GM

Outside a barn in Island View, Emerald City

9PM, May 8th 2020

Charles Charlemagne was not exactly a well known name around Emerald City magic community, but yet, Blackstaff had heard about him. A man that seemed to care for magical creatures, even if his own magic power seemed non-existant, Charlemagne lived in an always moving mansion. Its door would appear on the side of random buildings around the city. If he wanted to be found, he would be. If not? You should count on your luck.

Blackstaff had found a note on the desk at his office. An invitation, to the Charlemagne Mansion, and a location. An offer for a job

By now, Blackstaff had found his way to the side of a barn in Island View. I held a simple wooden door, yet one that was entirely out of place in this location. And he was not alone.

Oz had received word that Charles Charlemagne wanted to see him. Last time they had met, he had aided Charlemagne in stopping would-be monster poaches. It seemed that Charlemagne had been suitably impressed to reach out to him again.

Christopher stood before the door intruding on the barn wall. With him stood an older man he didn’t know. Glancing away from the door, he looked the gentleman over and gave him a nod in greeting.

“A friend of Mister Charlemagne’s?” Christopher asks as he extends a hand and introduces himself, palming a business card into the gentleman's hand as he does so. “Christopher Daye.”

The card reads: Blackstaff Investigations - Christopher Daye, P.I.

A phone number and address are printed under that.

He glances back at the door. “I take it you received an invitation as well.”

Oswald had made his way to the menageries door upon reciving word Charlemagne wanted to see him, it had been a while since they'd last met and settled that terrible buisness about the poachers, he'd taken a moment to whip up a batch of thaumic biscuits by way of a gift.

He was suprised to see someone else there, from what he knew of charlemagne he prefered to keep to himself and enjoy the creatures of his menagerie more than his fellow man with distinct exceptions.

"Greetings, Mr Daye, I am an aquaintance of Mr Charlemagne indeed...it troubles me that he should have need of a private investigator though." he remaked as he turned the card over in investigation

"I take it you are a practicioner of the craft?"

GM

The door stood still. Perhaps it flickered a little bit? Maybe it would move soon? It was not as if Charlemagne's Mansion tended to stay in one place for long, much like the tiger-like man in the magic market had told Oz the last time he had met Charlemagne.

In fact, the door opened and a penguin stood in the door, staring at the two men.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:26 PM, Exaccus said:

"Greetings, Mr Daye, I am an aquaintance of Mr Charlemagne indeed...it troubles me that he should have need of a private investigator though." he remaked as he turned the card over in investigation

"I take it you are a practicioner of the craft?"

"That depends." Christopher gave a wry smile. "If you need someone to follow your spouse because you think they're cheating on you. No. But, if you can't find your favorite pet and your kid tells you it's because something in his closet snatched it up. Then, yes, I practice the craft." He chuckled for a moment before noticing the door start to flicker.

"Guess we shou-" But  he cut off as the door opened on its own. Of all the things he expected to see, a penguin had not even been on the list. "Hmm."

Christopher glance at Oz, then back at the penguin. "Ah, we're here to see Mister Charlemagne." He addressed the flightless bird.

"good day barry, i came as quickly as i could upon the reciving the request for my presence, i whipped these up on the way." he said offering the penguin his box of magical biscuits.

"please help yourself to some." he added hastily, unsure if that was or was not a given in earth culture, he'd not done an awful lot of interaction since putting down roots, at least with the dominant human society at least, the wood clan kept largely to their own traditions and cultural norms.

not that it mattered entirely when one was conversing with a penguin of course.

"I had hoped that things were well...though i fear that is not so given the...circumstances." he said casting a glance at the younger mage besides him.

Christopher looked over at Oz then back at the penguin, waiting to see how the creature responded. He had learned to take things in stride and not to judge by first impressions.

"So, I take it this is normal for Mister Charlemangne?" He asks with a raised eyebrow and a friendly smile.

"Can't say I've seen many avian doormen. It's an honor Mr. Barry" He gives the penguin a polite nod.

Edited by Spacefurry

GM

Barry the Butler looked from Oz to Christopher, and back again. "I am no doorman!" he bellowed at Christopher's remark, in a voice both squeaky and deep at once, actually puffing himself up just a tiny bit at the remark. "I am the butler! And you will do well to remember that!" He looked suspiciously at Oz. Well, at any rate, the pair got the distinct feeling that he was looking at Oz with suspicion. "Mister Charlemagne has requested your presence, even if only the gods know why. There is little time for snacks! This is indeed a matter of utmost importance!"

He looked at the biscuits once, then turned away and went back inside, waiting for the two mages to follow.

Once both were inside, the door would shut itself behind them, and they would find themself in a rather large, round room. There was a fountain in the middle, with small birds in all the colors of the rainbow swimming around in it. It wasn't the same entrance as the one that Oz had last seen.

Charles Charlemagne stood by the fountain, hands in the pockets of his brown shorts. He wore sandals and a white t-shirt with a yellow smiley face on the front. His hair was short and red. His beard was impressive in its long braid. His fingers were adorned with sparkling rings.

