GM

3PM, August 25th, 2020

University Hill, Emerald City

Naomi might not have expected that Elliot would ever take her up on the offer to talk or help with the issues at his school, but months after their meeting, she had received a simple text message:

Things are getting worse at the school.

I need your help.

Meet me at the Starbucks to the South of the University Hill Campus.

The Starbucks was busy. People talking all around. A lot of people that Naomi recognized from the university, some that she shared classes with, others that she had only see. It wasn't completely crowded, but there was enough people around that it would be difficult for anyone to cause a scene of any kind without being noticed.

She would soon see Elliot, sitting by himself by a table, fending off a guy that asked if he could sit.

Waverider

Naomi made her way over, not bumping into anyone at all. A fringe benefit of her vibration sense: Never bump into anyone you don’t mean to ever again. She was dressed normally today. Just a short sleeve blouse and a skirt that fell just above the knees and her backpack (containing both laptop and costume). As for the Starbucks…it was a Starbucks. They probably mass produced them as some factory somewhere, and assembled them on location. She had acquired a fruit smoothie prior to looking for Elliot, and now that she had spotted him, she walked over. With a wave, she sat down at his table and pulled out her phone. She did not type anything just yet.Did she ignore the guy trying to take a seat? Well, yeah. Elliot seemed to have that well in hand. And, you know, there was more than one extra seat anyway.

REBELLION

Elliot shook his head. "No, this seat's taken. I'm waiting for somebody. There's all these other places you can go."

The guy looked back with a snort, then turned around and walked away. He didn't seem pleased about it, but he didn't seem like he wanted to fight it either. With a groan, Elliot leaned forward over the table, burying his face in his arms. He seemed tired. Absolutely tired. Like he had barely slept for a few days.

Still, he let out a weak smile when he looked up to see Naomi. "Hey." He still had some bruises. Some of them seemed recent. "Sorry, that guy just kept bugging me to use the seat. I dunno what his deal was, he just really wanted to sit here."

He shook his head, sat up straight and took a long sip from his cup. 

"So, uh... yeah. Remember the school I go to that I told you about? That you and your "friends" might want to look into?" He looked around, like he was trying to make sure that no one was looking. "It's getting worse. They're planning something big."

Waverider

Naomi did in fact remember. She’d actually talked to both Justice and Salvo about it, and made a few inquiries of her own. There was only so much a college student could do, however, and she wasn’t an investigator of any kind really. [First, are you okay? My roommate’s Pre-Med.] He was awfully beat up. She worried. [But aside from that, how can I help?] There may not be a lot that Naomi Suleiman could do, but Waverider was a different thing entirely. She twitched a finger, and the noise from outside the table deadened. Nobody would overhear them now. [Don’t worry about spies, they can’t hear us now.]

REBELLION

Elliot looked around when the sound disappeared. His expression changed rapidly. Surprised, alert, wary, then some measure of safety when he looked down at Naomi's latest message on the phone. The side of his lips curled into a crooked grin that quickly disappeared, before he waved his concern off. "I'm fine. Don't worry about that. This is more important anyway."

He looked around again, making a loud "HMPH!", and when no one reacted, he leaned forward, holding a hand up to the side of his mouth so that no one else could see.

"Did you look into the Elysian Academy? Its not really a fun place, but its worse... so, I'm gonna expose myself a bit here, but don't take this the wrong way: Its a super villain school. My parents pretty much forced me to enroll there, wasn't my choice. They're trying to teach us all to be villains or something like that, and the headmaster really doesn't like MarsTech's whole Ultio Suit thing. I'm not sure what exactly they're up to, but they want to do something big."

Waverider

Naomi nodded. [I contacted a couple of my brainer associates about it and made a few discreet inquiries of my own. But I’m not a trained detective or investigator. I’m just a college student, and if you’re right these guys are pros so I couldn’t be too obvious.] Naomi opened her backpack and pulled out a composition notebook. She grinned. [Hackerproof. To start with, as you know, it’s an elite private school for rich people. Not nearly as many students as you’d expect, though. Kinda weird. And apparently some of them have powers.] She was referring to the three bullies from when they’d met before. That sounded an awful lot like Claremont, but the general public didn’t know that and she wasn’t about to reveal it to Elliot. Her own secret identity aside, it wasn’t her place to out Claremont.

