A true horror, the co-ed Halloween Dance

Cyrith

It's beginning to fill up fast in the makeshift dance hall. Seemingly every student is coming to this event. Darian is filled with happiness and dread at the same time. Happiness because he wants to get out there and talk to each and every one of these people. Dread because he has to. He plants the skull-tipped walking stick in the gym floor and pulls himself up to standing from the bleachers. "Where will I start," he tries to say it, but it comes out more like a mumble. He sees the boy who told him about the fog machine. Perfect place to start, he thinks. Planning to be in character, he walks over to Gordy with hunched over posture and a zombie-like gait. By the time he reaches his destination, Gordy is already talking to someone dressed in a Raven costume. He clears his throat and greets the both of them, "'ey mon, 'ow ya doin'," his alto voice does not do the Baron's deep gravelly voice justce.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The original Raven eh? You make it yourself?"

"Yeah, I took the materials I used in the geckosuit and made 'em black. Already had a utility belt too. I'm assuming you made yours, I remember you're into all that theatrical stuff?"

Then a strangely high-voiced loa came over to the two of them and greeted them. "'sup, Darian?"

"Oh, hello Chris," Darian stands up in his regular straight posture, "I did not notice you for your costume. It is put together very well." He leans on his walking stick, "Unlike mine, I just based it off of the voodoun god of death. Well, more like the guy running around Freedom City impersonating him. Or maybe a little bit of both." Looking to Gordy, "Forgive me, I came over here to tell you that your fog machine does not work because," he pauses for a second or two, thinking about what he saw in the fog machine. They will think that I am crazy if I tell them the truth, he thinks, Well, maybe I could tell him a little bit of the truth. After the ackward silence, his eyes glaze over and he speaks quickly, "There is a hole in the fluid container and it seems the coolant has leaked out it."

Gordy listens to the news and looks annoyed for a second before shrugging his shoulders? "Well, what can you do? I can ask around to see if there's another bottle of it somewhere, but the parties already underway. And I doubt you want to spend a party fixing an old fog machine. Personally, I think it's time to dance!" Gordy suits actions to words and begins swiveling and gyrating in an exuberant dance that in no way matches the beat of the current song, drawing some looks from the newer students and eye rolls of recognition from those who already know him.

Darian smiles and blushes at what he percieves to be Gordy's foolishness. "I am not here to," Darian catches himself in mid-sentence and corrects himself, "Well, if I were to get someone to dance with, it would be great, but I doubt that will happen." He sighs, but then smiles, "I am here for the social atmosphere. To meet with my peers on their level. Maybe I will even meet a few new faces."

Gordy looked at the party going on around him, and smiled. So far so good. But still, he thought it could be better. 'Maybe a slow dance. Slow dances can be fun.' The teen party planner goes over to the DJ and whispers a few words. The man nods and when the current song finishes up he starts up with slow dance classic "She Don't Know She's Beautiful." As the flashing lights cut out and the room takes on a more romantic lighting, Gordy smiles. 'Probably for the best the fog machine didn't work. Would have killed the ambiance of this moment.'

Darian smiles, "Well, I hope this works out for you." He didn't know how to go about asking someone to dance, or even how to dance. "So, how do you do this," he asks looking to both Chris and Gordy, "I have never been to a social event such as this one. I would like to learn the formalities."

Gordy hangs back from asking Changeling to dance to try and help the new kid out. The first slow dance of the night was always a little awkward, but has to be doubly or triply bad for the kid who didn't even use contractions in every day speech. "Well, first things first, relax. If you seem on edge it's going to be very off putting. Second thing, look around at who isn't already dancing, and see who keeps looking at the dance floor. That means they probably want to dance, but no one has asked them. Third, smile when you ask. Just try not to leer."

"Yeah, the dude's right!" grinned Chris. "You just gotta chill. Go up and ask people to dance, smile while you do it and if you get brushed off, well... hey, it's no big deal. Happens to everyone. Don't worry about the dancing part, everyone looks equally like an idiot whether they admit it or not. I've always seen it as the point."

Darian looks around to the various groups around the gymnasium. Their group is the smallest of them, but everyone seems to be with someone tonight. "Well, maybe an observation is in order," he questions his two mentors. "Surely, you two have done this before," he says hopefully, "Maybe if I see you two out there doing what you do I can get a better idea of what to do."

'Crap. Called my bluff. I wonder if that new girl is still here.' "Oh, yes, a demonstration. Well, let me see, who isn't dancing. I find a good place to look is near the food tables. Boredom and food, hand in hand." Gordy scans the room looking for Lullaby, fairly certain he can get her to agree to dance. But that's when his eyes settled on Changeling. 'Well, this is a good opportunity' Gordy smiled at the guys around him and walked up to Changeling. "Hey, you want to dance?"

• 2 weeks later...

Darian mentially notes everything Gordy is doing. He steps back to Chris and narrates what he observes, as if he is looking for confirmation of his analysis is correct. "He approaches her. They exchange greetings. They both look a little uneasy as they do. They dance and talk. The talk tooks a little forced though. Hypothesis: this is what way it is supposed to go?"

Taking a grape off a plate, tossing it up in the air and catching it in his mouth, Chris pauses as Darian talks. "Not reeeally supposed to, but it happens. Maybe she just ain't digging him. What you generally hope for is that you hit it off well, so you want the talking to be better than the dancing."