He turned, a smile on his lips, as he spread out his arms. "My friends! It is good to see you!"

When Barry spoke Christopher raised his eyebrows but managed not gape or say anything rude. When the the miffed 'butler' turned and re-entered the interior he glanced one last time at Oz then followed after the penguin. "Well, tonight is just going to be full of surprises, isn't it." He chuckled lightly.

Inside, he glanced around the large room and took a second to appreciate the colorful majesty of the numerous feathered inhabitants. Finally letting his gaze settle on the gentleman that Christopher could only assume was Charlemange. His choice of style and attire could almost have been comical, if the man didn't seem just so comfortable in it.

On 5/20/2020 at 2:53 AM, RocketLord said:

He turned, a smile on his lips, as he spread out his arms. "My friends! It is good to see you!"

Christopher returned the smile, but motioned to Oz to be the first to greet his friend.

"Oh if you only knew the half of it." Oz said with a smirk and a wink he allowed himself a moment to regard the changed entryway with amazement before turning to adress charlemagne.

"And you as well my friend, it is welcome news to find you in good health and high spirits!" he stated as he made his way over.

"I must say i am a fan of what you've done with the place...such colour and vibrancy as only life can have." he said offering his hand to charlemagne for the customary handshake.

"though I fear our new friends profession bolds ill news, please my friends you must allow me to aid you in anyway I can." he said looking from charlemaign to Mr Day with enthusiasm

GM

"Ah, if only you weren't right, my friend." Charlemagne eagerly shook Oz's hand, before he turned his attention to Blackstaff.

Approaching, the jovial man extended a hand towards the newcomer. "And you must be Christoper Daye of Blackstaff Investigations!" His grip was firm, but not hard. Barry waddled by, disappearing into a room. "I am Charles Charlemagne, and as our mutual friend implied, I am afraid this is not a social call."

He paused. For dramatic effect, maybe? Turning to address both, Charlemagne continued.

"Some of my pets have gone missing. I would like your help in finding them."

Christopher smiled as the two friends reacquainted themselves.

17 hours ago, RocketLord said:

Approaching, the jovial man extended a hand towards the newcomer. "And you must be Christoper Daye of Blackstaff Investigations!" His grip was firm, but not hard.

"I hope so, that's what all my cards say." He tried to project calm and reassuring manner.

17 hours ago, RocketLord said:

"I am Charles Charlemagne, and as our mutual friend implied, I am afraid this is not a social call."

He paused. For dramatic effect, maybe? Turning to address both, Charlemagne continued.

"Some of my pets have gone missing. I would like your help in finding them."

Christopher's posture shifted ever so slightly as he mentally shifted to a business mindset.

"Missing?" He repeated. "As in they escaped, or 'missing', as in they were taken? And are any of them considered dangerous?"

He asked wanting to get to what he thought might be two of the most important questions out in the beginning.

GM

Charlemagne shot a glance at Barry as he walked in. The penguin looked embarassed, even if it was a bit hard to tell, since he was a penguin, after all.

"An escape! And a most daring one at that!" He chuckled a bit as Barry hurried up while pushing his cart with tea and cakes. "My cockatrice escaped after someone forgot to wear their protective goggles. It led to a bit of chaos, and it managed to bring a jackalope along and escaped into the city. Obviously, I would like to have them brought back here safe and sound, but they could be anywhere out there, and the cockatrice can at least be quite dangerous."

Christopher gives a look of concern at the mention of a cockatrice. "Obviously." He agreed. "I would like to return them to you unharmed, as well."

Pulling a small notepad and pen. "How long have they been missing? And where could they have appeared around the time they escaped the grounds?" He asked ignoring the man's obvious jabs at his assistant.

"oh ho, quite a fascinating creature! I studied them in my home dimension for their powers to transmute flesh to stone!" he began excitedly "uh...is that what they do here?" he added after some thought "there is a lot of things in this world ive yet to compare notes with." he explained sheepishly.

"they're prey animals back home, predated by creatures their gaze doesn't effect, those that are already largely composed of stone like gargoyles or resistant to the effects due to their own petrification powers, such as basillisks"

GM

Barry the Butler huffed at Oz's question. "Yes, that is what they do here. I will make sure to fetch you some protective goggles."

Charlemagne shook his head with some amusement at Barry as the penguin waddled away. "Neil... that's the cockatrice, by the way... is just an adventurous sort. He honestly doesn't know how dangerous he is, he just wants to go out and see the world. Meet some people. Unfortunately, his gaze isn't the best for being around people. He will probably be somewhere outside with a lot of people. A market, a park, something like that. Travis the jackalope is a bit, well, different. He's probably finding somewhere high up to take a nap. I honestly don't know why he bothered to escape in the first place."

"As for the time..." Charlemagne looked at his arm, where a watch materialized. "I had the invitations delivered to the two of you about 3 hours ago, so I'd say they've been gone for about 4. I would like to go myself, but its not so simple for me to leave. I need to tend to the rest of my pets, of course."

