before he grinned at Leon. "If you want adventure, then this is the place for it."

Leon had to chuckle at Pan's claims, but he didn't think he should out right dismiss them.

16 hours ago, RocketLord said:

He paused, obviously for dramatic effect, before he grinned at Leon. "If you want adventure, then this is the place for it."

"Don't get my hopes up to high." He smirked. "Though it would be nice to have something to brag to my brother and sister about. Especially after missing out on the book that put me here." Leon sighed a little at the thought, but quickly changed the subject. "So, you two ever sneak of campus?" He asks, a little too innocently.

Pan seemed almost offended. "Me, sneak off campus? Commit a serious offense like that? Do something that I am not allowed to do?" His voice was rising slightly, becoming almost horrified. He held a hand up towards Leon as he spoke.

And then the next second both he and Eira were just gone, like they had disappeared, a glimmer of golden dust left behind.

And then they were back.

"No, never." His grin was wider than ever, perhaps a bit more than it should be possible.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:00 PM, Avenger Assembled said:

"What did you have in mind?

Leon grinned. "I'm sure we can think of something." Then smirked at Pan's mock indignation, but was surprised when to two disappeared. He looked around quickly then back at the space they had occupied a moment ago.

He started to wonder if they had teleported or just turned invisible. His eyes narrowed, but before he test any theory the two of them reappeared. Leon did his best not to show his surprise.

12 hours ago, RocketLord said:

"No, never." His grin was wider than ever, perhaps a bit more than it should be possible.

He smirked at Pan. "Well now, isn't that cheating." He teased. "Some of us work had to be sneaky."

"It is a date, yes?" said Eira in a tone of voice that said she wasn't exactly asking. "I know a place," she said. "We can go to the amusement park this weekend - there is always trouble there. And if there is not, we could make some of our own." She grinned at the thought, sliding her hands inside her bulky jacket pockets before she added, "If you are not afraid of trouble, that is." she added with a wink at Leon. 

"The amusement park?" Leon repeats thoughtfully, then smiles mischievously. "Ya, that sounds fun." He nods.

"If you are not afraid of trouble, that is." she added with a wink at Leon. 

"Afraid of it?" Leon chuckles and grins. "It's what I live for."

"For now tho, I think I'm gonna take a shower before I hit up dinner." He smirks at Eira as he thumbs back at the dorms. "Some of us actually work up a sweat in the gym."

Leon turns to head back to the dorms to take a shower before heading to the cafeteria.