• 1 month later...

Changeling nodded her head at Gordy's question. "Yes, I am! I never knew people could be so imaginative. Everyone is dressed up so nicely."

"There's Lady Liberty, Siren, Daedalus, and even Johnny Rocket," the young girl said as she pointed out various students dressed like members of the Freedom League. "There's even some people dressed up like villains!"

Gordy could see that there were a large number of the students dressed up like the famous villains within the city. There was Granite and Professor Fathom of the Factor Four, Devil Ray and Maestro of the Crime League, as well as various smaller known villains.

"Oh! Look, is that not King Kong?"

Chageling's sudden cry of delight drew Gordy's attention towards the gym's entrance where a gorilla costumed person entered. Just behind the gorilla, there were five more people dressed as were-creatures: two tigers, two rhinos, and another gorilla. The group also wore belts with various devices strapped to them. It looked like Plaent of the Apes meets Star Trek to the young musician.

Chris and Darian continued to watch Gordy's dance with Changeling, each wondering how the young man was doing. Both saw Chaglenign's gasp of delight and gesture towards teh door where a group of people dressed like were-animals entered the gym.

Two were gorillas though the one in front seemed to be the leader. Behind him came two were-tigers and two were-rhinos. All six wore belts with various looking devices upon the belts. It looked like Planet of the Apes meets Star Trek.

"I don't think that's that King Kong. Mind you I never did see the remake, and with Jack Black involved, it just might be. Definitely original though. We might even have some new forerunners for the costume contest. Personally I think the Were-Tigers look coolest. They remind me of creatures in my dads old table top gaming books. Something with an R. I just liked reading about all the different fantasy characters."

'Excellent, got her talking. Those weird costumes were a blessing in disguise. Keep asking questions.'

"Sooo, do you like to read?"

• 2 weeks later...

Changeling looks back at Gordy and shakes her head. "No. I find the words hard to grasp at times. Besides, there's so many things to do other than spend time reading."

The strange group of were-animals moved over to the steam machine and teh gorilla bent down to play with the device while the others all stood around him, blocking the view to what was actually happening.

Chris' call of attention manages to go over the music and a number of the students stop dancing to see what is going on. The gorilla bent over the machine ignored Chris' call and continued his work. His companions however reacted differently. The standing gorilla spoke softly to the Rhinos that nodded their heads. The Rhinos keep their gaze upon Chris as he moves closer.

Before he could reach them, the gorilla working on the machine flips the switch. Red smoke shoots out of the machine with surprising speed until it fills the complete room. Most students thought the smoke was nothing more than another part of the dance, they smiled as their lungs sucked in large quanties of the gas.

Changeling smiled as the smoke covered her and Gordy. "Gordy! Look at the red smoke! Isn't it beauti...."

As the smoke entered her lungs, Changeling's eyes glazed over and her body became stiff. A look around the room showed that everyone else had also been affected by the red smoke. Only three people other than the were animals seemed to still retain their sense.

Both Chris and Darian could see that the smoke had some strange effect on the other students and only Gordy, other than themselves, seemed to be unaffected by the smoke.

The Gorilla that was working on the machine stood up and noticed that three had escaped the smoke. "Hmm, three still not affected. I'll have to refine the formula later. No matter. Dispose of them."

Darian is without his inventions. Even the one that protects him from bodily harm. Why did they have to pick now to do this, he thinks as he looks around for some to work with. He spots His messenger bag on the other side of the gym. Surely I remembered to bring something. Pausing for a second to take a breath, he holds it as he does a full sprint to the other side of the gym.

• 2 weeks later...

Darian was the first to react and react he did. The young man ran all out to the other side of the gym where he could see the exit. As he moved pass his frozen classmates, he could see the were-animals adjust thier path, splitting their attentions between the three heroes.

Three of the creatures moved from the smoke machine. A rhino went after Darian, bowling over the people in his way. They fell like bowling pins.

A rhino went deeper unto the dance floor, knocking down people frozen in twists and turns. He gets within a few feet of Gordy and a smile of delight was upon his face.

A tiger went towards the refreshments and unlike its companions, moved with grace and speed, avoiding the frozen people until it was within pouncing distance of Chris.

No weapons. Little defences. No plan. Improvise! Chris bounded towards the tiger, his hand flying to his utility belt as he did so. "Rising up," he sang off-tune as he jumped up again, tossing a smokebomb to the ground at the tiger's feet. "Back on the streeeeeet, did my time, took my chances," he continued, a cloud of smoke blossoming up as he landed on his feet and skipped forward a few steps, waving his cape around behind him.

Gordy found himself royally angry. He doesn't even notice that Chris is singing, something he'd normally make a snarky comment about. He'd finally had a chance to talk to Changeling, and now these freaks, costumed or otherwise, had gone and messed that up. The teen super calls up his wall of sound, narrows his eyes and screams at the Rhino in front of him for all his worth. "You SUCK!"

Darian thinks as his heart pounds in his chest, I have got to think of something quick. I am defenseless and unarmed against an anthropomorphic rhinoceros. Rhinoceri are not that smart maybe this will work! Darian points his cane and shrieks at the rhino man, "I am Baron Samedi! Come any closer and I will make you my zombie!"