• 3 weeks later...

Christopher nodded as he scribble a few notes. “And your entrance seems to move, where would it have been at the time?” He looks up at Charlemagne. “Just so we have a starting point to search from. Unless they could have escaped to a different location?”

As they wait for Barry to return with the goggles Christopher considers his notes. “Is there anything they like that we could use as bait? Food they can’t resist, a favorite possession or toy,  or the like?”

• 3 weeks later...

"they're generally rather docile if memory recalls, like a farm animal essentially chickens, little bit oppertunistic when they come across a mouse or something similar, i don't think they eat creatures they petrify though if memory serves thats the basilisk's preferance."

"magizoology isn't my strongest suit though, i imagine corn or something similar would suffice though, or some manner of grains, our main worry will be if any of the mystic animals from the border woods have been drawn out to hunt it, or if those poachers are still somehow active."

GM

Barry returned, two pairs of rather heavy protective goggles on a platet in front of him, held gingerly on his flippers. He held it out to Blackstaff and Oz, waiting for them to take it.

"Well, we have not moved yet, but knowing the two, Neil would look for some area with a lot of people. The Yellow Brick Road shopping district, perhaps? Travis would be somewhere up high. As high as he could get." He paused briefly, and started searching his pockets. "Ah, yes, yes. Treats." He finally found something in his pockets, pulling out a pair of small brown paper bogs. Each had the name of one of the pets listed on it. "These should do just fine!" He held them out, waiting for Oz and Blackstaff to take the bounty he held in his hand.

• 2 weeks later...

"Thank you." Christopher thanked Barry as he accepted the offered googles. Tucking them in to a pocket for the time being as she stepped up to Charlemagne and also accepted the bags.

"The Yellow Brock Road shopping district? That's as good as any place to start." He gives Charlemagne a confident smile and a nod. Pocketing the bags with the googles Christopher turns. "On the clock, and it's already ticking." He starts to head towards the doors. "With any luck, your missing pets will be home before you know it."

"indeed my friend indeed!" Oz trumpeted in his ever enthusiastic way as he pocketed his glasses and affixed the goggles to his face.

"let us away to the chase whilst the day is young and the tracks are fresh!"

clasping his hands together and incanting breifly he then flung a small purple disc of energy that swelled into a portal, through which a relatively clean and quiet back alley lay.

"my usual transport point when i visit the yellow brick row." he explained to the two other men.

"best i dont get seen teleporting again lest the power seeking cults pester me to join them in their folly again."

GM

"Best of luck. I look forward to your swift return." Charlemagne's voice faded behind them.

---

The Yellow Brick Row was a flurry of activity, as was usual. The shops were still open, people were walking through the street, happily chatting, shopping, dining, enjoying the finest Yellow Brick Row experience that Emerald City could offer.

At first glance, everything seemed normal. No signs of any missing pets, supernatural or otherwise. No, it was just the usual night in Emerald City, a bustling, busy city in the Spring.

Oz and Blackstaff had their leads, now they would have to decide how to pursue them.

• 4 weeks later...

Stepping out into a out of sight spot, the hectic flurry of the Yellow Brick Row district hit like a trumpet after the quiet of Charlemange's entrance hall.

"Well, I don't hear any screaming." Blackstaff commented as he paused and listened. "That's good sign so far."

Blackstaff glanced around to get his bearings before he stepped out into the flow of foot traffic. "You've been here before so you know your way around already too." He says as they walk. "If you were a cockatrice that wanted to meet new people, where would you head towards? My top two guesses would be either towards the Cannery if it got hungry or if it was looking for lots of people, the Emerald Palace." Blackstaff asked, using the nickname for the Atlas Mall. He glanced over at Oz to get the other mage's opinion.

"I feel like either would be a good bet, all things considered though if i had to pick one i think i would favour the more open enviroment of the emerald palace, lots of places to run around in and things to hide under if i needed too." oz reasoned as he placed his mind in the form of a cockatrice, even as he tightend the fixings on his petrification protection lense.

"I am able to open portals with a great degree of finesse if you desire to split up and try both however,  or i could attempt to use one of my trinkets....he pondered as he reached into his inside pocket and felt around for a moment "i should have something suitable for short range scrying around here somewhere....magic hand mirror you know, all the rage for busy bodies with nothing better to do than gossip...still quite useful for a situation such as this...not that hard to keep in working order either." he explained as he pulled the elegent handmirror out from his pocket by its marble handle.

"lets see what we can see!"

Edited by Exaccus

GM

Atlas Mall was as busy as any part of the Yellow Brick Row, with people moving around, talking and chatting. A new movie was out, a children's movie about a brave rooster, which meant a lot of activity centered around the cinema. Popcorn was spilled, people were chatting. Moving around, waiting in lines, some getting annoyed, some having fun, a lot of children all around.

A few rooster statues were positioned around the cinema. The children laughed and pointed at the silly birds.

And, as Oz would see, there was something slightly amiss. In a corner in the candy shop stood a little mouse made of stone.