Blackstaff stood behind Oz's shoulder watching the image shifts and moves. His eyes flicker here and there, searching for some kind of sign. When the little stone mouse appears Blackstaff smiles. "Well now, I guess we can consider that hard evidence" He chuckles, then clears his throat trying to stifle it. Apologizing for the bad pun. "Sorry. I guess the somewhere to start."

He gives Oz a moment to put his foci away before walking with the other mage. "I should consider carrying something I can use similarly. I usually use water for visual divinations." He says making small talk as they make their way towards the mall.

"mmm, certainly more plentiful than mirrors and reflective surfaces but i find it has limited angles on situations far to often." Oz huffed as he hastened along behind Blackstaff, his second breakfast still fresh in his stomach was slowing him down...though it was the elevensies that was threatening to make itself heeded most.

"It would appear that the venue is having some kind of chicken themed event so our exotic pet has a veritable field of decoys to hide amongst and no shortage of young children to accidentally turn his gaze against..." he gasped "do not let me slow you down i will follow as surely as anything but time is of the essence and prevention is as ever preferable to curing.:

Edited by Exaccus

GM

The duo approached the mall, making their way towards the statue. It wasn't difficult to find with Oz' guidance, but even then, the little mouse made of stone seemed out of place in the middle of the oviously chicken themed even. After all, there were no mice, save for background characters, in the movie. No, this was clearly the work of something else, something that should not be here.

It was difficult to avoid bumping into the running and shouting childrne, or the parents that desperately tried to keep up with them. It would not make their investigation any easier, at least.

Blackstaff tried his best to move through the crowd of children and parents at Oz's guidance. When they finally reached the little stone mouse he crouched near it. He followed the statue's gaze to see where it was looking when it was petrified. "It was looking that way when it made eye contact." Behind the googles his eyes scanned around, trying to gauge where their query was at the time and where it could have moved on to. 

"there are tracks here." oz murmured as he gestured with a gloved hand, briefly illuminating the imprints on the surface with a mild violet mage light "looks like our cockatrice has entered one of the screens...the darkness makes it dangerous enough but with everyone in the room's gaze fixed on a certain point it may stone them all instantly." he huffed as he hauled himself back up to standing position, taking a moment to gently grasp the petrified mouse and putting it in his pocket.

"I am primarily a transmuter so i can reverse the process of petrification if it comes to that but as they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure....I must confess i am no great strategist so if you have some plan for this i am more than willing to go along with it, tis a most delicate matter."

GM

The mouse's petrified form fit neatly in Oz's pocket. It was a tiny little thing, rough to the touch. Solid, yet brittle, he would have to take care of it.

The tracks led into one of the smaller screens, one that was showing the children's movie about the brave rooster. All was dark inside, except for the light from the screen where the rooster was currently jumping over a bull. 

But, perhaps they would need some strategy... or at least some way of finding Neil in the darkness.

• 3 weeks later...

Blackstaff glanced around the screening room. He leans closer to Oz and lowers his voice. "I'll check the left if you take the right. Hopefully there's enough light so if one of us spots him, they can signal the other. We'll see if we can lure him out with the treats without causing a scene." He suggests as he pulls the package of treats. He divides the threats, stuffing some in his coat pocket and handing the rest of the package to Oz.

GM

As the two shuffled around, not everyone was quite so pleased with the adult men that had made their way into the movie.

"Hey, find your seat and stick to it!" A man, probably a father there with his children, shouted at Oz. "You're blocking the view, pal!"

Others started to join him, complaining about the two men, the sound slowly growing louder, until all sound was silenced with a woman's scream, the man next to her having very much turned to stone... and Neil standing in front of the screen, happily clucking to the ceiling. At least he wasn't looking at anyone right this second.

Oz felt his cheeks puff with indignation but he held his peace, there were children present after all and opted to maintain focused on the task at hand finding the errant cockatrice.

his frustration only grew when someone else found him first and without the benefit of the goggles to protect them.

"Don't be scared, close your eyes! it can't turn you to stone if you don't make eye contact!" he cried out as he made his way to the stage and crouched down with a fistful of treats in his hand.

"here chicky chicky chicky...come to oswald..."

Blackstaff ignored the protests of the for the most part to start with. As the crowd became more agitated he tried to calm them with a polite tone.  "Look, we're sorry. We're just looking for a-"

What ever he was about to say was cut off by the sudden scream. Blackstaff cursed under his breath and turned to look. The cockatrice was sitting calmly in front of the screen, for now. He didn't want to wait to see for how long.

Oz was already approaching from his side. Blackstaff began to move down his side as he tried avoid the crowd that he was sure was about to start panicking.

"Everyone, please remain calm and do as he said. Close your eyes." He tried to sound calm and authoritative. "We are trained to deal with these kinds of situations." He lied. And if Oz looked at him he'd just give a little shrug.

Blackstaff looks around for anything that might be helpful. He gaze settles on the curtains hanging by the screen. An idea forms as he creeps closer and he starts gathering magic and shaping the spell in his mind.

GM

"Gack!" 

Neil made his presence known to any that might have missed him. On the screen behind him, the cartoon chicken was causing trouble once more. Neil looked at him, made another loud "Gack!" sound, then turned back and looked at Blackstaff.

The creature was part bird, part lizard. It stared around with large, bulbous eyes, and then, it slowly began to approach, creeping towards Blackstaff.

• 2 weeks later...

Blackstaff met Neil's attention and held up his hands in a placating gesture. "It's okay. We're not going to hurt." He said in a calm tone, trying to keep the creature's attention on himself and not startle it. Behind the goggles his eyes flickered in Oz's direction. He hoped the man had a way to restrain the cockatrice and chided himself for not making sure before hand. Slowly he moves his hand toward his coat pocket and the treats in it. "In fact, I think I have something you might like."

Pulling out a couple treats, he cautiously tosses one to land in front of Neil.

• 1 month later...

It was best, Oz thought not to interfere in this case, Neil could do far more harm if he fled in a panic than he could hope to contain.

"Easy does it my friend, he's just like a normal chicken, gotta get him to come in for a cuddle and a few strokes to the back of the neck and he'll fall right asleep."

Oz said calmly, animals had a knack for picking up on panic and panicking themselves in empathic fear of phantom worries.

GM

Neil moved closer, slowly, cautiously. He stared down at the floor, directly at the treats that Blackstaff had thrown out in front of him. 

He let loose another loud "GACK!" sound, then happily munched on the treats on the floor, with little care for anything else that was going on around him right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Blackstaff sighed a little in relief as Neil seemed to go for the offered treats. Slowly he crept forward a bit and tossed a couple more treats. "There you go. Good boy." He talks softly with one hand out, open palmed, and the treats in the other. "You've been a busy little bird." He tries to pet the cockatrice's neck comfortingly.