Unsocial media - September / October vignette 2020

Like everyone in the world superheroes have to deal with the world of social media, being both incredibly popular and most private makes it a very fine line for a superhero to walk especially when they’re well know enough to be an influence (but not normally influencer) for the populous.

So how does your hero deal with social media? Give us an example of there experience with social media, some examples being:

• Media written about fan on the heroes, thread posts, tweets or even fan fic about the hero (though not the really racy stuff).

• Interactions between the heroes and fans in some form of AMAs, or heroes trying to fool people to stop smart fans discovering something about them.

• Reactions of heroes to any media produced by others about them, maybe someone TikTok claiming that mustache is totally CGI’d or maybe they’ve gone one Ao3 and found that really racy fan fic about them…

Mentions of supposed interaction with NPC, heroes and villains, but if you want to include a PCs character make sure to get there permission first.

Or if you’re one of those old people then you can talk about traditional media, those failed TV pilots and “tell-all” books, or a mix of new and classic media as needed.

And we all know that the Internet can get a little dark and sweary but remember to keep thinks within the sites guidelines and keep things PG-13.

These Social Media gems should be posted no later than the 31st October 2020.

(As a reminder, vignettes follow the same general rules as posts in terms of content, player character limits, and so on. You may have only one vignette per player character. Each vignette should be at least one page (~500 words) in length; if posted in your thread counts at the end of the month, it is worth 1pp for the associated character. An especially long vignette, 1000 words or more, may be worth up to 2pp. Multiple players can collaborate on a single vignette - we recommend Google Docs for this, it's very useful - but the vignette should be about one page per participating player.)

• 1 month later...

Disaster Lesbians

Extract from Warrior Woman and Me, by Cmdr Tracy “Teddy” Matthews

Chapter Four

In late ‘66 GPO boffins decided to create a computer to explore some ideas the Yanks were having about what would become today's Internet. As they were building the thing in the newly minted Post Office tower some wag decided to nickname it Global Overwatch Device, the name stuck and one researcher took it upon it to teach this mechanical wonder Christian values. However they did too good a job and the computer decided that the best way to enforce those values was to enslave humanity, even the presence of sin could set its circuits a rattling.

So we awoke to strange pepper-pots patrolling the London streets, theses metaltrons at the control of there mechanical GOD. Luckily Klara was already at my place having spent the night in various fun activities so we started to make our way towards the Post Office tower. The computer might be the superior intellect but it couldn’t build a decent robot to save its existence, these machine couldn’t even handle a gentle slope for one. Klara was throwing them about like they were made of balsa wood, but as we got closer to the tower they got thicker in number so Klara was swamp trying to keep the path free to the tower.

Luckily along the way picked up some help, an older professor and his two assistance a young woman and sailor, they’d apparently work out the same time what was going on. Strangely after the fact I couldn’t find any records of this scientist, like he just disappeared into the ether.

With Klara running interference we made it to the top of the tower and another problem, the computer was sealed into a protective shell that without any powers of our own we couldn’t do anything to dent the shell. Then an idea stuck me and I turned to the rest of my little impromptu companions.

The machine doesn’t like anything not in the good book? Could we break it by breaking it in some way that way? After a few um and arghs of though the Professor (of practically everything he claimed) decided that it would work. Most of the seven sins seemed out, but one potential seemed to stand out to me, and whilst the young lady seemed keen on the sailor she seemed keen enough to help me in this potential plan.

It wasn’t a greatest of kisses, it was one of my first, but (mostly) for effect we put as much into it as we could the machine has to believe it. It must have been a good enough a show as the poor computer blew a circuit and London was again safe.