REBELLION

"Yeah. Some of them." Elliot seemed to pull a bit into himself, rubbing his left shoulder with right hand. He sighed and leaned forward, like he didn't exactly trust the sound bubble Naomi had created. "The whole school's divided into these squad. Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta and Omega. Each group's being trained for different roles." He shook his head. "I'm supposed to be one of the fall guys, the muscle. Go in, do what the bosses say, get caught if necessary, then get bailed out. Not exactly what my mom had hoped for, but hey, that's life."

"I dunno what they're planning, but I don't want to be part of it. They're not just gonna let me go, no matter what. I need help."

Waverider

Naomi blinked and did not type anything. This felt a little too big for one person to help with. Maybe she should call in a teammate or two? She had skill and power, sure, but even she couldn’t fight off a whole super school. But maybe she was getting ahead of herself. Questions first. [Well, I’m pretty sure you didn’t call me so I could beat them all up. I’m good, but nobody’s that good. So basically, what’s happening and what can I do about it? How can I help you?] She added the new information to her notebook with a pen from her backpack. She’d have to relay this stuff to everyone when they met up again.

REBELLION

"Beating them up wouldn't be a bad thing, at least," Elliot mentioned, leaning forward on the table and burying his head in his arms for a moment before looking up at Naomi again. He looked about ready to give up, he just looked so frustrated with the whole thing. "I honestly don't know." He paused, a weird smile playing over his lips. "Blow up the school?" He seemed oddly happy about the idea.

"You got super hero friends, right? Maybe, I dunno, infiltrate the school? I'm gonna get in way too much trouble if I try to snoop around..."  He buried his head again, seemed like he was getting an idea. "There's this guy I've heard the teachers talking about. He's all black, like a shadow or something like that, snooping around, stealing info, messing up things. Going for the school, whoever's running the school... I dunno, worth a shot to try and find him, I guess?"

• 4 weeks later...

Waverider

Yeah, that could work. Naomi nodded. [Sounds good. If anyone has the details on what’s going on at the school, he does. Right?] She nodded again. [I do know a superhero. I just have to see if they’re free.] She already knew they were, being as it was herself she was talking about. [Tell me where this guy is usually found, and I’ll pass it on.]

REBELLION

Elliot buried his head in is arms and sighed again. He took a short moment before looking up. "I dunno. Honestly, he's kind of a rumor? Like, the boogeyman that runs around the school at night. I don't think any of the students have ever really seen him. Maybe I'm just reaching here, he might not even be real."

He was ramblng a bit, but he couldn't help it.

"I, I think I gotta go. Don't wanna get anyone suspicious. Sorry."

He grabbed his back and, with a final quick look at Naomi, he hurried out of the shop.

• 3 weeks later...

Waverider

Naomi sighed noiselessly, and let the sound flow normally again. Now she had to track down someone who may or may not be real, and who may or may not be of any actual help. Well, no time like the present, she guessed. She too, left the shop but a few minutes after Elliot had, to hopefully create the illusion that the two weren’t together at all. This guy only showed up at night, so going now would be pointless. After sundown, certainly after everyone else was more likely asleep. Yeah, midnight was a good starting pont. Her vibration senses would reach from the other side of their fence and/or wall. It was a plan. Naomi went back to her dorms to study and wait. Plus she had an afternoon class anyway.

GM

Midnight.

Elysian Academy was in the gated Sunset Hill community. Private security guards patrolled Sunset Hill as usual, but nothing Naomi would not be able to slip past.

The lights were off at the Elysian Academy. The academy was made up of several buildings in an art deco style, three larger and two smaller. The students were in their rooms, sleeping. Each had a small, individual room. No need to breed friendships by having students bunking together.

Naomi would be able to feel the vibrations of something patrolling the halls, moving rhytmically through the place. There was something artificial about the way they moved, sharp turns, perfect turns at every corner or intersection in the hallways. She could feel vibrations from under the buildings too, a soft hum. 

And something was moving across the roof of the main building.